Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #201
Atocep
Coordinator

I've been using the fold for several months and I love it. It is the perfect phone for me, but I see how it's not for everyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #202
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've been using the fold for several months and I love it. It is the perfect phone for me, but I see how it's not for everyone.

I'm not sure I could get over the crease. Has it bugged you?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #203
Edward64
Head Coach

I sound weird listening to myself speak on VM greetings but I can see this doing well. Can't think of any practical applications but there's probably some.

Quote:
Amid a new wave of artificial intelligence, Apple iPhones will soon be able to speak in their users’ voices, the tech company announced on Tuesday.

The new iPhone feature, Personal Voice, will give users randomized text prompts to generate 15 minutes of audio. Another feature, Live Speech, will allow users to save commonly used phrases for the device to speak during phone calls and in-person conversations.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #204
Edward64
Head Coach

Apple is winning the war!

Google has bigger problems than iMessage making Android users switch to iPhone
Quote:
More people switch from Android to iPhone than the other way around, and that’s how it has always been. Apple’s iMessage has been seen as a key product that can convince consumers to move from an Android handset to an iPhone. And Google’s relentless, fruitless, and slightly cringey campaign to shame Apple into supporting RCS in the iPhone’s Messages app supports that idea.

But new research shows that Google still has bigger problems to fix. iMessage is the least of Google’s problems, as Android switchers have more important reasons for switching to iPhone.

I would not have thought cheaper pricing was a reason. The article goes into it ...

Quote:
Concerns over pricing were surprising because iPhones are expensive. But Apple does sell older handsets that are cheaper and yet still outperform the newest Android devices. Add the promo deals that Apple offers and the carrier deals that often deliver free iPhone upgrades, and the cost will make sense.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:26 PM   #205
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm typically not a first adopter and still worried about the "crease". But heck, if this reduces form factor and weight, I'm all for it. (But will prob wait on the Apple version)

Motorola Razr+ (2023) hands-on preview | CNN Underscored

Quote:
At first glance, the Razr+ looks a lot like Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip 4. It’s a foldable phone that flips open to reveal a large display on the inside. But the key differentiator between the Razr+ and the Flip 4 is immediately noticeable once you wake the front screen of the phone.

Almost the entire front of the Razr’s housing (when folded) is covered in a display.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-01-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'll never use an Apple product and there will always be competitors, so it doesn't really matter to me if Apple is winning or not. And I guess I don't use phones like most people, because I have no idea what's wrong with texting on an Android.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #207
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I have to use an iPhone for work and absolutely hate it. I really don't get why people like them at all.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #208
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And I guess I don't use phones like most people, because I have no idea what's wrong with texting on an Android.

Group texting used to be a shitshow on Android, but I think it got better like 3-4 years ago.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:05 PM   #209
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm not sure I could get over the crease. Has it bugged you?

For me, it's only really noticeable when direct sunlight hits it. If video is playing you can't really see it at all.

My wife was pretty skeptical that I'd actually use it as a tablet and she thought the crease would be a big deal. She's admitted she was wrong on both. I use it in tablet mode probably 50% of the time, if not more, and her opinion is the crease isn't anywhere near as bad as she thought it would be when she saw in the store.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #210
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Group texting used to be a shitshow on Android, but I think it got better like 3-4 years ago.

I've used Textra for years, so I don't know (or remember) what the standard Android texting app is like. And actually, I've never experienced the whole "left on read" thing and I'm totally OK with that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-01-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
For me, it's only really noticeable when direct sunlight hits it. If video is playing you can't really see it at all.

My wife was pretty skeptical that I'd actually use it as a tablet and she thought the crease would be a big deal. She's admitted she was wrong on both. I use it in tablet mode probably 50% of the time, if not more, and her opinion is the crease isn't anywhere near as bad as she thought it would be when she saw in the store.

Thanks for your feedback.

re: group texting. Son moved to Android so we now use WhatsApp for our cross platform messaging. The article said iMessage was a big draw but I really don't see why. Maybe there's some special functionality with iMessage, but for basic chats, group chats & video calls ... there are more than enough options.

