Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #301
PilotMan
Head Coach

My piloty son Zachary as finished his Commercial pilot rating and his Commercial Multi Engine rating this year. He started a job flying as the 2nd pilot on a King Air on some weekends. He's already done a Denver and Martha's Vineyard trip. He really likes it. He's still on track to graduate in a year and a half.

My company is funneling all future prospects into a recruitment program. The entire process puts them through the same interview and screening process that every other job applicant goes through. He still would need to graduate college, fly enough to get his minimum required hours as an instructor or in the King Air, then get hired by a partner airline and work there a minimum of 2 years (more like 2.5 or 3) then he'd be eligible to flow right to the main company. So the whole thing is 3.5-5 years away. But.....

He finally got his invitation to start the process. This weekend he had to take and pass an corporate ethics exam, the personality tests, and the brain problems/knowledge and skills screening. This morning he got the invitation to schedule his interview. I am very happy for him. His interview is scheduled for the middle of December. He's got that to plan and look forward to now. Easy to be a proud dad.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #302
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Congrats! That is very exciting.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #303
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's cool, congrats!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #304
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome news. Good for your son.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #305
Edward64
Head Coach

Kid got a job offer yesterday. He graduated in Aug but has been job hunting since July so its been 3 months. He's been diligent applying for jobs and has gotten quite a few interviews (and multiple ones from companies).

He got a healthcare, business management degree. The plan was graduate school with a specific specialization but he decided he really didn't want to pursue it. So it was a general degree.

New job is healthcare related, decent salary. Based about 13-14 hour drive away. Will start to look at apartments etc. Told him go in with attitude of learning as much as possible, network etc. have that next jump in mind (unless he really loves the job and company).

One big worry off my mind. Next up is the sophomore daughter.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #306
Ksyrup

I'm hopeful my daughter will have a job starting in January. She graduates in December and has been student teaching this last semester at a school where there are a couple openings. She's already applied for one position they asked her to apply for, even though she technically won't be eligible until she has graduated and gets her state certification. She may have a very busy last couple of weeks of 2021 if she get the job.

Worst-case, she subs for the spring semester at a bunch of different schools and applies for jobs for the fall. She's pretty much guaranteed to work every day given the teacher/sub shortages right now. They've pulled her several times from student teaching to handle her own classroom as a sub.

Now, my other daughter... she's applying to schools and we're going on several visits during the next month. She has no clue what she wants to do.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #307
Ksyrup

My younger daughter has been accepted into 6 schools so far, all close to home. Three public universities, 3 private schools. I think she'll pick one of the public schools unless something happens with basketball (or possibly softball). She's trying to keep options open for either avenue but I think she's coming to grips with the idea that she's probably done with playing sports after this year.

Pilotman, we toured EKU today and one of the student tour guides was a big dude (looked 6'5") from Alaska named Charlie (I think) who was a senior in Aviation. He wasn't our guide so I didn't get to talk to him but I figure your son might know him.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #308
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My younger daughter has been accepted into 6 schools so far, all close to home. Three public universities, 3 private schools. I think she'll pick one of the public schools unless something happens with basketball (or possibly softball). She's trying to keep options open for either avenue but I think she's coming to grips with the idea that she's probably done with playing sports after this year.

Pilotman, we toured EKU today and one of the student tour guides was a big dude (looked 6'5") from Alaska named Charlie (I think) who was a senior in Aviation. He wasn't our guide so I didn't get to talk to him but I figure your son might know him.

Yeah, he knows him for sure. They have acting class together. They get along good.

Like Steam?

Old 11-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #309
GrantDawg

Nice, Ksyrup. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #310
GrantDawg

Btw, my son ran into Weird AL again on Family Weekend. His daughter is definitely going to school with him.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-05-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #311
GrantDawg

My daughter officially is now engaged. 9 years in the making.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-07-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #312
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
My daughter officially is now engaged. 9 years in the making.

Congrats to the happy couple and the rest of both families!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #313
tarcone
Coordinator

Visited my daughter today as it is her birthday. She is incredibly stressed. Missouri S and T is intense and she is going into Aerospace Engineering. She joined a sorority and is playing Intramurals and is in clubs. At this school the sophomore year is extremely tough. She is dropping the Sat research team thankfully as that is a senior activity anyway.

Happy we went and helped her off the cliff.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #314
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just came back from a long road trip to drop off my oldest kid for college. Feeling bummed.

I look forward to seeing how he grows in this next phase of his life but driving back I was reminiscing about this-and-that about his childhood and came to realize ...

