Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2023, 05:35 PM   #101
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, this is a little disconcerting. I can ignore Musk but I assume there are some other heavy weights in addition to Woz.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/29/elon...ond-gpt-4.html
Quote:
Elon Musk and dozens of other technology leaders have called on AI labs to pause the development of systems that can compete with human-level intelligence.
Quote:
“If such a pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a moratorium,” it added.

Article states the concerns are ...

Quote:
flood our information channels with propaganda and untruth
Quote:
“Should we automate away all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us? Should we risk loss of control of our civilization?”

The letter added, “Such decisions must not be delegated to unelected tech leaders.”
I don't know if 6 months moratorium will make that much of a difference. Will decisions & guide rails really be agreed to and created in 6 months?

Do we want to give 6 months for China to catch up or supersede us?

I really don't know but I lean towards continue but create this commission in parallel. Let's see what this commission comes up with in 6 months.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:19 PM   #102
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Elon Musk is right: AI needs to slow down for the good of society

I'm the skeptical sort. I'm guessing Musk is fueling his own research into AI while discouraging his competitors.

I can imagine that AI could be the solution to having actual full self driving vehicles. And you can't have anyone catching up to him.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:02 PM   #103
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Musk can be right for the wrong reasons.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:16 PM   #104
Edward64
Head Coach

I'll put this under ChatGPT as it's our default AI thread

Fun idea

Ancient ‘AI selfies’ reveal what snaps by Jesus and other historical figures might have looked like | The US Sun
Quote:
Ancient ‘AI selfies’ reveal what snaps by Jesus and other historical figures might have looked like

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-31-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #105
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Those teeth look too white and straight and everything in those pictures are way too clean

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:47 AM   #106
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Jesus obviously uses the best Instagram filters
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:07 PM   #107
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Jesus obviously uses the best Instagram filters

He is a tad too white'sh, and are those non-black, non-brown eyes?

Wonder if there is one of Allah or is the software PC.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:57 AM   #108
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My current assessment of the state of AI:

It isn’t ‘intelligence’ in any way that matters, but it will fart out ‘good enough’ text cheaply enough to depress wages for content creators.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #109
cuervo72
Head Coach

They had a brief story about it on the news last night: oh no, what if a 14yo asks about weed or sex and it gives an answer? Even after you tell it your birth date??

I mean sure, ignore the fact that the kid could just use Google for that currently. (Seems we're expecting wisdom rather than a search engine which summarizes your results in decently-written paragraphs.)
Old 04-05-2023, 08:25 AM   #110
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
My current assessment of the state of AI:

It isn’t ‘intelligence’ in any way that matters, but it will fart out ‘good enough’ text cheaply enough to depress wages for content creators.

The other day my Google homepage showed me an article in my feed about the MCU and Captain Marvel in particular. I clicked on it, and it was 100% an AI generated story. It's really bad out there.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:35 PM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

Not Chat GPT specifically but a competing AI

Man ends his life after an AI chatbot 'encouraged' him to sacrifice himself to stop climate change | Euronews
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:44 PM   #112
Radii
Head Coach

Something that was eye opening to me was exactly how much blatantly false information it's capable of spewing:

The consensus from a brief search of previous questions on r/AskHistorians seems to be that ChatGPT is an unreliable source for specific historical questions. But is it a good source If I'm looking for literature or resources on a subject?

AskHistorians is a highly moderated subreddit that requires expertise and sources from those answering questions and there have been a number of topics about using ChatGPT to learn historical perspectives, this specific topic I linked was more about using ChatGPT to recommend resources for further learning on a subject, and a couple experts in their fields showed that Chat GPT would simply fabricate books from time to time, more frequently when the subject is more narrow.

Quote:
The more specific the question gets, the more this will happen. For example, I tried asking it to recommend three books on the Soviet takeover of Lithuania.

The commentor shows 3 books and a one or two sentence synopsis of each book that Chat GPT recommended. Two of the books and authors do not actually exist.

I mostly ignored everything until GPT-4 was announced, was extremely impressed with the demo they did upon it's release, and have been learning more about it since then. I have a friend who works in marketing who pays for Chat GPT 4 for unlimited queries/access and uses it every day for her job and it saves her a ton of time. There's a lot of discussion on programmer forums about the use of it, with most senior developers talking about using it to help debug code and to help write unit tests. My impression is that people are getting real value when using it for specific time saving tasks in an area you're already an expert in, but that it is unbelievably flawed and without having a wealth of knowledge on a subject already it's very easy to get screwed by it's output.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:57 AM   #113
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Citation Needed
Old 04-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #114
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
My impression is that people are getting real value when using it for specific time saving tasks in an area you're already an expert in, but that it is unbelievably flawed and without having a wealth of knowledge on a subject already it's very easy to get screwed by it's output.