I went from Blackberry to iPhone and am comfortable in the ecosystem. And real or not, the perception is Android store is a shitshow and Apple is doing a better job at apps, security & support. T-Mobile also has pretty good upgrade deals during BF. I have a 12 Pro Max and fair chance I'll upgrade this year if the BF deals are good. Otherwise, I'll just buy a new battery and wait for next year.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #212
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And actually, I've never experienced the whole "left on read" thing and I'm totally OK with that.

Same. I think you have to explicitly enable send/read receipt, and that seems like an obvious stressor to avoid.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:18 PM   #213
Edward64
Head Coach

Love that Amazon is trying to get into the game. More competition the better. T-Mobile and their simplified & lower priced, no surprises plans was what motivated us to switch from AT&T years ago. Maybe Amazon will be the next player to really lower prices even more.

FWIW, I still don't get how Amazon makes money on Prime. Quick shipping, streaming etc. for $140 a year is a great deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/02/amaz...ce-report.html
Quote:
Amazon is in talks with several wireless carriers about launching a mobile service for Prime members, according to a report from Bloomberg.

The news sent shares of telecom stocks lower Friday. Verizon fell more than 4% in early trading, while T-Mobile slid over 8%. AT&T’s stock was down more than 4%. Dish shares surged more than 23%.

The e-retailer is negotiating with Verizon, T-Mobile and Dish about the possibility of reselling their mobile services to its Prime members at low cost or potentially free, Bloomberg reported. The discussions have been going on for six to eight weeks and have also included AT&T, but it could be several more months before a plan materializes, according to the report.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:00 PM   #214
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone looking to get an iPhone 15 this year? Shouldn't be a problem with the early production ...

I've read the Pro versions will cost more. I'll just have to see how good the T-Mobile deals are for 12 Pro Max trade in but thinking about the 6.7" 15 Plus.

Quote:
Chinese site IT Home reports that the Apple supply chain has started preparing for iPhone 15 parts production. Earlier reports had indicated that mass production would begin in late June and today's report suggests that the first batch of products will be ready by July.

The report states that 'Apple has issued a stocking order for the iPhone 15,' likely to avoid the disruptions which resulted in long wait times for the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max last year.
Some of the new stuff below.

Quote:
The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max will likely be powered by a new 3nm chip and could feature a a titanium frame. The highest-end model is also likely to have a periscope telephoto camera to enable 5-6x optical zoom. Whether these changes would be enough to help the phones outshine the current best phones of 2023 remains to be seen.

The iPhone 15 and 15 Plus are expected to get the iPhone 14 Pro's 48MP main camera, dynamic island, and A16 Bionic chip, but will likely stick with 60Hz displays.

The series could also feature a new programable Action button as well as a USB-C port. If the past is any indication, the lineup will be revealed in September.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:09 AM   #215
GrantDawg

My son is breaking away from the Iphone. I'm not sure whether he is getting a Samsung or Pixel.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #216
Edward64
Head Coach

I read the below and thought it was a great idea. Some sort of phone "docking station" that had the necessary ports (HDMI, USB, bluetooth) connected to an external monitor w/keyboard & mouse.

I know why Apple wouldn't want this (it would eat into their PC sales) but if Google Pixel can show there's enough demand ...

Quote:
The torrent of Pixel 8-related leaks continues to pour out ahead of its tentative July-August launch. Previously, we learned about its display specs, its Tensor G3 SoC and its ability to function as an IR thermometer. Prolific leaker @Za_Raczke (H/T Android Authority) has now shed light on yet another interesting Pixel 8 feature.

The Google Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro will be the first of their kind with the ability to output display over USB-C via the DisplayPort Alt Mode, allowing users to connect it to an external monitor and use it as a desktop replacement (of sorts). Thanks to existing solutions from Samsung, Motorola and Nokia, plenty of Android apps already work well with large screens, so app support shouldn't be much of an issue.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #217
Edward64
Head Coach

I understand Apple being #1 in Japan but don't get Pixel at #2.

Another article said Apple had approx. 48% share. Below quote says Pixel has 9% share, so quite a gap between #1 and #2.