Our family will never be the same again ... we will never be that family again. Sure he'll be back for the holidays and during summer, but it'll never be that 24x7 365 days a year.

Kid has gotten an apartment and will be starting new job in Dec. It's a 12+ hour driving distance so this means we'll be empty nesters a second time around. It's been nice having him around for the past 3 months while he was looking for a job. Daughter is a sophomore in a local college so that'll help.

I wish he had a job closer by like < 3 hours or so but this is a good opportunity for him and will set him up well if/when he decides to jump to next job. Unlike my quote above, this time around he won't be back during summers and maybe 1-2 times a year for holidays.

Next phase of life with kids.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #315
Ksyrup

My older daughter asked/informed us about getting an apartment with her boyfriend starting next summer. We are cool with it. I mean, she'd be almost 23 by then anyway, so it's not like we can stop her, but I'm glad she told us and basically asked permission before doing it. Hopefully by then both will have full-time jobs and we can wean her off of our finances (which I plan to start in January if she gets the teaching job it looks like she's going to get once she graduates and officially gets her teaching certificate).
Old 11-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #316
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just bought my son his main Christmas gift. He's going to the first ever Disc Golf Con in Vegas in February. Alone. He's 18. We told him he would need to use his benefits to get out there, and he could choose to go alone, or with someone, including his brother, and various other arrangements. We also gave him the option to decline that gift and we would keep searching, but he was pretty excited and committed and talked with his brother, who also said he'd go along (and pay his own way). So what sort of parent lets their boys travel to Vegas alone at 18 and 19 years of age?

Lol...In all honestly, our kids are super mature, and they know they have freedom, and they also understand expectations. So we're not terribly concerned about it, and we're excited for them too.

Like Steam?

Old 11-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #317
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I just bought my son his main Christmas gift. He's going to the first ever Disc Golf Con in Vegas in February. Alone. He's 18. We told him he would need to use his benefits to get out there, and he could choose to go alone, or with someone, including his brother, and various other arrangements. We also gave him the option to decline that gift and we would keep searching, but he was pretty excited and committed and talked with his brother, who also said he'd go along (and pay his own way). So what sort of parent lets their boys travel to Vegas alone at 18 and 19 years of age?

Lol...In all honestly, our kids are super mature, and they know they have freedom, and they also understand expectations. So we're not terribly concerned about it, and we're excited for them too.
My son is riding down to Nashville with a friend for Christmas break, and then flying home after spending a few days there with his boyfriend. He try to pass it off as "saving money", but I told him "Look. You are 18. It is nice you let us know, but you are an adult now. You don't need our permission. Of course you want to see your boyfriend. We know we are no longer going to get all your free time anymore. It definitely sucks for us, but we understand." It was hard to acknowledge his adulthood, but it also felt good.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #318
Ksyrup

Caitlin graduates from NKU on Saturday. She was offered a 3rd grade position at the school she has been student teaching at, starting in January. They've been so desperate for subs that most of this semester they've been pulling her from her assigned class to sub for other classes and she's really impressed people there, which is awesome. She's gotten paid for 10 days which is cool. Feels like she is on her way to independence and making a relatively smooth transition.

Mackenzie's future is up in the air. She's been accepted to 7 schools and I think narrowed it to 3. One of those would be to play basketball. She's been offered a spot on a local NAIA school's roster and they even gave her a bit of athletic money. She plays for a terrible high school team where she's been the best player the past 2 years, with a game IQ far above anyone else on her team. So she is trying to play at a level no one else is on and it's hurt her game. But when I've taken her to AAU recruiting camps and she plays with better talent, she fits in. She's way more comfortable as a distributor and facilitator, and in high school, she's the best scoring option but she would rather pass. So when she makes what would otherwise be the right play to pass, it's actually the wrong move because the girl she's passed it to usually can't shoot or dribble or sometimes even catch a ball. But a few college coaches see her potential and the local NAIA school is intrigued about her ceiling if she gets into a successful program with talented players around her.

The downside is that she is injury-prone, slightly built, and I don't know that she will be able to handle the physicality in college. In fact, as I write this, she's headed to the ER for an x-ray on her ankle after stepping on another girl's foot in tonight's game. And I'm not sure she has enough confidence or drive to do the things that are necessary to play at that level. I sense that she's leaning toward not playing, but I can't get anything out of her about what she wants to do. She really needs to make a decision by the end of January to start locking in dorm choices, scholarships, etc.