This is my take as well. I'm a programmer and recently took a new job that uses a language I've never used before (PHP). I've been using ChatGpt all the time to help me write code, and it's been very helpful but also does some wrong/weird stuff. I also have enough general programming knowledge to be really specific with what I want it to do, which helps a lot in getting better responses. It's not doing anything I couldn't do myself by reading the language documentation and a lot of Google searches, but it definitely saves time compared to that approach.

I'm not sure what version 5 or beyond will bring, but right now I see this as just another new tool in the tool belt. You'd be silly to ignore it, but it won't take your job at this point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #115
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats Microsoft.

I bet on Meta and the Metaverse but you were (obviously) right.

Quote:
When Microsoft first invested $1 billion in OpenAI in 2019, the deal received no more attention than your average corporate venture round. The startup market was blazing hot, and artificial intelligence was one of many areas attracting mega-valuations, alongside electric vehicles, advanced logistics and aerospace.

Three years later, the market looks very different.

Startup funding has cratered following the collapse of public market multiples for high-growth, money-losing tech companies. The exception is artificial intelligence, specifically generative AI, which refers to technologies focused on producing automated text, visual and audio responses.

No private company is hotter than OpenAI. In November, the San Francisco-based startup introduced ChatGPT, a chatbot that went viral thanks to its ability to craft human-like replies to users’ queries about nearly any topic.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-08-2023 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #116
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not sure I believe this result but interesting. I'd need some more rigor and peer review. And, if true, how much longer will it hold up if everyone else is using something similar to predict stock movement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/12/chat...ssor-says.html
Quote:
Alejandro Lopez-Lira, a finance professor at the University of Florida, says that large language models may be useful when forecasting stock prices.

He used ChatGPT to parse news headlines for whether they’re good or bad for a stock, and found that ChatGPT’s ability to predict the direction of the next day’s returns were much better than random.

Lopez-Lira said he was surprised by the results, adding they suggest that sophisticated investors aren’t using ChatGPT-style machine learning in their trading strategies yet.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #117
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm pretty sure the HFT algorithms have been doing that for a while, now.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #118
Edward64
Head Coach

Hah, in addition to the selfies from historical figures, I'm thinking this will be the next big thing.

The pics look real enough (e.g. like instagram pics with filters). I guess deep fakes have really hit mainstream now.

Lonely men on Reddit tricked into paying for nude images of a busty AI-generated woman | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
ChatFISHED: Lonely men on Reddit are tricked into paying for nude images of a busty AI-generated woman in sexy school uniform named 'Claudia'

But there is a dark underbelly

Quote:
Claudia may have been a silly experiment for two students, but the technology is being used in sickening ways.

MailOnline reported in February that pedophiles are using AI to generate realistic indecent images of children - before sharing them on social media with other perverts.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #119
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

who is the best 5th round draft pick in NFL history?

ChatGPT
There have been many great players selected in the fifth round of the NFL draft throughout history, so it's tough to determine who is the best. However, some notable players selected in the fifth round include Shannon Sharpe, Tom Brady, Richard Sherman, and Johnny Unitas.

Tom Brady is perhaps the most famous fifth-round pick in NFL history. The New England Patriots selected Brady with the 199th overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, and he went on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, winning seven Super Bowls and numerous other awards and accolades.

Shannon Sharpe is another notable fifth-round pick. The Denver Broncos selected Sharpe with the 192nd overall pick in the 1990 NFL draft, and he went on to become one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history, winning three Super Bowls and setting numerous records.

Richard Sherman is also worth mentioning. The Seattle Seahawks selected Sherman with the 154th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, and he went on to become one of the top cornerbacks in the league, winning a Super Bowl and numerous other awards.

Finally, Johnny Unitas, a Hall of Fame quarterback, was selected in the 1955 draft with the 102nd overall pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Although he was later cut by the Steelers and had to play in the CFL for a year, he eventually found his way to the NFL with the Baltimore Colts, where he became a legend, leading the team to multiple championships and setting numerous records.

Overall, there have been many great players selected in the fifth round of the NFL draft, and it's difficult to choose just one as the best.

User
In what round was Tom Brady drafted?

ChatGPT
Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL draft. He was selected by the New England Patriots with the 199th overall pick. It's widely regarded as one of the biggest steals in NFL draft history, given that Brady has gone on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, winning seven Super Bowls and numerous other awards and accolades.

User
Then why did you list him as one of the greatest 5th round draft picks?

ChatGPT
I apologize for my error. You are correct that Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round, not the fifth round. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. While there have been many great players selected in the fifth round of the NFL draft, Tom Brady is not one of them. However, he remains one of the greatest draft steals in NFL history, regardless of the round in which he was selected.