I'd think if they weren't happy with homegrown Sharp/Sony, they'd naturally gravitate towards Samsung. Wonder what the Pixel appeal is.

Google's now the number 2 smartphone brand, at least in one country
Quote:
Counterpoint Research reports that Pixel phones are seeing massive growth in the Japanese market in Q1 2023. In fact, the brand is now the number two smartphone maker in the country after Apple, accounting for 9% of the market in the quarter. This represents 67% growth compared to a year ago.

The tracking firm noted that Google’s performance puts it ahead of homegrown rivals like Sharp and even Sony in the country. That’s no mean feat in a market that’s previously embraced its local brands.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #218
GrantDawg

Quote:
I understand Apple being #1 in Japan but don't get Pixel at #2.

Another article said Apple had approx. 48% share. Below quote says Pixel has 9% share, so quite a gap between #1 and #2.

I'd think if they weren't happy with homegrown Sharp/Sony, they'd naturally gravitate towards Samsung. Wonder what the Pixel appeal is.

Google's now the number 2 smartphone brand, at least in one country
Cameras? Windows integration? Really good prices?
Old 07-07-2023, 01:00 PM   #219
Edward64
Head Coach

I’m going to guess Samsung covers all of that, especially the camera
Old 07-07-2023, 01:07 PM   #220
GrantDawg

Quote:
I'm not a phone expert, but my understanding the Pixel camera is supposed to very good. Like a selling point good.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-07-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:20 PM   #221
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yes, what the Pixel lacks in camera sensor/hardware it makes up with their superior software and processing. Add that to a very vanilla Android experience and you have a phone that is a very appealing to some people.

Here is a site whose metrics are frequently used -- https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones/

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-07-2023 at 01:21 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:47 AM   #222
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I just got a Moto Razr+ and I have to say it's pretty sweet. The outer screen is a game changer. It's actually useable as a mini phone as opposed to the earlier flip phones that were glorified pagers. I'm literally surfing fofc on the outer screen and typing this reply without opening the phone.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:48 AM   #223
Edward64
Head Coach

2 big news over past couple days (okay, just rumors really) for the Sept iPhone reveal.

iPhone 15 will come in Barbie pink. Also, supposedly "stacked battery" which will significantly increase battery life.

I'm going for the pink and increased battery life is great.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:16 AM   #224
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I just got a Moto Razr+ and I have to say it's pretty sweet. The outer screen is a game changer. It's actually useable as a mini phone as opposed to the earlier flip phones that were glorified pagers. I'm literally surfing fofc on the outer screen and typing this reply without opening the phone.

Found this article on a durability test, see the video. I was squirming at times as he was scratching things up!

Motorola Razr Plus durability test comes to unprecedented end - NotebookCheck.net News

Looks pretty neat. I like my iPhone but admit to being a little jealous. But I do have a Android beater phone, so maybe in 2 years time I can buy one of these for $300.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:41 PM   #225
Edward64
Head Coach

Galaxy > Motorola

Galaxy Z Flip5 trounces Razr 40 Ultra in fold test, surpasses Samsung's official claims - GSMArena.com news
Quote:
Galaxy Z Flip5 trounces Razr 40 Ultra in fold test, surpasses Samsung's official claims
Quote:
Several days later and after over 400,000 folds, the Great Folding Test Vol. II is finally over. YouTube channel Mrkeybrd showed a multi-day livestream during which the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip5 went head to head with the Motorola Razr 40 Ultra (aka Razr+).

The Galaxy Z Flip5 was the last phone standing, after an impressive 401,156 folds. There were some issues along the way, around half way through (223K folds) the hinge lost its ability to maintain half-closed angles. Still, the phone kept chugging along until the 400K mark.
Quote:
For comparison, the Moto Razr 40 Ultra failed much earlier – it died at just 126,266 cycles.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:48 PM   #226
Ksyrup

I'm interested in a foldable mainly because I have no use for tablets. My last Android tablet was terrible from the moment I bought it. But I'm old, my eyes suck and I could use the bigger screen. So a foldable makes sense.

