Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2022, 11:33 PM   #2001
Edward64
Head Coach

I consider the Texas-USC championship game, with Vince Young & Reggie Bush, as the best championship game/bowl game that I've seen.

I don't remember that game that much anymore but I remember it being back and forth quite a bit, and it was Vince Young who literally carried Texas to the win. Today, it was OSU all the way until GA came back in late 4Q.

So I'd still put the Texas-USC as #1 and this GA-OSU as #2.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 11:33 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:34 PM   #2002
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ruggles finishes his career (presumably) without ever hitting a field goal of 50 or more. 0/5 lifetime, dating back to his time at UNC.

His previous brush with infamy was missing a 35 yarder that could have won the eventual 6OT game against Va Tech in 2019.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:35 PM   #2003
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Now that it is 2023, Stetson’s pension is going to kick in. I wonder if he’ll come out of retirement to play the championship game.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:36 PM   #2004
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Now that it is 2023, Stetson’s pension is going to kick in. I wonder if he’ll come out of retirement to play the championship game.

Rumors of a walk-on named Betson Stennet can't be too far away
Old 12-31-2022, 11:37 PM   #2005
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Rumors of a walk-on named Betson Stennet can't be too far away

Happy New Year, Jon
Old 12-31-2022, 11:38 PM   #2006
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks for the entertainment today.

Catch up with y'all on the Monday games

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-31-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:39 PM   #2007
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I consider the Texas-USC championship game, with Vince Young & Reggie Bush, as the best championship game/bowl game that I've seen.

I don't remember that game that much anymore but I remember it being back and forth quite a bit, and it was Vince Young who literally carried Texas to the win. Today, it was OSU all the way until GA came back in late 4Q.

So I'd still put the Texas-USC as #1 and this GA-OSU as #2.
I think the Rose Bowl in 2018 with UGA-Oklahoma was the best bowl game/playoff game I ever saw. It went back and forth in the fourth quarter and then went to overtime. Georgia won in the second overtime on a touchdown after they blocked an Oklahoma FG attempt. This one was more frustrating than exciting.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:41 PM   #2008
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Ugh. What a day. Glad we cooked a nice gourmet meal and stayed away from the internet.

But... every time I'm even tempted to think about TCY again, something like that happens. What a mess. At least I'll be OK with it in a few hours. It used to bother me a lot more.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:44 PM   #2009
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think the Rose Bowl in 2018 with UGA-Oklahoma was the best bowl game/playoff game I ever saw. It went back and forth in the fourth quarter and then went to overtime. Georgia won in the second overtime on a touchdown after they blocked an Oklahoma FG attempt. This one was more frustrating than exciting.

Hmmm. I don't remember that game.

But 2018 was with Chad Morris and I'm sure I was in my "depths of despair" and had soured on college football (we were 0-8 in SEC and 2-10 overall)
Old 01-01-2023, 06:37 AM   #2010
Edward64
Head Coach

Misc thoughts
  1. I feel for the Ruggles. The booth said a couple times that kickers live for this moment. Yeah, maybe a 30-40 yard FG but not a 50 yarder to win or lose it. He must feel like crap and hope he has greater success (and brush this off) so this is not hanging over him for the rest of his life
  2. I know great college QBs don't near often enough translate into solid pros. But hoping to see both Stroud (likely) and Bennett (less likely) play regularly on Sundays
  3. Replays are good. There were targeting calls in both semifinal games (and Hogs in the Liberty Bowl) that was somewhat controversial. The NCAA needs to better educate fans on what's targeting or not ... at least 3 examples to share their rationale
  4. Don't know his politics. But unless he is an extremist or does really stupid crap, I'd vote for Stetson for Senate/Congress

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-01-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #2011
GrantDawg

I'm sort of mad the announcers who didn't point out what Jon did. They made Riggles sound like he was automatic when the truth was he has never kicked a 50 yard FG. His longest is 48, and he has missed all 5 he has attempted. It made the miss sound worse that it actually was.

