Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2023, 05:52 PM   #351
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Totally agree that I expected them to address the DL more. I could see LaPorta also playing and producing a lot immediately, that TE room is relatively empty. They talk like they really value Gibbs as a receiving threat & potentially we could see him pick up some additonal snaps outside of RB.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:24 PM   #352
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I like Brian Branch. I really expected the Falcons to take him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 PM   #353
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Totally agree that I expected them to address the DL more. I could see LaPorta also playing and producing a lot immediately, that TE room is relatively empty. They talk like they really value Gibbs as a receiving threat & potentially we could see him pick up some additonal snaps outside of RB.

So they added a running back who won't do much in the way of power running. And a tight end who is basically just a slightly larger and slightly slower wide receiver, not much of a plus for the running game. Both skilled players, but really just adding options for Goff when he gets the ball out quickly enough.

It sounds like they're going to let opponents get away with not worrying much about getting overpowered. Offenses can work like this, but you need your quarterback to make great decisions quickly.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:39 PM   #354
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just can’t get that Carolina game out of my mind when it comes to the defense.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:12 PM   #355
Bobble
College Prospect

Bo77, the Motor City Football guy, wrote up the Lions picks on reddit here:Bo77 Rounds 1-2

and here: Bo77 Rounds 3-7
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:52 AM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In terms of UDFAs, I really like the signing of Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim. He’s a bowling ball of a player and always falls forward. He could be a really good goal line/short yardage back, which given the loss Jamaal Williams and Campbell’s love of going for it on 4th down could fill a need.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-30-2023, 09:29 AM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In terms of UDFAs, I really like the signing of Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim. He’s a bowling ball of a player and always falls forward. He could be a really good goal line/short yardage back, which given the loss Jamaal Williams and Campbell’s love of going for it on 4th down could fill a need.

Question is, can he stay on the field ( Sidelined by injury for at least one game in four of the past five seasons)
Old 05-04-2023, 03:38 PM   #358
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Couple things.

Jack Campbell seems like hes already wearing Honolulu Blue.
Want NOTHING to do with QB Richardson.

Id like Det to trade down from 6 to 9 with Carolina giving us an extra 3rd rounder (dont care this year or next) and still get one of the top CBs. Panthers can take that QB risk.

Use that 3rd or 4th rounder to take Hooker as a developmental qb

This was from March 3rd.

Aged like wine. If the brass in Detroit want to contact me, Im available
Old 05-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #359
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, misgivings aside… Jack Campbell fir DROY seems solid, yea? Feels like 100 tackles and voters like tackles…
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:21 AM   #360
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I also think that the media wants to jump on the Detroit bandwagon, which helps.

And there does not appear to be a Von Miller/Myles Garrett type this draft who is going to get 10+ sacks as a rookie, which opens the door to Campbell and others.

The only issue is that Detroit already has a good ILB (Rodriguez), who might take tackles away from Campbell.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #361
QuikSand
lolzcat

MGM is paying +1800 on it, I'm in for enough to follow along.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:52 AM   #362
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What's the list for OROY and DROY (if it is easy to cut and paste)?

Having put all of that mental energy into the draft, I feel like I want to get something out of it :-)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:12 PM   #363
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's been a few weeks now since the Draft and the dust has settled...

The day or so before the draft, I started to come down with something. I was pretty congested, not feeling great, but not terrible either. The Friday night of the second and third rounds that took a turn and I came down with a fever. That soon became a full on viral infection and that turned into a bacterial infection with a full week of massive headaches and congestion. This was only the second time I've been sick in over five years.

I mention that, because it feels like a physical manifestation of the Lions post-draft vibes. No team seemed to be riding higher than the Lions coming into the draft. They had that great run at the end of last year, had a very solid free agency period, they retained Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn, and had the promise of a healthy Jameson Williams (more of this later) for the season - a huge potential boost for the offense. Those vibes have taken quite the turn.

It really started with the announcement of the Jameson Williams six game suspension. That led to criticism of his maturity level, stuff he posted to social media and doubts about his long term future began (I think unfairly) to manifest. There was even his desire to get the #1 jersey after Okudah left that was denied, because someone else took it. The vibes around Jameson Williams started to sour.

Then, as we all know, there was the draft - particularly the first round - where the Lions stunned everyone by using their big time draft capital to take Gibbs, a running back, and Jack Campell, an off-ball linebacker, with their top two picks. Both players were seen not only as reaches, but as reaches at non-premium positions. Both NFL Twitter/Hipsters and old school NFL folks largely ripped the Lions for this.

The criticism of the Lions draft seemed to wane a bit after rounds 2 and 3, mainly because they drafted Brian Branch in the middle of the second round.

The criticism now is that the Lions don't know how to properly team build. They made moves that could set them up for 2023, but really don't put them in a great position for long term success. They are talking about extending Jared Goff, who NFL Twitter/Hipsters generally hate and think is the poster boy for a mediocre old-school, stationary NFL QB.

There is the belief that the Lions should have taken their draft capital this year and parlayed that into a high-end QB of the future, because they won't likely be drafting this high again. I am not sure about that. I think it's safe to say that they had no shot at getting Bryce Young, which means they would have had to trade up to 2 or 3 overall to get either Stroud (who seems like a younger, slightly more athletic Goff) or Richardson. I don't think drafting Levis would have been the big swing/improvement people wanted and the Lions managed to get the consensus 4th best QB (Hooker) in the 3rd round. So, I really think this comes down to the Lions not moving up for Richardson.

As exciting and interesting as Richardson is and as a high a ceiling he appears to have, I am just not sure I agree with the criticism here. It would have cost them a lot, wouldn't have really helped the team at all this year, and may have blown up in their face. Then again, it's possible that drafting him would have given this franchise juice the likes of which it hasn't had in the modern era and the notion that the Lions would have given up 6 and 18 (or one of their second rounders) for Richardson a slam dunk.