I'm holding off on the Fold 5 because it really didn't add much to the 4. But I am very interested in the One Plus Open which is supposed to come to the US later this year. It's based on the Oppo Find N2 which is not available here. I'll see what the price point is and what the reviews are before deciding to jump in or wait for another yearly update on what's out there.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-09-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:39 AM   #227
Edward64
Head Coach

Anyone excited about the Apple event & iPhone 15 launch on Sep 12?

Estimated prices are for base 128GB are:

Quote:
iPhone 15 - 128GB ... $799
iPhone 15 Plus - 128GB ... $899
iPhone 15 Pro - 128GB ... $1,099
iPhone 15 Pro Max - 128GB ... $1,199

I'll have to see how good the T-Mobile deals are but targeting iPhone 15 Plus or 15 Pro (have to read reviews on the camera). Or I may just buy a new battery for my iPhone 12 Pro Max, currently at 86%.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #228
Ksyrup

Not at all.

I'm waiting for the OnePlus launch of the Open, which is their folding phone. It's apparently based on its parent's Oppo Find which is available most places except the US. Not sure I'm going to get it, but if the reviews are good, I might bypass the Fold for the Open (especially if they price it a couple hundred less in the US to get some traction).
Old 09-03-2023, 04:52 PM   #229
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My XR is still chugging along fine, so no. I either upgrade when my phone looks like it's starting to poop out or when my wife thinks that my phone has been eligible for upgrade for too many years.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #230
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, iPhone 15 has been announced. A pleasant surprise on pricing ...

For base models ...

Quote:
iPhone 15 - 128GB ... $799
iPhone 15 Plus - 128GB ... $899
iPhone 15 Pro - 128GB ... $999 was predicted at $1,099
iPhone 15 Pro Max - 256GB ... $1,199

Maybe 15 Pro, primarily for camera and 3x zoom. Apple says my iPhone 12 Pro Max is worth $450 to them so a delta of $550.

T-Mobile trade-in, upgrade plans expected this Fri. From what I've read so far, the best plans are going to be for upper tier T-Mobile plans (I have the very basic family plan). So may not get a great deal.

So who knows ...
Old 09-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #231
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
My XR is still chugging along fine, so no. I either upgrade when my phone looks like it's starting to poop out or when my wife thinks that my phone has been eligible for upgrade for too many years.

Same. These are very first world problems.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 05:30 AM   #232
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
T-Mobile trade-in, upgrade plans expected this Fri. From what I've read so far, the best plans are going to be for upper tier T-Mobile plans (I have the very basic family plan). So may not get a great deal.

Pretty much this. T-Mobile deals are great for higher tier plans but not so much for me. I have the low-end Essentials 4 x $120 plan and Apple gives me a much better trade in than T-Mobile ($450 vs $250).

I'll wait till BF but doubt there'll be better deals for the lower tier plans.

FWIW in researching T-Mobile deals, I'm disappointed that T-Mobile is no longer the "simple plans". There's so many variations pricing/plans available. I like they're the Big 3 but hate they followed the other 2 in pricing/plans mess.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #233
Edward64
Head Coach

iPhone 15s are out there now. Checking out the non-professional reviews and found a drop test between 14 Pro vs 15 Pro. Caution - the drops made me wince quite a bit.

Not as scientific as I would like, the drop angles weren't well controlled. But basically 14 Pro >>> 15 Pro in the drop tests. The 15 Pro titanium & thinner bezels don't protect as well as the 14 Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qOLjKzc-kQ&t=595s

I'm suspicious these guy bought AppleCare and will be exchanging the damaged phones. Waiting for camera comparison reviews.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:28 PM   #234
Edward64
Head Coach

T-Mobile Tuesdays is a nice perk.

Had a Little Caeser's large pepperoni pizza for $3 (normally $6). Our default is Mellow Mushroom pizzas but decided to try it out.

Not fantastic but definitely better than frozen pizza at the same price.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #235
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Samsung is Korean and that WW2 rival stuff still has a major impact in both countries.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #236
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Living in Asia, it is a bit easier to access the offbeat brands. My last phone? The Poco M3. Poco is an offshoot of Xiaomi and it hit all the things I look for in a phone. Weird name. Check. Big Battery. Check. Questionable quality? Double Check.

