Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #301
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I would consider wanting to rewrite RL Stine and Roald Dahl books as examples of wokeism being out of control.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hey, I don't claim to fully understand what is going over the pond. I hear of lot of things from the Republican's I find pretty awful. Gay rights, women not having the right to control their own bodies, gun narrow mindedness.

On the flip side I hear about wokism getting out of control. Biological men being allowed to compete in sport again biological females. Political correctness is no longer in the real world.

For me I am not going to spend my life arguing with a stranger on Twitter. I can understand you are in an emotional spot. But from my experience people seldom change their opinions if they are hard right or left. They just die and a new generation comes through with fresh outlooks.

It seems pretty obvious to me the current left versus right war in the U.S. will have no winner. It has gone too far now. Life long resentment on the cards IMO.

First off. Wokism is really just code for "people or things I don't like or agree with" I have yet to see anyone define it, which is why it is also a powerful tool. When a politician like DeSantis uses it to one person it is anti-black, to another anti-trans, to another anti gay. The one thing we do know about it is that it is anti inclusion, and I fail to see how that is a good thing.

As far as your "both sides do it" argument, as other have mentioned aren't comparable. Does the left do some stupid shit, absolutely, but they aren't taking away anyone's rights or putting anyone at risk. They are advocating to include everyone and let people live their lives.

Contrast that to the right. They are working on literally stripping more than half the population of their reproductive rights. They are actively trying to suppress young people and blacks from voting while trying to destroy the faith in our elections. Not only are they fighting against gun control, they are actually making it easier to obtain guns and carry them anywhere you want.

This doesn't even touch the culture war BS. Members of the LGBTQ community are being targeted as groomers and pedophiles. One of the faces of the party literally called Biden on on 60 minutes, then doubled down about it on twitter. They are destroying education by removing book, trying to rewrite history about slavery, etc...

You just CAN NOT compare the two. One is a party by and large of inclusion, the other is the party of emasculated middle age white men terrified they are losing their country.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:17 PM   #303
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I would consider wanting to rewrite RL Stine and Roald Dahl books as examples of wokeism being out of control.

and whose life does this effect? Tell me how it has one tangible effect on anyones life?

That is the problem with statements like this. God forbid Bud Lite puts a fucking rainbow on a beer can and upsets Cletus and his fragile masculinity.

You wanna argue putting a trans athlete on a swim team gives her a competitive advantage, go for it, but so much of this "wokeism" shit is just rooted in hatred for people who you don't like or can't understand.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #304
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
and whose life does this effect? Tell me how it has one tangible effect on anyones life?

It must affect someone or else people wouldn't be trying to do it now would they?
Old 04-05-2023, 01:24 PM   #305
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It must affect someone or else people wouldn't be trying to do it now would they?

yeah, because they are trying to put positivity into the world.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #306
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is that what they're trying to do?
Old 04-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Is that what they're trying to do?

as opposed to?

And to be clear. I have no idea what your particular example even discusses. I am talking about this on a much broader level.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:36 PM   #308
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
as opposed to?

And to be clear. I have no idea what your particular example even discusses. I am talking about this on a much broader level.

I just googled it because I had no idea. It looks like it was big news in conservative media last month.

Here's the Goosebumbs info at least"

According to the report, the novels have undergone more than 100 edits. Those edits include references to a character being "cheerful" rather than "plump", changing "crazy" to "silly", and completely removing references to villains making victims "slaves.

The report also lists some examples from specific titles. Notably, the reissue of 1998's Bride of the Living Dummy changes the ventriloquist dummy from knocking a girl unconscious using a "love tap" to a magic spell instead while the 1996 book Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns changes the description of one character, Lee, from being like "the rappers on MTV videos" to "tall and good-looking, with brown skin, dark brown eyes and a great, warm smile. He sort of struts when he walks and acts real cool."
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #309
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm in general very liberal, but I do think things have gone too far with cancel culture and students on college campuses trying to restrict speech/remove the right to speak from conservative voices. I understand cancelling repeat offenders like Trump who says and does inflammatory things all the time. I personally won't see any movie Mel Gibson has any part in because he has proven what a POS he is. But students trying to get professors fired for even mentioning conservative ideas is too much. Colleges should be a place for exploring ideas from across the spectrum, including ideas that you might find offensive. At some point, we need to come out of our ideological silos and discuss the merits of ideas from people who we aren't always in lockstep with. So in that sense, I understand the backlash again "wokism" to some degree. But the term obviously gets over-applied by red state folks like DeSantis and Trump.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:48 PM   #310
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I just googled it because I had no idea. It looks like it was big news in conservative media last month.