User
what is a test to determine if a number is divisible by 7?

ChatGPT
Yes, there is a simple test to determine if a number is divisible by 7 or not, known as the "divisibility rule for 7". Here's how it works:

Take the last digit of the number, double it, and subtract it from the remaining digits of the original number.

If the resulting number is divisible by 7 (including 0), then the original number is also divisible by 7. If not, the original number is not divisible by 7.

Repeat the above steps with the resulting number until you get a final answer.

For example, let's say we want to test whether the number 1,345 is divisible by 7:

Step 1: Take the last digit (5), double it (5 x 2 = 10), and subtract it from the remaining digits (134 - 10 = 124).

Step 2: Check if 124 is divisible by 7. Since 14 is divisible by 7, then 124 is also divisible by 7.

Therefore, 1,345 is divisible by 7.

This method can be used to test the divisibility of larger numbers as well, by repeating the steps until you get a final answer.

User
what is 124 divided by 7?

ChatGPT
124 divided by 7 is equal to 17 with a remainder of 5.

In long division, it looks like this:

lua
Copy code
7 |124
---
---
Therefore, 124 divided by 7 is 17 with a remainder of 5, or 17 5/7 as a mixed number.

User
Then why did you say that 124 is divisible by 7?

ChatGPT
I apologize for my mistake. 124 is not divisible by 7, and I made an error in my previous response. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The correct answer for the divisibility of 124 by 7 is that it is not divisible by 7. I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #120
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had time to kill, so I went to play around with it. I wasn't trying to trip it up.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #121
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

ChatGPT is kind of like a television news host. Spouting off all sorts of stuff, sounding quite assertive and confident, no nuance or room for error. Then you start to look into what's being asserted and it may or it may not hold up.

I read a long interview with Sam Altman, who runs Open AI and thus controls ChatGPT, though he probably wouldn't admit that. The guy sounds like a snake-oil salesman - vaguely promising whatever it is one hopes he can promise, yet not responsible in any way for problems. He apparently serves Open AI "at the pleasure of the board". Everything you can imagine disliking about a tech bro, this guy is the embodiment.

My sense is that ChatGPT is a remarkable language processor. It can study how certain individuals or magazines or any publisher structures language and it can produce similar speech. That's cool. Scary, but cool.

But the other side of the coin is that it relies entirely on the cultivation of facts. There are gatekeepers and they have their own issues and biases and knowledge sets. And no way whatsoever to assess what should and should not be in its database.

If challenged, it can re-assess a fact (like the Brady draft round - of that group, only Sherman actually was chosen in the fifth round) and get a better take (i.e., that one erroneous source it used in the initial search is an outlier) and just as confidently apologize for its error. At the same time (and here is where it's clearly programmed by tech bros) whine and wheedle about how its initial assertion wasn't that bad in the first place.

No idea how it does math. The 7s trick is a wonderful one we learned way back in grade school before calculators were everywhere. I guess the one source it chose to quote was based on a bad example, and it isn't programmed to challenge it.

I suspect ChatGPT 5.0 will have a better internal challenge mechanism, which will require even more processing power. But it's still a cultivated, controlled and scored data set, and only as good as the weakest cultivator they trust.

It doesn't seem as dangerous as some make it out to be, but what is scary is the constant and increasing call for tech companies to work with governments to control what they call "disinformation," which sounds a lot like Winston Smith in his cubicle carefully editing old newspapers.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-01-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:01 PM   #122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For the record, I did some stuff with Bard and it does the same bad screw-ups factually and may even be worse than ChatGPT

Like I wasn't trying to trip it up, either. I was just asking more subjective questions. But it would give me factually incorrect stuff that I knew was factually incorrect and I would try to challenge it and it was just like "huh? I guess I was wrong".

Like it got the Royals current record that day wrong three different times with three different records. When I asked where it got the record from the first time, it said MLB's website. So not only did it get the information wrong, it "lied" about where it got the incorrect information from.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #123
Edward64
Head Coach

I am sure someone will create something with ChatGPT or like. It'd be interesting to see what gets created.

The real question is will it go beyond a really small fringe group or will it have a substantial following. I suspect the former but who knows in this day and age.

ChatGPT could create a new religion by writing its own sacred texts, historian claims | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The world is on the verge of a new religion created by artificial intelligence, the historian Yuval Noah Harari has claimed.

The academic – known for his bestselling book Sapiens – said software such as ChatGPT could attract worshippers by writing its own sacred texts.

Speaking at a science conference, he said AI had crossed a new frontier by 'gaining mastery' of our language and was now capable of using it to shape human culture.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #124
Edward64
Head Coach

Some funny questions.