If you research the M3, you will find there are scores of reported issues around deadbooting. The phone will just start randomly going in a reboot cycle until the battery runs out. I can confirm this is the #truth! But yet I soldiered on and still used it. Because eventually I could safeboot the thing and get it to run normally.

Starting last week, the notifications have stopped working. I have no idea why. No matter what settings I tweak. So I said No MAS . Time for a new phone.

Did I learn from my mistake and pick a more reliable name brand? Of course not! God help me , I just ordered the Oukitel WP22, a phone which came out this year but somehow has a low end processor that was made 4 years ago, but my god, the battery. 10000 mAH! And it apparently has the loudest speaker in the smartphone market. I'm sold! It is due to arrive next week. I am excited to see how this baby hums

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:59 AM   #237
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Literally LOL at that post. Thank you!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:25 AM   #238
Flasch186
Coordinator

$29.99

But wait!

There’s more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 06:30 AM   #239
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Living in Asia, it is a bit easier to access the offbeat brands. My last phone? The Poco M3. Poco is an offshoot of Xiaomi and it hit all the things I look for in a phone. Weird name. Check. Big Battery. Check. Questionable quality? Double Check.

Years ago, I decided to get a throwaway smartphone for international travel (e.g. something I can use to take pics as a tourist without worrying about it being stolen). I think I was in Hong Kong or Bangkok airport where I got a Redmi for like $150.

It worked well enough. Nothing great. I was in Asia earlier this year and was tempted to buy the budget Huawei brand just so I could bring it back into the US and see if it works okay.

So what is your fascination on these offbeat (and questionable quality) brands?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:24 AM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

For those that have parents using iPhones, this may be helpful. Google on "Assistive Access" for details.

Available with iOS 17. Wife thinks this will work great with her parents.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-10-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:03 AM   #241
Kodos
Resident Alien

That does look helpful, both the large icons and the pared-down interface. My Dad has a lot of trouble with electronics at this point. But he uses Android devices.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #242
Ksyrup

I really think I'm going to take the plunge on the OnePlus Open foldable phone. Pre-order page is up and the launch is October 19th.

If you subscribe, you get a $50 bonus coupon and with a pre-order on October 19th, an additional $200 off, up to $1000 trade-in credit for any phone (haven't seen a trade-in value chart yet), free limited edition ear buds, and 0% 24 month financing. Rumor is a price of $1800, so that's $1450 before the trade-in. If I can get $300+ for my Galaxy 21 Ultra, that brings it down below $1200 which is an acceptable price point for me for a foldable.

http://www.oneplus.com/us/launch/open#
Old 10-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #243
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Marques gave the OP Open positive marks

https://youtu.be/jD9n01Mck0Q?si=uMM5120lqgGJeD2J

I have an OP 11 btw

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-19-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #244
Edward64
Head Coach

I like that guy. He's got an easy going demeanor.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:44 AM   #245
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Well he's been doing it a long time. He's an OG YouTuber that started making tech videos when he was like 12.

https://youtu.be/9gk_rl3y_SU?si=NEoBwsQUaoCvMxyd

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-19-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:42 AM   #246
Ksyrup

I've read several very positive reviews of the OnePlus Open, and a few say it's the best foldable out there at this point. I still have not pulled the trigger though. The main reason - and I suspect I'm not alone among US people - is the lack of a carrier deal. This phone is only available from OP, Amazon and Best Buy in the US.

What that means is there's no good trade-in deals. I've had AT&T for 20 years - I don't need an unlocked phone. What I appreciate is that if I wanted to trade in my Galaxy S21 Ultra for a Fold5, they would give me $1000 for it and a 30-month payment plan to make the price less than $25 a month. OP is offering a $200 "any phone" trade in and pretty crappy offers for actual phones. Like, I have some old OLD phones in a desk drawer and they'd give me $200 off the Open, bringing the cost to $1500. They also have some minor incentives that might bring it down another $50-75. But the trade in they are offering for my Galaxy is another $190. So maybe I could get the phone for around $1200-1250, at best, and they offer a 24 month no interest payment plan. That ain't gonna cut it.

