"Both sides"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:34 PM   #3203
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm going to frighten elementary school children because someone isn't going to let me have guns near school children starting October 1st.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:46 PM   #3204
RainMaker
General Manager

We'll listen to the terrified kids who don't want to be sliced in half with an AR-15 followed by the weird guy stalking kids with a rifle. Tune in at 5 and 6pm.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 01:09 AM   #3205
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

come on guys, i'm disappointed. When I see this thread updated I don't want general chatter. I want the new hi score listed for the AR15 club
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:03 AM   #3206
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
come on guys, i'm disappointed. When I see this thread updated I don't want general chatter. I want the new hi score listed for the AR15 club

Give it time
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:53 AM   #3207
Kodos
Resident Alien

The guys who first suggested that owning guns was a right really fucked us over.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #3208
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Those guys clearly said it in the context of having maintained and regulated militias should a) the British invade again or b) the federal government prove too domineering over state governments (thus the "militia" would have been in a state government context).

The 2nd amendment is completely irrelevant in the 21st century, and also was in the 20th.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #3209
Edward64
Head Coach

You'd think the cops could do something about it like "public nuisance" or "loitering".

Same thing applies if there was a guy hanging around a school drop off, for multiple days without a weapon.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #3210
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The guys who first suggested that owning guns was a right really fucked us over.
I think we can generally agree the first organism that pulled it self out of the ocean started this whole mess.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #3211
RainMaker
General Manager

CNN has a 1 year special on Uvalde on right now. They've gotten some footage that authorities are still keeping from the public as part of their cover-up. Showed the girl who covered herself in her friends blood to act dead. It's really brutal.

Authorities have still not done the honorable thing a year later.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:01 PM   #3212
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think we can generally agree the first organism that pulled it self out of the ocean started this whole mess.

sure....it's always the Ichthyostega's fault!
Old 05-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #3213
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-23-2023, 07:47 AM   #3214
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah ... no.

I can maybe see considering a release hearing in 2043 after 20+ years of exemplary conduct, but not now.

https://apnews.com/article/townville...fb9be6caed4bd9
Quote:
A school shooter serving a life sentence without parole for killing a first grader on a South Carolina playground when he was 14 is asking a judge to lessen his sentence so he can eventually get out of prison.

Jesse Osborne’s lawyer asked Judge Lawton McIntosh on Monday to reconsider his sentence so Osborne, now 21, could have some hope of freedom in his 50s or 60s.

Attorney Frank Eppes said the judge didn’t fully consider a psychologist’s report that Osborne’s lashed out because of abuse and can be rehabilitated.

“Give Jesse some hope to live with,” Eppes said at a televised court hearing.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:54 AM   #3215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I prefer he ride the lightening.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:13 AM   #3216
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yeah ... no.

I can maybe see considering a release hearing in 2043 after 20+ years of exemplary conduct, but not now.

https://apnews.com/article/townville...fb9be6caed4bd9
Ummmmm...that is exactly what was being asked here. They wanted to change the sentence so he would at least have a possibility of parole when he was 50-60 years old. He is 21 now, so that would be like 2053 or so.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #3217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Ummmmm...that is exactly what was being asked here. They wanted to change the sentence so he would at least have a possibility of parole when he was 50-60 years old. He is 21 now, so that would be like 2053 or so.

I think what Edward was saying is now isn't the time to consider it but maybe 20 years down the road they can start thinking about it.

Like I said. 20 years from now I would prefer he be in the ground.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:24 AM   #3218
Edward64
Head Coach

They are asking for

Quote:
Jesse Osborne’s lawyer asked Judge Lawton McIntosh on Monday to reconsider his sentence (now) so Osborne , now 21, could have some hope of freedom in his 50s or 60s.

I'm saying don't even consider it at all. Wait till 2043, see if he's been model inmate, and then possibly hold the hearing to consider it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-23-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:31 AM   #3219
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think what Edward was saying is now isn't the time to consider it but maybe 20 years down the road they can start thinking about it.

Like I said. 20 years from now I would prefer he be in the ground.

Yeah, what the man said.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:30 AM   #3220
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I prefer he ride the lightening.

Same, I never get this angle to give him hope that he can be free some day. That child he killed had hope of a future too, take his for what he took.