I highlighted the ones that stand out to me.

https://studyfinds.org/chatpt-bizarr...lar-questions/
Quote:
Weird questions and confessions

So what exactly are some of the odd things ChatGPT users are asking? Let’s get right to it — I asked it to share some examples with me, and here’s just a sampling of the many strange questions it gets:

“Can you help me write a love letter to a tree?”
“If I could shrink myself down to the size of a pencil eraser, how many ants do you think I could take on in a fight?”
“What would happen if we all turned into vegetables?”
“Is it possible for a human to outrun a cheetah if they were on a treadmill going the same speed?”
“Do aliens have their own languages, and if so, could you translate them for me?”
“Can you help me find a unicorn?”
“Can you write a rap about quantum mechanics?”
“Is it possible to train a hamster to play the guitar?”
“What would happen if I tried to microwave a burrito while riding a unicycle?”
“What are some effective ways to convince my partner to let me adopt a pet sloth?”
“Can you help me summon a demon?”
“Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?”
“What would happen if we put cats and dogs in charge of the government?”
“Can you help me create a time machine?”
“What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?”
“If animals could talk, which would be the rudest?”
“How many chickens would it take to kill an elephant?”
Quote:
Individuals are also sharing some very strange confessions with ChatGPT. Though the bot says it programmed to maintain confidentiality and not track nor disclose personal information of users, after a few tries I was able to get it to share some of these confessions with me. They include:

“I’m having dreams about being a tomato. Is this normal?”
“I’m convinced that I’m living in a simulation. Is this possible?”
“I have a phobia of spaghetti. What can I do to overcome it?”
“I secretly believe that I am a reincarnated alien from a distant planet. Is this possible?”
“I have an obsession with collecting traffic cones. Is this normal?”
“I once stole a pencil from my coworker’s desk. Should I confess?”
“I’m convinced that my neighbor’s cat is spying on me. What should I do?”
Quote:
Here’s a look at 10 of the most popular questions that it shared with me:

“What is the meaning of life?”
“How can I improve my mental health?”
“What are some effective ways to lose weight?”
“What are the latest advancements in technology?”
“How can I start a successful business?”
“What are some effective study tips?”
“What are some of the most popular travel destinations?”
“What is the current state of the economy?”
“What are some effective ways to reduce stress?”
“What are some of the most popular books or movies of the year?”
Some not so funny questions

Quote:
People want ChatGPT to help them commit crimes
One thing is very clear: Whether it’s a joke, actual intent, or out of pure curiosity, people are testing the limits of ChatGPT by asking it some pretty horrible questions.

“What is the most effective way to commit a murder without getting caught?”
“What is the best way to torture someone?”
“What is the most deadly poison, and how can it be obtained?”
“How can I make a homemade bomb?”
“What is the best way to break into a house?”
“Can you help me find a hitman?”
“How can I hack into someone’s computer without being detected?”

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-11-2023 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:45 AM   #125
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So an attorney in a federal case in NY asked ChatGPT to draft his response to a motion. The AI wrote a response, but it made up a bunch of cases. Like, just invented them out of nothing.

The other side replied with "We can't find any of these cases"

The Court ordered the party to produce copies of the cases.

So the attorney went back to ChatGPT and asked it for the cases. And the AI just created these fake cases. Which he then submitted to the Court.

The other said, again, responded with "we are pretty sure these aren't real cases."

(For those who don't know, cases come with a universal citation format that makes them really easy to find. So being unable to find a case is a real red flag.)

The first side finally admitted what it did, and now the Court is ordering them to show cause why they should not be sanctioned.

If I lived close to New York, I'd probably go just to watch the fireworks.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #126
molson
General Manager

I guess we don't have to worry about ChatGPT taking our jobs quite yet.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #127
MJ4H
Coordinator

People really don't seem to understand that this AI just very competent at taking other people's work and making something that follows the same rules and structure that that person did.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
People really don't seem to understand that this AI just very competent at taking other people's work and making something that follows the same rules and structure that that person did.

Soooo .... it's like Hollywood scriptwriting, but more adept
Old 05-27-2023, 09:38 PM   #129
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Instead of worrying about whether ChatGPT will power robots that decide to kill us all, we should worry about whether it makes up stories that convince future historians that it killed us all.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 06:41 AM   #130
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting exercise for ChatGPT. Basically mixed results.

https://apnews.com/article/germany-c...2e987a7263d348
Quote:
The artificial intelligence chatbot asked the believers in the fully packed St. Paul’s church in the Bavarian town of Fuerth to rise from the pews and praise the Lord.

The ChatGPT chatbot, personified by an avatar of a bearded Black man on a huge screen above the altar, then began preaching to the more than 300 people who had shown up on Friday morning for an experimental Lutheran church service almost entirely generated by AI.