Here's the Goosebumbs info at least"

According to the report, the novels have undergone more than 100 edits. Those edits include references to a character being "cheerful" rather than "plump", changing "crazy" to "silly", and completely removing references to villains making victims "slaves.

The report also lists some examples from specific titles. Notably, the reissue of 1998's Bride of the Living Dummy changes the ventriloquist dummy from knocking a girl unconscious using a "love tap" to a magic spell instead while the 1996 book Attack of the Jack-O'-Lanterns changes the description of one character, Lee, from being like "the rappers on MTV videos" to "tall and good-looking, with brown skin, dark brown eyes and a great, warm smile. He sort of struts when he walks and acts real cool."

Illustrates perfectly what I’m talking about. Do those changes need to be made? Likely not except maybe punching out a women, but this changes also have zero affect on anyone like say, I don’t know, putting laws in place that require hospitals to put death panels in place for an ectopic pregnancy.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #311
HerRealName
College Prospect

The Goosebumps stuff is silly but it's just capitalism.

The backlash against "wokeism" is the same backlash following Reconstruction and Civil Rights. It's the same backlash anytime people conservatives hate (non-white people, LGBTQ) earn something resembling more equal rights. It was entirely predictable following the summer of 2020. If only there was a field of study that would have predicted this... oh yeah, red states turned CRT into a boogeyman too.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #312
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Something I would consider to be "woke" is that math is racist. I hate the word woke, and it's definitely been weaponized by the right, but here's some quotes from an article that screams wokeness to me regarding the "math is racist" topic.

The statement, signed by To and the executive of the OMCA, goes on to say that their issue is not with a math fact, “but rather how a math fact along with its inherent social privilege of objectivity can be taken and weaponized to uphold bigotry and white supremacy ideology.”

In one tweet, Theijsmeijer pointed her followers to commentary by Laurie Rubel, an associate professor of mathematics education, explaining that proponents of “2 + 2 = 4” are grounded “in white, Western mathematics that marginalizes other possible values.”

HRP’s goals include ending “dehumanizing practices” such as “grading” and “radically reduc[ing] homework.” Members of the group strive to entrench social justice as a “cornerstone to educational success” while demanding “anti-racist, inclusive spaces” and adopting “critical pedagogy.”
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:18 PM   #313
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The statement, signed by To and the executive of the OMCA, goes on to say that their issue is not with a math fact, “but rather how a math fact along with its inherent social privilege of objectivity can be taken and weaponized to uphold bigotry and white supremacy ideology.”

Who? I mean this is part of it -- yes, both sides have crazy. One side's crazy has a BIT more power and visibility than the other side's, I'd say. (Outside of Fox going searching for crackpots to paint them as representative of the entire left.)

Kodos -- I know college kids get a little wacky at times too, and shout down visiting guests on occasion (who very often IMO are invited by groups hoping they are going to be shouted down -- lets be real, YRs know how to troll) but are they actually getting anyone fired? As opposed to the other way around?
Old 04-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #314
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Something I would consider to be "woke" is that math is racist. I hate the word woke, and it's definitely been weaponized by the right, but here's some quotes from an article that screams wokeness to me regarding the "math is racist" topic.

In one tweet, Theijsmeijer pointed her followers to commentary by Laurie Rubel, an associate professor of mathematics education, explaining that proponents of “2 + 2 = 4” are grounded “in white, Western mathematics that marginalizes other possible values.”

HRP’s goals include ending “dehumanizing practices” such as “grading” and “radically reduc[ing] homework.” Members of the group strive to entrench social justice as a “cornerstone to educational success” while demanding “anti-racist, inclusive spaces” and adopting “critical pedagogy.”
But things like that are and extreme minority opinion. Sometimes those opinions gain traction and actually make good changes, but most of the time they go nowhere and are basically scuffed at. The problem is we way too often take those extreme minority opinions, and paint a whole side of a political spectrum with it. Both sides definitely do it, but the Right has made it almost a fine art.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #315
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm in general very liberal, but I do think things have gone too far with cancel culture and students on college campuses trying to restrict speech/remove the right to speak from conservative voices. I understand cancelling repeat offenders like Trump who says and does inflammatory things all the time. I personally won't see any movie Mel Gibson has any part in because he has proven what a POS he is. But students trying to get professors fired for even mentioning conservative ideas is too much. Colleges should be a place for exploring ideas from across the spectrum, including ideas that you might find offensive. At some point, we need to come out of our ideological silos and discuss the merits of ideas from people who we aren't always in lockstep with. So in that sense, I understand the backlash again "wokism" to some degree. But the term obviously gets over-applied by red state folks like DeSantis and Trump.
With that I agree.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #316
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

A conservative speaker canceled an upcoming talk at Furman University because the students were organizing a silent protest. She said it happened to a prior conservative speaker there. Nothing bad happened, they just silently protested. She cancelled because she didn't feel safe. She almost certainly boosted her profile because she canceled as opposed to actually going through with the speech.

