Old 02-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Davis looks about as mobile as Kareem
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #104
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe the best thing you can say about LeBron is that when he was a junior (maybe even sophomore?) in high school, people were saying that he had all-time potential.

And he somehow lived up to it.

The mental stress of having the weight of great expectations on you from the age when most kids are worried about passing their driver's license test is significant.

And he did it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:42 AM   #105
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's one thing Jordan never had to do. For sure. You're spot on. Lebron is an amazing story.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:27 AM   #106
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anthony Davis looks about as mobile as Kareem

I know it is low hanging fruit, but I enjoyed this one from Simmons:

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not bad for the Next Ricky Davis

Phew, I didn't say anything stupid in that thread

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's nice to see him do this on a monster game.

Lol - this game between two teams that wouldn't even be in for the expanded playoffs, with the Lakers losing at home didn't do anything for you?

SI

Old 02-08-2023, 09:32 AM   #109
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Maybe the best thing you can say about LeBron is that when he was a junior (maybe even sophomore?) in high school, people were saying that he had all-time potential.

The mental stress of having the weight of great expectations on you from the age when most kids are worried about passing their driver's license test is significant.

And he did it.

It's hard to fully appreciate this in real time.

SI

Old 02-08-2023, 09:38 AM   #110
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Also a pretty nice "I'm at this game" humblebrag. Simmons was always a master of those.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hadn’t watched the Thunder in a long time, especially because Shai Gilgeous Alexander is always hurt *coughtankcough* but that dude is def Hardenesque and that’s not a compliment.

Last edited by stevew : 02-08-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #112
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So weird that 31 year old Tristan Thompson is apparently on the media stage of his timeline. Bigs who can kind of play typically go into their mid to late 30s.

Can Tristan Thompson kind of play in 2023? I mean if a contender brings in him, what is it that he is providing a team at this stage?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:45 PM   #113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tall and rebounding and playoff experience typically gets you a job.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:05 PM   #114
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Not bad for the Next Ricky Davis

I thought last night would be a good time to go back and see what dumb stuff has been written about Lebron on here, but I didn't have the energy.

FWIW I know I compared Steph Curry to Juan Dixon coming out of college. We all have our hot takes and it's fun to look back at them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #115
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

And he did it.

Not to mention his biggest controversy was probably taking his talents to South Beach.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #116
miami_fan
Coordinator

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Lakers agree to deal for D'Angelo Russell in 3-team trade

The trade in and of itself is whatever. The Lakers, the Jazz nor the T-Wolves are not winning the title. None of that matters. The important part is that Russell Westbrook is now on the Utah Jazz. Context below.

Unfortunately, it sounds like cooler heads will prevail and the Jazz will buy Westbrook out. If we could just get one or two home games before the buyout.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-08-2023, 09:36 PM   #117
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
OMG! OMG! OMG!

Lakers agree to deal for D'Angelo Russell in 3-team trade

The trade in and of itself is whatever. The Lakers, the Jazz nor the T-Wolves are not winning the title. None of that matters. The important part is that Russell Westbrook is now on the Utah Jazz. Context below.

Unfortunately, it sounds like cooler heads will prevail and the Jazz will buy Westbrook out. If we could just get one or two home games before the buyout.

I'm not as up on the NBA as I used to be but, as a Laker fan, it's much more than "meh". No, they're not winning the title but just getting past what they had and getting some players that can at least make an attempt to fit is a good thing. Between this and the addition of Hachimura they're certainly better than they were and maybe(?) worth watching. Or maybe having the Russ nightmare come to an end has colored my expectations

I wonder when the Jazz buy out Russ if LeBron will ask the front office to resign him?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:28 AM   #118
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Suns all in on Durant.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:22 AM   #119
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is how you introduce yourself to your fellow NBA governor, Mat Ishbia.

Suns get: Forwards Kevin Durant and T.J. Warren

Nets get: Forwards Cameron Johnson, Mikal Bridges, Jae Crowder, four first-round picks, 2028 pick swap
Old 02-09-2023, 06:12 AM   #120
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

As a life long Nets fan I am good with it. Never felt good about the Nets big 3. They are all mental midgets. Even with KD they aren't beating Boston, Philly, or Mil so blow it up. They have a lot of assets in the near future.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:29 AM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 02-09-2023, 08:00 AM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t think Durant is going to be healthy enough to justify the high cost. Pretty sure Bridges has never missed a game. If he has, it was because of this trade.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest Durant will play less than 200 total games, including playoffs, for the Suns over the next 3+ years. He’s never available.

Last edited by stevew : 02-09-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

This is fake btw
Old 02-09-2023, 10:14 AM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate Twitter
Old 02-09-2023, 10:19 AM   #125
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

He circled back and patted himself on the back for this tweet in his podcast too btw.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I don’t think Durant is going to be healthy enough to justify the high cost. Pretty sure Bridges has never missed a game. If he has, it was because of this trade.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest Durant will play less than 200 total games, including playoffs, for the Suns over the next 3+ years. He’s never available.

