Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2022, 05:07 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And I'm absolutely aware of why I enjoyed watching the semi finals and finals so much: it was baseball the way I always liked it.

I haven't seen games like those in a long time, at any level. Had these been the 17-14 games college baseball can produce, I can't imagine I'd have been nearly as engaged as I ended up.

But the pitching -- from not just Ole Miss but from Arkansas and Oklahoma today -- THAT'S the game I used to love

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #52
Thomkal
Head Coach

A banner day for Coastal Carolina sports yesterday-first ever player to go in the first round of the MLB Draft (Eric Brown to MIL) and current track and field runner Melissa Jefferson coming off a surprise win at the US Nationals, made it the finals of the 100 meter relay in the World Championships where she finished 8th.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-18-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:46 PM   #53
Thomkal
Head Coach

Getting some strong "deja-vu" from the 2016 National title team this season from Coastal. Beating most teams they face ranked or not, lots of hitting, tearing up the Sun Belt right now, nationally ranked in most polls.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:11 PM   #54
miami_fan
Coordinator

Alabama fires baseball coach Brad Bohannon amid betting probe - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I guess we now know why the OH gaming commission suspended betting on AL baseball games a few days ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:58 AM   #56
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s a wild story that would probably already be in 30 for 30 production if it was football or basketball. I don’t know if there was (or can be proved) any intent from the coaches side, but the level of stupid to leave an electronic trail of communication and then immediately turn around and place large bets (apparently in multiple states?) is pretty impressive.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gonna put this one here since college baseball is mentioned. I don't think athletes all of a sudden decided that they all were going to start gambling. I wonder what is making the authorities start looking for the gambling that was going on.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ncaa-violation
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-08-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:19 PM   #58
molson
General Manager

One of the benefits of the new modern legal apps is that there's real-time analysis of betting patterns by the platforms, the leagues they do business with, and law enforcement, and the platforms are quick to blow the whistle on athletes use their services. I don't think any of that was the case in the same way when people were betting on the offshore sites.

Last edited by molson : 05-08-2023 at 09:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:08 PM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One of the benefits of the new modern legal apps is that there's real-time analysis of betting patterns by the platforms, the leagues they do business with, and law enforcement, and the platforms are quick to blow the whistle on athletes use their services. I don't think any of that was the case in the same way when people were betting on the offshore sites.

Interesting. I am not familiar with those apps but it make sense.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:38 AM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

NJ: ACCC college baseball coach resigns, earpieces found in helmets

If ya ain't cheating, ya ain't trying.

I don't see that was supposed to work. They are playing in an sparsely populated stadium. Of course, one of the fielders was going to hear the speaker in the helmet especially if the runner is being held on by the first baseman.

The incident starts at 49:42

RCSJ GLOUCESTER vs ACCC BASEBALL - SAT APR 22 - GM 1 - YouTube
Old 05-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #61
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Getting some strong "deja-vu" from the 2016 National title team this season from Coastal. Beating most teams they face ranked or not, lots of hitting, tearing up the Sun Belt right now, nationally ranked in most polls.

Coastal claims the Sun Belt title, have won 16 straight Sun Belt series, Likely to host a regional, woot!

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-20-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ah yes, the ACC baseball tournament. That time of year when the worst postseason format in all of sports gets dusted off.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:34 AM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Longhorns closed the regular season strong with a sweep of Top 10 West Virginia, and finished with a share of a 3 way tie for the conference title. They won the tiebreakers over WVa and Okie State and will be the #1 seed for the conference tournament next week.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #64
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Doesnt quite fit here, but that LSU/Rajin Cajun 2-game softball series yesterday was insanely entertaining and fun.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #65
Ksyrup

I spent all weekend with Covid in a hotel room watching softball. Always fun to watch LSU lose (not a fan of the coach, nor the brother of a former player who still shows up to mug for the camera behind home plate).

The McNeese/Washington game last night was an absolute heartbreaker. McNeese was the heavy underdog and pulled off a 1-0 win in game 1, forcing the If game and had a 6-0 lead going to the 7th ... and lost. I can't even imagine what anyone attached to that program is feeling today.

The other amazing thing that occurred this weekend was UCLA, the #2 seed with only 4 losses all year and an NCAA high 52 wins, going "2 and 'Q" in their own regional, losing to Grand Canyon and Liberty. I watched a couple of their games in the Pac12 tourney and they clearly were not playing well, but that's an embarrassing exit at home. As a result, San Diego State is in, playing at #15 Utah to go to WCWS.

All of this is academic because Oklahoma is going to destroy everyone. One loss all year. They've made the competitive college softball championship part of the game no fun anymore. They were already a machine, and then the transfer portal became a thing, and it's pretty much unfair the roster they are able to put together every year. Someone could beat them in the WCWS this year (it happened a couple of years ago), but there's no way anyone is beating them 2 in a row (they came out of the losers bracket to face FSU in the championship, FSU got game 1, then OU steamrolled for 2 wins and the championship). I don't even see the chance that scenario happens this year though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-22-2023, 10:00 AM   #66
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Doesnt quite fit here, but that LSU/Rajin Cajun 2-game softball series yesterday was insanely entertaining and fun.