These people are unserious and don't actually give a fuck about whatever "woke" may be. They just want money and power and see marginalized people as easy stepping stones so they use them as boogeymen to get the paying public to waste their money on them.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #317
Hammer
College Prospect

I think spending a lot of time in echo chambers with like minded people will hinder folk in seeing the world for what it is. You will likely end up going round and round in circles reinforcing the wrongs of the opposing side. Minimising any alleged flaws in your own party line.

When you look at your own views and you agree with everything team A says, and disagree with everything team B says something is up. You are not thinking for yourself.

It is comfortable to join a polotical team. It's almost like supporting a sports team. Thoughtless brain dead support. The later is harmless, in politics pretty destructive IMO. But let's be honest, it is pretty weak. Jumping on a team with no room for even the slightest bit of empathy for the other viewpoint is what is killing America right now IMO. I dread to think how bad it gets in 2024. No answers for how this gets solved. Maybe the slight chance the narrative unfolds that those hard left and right individuals are in reality brainwashed cucks who have been sold a story.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:36 AM   #318
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

That is not what Laurie Rubel claims at all. She's making the point that people use the "2+2=4" argument for other disciplines, that the fact there is a finite value or answer in math means there is a finite value or answer in other aspects of life and that the phrasing is often used by racists and/or people who protest attempts to make math education more inclusive. She is not at all suggesting there should be other values for the equation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:26 PM   #319
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

100% and in reality, those that take wokism to these levels are really doing nothing more than applying the principles of McCarthyism to modern day politics to censor and silence those that don't agree with them, or those that threaten them. It was wrong and dangerous by the right then, it's wrong and dangerous by the left now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:56 AM   #320
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Twitter Inc Is Officially Defunct As Elon Musk Pursues 'Superapp' Goal

I can see what he is going for here. It would be nice to have one app that could meet all your social media needs.

Personally I'm waiting for an app that puts all my gaming apps in one place. Wouldn't it be nice only to run one program instead of having to run Steam, Epicstore, GOG, Origin, Amazon, etc...? Perhaps even view my unused HumbleBundle keys as well.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-11-2023 at 10:00 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:31 AM   #321
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

NPR quits Twitter after being falsely labeled as 'state-affiliated media' : NPR

NPR left Twitter. Every twitter account they had went silent. Because Musk labelled them as a state-affiliated organization. Then he changed it to government funded. In npr's eyes neither was appropriate for their credibility and they kinda give up. THe article is good.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:54 AM   #322
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
NPR quits Twitter after being falsely labeled as 'state-affiliated media' : NPR

NPR left Twitter. Every twitter account they had went silent. Because Musk labelled them as a state-affiliated organization. Then he changed it to government funded. In npr's eyes neither was appropriate for their credibility and they kinda give up. THe article is good.

In Canada the conservatives are trying to do the same thing with the CBC. They get a billion dollars a year from the government, and they clearly have a left leaning stance.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:57 AM   #323
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

He should probably label the SpaceX and Tesla accounts as a state funded apparatus. Pretty sure a higher percentage of their budgets come from the government than NPR.
Old 04-13-2023, 06:27 AM   #324
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
He should probably label the SpaceX and Tesla accounts as a state funded apparatus. Pretty sure a higher percentage of their budgets come from the government than NPR.
They recieve more from the government for coffee than the entire NPR budget. Government money is only bad when it is not helping line the pockets of billionaires.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #325
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

After complaining about Twitter Blue last week, LeBron ended up signing up for it. Score one for Musk.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:58 PM   #326
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well...maybe.

Remember this is Captain Babypants we're talking here, he would definitely do something childish like that.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
NPR left Twitter. Every twitter account they had went silent. Because Musk labelled them as a state-affiliated organization. Then he changed it to government funded. In npr's eyes neither was appropriate for their credibility and they kinda give up.

NPR just didn't like being identified as the leftwing shills that they are.

If those tax dollars are so unimportant why do they fight and cry and whine so badly whenever there's talk of cutting them off?

Fuck them, and all their horses. Good riddance to bad rubbish afaic.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:24 PM   #328
RainMaker
General Manager

Musk gets more government handouts than NPR probably has in its entire existence.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #329
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Well...maybe.