As for Bennett, I think he will make a great coach some day if he chooses that route. I think he was planning on going to law school before this all happened. But the only talent he has that is NFL level is heart.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #2012
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah I had no idea. That makes the last sequence even weirder. It infuriates me when NFL teams get to about the 35 and settle for a FG. Even more ridiculous when college teams do it especially when they don't have a reliable long-range kicker. Personally, I would have rolled Stroud out 2-3 times and given him a pass/scramble option. Once he's rolled out he's already out of the pocket so he can throw it away instead of a sack and you try it again. Maybe he gets 8-10 yards on a scramble/D breakdown.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #2013
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah I had no idea. That makes the last sequence even weirder. It infuriates me when NFL teams get to about the 35 and settle for a FG. Even more ridiculous when college teams do it especially when they don't have a reliable long-range kicker. Personally, I would have rolled Stroud out 2-3 times and given him a pass/scramble option. Once he's rolled out he's already out of the pocket so he can throw it away instead of a sack and you try it again. Maybe he gets 8-10 yards on a scramble/D breakdown.
I think that would have been a good call. Georgia was exhausted and down to their third and fourth string linebackers. I don't know if they could have kept Stroud contained at that point. They definitely needed to get at least 5 more yards for that kick to be comfortable.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #2014
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Ugh. What a day. Glad we cooked a nice gourmet meal and stayed away from the internet.

But... every time I'm even tempted to think about TCY again, something like that happens. What a mess. At least I'll be OK with it in a few hours. It used to bother me a lot more.

You should totally think about TCY again! I can't get it installed on Windows 11
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #2015
GrantDawg

These are some crazy numbers...
Old 01-01-2023, 11:50 AM   #2016
GrantDawg

And then there is this crazy stat...
Old 01-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #2017
Edward64
Head Coach

I can see Dawgs winning by 13.5+.

The over under seems like a gimme, anyone got $20 I can borrow?

Quote:
TCU vs. Georgia opening odds
Spread: Georgia -13.5
Total: 62.5
Moneyline: Georgia - 500, TCU +400
Old 01-01-2023, 12:57 PM   #2018
GrantDawg

You know the best way to make sure that the game doesn't go over? It's me putting money on it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #2019
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought the O/U was the toughest play to pick.

Something like 42-14 seems very possible and that's a TD short.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:47 PM   #2020
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Grayson McCall exits the portal, will return to Coastal Carolina.

Depending on which version of the Twitterverse you believe, it was an academic issue of some sort that prevented him from going to Auburn or Florida. (one version says grades, another version says it was something to do with credits that wouldn't transfer due to his major)
Old 01-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #2021
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Depending on which version of the Twitterverse you believe, it was an academic issue of some sort that prevented him from going to Auburn or Florida. (one version says grades, another version says it was something to do with credits that wouldn't transfer due to his major)

Color me shocked that he's coming back. Not sure what the reason is behind it, but glad to see him back in teal.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:35 PM   #2022
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

That is wild, he must have just not been going to class at all. Maybe he thought these other schools would be willing to take him anyway. At least CCU was in a predicament enough to keep him around.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:39 PM   #2023
Edward64
Head Coach

So any predictions for Top 3-6?

Assuming a non-blowout, GA and TCU will occupy the top 2 spots.

I’m thinking …

3. OSU (possibly #2 if there is a blowout)
4. AL
5. TN
6. MI
Old 01-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #2024
HerRealName
College Prospect

Michigan is locked in at 3 and Ohio State at 4. I would predict Bama at 5 but I would put Tenn at 5 due to head to head.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:24 PM   #2025
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
That is wild, he must have just not been going to class at all. Maybe he thought these other schools would be willing to take him anyway. At least CCU was in a predicament enough to keep him around.

I saw some attempts to explain it as being not grades but rather courses (or something like that). Looking at some stuff about Coastal & courses (and what they will/won't transfer out) I wonder if he may have taken some correspondence courses or something of that sort.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:12 PM   #2026
JPhillips
General Manager

Transfer credits vary from school to school, so that could be true, but I'd need to see a transcript and know the transfer rules of that particular school to know for sure.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #2027
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I saw some attempts to explain it as being not grades but rather courses (or something like that). Looking at some stuff about Coastal & courses (and what they will/won't transfer out) I wonder if he may have taken some correspondence courses or something of that sort.
I could easily see some upper class level courses not transferring, but he's also been there 4 years now he can't figure out a way to graduate? Seems like something that should have been checked before he started soliciting NIL offers, but c'est la vie. Also a little surprised he's not going NFL draft in that case, he must have gotten some bad grades from NFL scouts because he can't prove anything more in the Sun Belt and that sparkling TD/INT ratio that's his biggest selling point can only go down.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 09:47 PM   #2028
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I could easily see some upper class level courses not transferring, but he's also been there 4 years now he can't figure out a way to graduate? Seems like something that should have been checked before he started soliciting NIL offers, but c'est la vie. Also a little surprised he's not going NFL draft in that case, he must have gotten some bad grades from NFL scouts because he can't prove anything more in the Sun Belt and that sparkling TD/INT ratio that's his biggest selling point can only go down.