If it's not the NAIA school, I think she'll end up at either EKU or NKU. I told her money is not a deciding factor, so the NAIA would be slightly more, but not enough to decide not to go if she really wants to play ball. Honestly, I'm conflicted over whether I think she can do it. I see the potential for success, but I also see several signs where it's more than likely it won't work out. Tough one. I just want what's best for her, but I don't think she knows what that is, either.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #319
Edward64
Head Coach

We visited daughter and had dinner for her birthday. She just took her last exams, all A's except for one B, enough to keep her Zell scholarship. But she is in no hurry to leave her apt and come back home (about 60 min away with some traffic).

She still has her quirks and all, but I can see how she has matured some. College has been good for her to grow and expand. She is really into her major, lots of practical hands on vs book reading.

She wants to get a tattoo(s). We had previously spoken about this last year and we re-agreed - nothing on face, nothing big that would be exposed with short sleeve, and nothing that she would regret in the future (e.g. I love x-person). Not that we could stop her but good that we kinda compromised.

She is 180 from my son for personality and interests. Funny how that works out.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-16-2021 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #320
GrantDawg

Simon surprised us by flying home last night. His grvandmother's funeral is tomorrow, but so were his last finals. He was able to work it out with his professors to do his last two at home on Friday, and his 10 Japanese interview this morning. My wife just melted into a sobbing puddle.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #321
Edward64
Head Coach

That is fantastic! Great kid
Old 12-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #322
tarcone
Coordinator

Riley is considering what to do about getting her Masters. She is looking into becoming a GA at Missouri St. which would get her free tuition. Or moving home and getting it on line. We are trying to buy a new house that down sizes our mortgage that has a One bed room apartment above the garage. If we get that house, she will move in there. A bonus for everyone.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:50 AM   #323
Edward64
Head Coach

We went to pick up son at the airport last night. It's about an hours drive to and from. Great to see him again after 3 weeks or so.

Peppered him with a bunch of question about work and city. Work campus has nice cafeteria food. His team and leader are nice. In a lot of training right now. Furniture delivery times are far in the future so he's had to compromise on some he normally would not have gotten. Gas is cheaper. Paycheck is monthly. There's a neighbor a couple doors down with 2 small dogs.

Nothing weird. He's just transitioning into his new normal as a working adult living by himself.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #324
GrantDawg

I know that has to make you feel proud, man.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #325
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
My piloty son Zachary as finished his Commercial pilot rating and his Commercial Multi Engine rating this year. He started a job flying as the 2nd pilot on a King Air on some weekends. He's already done a Denver and Martha's Vineyard trip. He really likes it. He's still on track to graduate in a year and a half.

My company is funneling all future prospects into a recruitment program. The entire process puts them through the same interview and screening process that every other job applicant goes through. He still would need to graduate college, fly enough to get his minimum required hours as an instructor or in the King Air, then get hired by a partner airline and work there a minimum of 2 years (more like 2.5 or 3) then he'd be eligible to flow right to the main company. So the whole thing is 3.5-5 years away. But.....

He finally got his invitation to start the process. This weekend he had to take and pass an corporate ethics exam, the personality tests, and the brain problems/knowledge and skills screening. This morning he got the invitation to schedule his interview. I am very happy for him. His interview is scheduled for the middle of December. He's got that to plan and look forward to now. Easy to be a proud dad.

Zach interviewed at my company in Denver on the 14th and he told me yesterday when I finished my trip that he got his acceptance email. I was so excited, and relieved. I couldn't imagine how dealing with him, or how I would have dealt with myself had he not been picked. So what does this mean?

It means that he's got a pathway to my company. Basically, he needs to graduate, get hired as a CFI, teach and keep flying the King Air to build his time to 1000 hours. Then he needs to get hired at a regional airline that partners with mine, and be there for a minimum of another 2000 hours (which should take around 3 years). Once he has fulfilled all those requirements he will be able to flow directly to my airline.

So essentially he has a pathway to a 10M+ plus career as long as he stays motivated, keeps his head on straight, keeps flying safe and doesn't get into trouble or make bad choices. That interview means he doesn't ever need to interview for that job again. It makes me incredibly proud.