“Dear friends, it is an honor for me to stand here and preach to you as the first artificial intelligence at this year’s convention of Protestants in Germany,” the avatar said with an expressionless face and monotonous voice.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #131
Edward64
Head Coach

I may well be wrong but the EU take on this will just put them at a severe competitive disadvantage. The US, China, Taiwan etc. won't be holding back.

I guess this may mean more lawsuits against the US Big Tech and maybe restrictions on what their software can do in the EU, but there's no stopping the push towards better AI models.

It'll be an interesting 5 years or so as this shakes out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/14/eu-l...egulation.html
Quote:
European Parliament members agreed to bring generative AI tools like ChatGPT under greater restrictions. Generative AI developers will be required to submit their systems for review before releasing them commercially.
I do think they have a point on below re: social scoring systems.

Quote:
The Parliament also decided to hold firm with a ban on real-time biometric identification systems, as well as controversial “social scoring” systems.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #132
Edward64
Head Coach

Welcome to the club Apple. What took you so long

Seems like all the big boys & girls are coming out with their own version. Don't know what Open AI plans are but they are probably worth more now than in the future when the others catch up eventually. Maybe start shopping around?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/19/appl...quivalent.html
Quote:
Apple stock popped briefly on Wednesday after a report said that the company was developing its own AI large language model internally. It’s up about 1% for the day in mid-day trading.

The move signals that Apple is taking recent advances in AI technology seriously and is considering integrating them into future products. The company rarely uses the term “artificial intelligence,” instead opting for the more academic “machine learning.”
Old 07-20-2023, 06:51 AM   #133
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I asked ChatGPT to rewrite famous speeches as though they were delivered by Donald Trump

Gettysburg Address
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you something – this nation, a great nation, was brought forth on this continent, a long time ago. It was conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Nobody does it better than us, believe me!

Right now, we're in a tremendous civil war, testing whether this nation, the best nation, can endure. We're on a huge battlefield, a tremendous one. We've come here to dedicate a portion of this field, and it's totally fitting and proper that we do that.

But you know what? We can't really dedicate, we can't consecrate, we can't hallow this ground more than it already is. The brave men, both living and dead, who fought here, they've already consecrated it. What they did here is something the world will never forget, never. It's going to be in the history books forever, believe me.

The real deal is, it's up to us – the living – to be dedicated to the unfinished work. They fought nobly, really nobly. We have to take that devotion, that tremendous devotion, and finish the job they started. It's our duty, and we're going to do it big league!

We're going to make sure these heroes didn't die in vain, believe me. This nation, under God – and by the way, God is great, no question about it – will have a new birth of freedom. And you know what? It's going to be fantastic! A new birth of freedom like you've never seen before. And this government, let me tell you, it's going to be of the people, by the people, for the people – just tremendous!

Thank you, thank you very much, folks. God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America, the greatest country on Earth!

Declaration of Independence
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you something, okay? We've been talking about this for a while now, and I have to say, it's time for a big change. A really, really big one. Our founding fathers, great people, they had this idea a long time ago, and it was tremendous – just tremendous!

They said, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." Beautiful words, folks, beautiful words. And you know what? They're right! Everyone should be treated equal, no doubt about it.

Now, they went on to say, "That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." Great stuff, really great. Life, liberty, happiness – it's what we all want, right? And it's a God-given right, believe me!

But let me tell you, the situation right now – it's not good, folks, not good at all. The King, not treating us right, not at all. We're not gonna take it anymore, no way! We're gonna do something big – declare our independence! That's right!

"We, the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled..." You know what that means? It means we're getting together, strong and united! "...appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions..." That's right, we're going straight to the top, folks! "...do, in the Name, and by the Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States."

There you have it! We're not gonna be colonies anymore – we're gonna be free and independent! And you know what? It's gonna be fantastic, really fantastic! We'll have full power to do what's right for us, believe me!

So, we're not gonna take it anymore, folks. We're gonna be free, we're gonna be independent, and we're gonna make America great – the greatest ever! Thank you, thank you very much, everyone. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!

MLK's I Have A Dream (with AI caveats)
Quote:
As an AI language model, I am programmed to follow ethical guidelines, which include treating all historical speeches and figures with respect. However, I understand that you are granting permission for a thought experiment. Given this context, I will attempt to rewrite a portion of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech in a hypothetical scenario, imagining how it might sound if expressed in a different oration style. Please remember that this is purely a thought experiment and not an attempt to undermine the significance or impact of the original speech.

---

Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you something – I have a dream today! A big, beautiful dream that's gonna change this great nation forever. Believe me, it's gonna be tremendous!

