Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2023, 06:24 PM   #451
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
There's a real difference between someone dropping a few pieces and someone making a really big mess. It's pretty much up to the FA to set the standards on the plane. My point was responding to the point that you can do what you want because someone else will clean it. And sure, someone will, however, people can do better, because allowing it for one, accepts it for all. That was it. I didn't look at the article, I've only followed along with it at the periphery, so I can't speak to this particular event. Kids make messes. I think that's to be expected. Some parents are of the mindset though, that they shouldn't lift a finger for their kids on a plane, and when you see plenty of that too, it changes the expectation for what you would like to see.

As for that other guy. Only heard part of his rant, but know enough that he's really going to regret all that and all this attention. He sounded just like that baby.

I hear what you are saying. I don't expect people to be able to do what they want. I am also not supporting intentionally making a mess just because you don't have to clean it up. I am just looking at the picture. If I am a passenger on that plane on that plane, and those two kids specifically the two year old are maintain that behavior and the only issue is the popcorn I see on the ground? I am positive that there were one hundred things more bothersome that happened on that flight than the popcorn I see on the ground. Let's put it this way, I don't remember seeing flight attendants had adult passengers rags and some spray bottles when they have accidents after having one too many drinks in the Sky Club before the flight. Combine that with the other guy's antics and I really don't understand what we keep insisting on bringing more kids into the world to bother the collective us so much.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #452
molson
General Manager

I feel guilty when I leave trash in the seat pockets.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:20 AM   #453
Edward64
Head Coach

I would love to do a mini-version like this (couldn't handle 3 years).

Why I signed up to live on a cruise ship for three years | CNN
Quote:
When Sharon Lane heard about a cruise company offering a three-year-long voyage around the world, she immediately started fantasizing about life on board.

Life at Sea Cruises is selling places on board the MV Gemini, which sets sail from Istanbul on November 1 on an epic global journey that will take in most of the planet’s prime cruising destinations.
If it's $30K a year for the cheapest room, then guessing maybe $45K a year for a room with a window & balcony. Can't handle a "virtual inside" room, would need a window.

Quote:
The cheapest rooms on the MV Gemini cost around $30,000 per year, including a discount for solo travelers. Lane calculated this cost was manageable, and decided to dive in.
:
Lane has opted for one of the cheapest cabins on board – what Life at Sea Cruises’ is calling a “Virtual Inside” room. The 130-square-feet cabin has no window, but guests have been promised a screen that will broadcast live footage from outside the ship.
I think her assessment of covid measures is wishful thinking. Probably significantly increases her risk.

Quote:
Lane suffers from a medical condition in her lungs which she says makes her more susceptible to the effects of Covid-19 and other respiratory viruses. She’s rarely been out of her home, let alone on vacation, since the pandemic took hold.

But rather than being apprehensive about boarding a cruise ship, Lane suggests she’ll be more comfortable on board than on land – she’s confident in the cruise’s Covid measures and the medical facilities available on board, and also plans to take her own precautions.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-22-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:39 PM   #454
Edward64
Head Coach

PSA to potheads. Don't try it in Singapore, go to Thailand instead.

Last time I flew into Singapore, they made an announcement before landing about drugs and the death penalty. I could just hear the toilets flushing.

This guy was a Singaporean national. I suspect US and European smugglers will get off easier.

Quote:
A Singaporean man convicted of trying to traffic around 2.2 pounds of cannabis was executed on Wednesday, his family confirmed to CNN, a sentence lambasted by rights groups and campaigners for its severity at a time when many other nations, including neighboring countries, have adopted a more lenient approach towards drugs and capital punishment.

While cannabis has been legalized in a growing number of nations worldwide, Singapore maintains some of the world’s harshest drug laws and its government remains adamant that capital punishment works to deter drug traffickers and must remain in place to maintain public safety.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-25-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:05 PM   #455
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

While I personally think a zero-tolerance-for-drugs policy is stupid and counterproductive, and the penalties there are over-the-top, it's not as if the Singaporeans are wishy-washy or unclear about enforcement.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #456
Edward64
Head Coach

Hanging. I guess better than beheading.