Yeah, women's softball is more enjoyable than college baseball.

Also insane was FSU throwing a 7 inning perfect game on 59 pitches with only 4 strikeouts. 17/21 batters put it in play and no one got on base.

Also insane was how Washington was down 0-6 in the top of the 7th and scored 7 runs to win it. Terrible pitcher management by the Mcneese State coach.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:11 AM   #67
Ksyrup

McNeese's #1 had already thrown a 100 pitch complete game in Game 1. She was brought in with the game tied and gave up the GW hit. I'm not sure they trusted any other pitcher and thought it best to roll with the girl who had pitched so well up to that point.

A similar thing happened to Kentucky back in 2014 at the WCWS. They had 1 workhorse pitcher who threw every pitch for the team for the past month. They had a 7-0 lead against Baylor and then the wheels fell off. Baylor scored 8 runs in the final couple of innings (aided by a couple of errors) and they left her in even though she was completely gassed, and lost 8-7. They simply didn't have anyone else they trusted and felt like she was the best option, even if she wasn't at her best.

Softball has evolved some over the past decade to rely more on staffs, but that's really, at most, 3-4 pitchers (and usually 1 or 2 aces who pitch the bulk of the innings). It's not like baseball. If a team has 5-6 pitchers, it usually means they have none.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-22-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #68
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Also insane was how LSU was trying to intentionally walk a batter with a 1 run lead and runners on 2nd and 3rd. The pitcher somehow couldn't do the intentional walk. The first pitch was a strike that got by the catcher and a runner scored to tie. She then got to a 2-2 count while still trying to intentionally walk the batter. She then threw another one down the middle and the batter hit it for a double.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #69
Ksyrup

That happens way more than you will believe. Pitchers don't really practice intentional balls and it's like a mental block forcing them to purposely throw to a target that far away from the plate but using normal pitching mechanics.

We lost a HS district championship game years ago partially because our stud pitcher couldn't throw an intentional ball and just like yesterday, girl lined a strike down the middle to the gap that scored what ended up being the winning runs.

Also, I remember a game when Caitlin was 12 and a team tried to do something similar against us. Winning run was on 3rd and they wanted to intentionally walk the batter to create a force at any base but the girl didn't know how to throw a pitch for an intentional ball so they told her to roll it in - and it hit some pebbles, popped over the catcher's glove to the backstop, and we scored the winning run.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #70
Ksyrup

Old 05-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Woof!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:01 PM   #72
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That happens way more than you will believe. Pitchers don't really practice intentional balls and it's like a mental block forcing them to purposely throw to a target that far away from the plate but using normal pitching mechanics.

Yeah, my wife used to pitch and said it's crazy hard compared to baseball. I was like, can't you just slow pitch it up there and she said it's just not something you do.

But back to McNeese, even if you only have 2 pitchers, up 6-0 you cant let a pitcher get slow burned like he let her. I could understand if Washington was just hitting homer after homer, but the girl was either throwing balls or meatballs to 8 batters.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:06 PM   #73
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Longhorns blew their chance at hosting one of the 16 regionals. They lost their first two games of the Big 12 tourney.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:16 PM   #74
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Longhorns blew their chance at hosting one of the 16 regionals. They lost their first two games of the Big 12 tourney.

WVU, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:35 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Miami advances to the semifinals but, man oh man, watching the ACCN coverage is just brutal.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #76
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Looking for something to watch and came across the SoCon tournament at 8 AM.

First off it's currently 50 degrees and very windy here in Greenville. Everyone looks miserable to be there first thing in the morning.

Second, it's supposed to get colder and then rain from about noon today til noon tomorrow.

Third, there's no longer a Greenville school in the SoCon for baseball. Furman dropped their team a few years ago. Just weird that they're still having it here.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:37 AM   #77
Ksyrup

Yeah they moved the Stanford/Duke softball super regional game 2 to 9am this morning. Stanford is 6 outs from advancing and I'm sure they are hoping not to have to try to squeeze a game 3 in over the next couple of days.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-27-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #78
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah they moved the Stanford/Duke softball super regional game 2 to 9am this morning. Stanford is 6 outs from advancing and I'm sure they are hoping not to have to try to squeeze a game 3 in over the next couple of days.

Just glad the Sun Belt tourney is in Alabama and not here in Myrtle, would have been no baseball until maybe tomorrow afternoon. Coastal is in the semis there
Old 05-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #79
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Just glad the Sun Belt tourney is in Alabama and not here in Myrtle, would have been no baseball until maybe tomorrow afternoon. Coastal is in the semis there

And they lost the first game of the double elimination round to Louisiana, and will play them again later tonight to stay alive
Old 05-27-2023, 10:03 PM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
And they lost the first game of the double elimination round to Louisiana, and will play them again later tonight to stay alive

And now they have lost both
Old 05-27-2023, 10:24 PM   #81
Ksyrup

Well, OU almost got upset by Clemson in game 2 of the super regional - down 7-4 in the 7th, twice down to their final strike, they get a 3 run HR to tie it and then win in the 9th.