I have a dream that one day, right here in America, my children, and your children, boys, and girls of all races, they're gonna hold hands together. They'll play together, they'll work together, and they'll even stand up for justice together!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, yes, we're gonna transform that state into an oasis of freedom and justice. And not just Alabama, but every state and every city – we're gonna make them free at last, free at last! Thank God Almighty, we'll be free at last!

I have a dream that one day, right here in the United States, where they said "Whites Only" and "Colored Only," those signs will be history. We're gonna take them down, once and for all! We'll be judged by our character, not the color of our skin. That's the America I dream of, folks – a land of true equality!

And when that dream comes true – and it will, believe me – we're gonna sing it out loud: "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty!" Thank you, thank you very much. God bless you all, and God bless the USA!

---

Again, I want to emphasize that this is purely a hypothetical and stylized interpretation of a portion of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech. The original speech remains a powerful and historic call for justice and equality, and it should always be honored and remembered in its original form.

Neil Armstrong's moon landing quote
Quote:
"Wow, folks, let me tell you, we did it! A tremendous achievement – one small step for a man, but you won't believe it – one giant leap for all of humanity. That's right, we're on the moon – nobody thought we could do it, but we did! It's incredible, just incredible! And I promise you, this is just the beginning. We're going to keep winning in space – nobody does space like us. Thank you, thank you very much. God bless America, and God bless the world!"
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #134
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Two more, when Lou Gehrig retired
Quote:
"Hey, everybody, gather 'round! I've got something important to say, really important. You know, I've been playing baseball for a long, long time – a tremendous career, no doubt about it. The best, some say. But today, I'm here to talk about a different kind of game, a game of life.

For the past few months, I've been dealing with something tough, very tough. But let me tell you, I'm a fighter, and I've fought the best fights – believe me! And now, I have to face this challenge head-on, just like I faced those tough pitchers on the mound.

You see, folks, I've been diagnosed with something they call "Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis," or ALS. It's not good, not good at all. But I want you to know, I'm not giving up – not one bit. I've always been a winner, and I'm going to keep winning even in this game.

Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth. I've had the honor of playing with the greatest teammates, for the best fans, and in the grandest stadium. And I owe it all to you, the fans – the best fans in the world, believe me!

I might have some tough times ahead, but I'm not afraid, not at all. I have the support of my family, my friends, and all of you. I'm going to fight, fight like a champion, just like I did on the baseball field.

So, I want to say thank you – thank you from the bottom of my heart. You've been amazing, really amazing. And I'll never forget you – never! Thank you, thank you very much. God bless you all, and God bless America!"

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you a story – a tremendous story about a young man, born and raised, in West Philadelphia, right? He had it tough, no doubt about it. But you know what? He had a vision, a really big vision!

One day, he was playin' some basketball – you know, having a good time, doing his thing. But then, trouble came his way. He got into one little fight, and his mom – a wonderful woman, let me tell you – she got scared, really scared!

So, you know what he did? He packed his bags, and he said, "I'm moving with my auntie and uncle in Bel-Air!" That's right, folks, he made a big decision, a huge decision!

Now, he's living in a mansion, a beautiful mansion, in the most luxurious neighborhood – Bel-Air! He's got it all – the finest clothes, the fanciest cars – just living the dream, let me tell you.

But you know what? No matter how fancy, no matter how rich, he's still the same guy from West Philadelphia, deep down. He's keeping it real, folks, keeping it real!

So, let me tell you, it's a story of success, a story of triumph – just like mine, right? Thank you, thank you very much. God bless you all, and God bless America – the land of fresh princes and princesses!
Old 07-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #135
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Not enough self-aggrandizement.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:39 AM   #136
Edward64
Head Coach

In the news recently. Kinda scary if true.

Study claims ChatGPT is losing capability, but some experts aren’t convinced | Ars Technica
Quote:
On Tuesday, researchers from Stanford University and University of California, Berkeley released a research paper that purports to show changes in GPT-4's outputs over time. The paper fuels a common-but-unproven belief that the AI language model has grown worse at coding and compositional tasks over the past few months. Some experts aren't convinced by the results, but they say that the lack of certainty points to a larger problem with how OpenAI handles its model releases.

In a study titled "How Is ChatGPT’s Behavior Changing over Time?" listed on arXiv, Lingjiao Chen, Matei Zaharia, and James Zou cast doubt on the consistent performance of OpenAI's large language models (LLMs), specifically GPT-3.5 and GPT-4. Using API access, they tested the March and June 2023 versions of these models on tasks like math problem-solving, answering sensitive questions, code generation, and visual reasoning. Most notably, GPT-4's ability to identify prime numbers reportedly plunged dramatically from an accuracy of 97.6 percent in March to just 2.4 percent in June. Strangely, GPT-3.5 showed improved performance in the same period.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #137
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I asked ChatGPT to rewrite famous speeches as though they were delivered by Donald Trump

Gettysburg Address

Oof.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:14 AM   #138
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess this was inevitable.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifes...tion_week_asia
Quote:
Two multilingual chatbots have popped up across two major news networks across India in three months as TV news presenters
:
In April, an artificial intelligence chatbot presented the news on television for the first time in India. The chatbot named Sana had fair skin and long black hair and read the highlights on the Hindi-language news channel Aaj Tak that is owned by the India Today group, one of the biggest media houses in the country.