As I understand the twitter stuff, he can graduate from CC just fine, but would have been set back had he transferred

(I know only the peanut gallery stuff I saw, no clue what the actual deal is beyond that)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:34 AM   #2029
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I can see Dawgs winning by 13.5+.

13.5 seems high to me. If I were betting on the game, I'd take TCU plus the points.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:46 AM   #2030
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
13.5 seems high to me. If I were betting on the game, I'd take TCU plus the points.

Admittedly, probably overconfidence that the Dawgs will be PO'd at their lack of dominance vs OSU, and will come out extra motivated.

But that's just the homer in me.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:47 AM   #2031
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Huge resorts in the middle of the desert have been constructed on this statement.

Just curious, do you think it goes over or under the total?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #2032
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

The backdoor will be wide open with a number like that. I agree I would take TCU.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:48 AM   #2033
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Huge resorts in the middle of the desert have been constructed on this statement.

Just curious, do you think it goes over or under the total?

Thinking over.

But the caveat is my prior post
Quote:
Admittedly, probably overconfidence that the Dawgs will be PO'd at their lack of dominance vs OSU, and will come out extra motivated.

But that's just the homer in me.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:58 AM   #2034
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Thinking over.

But the caveat is my prior post

Eh.

If you think the Dawgs come out motivated I can see a situation where they go up big then grind down clock. I think in a game like this best case scenario for the over is a close game where both teams have to keep pace.

If you think the dawgs cover and the game goes over they have to score a minimum of 39 points. Not impossible by any stretch but a pretty good sized number.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #2035
Edward64
Head Coach

My rationale is I don't think the Dawgs pass defense is that great and was exposed by OSU. So Dawgs will need to win by scoring.

If I was Dykes, I'd reach out to Day and ask for coaches one-on-one meetings for insight & game planning.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:32 AM   #2036
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice tributes to Mike Leach.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:51 PM   #2037
Edward64
Head Coach

Watch LSU vs Purdue. That was some LSU tackle ending with knee to the chest. Yeah he was down and good replay overturn
Old 01-02-2023, 01:11 PM   #2038
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Make lemonade out of lemons. Make the move and give him/her a hug?

So follow up to this, the Michigan fan said when we got to his house that he was sick. Kept my distance and we sat in a open garage.

Wake up this morning with the feeling like i swallowed water down the wrong pipe and now I'm stuck in bed with a fever while still trying to make the pork butt I started early this morning.

This is fun times.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #2039
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ah, makes for good viewing when your three low-round potential draftees sit out.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:10 PM   #2040
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #2041
Edward64
Head Coach

Desperate IL laterals resulting in an interception and run back for TD.

Fitting end. Congrats Miss State
Old 01-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #2042
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So follow up to this, the Michigan fan said when we got to his house that he was sick. Kept my distance and we sat in a open garage.

Wake up this morning with the feeling like i swallowed water down the wrong pipe and now I'm stuck in bed with a fever while still trying to make the pork butt I started early this morning.

This is fun times.

Uh oh. Sorry to hear. Hope it’s nothing serious
Old 01-02-2023, 02:35 PM   #2043
Edward64
Head Coach

Went back to LSU v Purdue. Ouch. Tigers taking care of business.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #2044
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Georgia fan's explanation for his viral shirtless photo makes it even more priceless.

He wanted good luck and … it worked

I think he’ll be doing more of this in the future
Old 01-02-2023, 02:43 PM   #2045
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
He wanted good luck and … it worked

I think he’ll be doing more of this in the future

If so I hope he hits the gym...
Old 01-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #2046
Ksyrup

Ummm... USC is imploding.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #2047
Ksyrup

TULANE GONNA WIN!
Old 01-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #2048
Ksyrup

What a picture!

Old 01-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #2049
GrantDawg

Old 01-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #2050
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What a picture!

Agree. And kinda cute

(much better than the "cobra")

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-02-2023 at 04:32 PM.