One thing I am definitely 100% on board with is not giving murderers room and board for 30, 40, 50 years. Capitol punishment should be nationwide and carried out within 5 years of the sentence IMO.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #3221
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not saying he should have done it, but I understand.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/video...ndgun-atm-user

It is rare for me to go to a brick and mortar bank nowadays for any reason. However since I became an adult, I don't think I have ever used the ATM machine for anything else than to check my balance or withdraw money. I definitely not done so at the drive thru ATM. To me, the ATM is like the 10 item or less line at the grocery store. Make a quick transaction and get going. If you have to fill out your deposit slip, drive around and let others use the machine while you are doing so.

Oh yeah, add this to the list of things you could get a semi-automatic handgun. Plus don't lump the bald men community and the men with tattoos in with this guy. Find some other descriptor for him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #3222
GrantDawg

We shouldn't excute anybody, much less children. I know lots of people wish were more like Iran, the only country in the world that will sentence people under 18 to death, but maybe we should be a little more enlightened than that?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2023, 01:52 PM   #3223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was watching an SVU the other day and they had some elaborate speech about the guy getting a needle in the arm. Except at that point it was something like 37 years since the last execution in NY and in 2004ish it was outlawed altogether.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #3224
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not saying he should have done it, but I understand.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/video...ndgun-atm-user

It is rare for me to go to a brick and mortar bank nowadays for any reason. However since I became an adult, I don't think I have ever used the ATM machine for anything else than to check my balance or withdraw money. I definitely not done so at the drive thru ATM. To me, the ATM is like the 10 item or less line at the grocery store. Make a quick transaction and get going. If you have to fill out your deposit slip, drive around and let others use the machine while you are doing so.

Oh yeah, add this to the list of things you could get a semi-automatic handgun. Plus don't lump the bald men community and the men with tattoos in with this guy. Find some other descriptor for him.

Looks like David Harbour in Stranger Things 4
Old 05-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #3225
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
We shouldn't excute anybody, much less children. I know lots of people wish were more like Iran, the only country in the world that will sentence people under 18 to death, but maybe we should be a little more enlightened than that?

We should also be more enlightened than letting violent criminals out of prison early, or reducing the bond of violent criminals so they can exact revenge on people that got them arrested, or hurt other innocents.

I would think protecting children, women and others that can't always protect themselves would take precedent over sparing the life of violent sociopaths.

And in reference to executing children, which is what that shooter did, I realize kids under 18 will not be sentenced to death, which I actually agree with, despite my comment, they also shouldn't be given a chance at early release so they have 'hope' either after destroying an innocent family.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:57 PM   #3226
GrantDawg

Seven people were shot on Hollywood Beach in Florida. DeSantis blaming it on woke in 3, 2, 1....

Old 05-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #3227
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Normal country.

Have been in the room with local authorities trying to sort out what they can and cannot do about this. It is not a simple situation.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:46 PM   #3228
cuervo72
Head Coach

There was some guy in TN doing much the same but in a red ninja costume. If laws say you can do that, no, there's not going to be a simple way of stopping it, I reckon.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:03 AM   #3229
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Have been in the room with local authorities trying to sort out what they can and cannot do about this. It is not a simple situation.

It would be if he were black.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #3230
cuervo72
Head Coach

This particular guy is black.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #3231
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

That's called a threat with a deadly weapon.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:15 PM   #3232
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/212835pen.pdf

En banc Third Circuit strikes down a felon-in-possession prosecution. The opinion claims to be narrow, but some folks I know who know a lot more about the in and outs of this than I do think that it is actually pretty broad in its reasoning.

Strong probability that this gets to the Supreme Court.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:48 PM   #3233
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://apnews.com/article/vcu-shoot...31354a4e4157ab

Graduation shooting
Old 06-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #3234
RainMaker
General Manager

Another lead infested boomer losing his mind.

Florida man faces charges after confronting driver with gun for backing up into driveway - WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale
Old 06-07-2023, 05:27 AM   #3235
miami_fan
Coordinator

The driver has to come back and kill that guy at some point right? Or at the very least the male members of her family do something to that guy to let him know that is not acceptable right? I mean we are supposed to returning to the good ol' days when men were men. Point a gun a woman's head in the middle of the road? In the good ol' days, the guy is in the jail house for his protection.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:57 AM   #3236
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The driver has to come back and kill that guy at some point right? Or at the very least the male members of her family do something to that guy to let him know that is not acceptable right? I mean we are supposed to returning to the good ol' days when men were men. Point a gun a woman's head in the middle of the road? In the good ol' days, the guy is in the jail house for his protection.