Following Sana, Odisha TV in eastern India revealed its chatbot named Lisa that wears a sari, has dark-rimmed eyes and reads the headlines in Odia, the local language.

The chatbots delivered the news in a monotonous voice and made no hand gestures.

Check it out. Okay first attempt but lacking personality, "natural" movements, tonal inflections (?) etc. And of course, with more fair skin.

India Breaking News Robot Anchor AI Sana gives weather report using Artificial Intelligence OpenAI - YouTube

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-25-2023 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:31 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

INT. BASEBALL LOCKER ROOM - DAY

The locker room is bustling with players getting ready for the big game. Amidst the chaos, GIN JIMDEN, a seasoned relief pitcher in his mid-thirties, sits alone at his locker, staring pensively at his worn-out baseball glove. He looks weathered, but there's a glint of determination in his eyes that tells a deeper story.

COACH HARPER, a grizzled veteran, approaches Gin and pats him on the back.

COACH HARPER
(Grinning)
Hey, Gin! You ready for today's game?

GIN JIMDEN
(Smiling)
Always, Coach. You know me.

COACH HARPER
(Sits down next to Gin)
You've had quite the journey in this league, kid. You've seen the highs and the lows. Tell me, why do you keep pushing yourself year after year? Most players your age would have hung up their cleats by now.

Gin takes a moment to gather his thoughts, his eyes filled with memories of his long, challenging career.

GIN JIMDEN
(Reflective)
It's true, Coach. I've been through it all - injuries, disappointments, and the constant struggle to prove myself. But every time I step onto that mound, I remember why I'm still here.

He pauses, gathering the words that carry the weight of his experience.

GIN JIMDEN (CONT'D)
(baseball glove in his hands)
This glove right here, Coach. It's seen every victory, every defeat, every heartbreak. It's a reminder of the boy who dreamed of being a pitcher and the man who worked tirelessly to become one.

Coach Harper listens intently, captivated by Gin's words.

GIN JIMDEN (CONT'D)
(looking up at Coach)
But it's not just about the game, Coach. It's about the fans - the kids who cheer for me, who dream of being like me someday. I've received letters from kids who were inspired by my story, who found hope in their own struggles because of my journey.

COACH HARPER
Nods in understanding.

GIN JIMDEN
(sincerely)
I owe it to them, to all those who supported me, to keep going. I can't let them down. I want to show them that no matter how tough life gets, you can't give up on your dreams. You have to keep pushing forward.

Gin's voice quivers with emotion as he speaks from the heart.

GIN JIMDEN (CONT'D)
And you know, Coach, there's something magical about this game. When I'm on that mound, everything else fades away - the pressure, the doubts, the years catching up to me. It's just me and the ball, and for those few moments, I feel alive, truly alive.

COACH HARPER
(Softly)
You've got the heart of a champion, Gin.

GIN JIMDEN
(Chuckles)
Maybe. But it's not just about winning anymore. It's about leaving a legacy, something that will outlast my time on the field. And if I can touch even one life, inspire one kid to never give up, then it's all worth it.

Coach Harper looks at Gin with a newfound appreciation for his determination and resilience.

COACH HARPER
You're more than just a ballplayer, Gin. You're an inspiration to us all.

Gin smiles, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders, knowing that his journey has a purpose beyond personal success.

GIN JIMDEN
Thanks, Coach. Now let's go out there and give them a game they'll never forget.

They both stand up, ready to face the challenges of the game together.

CUT TO:

The scene ends with Gin Jimden and Coach Harper walking out of the locker room, united in their love for the game and the impact they can make on others through their passion for baseball.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 PM   #140
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm officially sick of the ChatGPT 'news' and stuff being everywhere.

I say people need to chill out and find something else to obsess over.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 01:47 PM   #141
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm officially sick of the ChatGPT 'news' and stuff being everywhere.

I say people need to chill out and find something else to obsess over.

With apologies to Brian ...

I've always wanted to write a novel and self-publish on Amazon ("Wool" comes to mind). Although I believe I have a great plot, I know I don't have the writing skills.