My other son, Ean has also been busy. I think I mentioned that he's a very avid disc golfer. He talked his way into his first job working in a local shop, is active in the local groups, has met a bunch of people. He's a film and journalism major and has been editing and producing his own work for years. He started cold messaging the big and popular disc golf channels on You Tube asking about internships and such. He's on track to graduate in three years too. One of the companies said they were looking for someone. They did a zoom interview, he submitted work he's done, and they talked on the phone about long term goals and career direction. The company is either the 2nd or 3rd largest producer of disc golf videos and tournament coverage on the internet. Their videos produce 20-30k views each. He offered Ean an unpaid internship to edit and work on videos while he's in school. Offered to fly him to a couple tournaments over the summer so he could work on shooting and such, and then if they are all still good when he graduates, he'll hire him on full time. Ean was over the moon excited about it.

It's crazy that both boys are doing things they love. They are showing their mettle and their determination and drive and spread their wings. I am over the moon as a parent.

They are also leaving on their own vacation the day after Christmas. They've planned out a trip that takes them away for 10 days, to Charlotte, Hilton Head, Jacksonville, Cocoa Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Nashville. They are playing like 11 different disc golf courses, 3 that are in the top 10 in the United States. They are staying on the beach in Lauderdale over New Years. It's quite a fantastic trip, and one they planned themselves. They had mom and I look over the plans, talked about expenses and logistics, how to pack and get the best use of the car, which hotels to stay in and on and on. So they are taking this huge step while they are young, they've saved for it, and they are ready. It'll be a nice precursor to the trip to Vegas in February for them.

Man, that's a lot to update, but it feels like all of it is pretty big news.

Like Steam?

Old 12-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #326
GrantDawg

Fantastic, Pilotman! This board produces some pretty cool protege.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #327
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

They are also leaving on their own vacation the day after Christmas. They've planned out a trip that takes them away for 10 days, to Charlotte, Hilton Head, Jacksonville, Cocoa Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa and Nashville. They are playing like 11 different disc golf courses, 3 that are in the top 10 in the United States. They are staying on the beach in Lauderdale over New Years. It's quite a fantastic trip, and one they planned themselves. They had mom and I look over the plans, talked about expenses and logistics, how to pack and get the best use of the car, which hotels to stay in and on and on. So they are taking this huge step while they are young, they've saved for it, and they are ready. It'll be a nice precursor to the trip to Vegas in February for them.

So they left at 3am, drove to Charlotte, played 2 top tier disc golf courses and checked into the hotel. Day one in the books according to plan,l and they were gassed out. Parent PM was very conflicted today. I know they are doing this, that they've planned it to the nines, and that they are both really looking forward to it. It's something they absolutely can do, but it's really hard knowing they are gone for a bit.

The real sad part was my oldest though. He planned and made sure he had 10 days off from work around and after Christmas. He did it because he figured both brothers would be off, home and we'd all hang out, play games and do fun stuff. He didn't know they were leaving. He was pretty bummed out. He gets lost in his world and doesn't get out of it very often. Makes me sad just thinking about it. It's gonna be a long 10 days and it's a real, real look at our future when they are both living their lives and our oldest is home with just the two of us.

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #328
Edward64
Head Coach

Daughter took back our old 10+ year old Wii system after Christmas to give to a friend who wanted it. Daughter lives off campus and shares apartment with 3 other girls.

That friend hasn't come by to pick it up yet. She was telling us about how her roommates, in the meantime, were playing the old Wii games a lot.

Wife and I were saying the roomies probably all grew up playing the Wii and they've got an opportunity to play it again now as college kids.

Also, we were wondering why the roomies weren't home with their families over the Christmas break. We assume same reason why our daughter prefers the apartment vs home with us ... feeling of independence and own space.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:30 AM   #329
Ksyrup

Well, Mackenzie finally made a decision on school, which she announced during senior night at Monday's basketball game. She's decided to give up sports and go to EKU. I think it was the right decision. I don't think she would have made it 4 years (either physically or mentally) playing basketball at the college level. Had a couple of other basketball parents we've known for a long time jokingly tell her she read off the wrong paper. I think a lot of people were surprised, but she got it right. She still has softball season to go, but basketball will end by the last week of February.

So now starts the 6 month process of coping with becoming empty-nesters. I'm kinda looking forward to it, actually. I've got one that just started a job and gradually coming off payroll, and another starting college 45 minutes away. The wife and I booked a week in New Mexico in September - not during fall break, just a regular week during the school year! That felt amazing, after years of only being able to take vacations for sports or not being able to go anywhere except during the times every other family with kids went as well.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:35 AM   #330
GrantDawg

Congrats. Ksyrup!
Old 02-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #331
Flasch186
Coordinator

My son just turned twelve and I’m already feeling melancholy about him leaving and then the girls are only 5 or so years behind him.