I wonder how come they don't try more "humane" methods.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

probably a further deterrent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:23 AM   #458
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Can we put people to death who rush to the front to deplane for no other reason than to be a dick?

Happened with a group on our last flight. We got in around midnight, you literally have nowhere to be. Then I saw them waiting at baggage... you literally gained no benefit other than to be annoying.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #459
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always jump out of my seat and block those people. Fuck em
Old 05-02-2023, 06:43 AM   #460
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm calling BS on this. I cannot imagine a scenario where vast majority would be comfortable flying in a 1 pilot Airbus, augmented by AI.

I can envision where FedEx, UPS etc. freight planes are eventually flown by 1 pilot for manageable distances (e.g. Memphis to Atlanta in 2 hours), but not passenger planes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/one-...dent-says.html
Quote:
As the aviation sector starts to embrace artificial intelligence, planes flying with just one pilot are a possibility, according to Emirates President Tim Clark.

“You might see a one-pilot aircraft,” Clark told CNBC’s Hadley Gamble Tuesday, but said it will likely take some time to come to fruition — and might not necessarily be what passengers want.

″[Passengers] like to think there are two pilots up there,” he added.
Definitely harness AI but don't think this guy knows much about inevitable bugs, hacking etc.

Quote:
As the scale and power of artificial intelligence rapidly increase, it is important that the aviation sector takes a step back and assesses the difference it could make, Clark said, adding: “Harness it, use it. Don’t fear it.”
Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 AM   #461
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is literally zero chance I am ever getting on a plane with one pilot.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:55 AM   #462
Edward64
Head Coach

Need to know the details on the proposal but probably a good step in the right direction. Whenever I've had a flight cancelled or delayed, I have gotten hotel rooms or a food voucher, my flights have been rescheduled etc.

I can see where airlines can do more. Assistance when missing a connecting flight on a different airline, driving home and mileage if a flight has been cancelled till the next day, provide better snack besides fruit bars & water bottles, charged a night at destination because of the delay etc.

Biden wants airlines to give you miles, vouchers or even cash if they strand you
Quote:
President Biden and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg are pushing for airline passengers to be compensated if they're stranded for reasons other than the weather, the latest effort from the White House to force changes to the flying experience in the face of widespread customer dissatisfaction.

Many airlines already offer refunds, hotel rooms, and meals, but federal officials want the carriers to go further. Biden and Buttigieg unveiled a new push Monday that airlines provide customers with vouchers, miles or even cash when flights get canceled or significantly delayed by something within a carrier's control, like a mechanical issue.

“When an airline causes a flight cancellation or delay, passengers should not foot the bill,” Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said in a statement. He adds that this is the first time in U.S. history that such a far-reaching rule has been proposed.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:43 AM   #463
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Given the choice between hanging and a beheading, I'd take option 2. It's quicker.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #464
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Given the choice between hanging and a beheading, I'd take option 2. It's quicker.

Uh no. If I had to pick between the 2, probably hanging. Check out below, all of it is good but relevant section is about 5:40+.

About 30 secs while your head is rolling around while still "conscious".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hm9jjAJnsE
Old 05-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #465
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting metrics. In addition to %, they need to have # of delays/cancellations by year.

Airlines, FAA, weather? Data shows fault for delayed, canceled flights.
Quote:
It will be up to the Transportation Department to write rules governing the compensation that Biden called for Monday. One of the issues the department said it will tackle is defining what qualifies as a delay or cancellation within an airline’s control, and the requirements are likely to apply only to flights delayed by several hours.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:22 AM   #466
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So in other words, nothing has really changed except a couple of highly publicized, poorly timed airline issues. Not saying as a customer I don't want more protections, but these numbers are strikingly static over the past 5 years aside from Covid-related cancellations (I assume) and winter 2023 weather (which I assume will smooth out for all of 2023 over time).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:16 AM   #467
PilotMan
Head Coach

Another way to read that is that the system has reached maximum efficiency and without some real investment in the infrastructure from the government, it's not likely to change more. The last major airport was built in the US 30 years ago. We're only now implementing things that could have been available to us 20 years ago. There's been so little investment on the public side that there's a limit to how things can actually operate.