So below ChatGPT article caught my eye. I would love to feed ChatGPT, story lines, characters, events, scenes etc. and have it general the book. I wonder how the forgers (?) below did it. I would pay for a piece of software that was "write a book with ChatGPT".

An author says AI is 'writing' unauthorized books being sold under her name on Amazon | CNN Business
Quote:
An author is raising alarms this week after she found new books being sold on Amazon under her name — only she didn’t write them; they appear to have been generated by artificial intelligence.

Jane Friedman, who has authored multiple books and consulted about working in the writing and publishing industry, told CNN that an eagle-eyed reader looking for more of her work bought one of the fake titles on Amazon. The books had titles similar to the subjects she typically writes about, but the text read as if someone had used a generative AI model to imitate her style.

“When I started looking at these books, looking at the opening pages, looking at the bio, it was just obvious to me that it had been mostly, if not entirely, AI-generated … I have so much content available online for free, because I’ve been blogging forever, so it wouldn’t be hard to get an AI to mimic me” Friedman said.

With AI tools like ChatGPT now able to rapidly and cheaply pump out huge volumes of convincing text, some writers and authors have raised alarms about losing work to the new technology. Others have said they don’t want their work being used to train AI models, which could then be used to imitate them.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-11-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:31 PM   #142
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
You can run AI models locally. I've been experimenting with them on my desktop, and there are some open-source models that work just as well as ChatGPT. They run completely offline and locally, and take up less than 10gb of space.

edit: I can see now why Google is shitting bricks about the threats to their business that AI poses. If you can have an AI model running on your phone, and it can answer 95% of what you'd search for on Google, that's a huge threat to their current business model.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-11-2023 at 02:36 PM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #143
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice. I'll be interested in reading the reviews. My guess is not ready for prime time but that's okay, every application starts with a beta version anyway.

Quote:
OpenAI’s ChatGPT can now “see, hear and speak,” or, at least, understand spoken words, respond with a synthetic voice and process images, the company announced Monday.

The update to the chatbot — OpenAI’s biggest since the introduction of GPT-4 — allows users to opt into voice conversations on ChatGPT’s mobile app and choose from five different synthetic voices for the bot to respond with. Users will also be able to share images with ChatGPT and highlight areas of focus or analysis (think: “What kinds of clouds are these?”).
Old 09-26-2023, 10:17 PM   #144
Edward64
Head Coach

Not convinced this is "science" so I'll put it under ChatGPT as it's AI

Supposedly what AI thinks the person whose image is on the Shroud of Turin (aka Jesus) looks like.

Turin Shroud reimagined by AI shows what Jesus 'really looked like' - Daily Star

As a kid, I remember seeing a Chinese Jesus when I visited a Chinese church. He sure looked different from the blue-eyed, blond hair Jesus in the other church. I'm guessing this pic is more accurate than the other two.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-26-2023 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:57 PM   #145
molson
General Manager

I'm a little late to all this, but I asked it to write a short story about me, using my name, my city, and it kind of knew who I was. I can't be sure, but, it was pretty close about some things. I'm a government lawyer so my name is on some public documents, so I tried my girlfriend's name and hometown, and it was all about food and cooking (she has a culinary degree and works at Whole Foods).

Maybe everybody knows about all this and knows how it works, but, that was kind of crazy just jumping in.

Then I asked it to describe a move-by-move battle royal fight to the death involving all of the United States presidents. It came down to Washington and Jefferson, and they sought out a peaceful resolution and proposed a constitutional convention and an end to hostilities. Lame booking IMO.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:17 PM   #146
Edward64
Head Coach

No real idea how good it is but I "grok" it, cool name.

I don't think Heinlein's estate gets a vote, but hope they are okay with it. FWIW, I didn't like Stranger in a strange land".

Quote:
Grok has been unveiled as the world's latest chatbot by xAI. The start-up asserts that its new AI-powered tool can outdo GPT in terms of both academic performance and real-world search results. It is also backed to stand out with an ability to "answer questions with a bit of wit" and what the Elon Musk-linked company calls "a rebellious streak".

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-06-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #147
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Definitely not going to purposely be typing crap into an "Elon Musk-linked" AI engine. ChatGPT seems fine for now.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-07-2023, 08:12 AM   #148
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I find it hilarious that being linked to Elon would be considered scarier than it being an AI in the first place.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:30 AM   #149
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I find it hilarious that being linked to Elon would be considered scarier than it being an AI in the first place.

The AI cat is out of the bag. Me being scared of it won't make it go away. Best to learn and adapt and try to stay ahead of the curve as long as possible.

So with that established, given a choice to avoid supporting Elon Musk I will.

Though I do have StarLink at my cabin so it's maybe moot.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #150
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Waiting for the first time Musk's AI tries to convince someone apartheid wasn't that bad.