Remember this is Captain Babypants we're talking here, he would definitely do something childish like that.

That's what he did according to people, including King. Ice-T also has one because he made fun of Twitter Blue a few weeks back.

Will go down as one of the biggest business failures in history.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #330
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Will go down as one of the biggest business failures in history.

Space X says hold my Beer, or at least what didn't explode.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:01 PM   #331
RainMaker
General Manager

SpaceX is mostly playing with government money, not his own personal fortune. They also seem competent in some areas.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:02 PM   #332
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They also seem competent in some areas.

Largely because they get less of Elon's attention than Tesla and Twitter.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:08 AM   #333
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Another Musk project goes kablooey

It's only money
Old 04-21-2023, 12:40 AM   #334
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 04-21-2023, 07:44 AM   #335
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
NPR just didn't like being identified as the leftwing shills that they are.

If those tax dollars are so unimportant why do they fight and cry and whine so badly whenever there's talk of cutting them off?

Fuck them, and all their horses. Good riddance to bad rubbish afaic.

Should we also label most banks, airlines, car manufacturers, sports owners, etc, as state-funded entities?
Old 04-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #336
PilotMan
Head Coach

Most things in American are left wing shills when you're Jon. It was ruined the day he was born.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #337
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Getting clowned on by museums...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #338
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

SpaceX Starship Rocket Launch Debris Smacks Van

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 04-22-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:48 PM   #339
RainMaker
General Manager

He has reached the point where he is giving popular accounts the blue check to troll or make it seem like they are buying it. It's illegal but I'm guessing they fired everyone in legal already.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #340
Flasch186
Coordinator

How is it illegal? It’s privately held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:17 PM   #341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
How is it illegal? It’s privately held

I saw somewhere there is a law that makes it illegal for a company to claim someone endorses their product when the person hasn't given consent to.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #342
Flasch186
Coordinator

Ok

I didn’t equate a blue check to an endorsement but only that they’re verified as the real person although that sends to be undercut by the post to play impersonation

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:36 PM   #343
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Ok

I didn’t equate a blue check to an endorsement but only that they’re verified as the real person although that sends to be undercut by the post to play impersonation

If you click the blue check, it says this person has subscribed to Twitter Blue which is a pay service.

It's the equivalent of sending a copy of FOF to Tom Brady and then proclaiming on the site he's a customer. They are also trying confuse consumers by adding the checkmark specifically to people who have been vocal about not wanting to pay for it.

15 U.S.C. 1125 (Section 43 of the Lanham Act): False designations of origin, false descriptions, and dilution forbidden, Nov. 2015 (BitLaw)

Seems minor and probably no real damages you can prove. And even if you could, they're on a crash course toward bankruptcy so you'll just be in line with all the other creditors.
Old 04-29-2023, 04:12 PM   #344
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I was bored and opened Facebook for the first time in a couple weeks. I know for a fact my family uses it all the time because they always ask if I saw something another family member posted on Facebook.

So I scroll through the feed, the first 15 posts were either sponsored or suggested. It literally took until the 16th post until I saw a post from a friended person. And it wasn't even their most recent post. I clicked on the profile and they had like 5 or 6 posts since then.

WTF is Facebook even doing? Is there hope that I accidently click a sponsored post while scrolling that they get extra ad revenue?
Old 04-29-2023, 08:02 PM   #345
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've noticed the same thing, it's pretty ridiculous. How hard is it to sort the posts by date? I hate seeing the same post from 3 days ago, and meanwhile I'm not seeing current stuff.

With the flood of advertising that we're being fed, it's no wonder that young people have moved on to Instagram or Tik Tok as their primary feeds.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #346
Ksyrup

My wife showed me the same thing the other day. I've been off FB for almost 2 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #347
RainMaker
General Manager

Facebook is a dying platform and I think they're just trying to milk the remaining juice they can out of the remaining members. A lot of older folks who are just not going to take the time to learn new platforms.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:31 PM   #348
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I still use the messenger portion of Facebook quite regularly to talk with a specific group of people, some of whom would be hard pressed to figure out anything else. Thank god they still manage to let you use the Messenger bits entirely untethered to Facebook proper.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #349
Ksyrup

I did the same when we went on a cruise because it was the cheapest/easiest way to communicate with people back home without buying a phone plan to text.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:57 PM   #350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If Elon wants me happier with the service, ban anything related to fuckin K-Pop.

I've got the word muted & blocked but that does no good and makes trending completely worthless half the time as it's overrun by that vapid shit.