The other metric would be to take these numbers as a function of passenger flow. And do you see substantial changes in various delays based on traffic.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #468
Ksyrup

There's a guy who looks suspiciously like Dennis Rader boarding my plane. Is this one of those "see something say something" situations?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-17-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #469
Ksyrup

Also I think his backpack is engraved BTK but I can't be 100% sure. Does that help?
Old 05-26-2023, 06:31 AM   #470
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, this would have made me crap in my pants. I'll be paying more attention now as we are landing (and take off). I'd like to think that I'll rush towards the incident and help out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65705276
Quote:
A man has been arrested for opening the emergency door of an Asiana Airlines flight as it was landing in South Korea.
:
As it was landing about an hour later, a male passenger opened the emergency door while the plane was still 250m from ground.

A passenger's video shared on social media shows the gap in the left hand side of the plane and winds buffeting rows of seated passengers.

Flight attendants had not been able to stop him because the plane was about to land, witnesses recounted to local media.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-26-2023 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:16 AM   #471
Edward64
Head Coach

Been reading some tiktok post about wearing a fly fishing vest allowing them to pack more. Creative but a little tacky.

I personally don't have an issue with weight limits in the US, Spirit airlines is 40lbs. But I've flown budget Asian airlines that have 7kg or 15.5lb limits before they start to charge extra. The rollerboard itself is probably 4-6 pounds already.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:23 AM   #472
Edward64
Head Coach

Please don't let him be from the US.

Tourist filmed carving his girlfriend's name into Rome's Colosseum | CNN
Quote:
Italy’s culture minister is calling for a man to be “identified and sanctioned” after he was filmed allegedly carving his and his fiancée’s names into the Colosseum in Rome.

Gennaro Sangiuliano tweeted on Monday: “I consider it very serious, unworthy and a sign of great incivility that a tourist defaces one of the most famous places in the world, a historical heritage (site) such as the Colosseum, to carve the name of his fiancée.”
I vote for a bigger fine and a 2 week prison stint. Fiancé also.

Quote:
If convicted of a crime, the man could face a fine of at least €15,000 ($16,360) or up to five years in prison, the news agency said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-27-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #473
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty.

Icon of the Seas: The world's biggest cruise ship is almost ready | CNN
Quote:
A vessel that’s set to be the world’s biggest cruise ship has completed construction at a shipyard in Finland and has made its first foray into open water for sea trials ahead of likely delivery in October this year.

Royal Caribbean International’s Icon of the Seas is a mammoth 365 meters long (nearly 1,200 feet) and will weigh a projected 250,800 tonnes. For comparison, that’s like trying to keep two CN Towers afloat.

When it sets sail on Caribbean waters in January 2024, it will comfortably hold some 5,610 passengers and 2,350 crew. The boat’s piece de resistance will be the world’s largest waterpark at sea. Named Category 6, it’ll feature six record-breaking water slides, but guests who want a more leisurely experience can also relax in the boat’s seven pools and nine whirlpools.

Another article said approx $2B to build.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:44 PM   #474
Ksyrup

I saw something about another tarmac worker sucked into a jet engine. I think it was Texas. Except... PLOT TWIST... apparently it was suicide. Seriously.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:52 PM   #475
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah I read that.

My first thought was I would hate to have seen that live (e.g. I like window seats around the middle section). My second was wondering how much of a mess that would has been. My third was there are easier ways.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:56 PM   #476
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’ve heard a lot about icon. Crazy. We leave in 10 days for quantum of the seas which is a huge ship in its own right. Can’t wait to explore it.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:55 PM   #477
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Yeah I read that.