I know this is tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, what is emboldening these people is that the entirety of society does not live under the same worldview as they do, and they know it. Back in the 1850s, yes, that's exactly what would happen. But I don't own a gun and am not interested in violence. I think the calculus is that most of "those people" they are confronting aren't going to level up, so they are free to be the bully.

It seems to me that there are two options: (1) get LE involved, and (2) publicly out the fuckers so they are shamed and perhaps lose their jobs. I know people cringe about how we've overdone #2 in this country thanks to social media, but it's really a substitute for lack of LE doing their jobs (either to protect the fuckers or due to weak laws/unwilling prosecutors) and a proxy for the old west way we used to go about getting revenge. Everyone can talk about someone having a bad moment that shouldn't ruin their lives, but 150 years ago, that "bad moment" got you killed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:04 AM   #3237
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's not like LE tracks down and deals with 100% of law breakers. It only sets the table for the select enforcement that we have today. And I don't mean, sample enforcement, like where you have sobriety checkpoints to catch people instead of catching every single one either. It's one guy decides that "A" is a crime and puts the effort in to enforce it and another one decides it isn't. Or like how they determine just how much loss is necessary in order to follow up on an actual crime. All of that sets the table for unreliable, and not very useful LE. Which only makes option 2 one of the only real options to hold people accountable.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #3238
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I remember someone saying once that TV gives us a very skewed view of LE investigations. Solving a mystery makes for good TV, so we watch the detectives over 40 minutes interviewing witnesses and checking bank records and going over the crime scene with tweezers, etc. and then the detective makes some awesome leap of logic and figures out who did it.

In reality, in the vast majority of murders/attempted murders/violent assaults you either have eyewitnesses who can tell LE who did it or it's the angry boyfriend/husband. That's what LE does--they see if anyone saw the crime, and if not, they check on the boyfriend. And that works most of the time.

But if it is neither of those two circumstances, then the case tends to go cold.

All of which is to say that LE is necessary and important, but people expect it to be able to do more than it is really designed to do.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #3239
HerRealName
College Prospect

The current system isn't a bug, it's just another example of the bias built into the justice system. There's discretion built into every step of the process for a reason.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #3240
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I remember someone saying once that TV gives us a very skewed view of LE investigations. Solving a mystery makes for good TV, so we watch the detectives over 40 minutes interviewing witnesses and checking bank records and going over the crime scene with tweezers, etc. and then the detective makes some awesome leap of logic and figures out who did it.

In reality, in the vast majority of murders/attempted murders/violent assaults you either have eyewitnesses who can tell LE who did it or it's the angry boyfriend/husband. That's what LE does--they see if anyone saw the crime, and if not, they check on the boyfriend. And that works most of the time.

But if it is neither of those two circumstances, then the case tends to go cold.

All of which is to say that LE is necessary and important, but people expect it to be able to do more than it is really designed to do.

It's amazing watching some of these cold case shows. Team swoops in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years after the fact. Reopen the case, and have the same very small list of suspects. And yeah, 95% of the time it is a relative, boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, or "random intruder." Ok, one time it was "girl was drunk, got her car stuck in the mud, fire started inside the car and she couldn't get out." But that was a weird outlier. Almost inevitably they rule out the random intruder, and they're back to the most obvious suspect.

BUT -- the crime scene wasn't adequately investigated. Or someone disturbed or even cleaned up the crime scene. Or evidence went missing or was destroyed. The cops waited for ages to talk to anyone. The cops were really only qualified to make traffic stops or were otherwise inept. The cops didn't want to be bothered.

Or, they can't find enough evidence (no body, no DNA, no weapon) and nobody will talk. It seems like half the time they only make progress because someone broke down and finally talked.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #3241
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Vetsch faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill. At his first appearance in court the next day, he was ordered to have no contact with the victim and was granted a $50,000 bond.