We'll see if one of the retailers ups the ante around Black Friday. Maybe that would give me enough reason to jump. But I'm not paying $1500ish out of pocket, nor am I paying twice as much a month than I could for a Fold5.

Also, one other thing that interests me about some of the complaints. Nearly every one complained about lack of wireless charging. I don't get it. I've had wireless charging with Galaxy for years - including a free charging pad - and I used it once. What is the deal? I charge my phone at night, plugged in. With the charging pad I plug it in the same spot I would plug my phone in and put the phone on the pad. BFD! In the car, my charging pad heats my phone up way too much so I just, again, easily use a wired charger. I have no use for wireless charging, but I'm curious why so many people think it's a big deal. I feel like wireless charging is the same "big deal to everyone else except me" thing as using your phone to pay at a store. I have never even considered such a thing. It's already easy enough to hold a card up to the terminal for 2 seconds, and I'm never not going to have my wallet on me. So why bother?
Old 10-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #247
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I also had an easy time dropping the wireless charging that was included with my Pixel, and then Galaxy. It helps when OP's fast charging is the best in the biz.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #248
Ksyrup

Still subject to change, but I decided not to go for the OP Open even though I've seen nothing but good reviews for it, many saying it's the best foldable available in the US. Two reasons - one, the lack of carrier tie-ins means I'll have to pay around $1400 for it, and two, I'm not sure how good the warranty service will be in the event something happens to it and I'm not spending over $300 for OPs insurance.

So then the wife and I discussed trading our phones in for good value to get the last model Galaxy S23 (me) and iPhone 14 (her). Except Apple apparently does this assholish thing where they discontinue the most popular version of their last model phone when the new model comes out (14 Pro). That's the model my wife wants. AT&T has it but her phone isn't allowed to trade in for it. But it's worth $700 if she'll move to the 15 Pro. Well, we've heard bad things about the 15 about overheating and the new titanium build being really fragile. And I'm not upgrading her phone to have her bitch about problems with it, especially since I already hate Apple products.

So, we decided to just ride with our phones for now. I'll see what the S24 looks like in a couple months (although I saw rumors they were taking a step back on processor), or of my phone lasts long enough, maybe see next summer/fall what a new Fold or Open looks like.

I haven't gone this long (3 years) since trading in a phone but it also feels like, outside of foldables, most phones are reaching the limit of upgrades and it's just incremental stuff that's maybe not worth it. Like buying a new version of OOTP every year. Soaybe I can go 3-5 years with one model if the battery doesn't crap out.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-05-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:01 AM   #249
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, we've heard bad things about the 15 about overheating and the new titanium build being really fragile. And I'm not upgrading her phone to have her bitch about problems with it, especially since I already hate Apple products.
The overheating has pretty much been resolved. Or at least the majority of cases.

The 15 titanium is more "fragile" than the 14 but unless your wife tends to drop her phone and goes without a case, that shouldn't be an issue either.

With that said, unless she wants the best iPhone cameras, maybe just wait for the 16.

Quote:
I haven't gone this long (3 years) since trading in a phone but it also feels like, outside of foldables, most phones are reaching the limit of upgrades and it's just incrental stuff that'saybr not worth it.
3-4 years is about my cadence. Currently have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and want a 15 Pro Max. Don't need it, just want it primarily for the 48 mega-pixel camera & video. I would get the 14 Pro Max but like you say, Apple doesn't have it. So, trying to rationalize the needs vs wants.

T-Mobile isn't helping because we've got the low tier Essentials family plan (4 for $120+taxes) and Apple gives a better trade-in than T-Mobile.

I'm secretly hoping that Verizon or AT&T will give a 4 for $120 deal and fantastic trade-in for new subscribers. That's deal doesn't exist yet.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:27 PM   #250
Edward64
Head Coach

iPhones are the best!

Quote:
iPhone survives 16,000-foot fall after door plug blows off Alaska Air flight 1282