My point in saying this is that I’m scared to come into this thread. I don’t know how I’m going to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #332
Ksyrup

I'm sure everyone has their own way of dealing with it, but I think you'll see the natural growth of your kids as their own people (then adults) and realize it's time. It will still be sad, but neither of my kids would do good being in our house 24/7. Hell, Mackenzie is barely home most nights between basketball, her BF and hanging out with friends at other sporting events.

I'd say of all the things that happened as they grew up, getting a drivers license changed both kids the most. I think they both had that realization of what freedom really looks like. After that, both of them became way more independent.

I'm also ready for another stage in life. It's one of the reasons I insisted we not have a third kid (the primary reason being, as my parents always said, getting a table for 4 is much easier than a table for 5). We had Caitlin at 28 and had issues conceiving (I'm sure I posted about it nearly 20 DAMN YEARS AGO ON THIS BOARD!) which delayed Mackenzie's birth for 4.5 years. We had originally tried for 2 years apart. Having the second kid at 33, I was just dead-set against being a full-time parent well into my 50s.

So, now that I'm here, I'm pretty content with letting both kids go become their own people.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
My son just turned twelve and I’m already feeling melancholy about him leaving and then the girls are only 5 or so years behind him.

My point in saying this is that I’m scared to come into this thread. I don’t know how I’m going to do it.

The same way you got through first day of school, first overnight trip away, and all those other separation milestones. It's brutal afaic, but somehow you do it.

(I spent the first month of his undergrad looking at the student union food menus, despite knowing full well he wasn't eating there much)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #334
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I need a support group for kids who are taking a gap year before graduate school and are high maintenance.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #335
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

You're in as good of place as any. Son goes off and you still have daughters to help with transition for 5 years. We had 2 years between son and daughter, and that helped.

Your kids are prob too young right now but ... when age appropriate, start the habit of texting each other in a family group chat on WhatsApp, Messenger etc. Son is working out of state (and daughter in college) but we still text, send interesting pics, memes etc. each other with whatever and that keeps us connected. In retrospect, my shared dorm phone and snail mail wasn't that great to keep the family connected.

Another mitigation action is to start talking to kids about in-state colleges and working in the state. We basically told our kids to go to college where ever and work where ever. I'm not sure that wasn't a mistake, it would help if the kids were in 2-3 hours driving distance.

FWIW, I started this thread when my son left for college. It has gotten better and I'm sure it will for you too. Hang in there.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #336
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I need a support group for kids who are taking a gap year before graduate school and are high maintenance.

We discussed with son about taking a gap year before going to grad school (he ultimately decided on no grad school). Told him to go see the world (on the cheap via backpacking & hostels), go work on a cruise line, get into a cooking program etc. but he wasn't allowed to stay at home and do nothing.

What is your kid thinking about doing?
Old 02-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #337
PilotMan
Head Coach

About 5 years ago one of the birthday gifts we bought our middle son (the piloty one) was a trip to the Cincinnati Car show. Both he and his younger brother are big car guys. Well the car show became a regular thing, and we went again this year. The same weekend we had a major icestorm in Cincy. So between the ice, and covid, it was a much smaller show than it had been. But one of the things there was a BMW giveaway for a free trip to do the BMW Performance Driving Course in Indy. Both boys jumped and registered. Well...turns out that Zachary (middle one) won! He and his brother will be going for a 2 day trip (plus hotel and travel expenses), driving BMW M4's at the ages of 20 and 18 on tracks at Indy Motor Speedway. It's incredible and I am excited for them, and I know it's going to be a great weekend for them. I can't even imagine. I would have killed for that chance. It's the very best gift they could have gotten.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-09-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #338
tarcone
Coordinator

This thread has gotten really fun. Ksyrup, Im with you. I love the new chapter that is an empty nest. Im so happy I raised excellent young ladies that can live obn their own with few difficulties. I love that I can take my older daughter to a bar and enjoy drinks with her and talk.

And that weekend in Indy sounds AMAZING! I'd do anything at this age to do that, let alone at 18 or 20.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #339
Ksyrup

For those of you who are already empty-nesters, did you feel compelled to find something new to do with your time? Hobbies, etc.? We're still 6 months from our youngest heading off to college, but already I'm expecting plenty of down time compared to what we're used to and thinking about how to fill that space.