It's weird to me that you can point a gun directly at someone within 2 inches of their head and get a charge that specially states without intent to kill. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #3242
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's weird to me that you can point a gun directly at someone within 2 inches of their head and get a charge that specially states without intent to kill. Maybe that's just me though.

For an intent element you have to prove that the event would have occurred if not for some intervening circumstance, or failure on the defendant's part. Like they shoot and miss, or shoot the person in the chest but they don't die.

Pointing a gun at someone is classic aggravated assault.

Edit: Pointing a gun at someone over something so innocuous is a pretty big aggravating factor though. It shows that someone is very dangerous and that it probably wouldn't take much more for them to take the next step and intend to kill.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2023 at 10:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #3243
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
For an intent element you have to prove that the event would have occurred if not for some intervening circumstance, or failure on the defendant's part. Like they shoot and miss, or shoot the person in the chest but they don't die.

Pointing a gun at someone is classic aggravated assault.

Edit: Pointing a gun at someone over something so innocuous is a pretty big aggravating factor though. It shows that someone is very dangerous and that it probably wouldn't take much more for them to take the next step and intend to kill.

I get it from a legal standpoint. I just think that you don't pull a gun and point it at someone's head unless there's some intent to kill and our laws should reflect that.

It's just one of the many weird things with our society, guns, and laws.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:54 AM   #3244
Atocep
Coordinator

I can only imagine how often this is happening and not being reported or making the news.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #3245
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I get it from a legal standpoint. I just think that you don't pull a gun and point it at someone's head unless there's some intent to kill and our laws should reflect that.

It's just one of the many weird things with our society, guns, and laws.

It's ultimately just the name of a charge given in a statute. In a lot of states, an aggravated assault charge, maybe with a firearm sentencing enhancement, can have a similar sentencing range as attempted murder. And you know the judge will sentence similarly because they're sentencing based on the conduct and the criminal history, etc., not what the name of the charge is. And aggravated assault is a lot easier to prove.

Judges almost always have the authority and law to sentence aggravated assaulters to decades, and, if we want that, the way to get it is.....the dreaded statutory mandatory minimum sentences.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #3246
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This should be an interesting trial.

Parkland shooting: Opening statements begin in trial of Scot Peterson, school resource officer who stayed outside during massacre | CNN
Old 06-07-2023, 11:16 AM   #3247
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I can only imagine how often this is happening and not being reported or making the news.

Definitely. There's a lot of people who will never report anything, which probably contributes to normalizing that kind of conduct, and also lesser sentences for people when they finally are caught. The "no criminal record" people that most definitely are comfortable pointing guns at people and have probably done it before. So at sentencing he gets to be the "nice guy who had a bad day" and has probably has CTE from high school football and he volunteers at the soup kitchen, and he's in therapy and has quit drinking.

And the making the news thing is always fascinating to me. There are choices made about what the news reports and how they do it. Some murders become Dateline episodes, and some (even cases with crazy facts) get no or almost news coverage at all. And I don't know how much of that is the choice of news reporters, or if there's mechanisms that push certain cases to a higher status on social media.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #3248
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And the making the news thing is always fascinating to me. There are choices made about what the news reports and how they do it. Some murders become Dateline episodes, and some (even cases with crazy facts) get no or almost news coverage at all. And I don't know how much of that is the choice of news reporters, or if there's mechanisms that push certain cases to a higher status on social media.

Remember a while back when all the missing white girl stories made national news? I remember seeing people posting missing girls on social media and saying "please help us make this go national!"

Which is crazy that the decision of what to publish and not publish (which really might be the difference between the kid being found or not) is so arbitrary.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #3249
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Remember a while back when all the missing white girl stories made national news? I remember seeing people posting missing girls on social media and saying "please help us make this go national!"

Which is crazy that the decision of what to publish and not publish (which really might be the difference between the kid being found or not) is so arbitrary.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #3250
molson
General Manager

I think a big part of it is whatever will make people most angry, and which will divide the most people, which will make them more engaged.

So, cases with victims who share traits with the majority audience, any kind of racial component, anything with an arguable self-defense component, or anything where the investigation did not go smoothly in some way or was perceived not to go smoothly, and of course, anything with someone famous or who worked in law enforcement or politics as the defendant. So these cases disproportionally inform the public's view of the criminal justice system.