I am not sure it is true today but historically the Suns have been credited with having an amazing training staff when it comes to injury prevention.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #127
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Is someone in the Nets organization a sports text sim fan who is attempting to accumulate the most draft picks ever? Assuming it's not a fake, my daughter just sent me something saying they got 5 2nd round picks for Jae Crowder from the Bucks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure I understand the Lakers trading Thomas Bryant. I get that he’s likely to get a bigger contract than they can afford in the off-season but dude really has looked good at times.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:57 AM   #129
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Is someone in the Nets organization a sports text sim fan who is attempting to accumulate the most draft picks ever? Assuming it's not a fake, my daughter just sent me something saying they got 5 2nd round picks for Jae Crowder from the Bucks.

They'll have to catch the Jazz and their 15 first round picks between now and 2029.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #130
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure I understand the Lakers trading Thomas Bryant. I get that he’s likely to get a bigger contract than they can afford in the off-season but dude really has looked good at times.

He fell into the not a ton of talent but plays hard category I mentioned above. The Lakers dont exactly have many guys that play hard.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:03 PM   #131
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
The Hawks just gave up 5 second round picks for Saddiq Bey. It seems to be all the rage.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:09 PM   #132
Ksyrup

And Wiseman to Pistons, Warriors get the 5 picks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-09-2023, 01:22 PM   #133
GrantDawg

Somebody on Twitter asked "why five picks?"
Old 02-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #134
GrantDawg

Quote:
And Wiseman to Pistons, Warriors get the 5 picks.
Actually it now looks the Wiseman deal is a three team trade involving the Hawks and Bey. So that is probably the same 5 picks.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:25 PM   #135
Ksyrup

Right, Hawks picks go to the Warriors.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:27 PM   #136
GrantDawg

Like it is happening, but it is not complete.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Payton back to the Warriors.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:06 PM   #138
Ksyrup

Must be for the 5 2nd rounders from the Wiseman deal?
Old 02-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #139
bronconick
College Starter

Another 5 years of ignoring the Pistons again. Having $25 million tied up in 2 mediocre back up centers in 2023-24 when 19 year old Duran is already better than either is idiocy.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:31 PM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cam Thomas fined $40K for anti-gay remark during interview

Stupid move but probably no malicious intent. 40K is pretty hefty. Probably won't make that mistake again
Old 02-10-2023, 08:06 PM   #141
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

16 Made threes in the first half vs 15 attempted two pointers for the Celtics. Yeesh. 0_o
Old 02-10-2023, 09:08 PM   #142
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

How long until it is a fineable offense to take a 2-point shot which is not an uncontested dunk?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #143
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Three point contest is so much better than the dunk contest.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:44 PM   #144
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

My thing about the Dunk Contest is that my memory of the best dunks (Jordan from the foul line etcetera), is the elegance of them. They defied gravity.

Now, the dunks are like explosions. violent and somewhat scary to a point. Just nothing but power. Edit: I think it's also because a lot of the earlier dunk contests were scorers who could dunk. Now, they're specialized dunkers.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-18-2023 at 10:51 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:26 AM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who older?
Mac McClung or Luka Doncic?

I do love that they keep giving him a chance though. Hopefully kid sticks eventually.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:59 AM   #146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
My thing about the Dunk Contest is that my memory of the best dunks (Jordan from the foul line etcetera), is the elegance of them. They defied gravity.

Now, the dunks are like explosions. violent and somewhat scary to a point. Just nothing but power. Edit: I think it's also because a lot of the earlier dunk contests were scorers who could dunk. Now, they're specialized dunkers.

This is actually a great point. The contrast between the elegance of Jordan and the power of a guy like Dominique Wilkins added to the event. Outside of that contrast, the only other appeal of the power dunk is if it results in the posterizing of a defender trying to block it at the rim.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:02 PM   #147
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Who older?
Mac McClung or Luka Doncic?

I do love that they keep giving him a chance though. Hopefully kid sticks eventually.
Been debating this elsewhere... G-League defense is G-League defense, but he put up 21/5/6 a game and won rookie of the year last year, shooting made a jump this year and he's 40% from 3/74% TS. I'd bet on him sticking at some point, though a jump to a team like Philly now would probably be too much.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:39 PM   #148
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This game ever gonna start?
Old 03-04-2023, 11:09 AM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They need to hit the Grizzlies and Ja with a fine and/or suspension for lack of institutional control.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #150
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
They need to hit the Grizzlies and Ja with a fine and/or suspension for lack of institutional control.

They quickly went from a good story to the easiest team to hate by a wide margin.