I've been running 100+ miles a month and ran a half-marathon in November, so I definitely expect to keep that going, maybe make races a more regular activity. In addition, I want to pick up playing piano again. I played when I was a kid but basically quit a couple years into college since I didn't have access to a piano anymore. My parents shipped our old piano to us several years ago but I just haven't spent more than a few minutes messing around with it. The other thing I've thought about doing is getting back into tennis. I played in an adult league one summer probably 12-15 years ago but gave it up (along with an adult soccer league I did for several years) once the girls got heavily into sports. Traveling with Caitlin for softball was basically an 8-10 months-a-year deal for about 14 years, including college.

The last thing I want to do is get into the habit of sitting on the couch watching Wheel of Fortune every night and not being as active (either physically or mentally) as I should be in my early 50s and going forward.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #340
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've been reading a lot more. Which is great for the mind, but unfortunately not very active. I might try to get up off the couch more once it gets warm -- I have been missing jogging lately, and wouldn't mind catching up on some podcasts while doing it.

I've cut out video games and a lot of TV watching, though I do still try to keep up with Jeopardy! and have been taping more movies. The latter has a trivia angle, of course.

(We are not quite empty nesters now that our youngest is backing out of college, but they spend most of the time to themselves anyway.)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #341
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For those of you who are already empty-nesters, did you feel compelled to find something new to do with your time?

Not in the slightest.

I put the time toward things I already know I enjoy
Old 02-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #342
Ksyrup

Well, sure, for me that would be running, for instance.

But I guess I feel like so much of my time has been taken up with my kids that I will inevitably have time for other things. Frankly, outside of avid music listening and playing video games, there really isn't anything that I've done for myself that I could say, "Now's the time I can start spending a bunch more time doing X." It's stuff I figure I can start adding to my life because I've pretty much ignored those kinds of things while raising a family.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #343
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, sure, for me that would be running, for instance.

But I guess I feel like so much of my time has been taken up with my kids that I will inevitably have time for other things. Frankly, outside of avid music listening and playing video games, there really isn't anything that I've done for myself that I could say, "Now's the time I can start spending a bunch more time doing X." It's stuff I figure I can start adding to my life because I've pretty much ignored those kinds of things while raising a family.

All a matter of how you look at stuff I suppose.

Mine left when I was, what, 49? 50? By this point I don't figure I'm going to have much in the way of great revelations about stuff I enjoy that I had no idea I'd enjoy. That leaves maximizing time with things I enjoy.

{shrug} A matter of outlook and expectations I suppose.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #344
Ksyrup

For me, it's more things I know I enjoy but have spent <1% of my life in the past 20+ years being able to do. Not necessarily, say, taking up woodworking on the off-chance I'd really love it (I wouldn't, and even if I did, I'd suck at it - probably lose at least one digit).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-17-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #345
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My kids leaving home will probably coincide with my retirement (well, when they finish college), so it's probably going to be a pretty sharp change. I'm looking forward to it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:49 AM   #346
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
For those of you who are already empty-nesters, did you feel compelled to find something new to do with your time? Hobbies, etc.? We're still 6 months from our youngest heading off to college, but already I'm expecting plenty of down time compared to what we're used to and thinking about how to fill that space.

No, not really. Still doing the same stuff pretty much. Work, eat, play, watch TV.

Retirement will bring more changes because I won't have to work anymore and that will free up a lot of time. But I'm not thinking about exercise, reading more etc. I'm thinking about global backpacking/travel (at least for first 2 years or so) and experience new cultures, food etc.

The "emptiness" in the house will definitely get to you. You'll know something is missing. But it does go away/lessen as you transition to a new normal.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #347
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
For those of you who are already empty-nesters, did you feel compelled to find something new to do with your time?

I'm not there yet, but I had a co-worker who handled it by doing the things he was into at a deeper level. Like he is very into jazz/blues. So he found the local college radio station that did a lot of jazz/blues and basically said "hey, you guys need anything, I've got time to volunteer." And he used that in to become part of the local jazz/blues scene.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #348
tarcone
Coordinator

Riley graduates in May. She has decided to take a semester off and move home then get her Masters in Social Work online.

On another note about Riley, she has been dating a boy she went to HS with for a couple months, she always liked him in HS, but they never dated. Riley tells us that this boy told her He loved her. That shook Riley and she said nothing in response. The boy said something like "Well? No comment?" and Riley dais "Thank you." Kids are growing up.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #349
GrantDawg

"I love you", "Thank you". Ouch.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:09 PM   #350
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"I love you", "Thank you". Ouch.

Yeah, but they are only 21, and Riley will be a tough nut to crack. They say the first daughter is like the Dad. She aint getting married for awhile.