My first thought was I would hate to have seen that live (e.g. I like window seats around the middle section). My second was wondering how much of a mess that would has been. My third was there are easier ways.
Really? I imagine there are few that are as near instantaneous.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #478
Edward64
Head Coach

It’s getting to that final step before being sucked in ….

I’d go with an OD of opiates or like.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #479
Ksyrup

Well, given the coverage that the one in AL got a few months ago, I'm wondering if airport people discussed it and were told it was a quick death and that gave someone with suicidal thoughts the idea of going quickly in the same manner. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a suicide.

EDIT - I just saw a report that the worker gave his boss a suicide note wrapped in a $1 bill.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-27-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:09 PM   #480
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Please don't let him be from the US.

Tourist filmed carving his girlfriend's name into Rome's Colosseum | CNN

I vote for a bigger fine and a 2 week prison stint. Fiancé also.

Those damn "ugly Brits"!

(Not US, thank you God)

Rome’s Colosseum: Tourist filmed allegedly carving ‘Ivan+Hayley’ has been identified, police say | CNN
Quote:
The visitor who this week allegedly scratched “Ivan+Hayley 23” on a brick wall of one of the world’s most precious buildings, has been identified, according to Italy’s culture minister.

And after a spate of Americans trashing Italian heritage sites last year, some readers will be relieved to know that this time, the suspect isn’t from the US – he’s from the UK.

Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano tweeted Thursday that the Carabinieri, a military police force, had “identified the person presumed to be responsible for the uncivilized and absurd act committed at the Colosseum.”
Old 06-30-2023, 07:48 AM   #481
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I got stuck in Madrid on Wed after a cancelled connection. Lots of talk about the EU law that provides for compensation of up to 600 euros. It appears that the law gives an exemption for weather-related delays/cancellations. I'm not sure of the cause of this cancellation but there were many flights from Madrid to the US cancelled on Wed. Seems like it was likely weather on the US east coast. Anyone have any experience filing a claim?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:39 AM   #482
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They should have him fight a lion in the Colosseum as an undercard to the Musk-Zuckerberg fight.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #483
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife and I had talked about visiting Paris next summer. We want to spend a couple weeks there and really explore Paris. And spend days in the Louvre.

Good thing we aren't there this past & next week.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:07 PM   #484
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Wife and I had talked about visiting Paris next summer. We want to spend a couple weeks there and really explore Paris. And spend days in the Louvre.

Good thing we aren't there this past & next week.

Even without this mess you might want to reconsider. I think they host the Olympics next summer

Last edited by bob : 07-02-2023 at 05:07 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #485
Ksyrup

We're doing 4 days in London and 4 days in Paris next May, coming home the day after Memorial Day.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:09 AM   #486
Edward64
Head Coach

I was on the Wyndham website checking out hotels. Not sure when it started happening but Wyndham offers financing for your hotel stay (in my case it was for 2 days at approx $210).

Is this a thing now?
Old 07-05-2023, 07:19 AM   #487
GrantDawg

Quote:
I was on the Wyndham website checking out hotels. Not sure when it started happening but Wyndham offers financing for your hotel stay (in my case it was for 2 days at approx $210).

Is this a thing now?
There is a company that is specializing in financing vacations. I noticed that when dream shopping cruises. I'm sure the rates are worse than your credit cards.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:27 AM   #488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There is a company that is specializing in financing vacations. I noticed that when dream shopping cruises. I'm sure the rates are worse than your credit cards.

From 6% to 36% depending on the lender and your credit score (per NerdWallet)

Same article notes that Some lenders, like Uplift and Affirm, partner with major airlines, hotel companies and travel websites to include BNPL financing for travelers when they book their tickets.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:34 AM   #489
Edward64
Head Coach

It was financing through "uplift".

Honestly, if you have to finance a 2 day stay for $210, you probably should not be staying there (unless it was a major, unforeseen emergency). I guess there's a market for this though ...

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-05-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #490
Ksyrup

I definitely recall seeing one of these companies on the Carnival website when we booked last year. I think it was Affirm?
Old 07-05-2023, 09:35 AM   #491
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Honestly, if you have to finance a 2 day stay for $210, you probably should not be staying there (unless it was a major, unforeseen emergency). I guess there's a market for this though ...