That's a D1 record 48 straight wins. Just since 2019, OU has reeled off win streaks of 40, 40, 41 and now 48. It's not even fair at this point. It's like Connecticut women's basketball or the old UCLA men's basketball. Except in softball/baseball, you really can't expect to win every game. And yet they do.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-27-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:39 PM   #82
Thomkal
Head Coach

18-41 Tulane gets hot at the right time and beats top seeded East Carolina to win the conference tournament and move to the regionals. Crazy
Old 06-02-2023, 08:24 PM   #83
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal had a no-hitter thru 6 and a five run lead, but can't get anybody out yet so far in the 7th and have blown the lead
Old 06-02-2023, 10:18 PM   #84
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Coastal had a no-hitter thru 6 and a five run lead, but can't get anybody out yet so far in the 7th and have blown the lead

And yet they somehow got it to extra innings where they then lost 11-10
Old 06-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Womens world series started last night. Huskies-Utah game was PPD because they can't start after 11:00. Was played today. Here is the bitch. Losers bracket also played today, so whomever lost the game would have to play a second game today, an elimination game. Luckily Huskies won. Utah down 8-0 in elimination game. Kind of a raw deal.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:21 AM   #86
Ksyrup

Utah was the one team who could least afford to play 2 games in one day. They were already the weakest team in the WCWS and they got the fate they were probably going to get anyway. They just didn't have the pitching to survive.

3pm will be one of the most anticipated games of the season - OU vs TN. Tonight it's FSU vs UW. Today's winners have to be beaten twice not to make the finals, and then it's 2 out of 3 which - assuming OU makes it - will be almost impossible for OU to lose.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-03-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

Chants start out with a grand slam in the 1st, let's see if they can keep this lead against Wilmington
Old 06-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #88
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Chants start out with a grand slam in the 1st, let's see if they can keep this lead against Wilmington

Coastal gets a much needed complete game in the elimination game and wins 12-2. Pitcher gave up no walks, and a HR.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-03-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:35 PM   #89
Ksyrup

In a sign of how dominant OU is, Tennessee decided to start its 3rd best pitcher - a freshman - and once she gave up 3 runs, they pulled her and brought in a pitcher who had thrown 16 total innings on the year, and now they're using a freshman who barely pitched at all. This game will be a run rule by the 5th.

So in essence, Tennessee thought their best chance to get to the championship series was giving up this game against OU, and because the loser crosses over to the other bracket, they'll have to win 2 games against the winner of UW/FSU. If they can do that, they get OU in the champ series with OU never having seen their 2 best pitchers.

The announcers are pissing me off because they aren't considering the strategy at all.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-03-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:49 PM   #90
Thomkal
Head Coach

I understand the strategy involved, but a flop in baseball/softball just seems "off" not sportsman/women like. It will be interesting to see if it works though.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:10 PM   #91
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sun Belt looking good so far today with Coastal's win, Louisiana scoring 19 runs in staving off elimination, and in the 7th inning Southern Miss ahead of #1 seed Auburn by 4 runs.

Also looking like #1 seed Oklahoma State is going to be eliminated as they are behind 11-1

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-03-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:22 PM   #92
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had an amazing day. My daughters softball team is in the best of 3 championship against an undefeated team. We lost game 1 Thursday night. We won 7-2 today, played an amazing game. My daughter batted third and went 2-2 with a walk, RBI, SB, and 2 runs scored. The coach of the other team is a gigantic asshole so it was even sweeter. Final game is Monday.

After we had an end of season pool party at my house. All the girls swam and I grilled, one of the families owns a brewery so there was beer. Most of these kids have been friends since kindergarten, and they are accepting of the ones who haven't been, so it is great to see them grow together everyone had a blast. We have a gazebo with an outdoor TV and at one point they were all in there watching OU-UT game and were so in to it.

Now my daughters best friend on the team is sleeping over tonight.

This is what it is all about gents.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-03-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #93
Ksyrup

What age?
Old 06-03-2023, 08:15 PM   #94
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
What age?

9-10
Old 06-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #95
miami_fan
Coordinator

Do we have a college softball thread? Either way that was a great play by the FSU shortstop to end the game.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:00 PM   #96
Ksyrup

I've been posting about SB in this thread. Yeah, FSU seems to come up with that kind of stuff routinely. When they got knocked out in regionals at home last year, it was a shock.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #97
Thomkal
Head Coach

Stop me if you've heard this before-Coastal out to a big lead early 8-0 over Rider, who almost beat Duke last night. If they can get another near complete game now it would be a big boost in the final against Duke.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #98
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal had another strong performance from its starter, going into the 7th inning with a no-hitter before tiring and the bullpen showing again the opposite, but Coastal wins 13-5 and advances to face Duke at 6pm.

Clemson also had a no-hitter against Charlotte for a while, but now Charlotte has gone ahead late and has eliminated Clemson
Old 06-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #99
Thomkal
Head Coach

Iowa/North Carolina in what you don't want today game-extra innings in the 12th right now
Old 06-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #100
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal jumped out early big again, but Duke came right back and took the lead. Coastal tied it then took the lead late, and held on for dear life to win 8-6. Deciding game tomorrow.