Quoting Butter from the Biden thread:

Quote:
Our entire economy is built on people being fucking idiots about their money. People buying homes they can't afford, running up credit card debt they can't pay, taking out loans to start up businesses that will fail.

I believe the last time I bought airline tickets this was an option as well.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #492
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Family leaves for an Alaskan cruise Friday. Fly from Jersey to PDX, rent a car and drive to Seattle.

Wife booked her ticket separate from me and 2 kids because of the way the miles worked out. She travels a lot for work and gets upgraded frequently. Currently she is in the aisle seat across from me and 2 kids. There are 2 seats available in first class and she is 2nd on the upgrade list. She has said if she gets upgraded she will give it to me. Is this a trap?
Old 07-05-2023, 11:13 AM   #493
Ksyrup

There are dozens of articles written on that exact subject.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #494
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's definitely a trap.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #495
GrantDawg

Quote:
It was financing through "uplift".

It is probably just automatically there, whether it were one night at $89 or a week at $5,000.
Edit: Just like paypal trying to get me to break down even minor purchases into 4 payments.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-05-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:47 PM   #496
Ksyrup

I happen to be looking at MLB tickets and the same deal - Affirm is offering 4 installment payments for everything, including two $28 tickets (4 payments of $14!).
Old 07-08-2023, 09:55 PM   #497
Ksyrup

One of my daughter's best friends was flying back from Miami after a cruise today and their plane caught fire in the air (I don't know the details) and they were diverted to Charlotte (flight was going to Chicago). It was an American flight. They took the exact same cruise - same ship and itinerary - we did back in February. She was scared enough to start texting everyone that she loved them if she didn't make it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:59 AM   #498
Ksyrup

As I've gotten deep into credit card and other travel company rewards, I've learned the importance of checking and re-checking (and re-checking over and over) prices and rebooking rewards reservations where I can. My email folders for each trip we take are a mess of reservations and cancellations, but it saves money/points/miles.

Hotels are the best use of this, because most hotels have pretty generous cancellation policies (sometimes up to the day of check-in), unless you book a "saver"/non-refundable rate. I'm headed to Atlanta on Sunday to hang out with an old friend - go to a Braves game in the afternoon, followed by a King's X concert that night - so I booked the Intercontinental (I've got Ambassador status and Premium Elite IHG status) a few months ago for 55K points. I checked last week and it was down to 48K, so I rebooked. This morning, I checked again, and it's 41K. I'm going to keep checking all week because a few thousand saved points here and there can add up.

On the flip side, I already booked our hotels for London and Paris for next May (same deal - I went with Intercontinental due to the perks and IHG's book 3 rewards nights, get a 4th night free), and in checking the rates, the London hotel price for the stay went up 75K in the 3 weeks since I booked it. The Paris Intercontinental no longer has any rewards nights available to book. I'll keep checking over the coming months, but I think I lucked into a decent deal on those hotels.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #499
molson
General Manager

I find that Facebook groups specific to reward programs can help a lot. IHG has some big ones - they're great for getting info to compare IHG properties in a particular city, what your chances of an upgrade are, whether redemption amounts for a hotel are trending up or down, etc.

Groups for specific airline programs can let you know where certain low-mileage travel sweet spots are.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #500
Ksyrup

I don't do FB anymore, but I check and re-check pricing often for all of our stays and flights.

I certainly hope the federal legislation that would destroy rewards programs doesn't get legs. The reality is, consumers don't really get anything out of it, as the cost savings are not passed along (shocker!), but credit card companies would lose revenue and devalue their rewards programs.

What is the Credit Card Competition Act? - The Points Guy

On another note, it just dawned on me while watching Wimbledon that I accidentally booked our 4 nights in Paris to coincide with the start of the French Open, so you better bet I'll be getting tickets to Day 1. We head back to London on Memorial day and fly back home the following day. The unintended benefits of being unaware/stupid!