The Lions are, also, getting heavily criticized for dumping Swift and Williams for Montgomery and Gibbs. Many see this as a lateral move, at best, on the field and a more expensive option off it. I know the Lions see it very differently. They feel like Williams left a ton of yards on the field and Swift did as well. Also, Swift was always hurt.

It will be really interesting to see how this all shakes out. Did Holmes make the right call in drafting Gibbs and Campbell as high as he did? Is LaPorta (who was the unanimous star of the Lions rookie mini-camp last weekend) a much better talent than Mayer and Musgrave? Is Brodic Martn another one of Holmes' gems like James Houston and Malcolm Rodriguez?

The vibes for the Lions aren't great right now. I know it was has nothing to do with it, but when you add in the Wings not moving up in the draft lottery and the Pistons falling to 5th overall, the overall off-season Detroit sports vibes pretty much suck.

I've been in a low-grade panic mode since the first round.

Though, luckily I finally got antibiotics about 10 days ago for my sinus infection and feel great! So, maybe things will turn around.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #364
Bobble
College Prospect

Well articulated, HB. The Williams "incident" seemed like a body-blow to the fanbase. He was a supposed to be a major point of excitement. Then, it was a bit of a double-down on the downers when the follow-on stories around Williams didn't rebound to the positive.

The draft was a polar opposite to last year. Rather than grabbing the media darlings and being lauded, they grab unexpected picks and get ridiculed. It's never a fun feeling when it has to be explained to you why these are actually good picks. I am a little comforted that the consensus seems to be that they were good players, just taken "too early" as if any of the pundits knows what all 32 team's draft boards look like.

Anyway, can't wait to learn that Dan and Brad really ARE the smartest guys in the room and Lions have the first class of 6 co-rookies of the year.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #365
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hopkins, let's do this
Old 05-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #366
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At least he's not a smaller speed guy, in which case I'd laugh at the thought, but a 30-year old receiver coming off a performance-drug suspension?

There's good reason no one wanted the contract. He'll catch on somewhere on a one-year or two-year with obvious cap-switch. However...

Seems like a gamble.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #367
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He seems like a guy who wants to be the undisputed Alpha WR where he goes. I wonder if he'd want to go to a place where he'd have to at least share that with St. Brown.

That said, you don't hire Dan Campbell for Xs and Os. You hire him because he should be able to keep his players focused and eliminate petty locker room BS like that.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #368
Jops
n00b

Interesting point on the RB's, I never really rated swift. In FoF terms he'd be like high elusiveness low hole rec, fine as a receiving back, but eh, it's a lot of money for essentially a Danny Woodhead (but not as good)
Jops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:45 AM   #369
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Do it!
Old 06-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #370
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Cowards!

They know they can't live up to last season, so they're ducking their responsibility. Shameful.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:33 PM   #371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The more I think about the Jahmyr Gibbs pick, the worse it gets. He seems like a great player and good guy and could really help the Lions, but it's such terrible value.

Gibbs will have to perform like an elite running back from go to justify the draft capital spent on him and his salary cap space. Even if he does play at that level, it's very unlikely he'll be worth the money needed to re-sign him to a second contract. (See, e.g., Saquon Barkley, Zeke Elliot, Dalvin Cook).

How many teams in the last 10-15 years have spent a first round pick on a running back and then have that running back play a key role in leading them to a Super Bowl?
Old 06-15-2023, 12:58 PM   #372
GrantDawg

Sonny Micheal. Picked in the first round by New England, and scored the only touchdown in a Super Bowl they won.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-15-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:00 PM   #373
JPhillips
General Manager

My only caveat is that the cap is going to go up a lot over the next few years, so maybe it isn't as big of an issue for this contract length.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:28 PM   #374
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't believe the salary cap is an impedement for most teams in 99% of situations, unless you handle it extremely poorly with the majority of your contracts over multiple years...I think there are contracts that are built with over-inflated years that are never meant to be paid, but that's an entierly different issue. When players with relatively sane contracts are released for supposed salary cap reasons in this day and age I always assume that's just being used as coverage rather than citing the personal reasons. I don't consider any rookie contracts signifcant.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #375
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sonny Micheal. Picked in the first round by New England, and scored the only touchdown in a Super Bowl they won.

If Jahmyr Gibbs scored two tries touchdowns in a Super Bowl the Lions won, I’d be beyond thrilled - I don’t have the words to describe how happy I’d be - but if that doesn’t happy, Sony Michel isn’t a promising career arc to follow.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #376
GrantDawg

I think you are over stating how big a pick it was, and how much a salary cap hit he is. A single pick, even a first-rounder, isn't the end of the world. Only a quarterback has enough impact as a single player to be the difference between a Super Bowl or not. Heck, the Rams won a Super Bowl getting rid of all their picks.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-15-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:54 AM   #377
Bobble
College Prospect

If Gibbs turns out to be the equivalent weapon to Amon Ra St. Brown or what we expect Jamo to be, wouldn't you want to take him in the first regardless of the rookie contract? Especially compared to drafting someone you thought has a better chance of turning out like, say, (grabbing mid-first round names from 2020 so we see a little bit of trajectory) DT-Javon Kinlaw, DE-K'Lavon Chaisson, CB-C. J. Henderson, CB-Damon Arnette?
Old 06-16-2023, 11:39 AM   #378
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There's an argument to be made that if your goal is regular (i.e. good) starters, then depending on the year, arguably any pick below 3 or 5 (or maybe 8 in stacked years) is a good trade for someone who fits that profile.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:07 PM   #379
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If Gibbs turns out to be the equivalent weapon to Amon Ra St. Brown or what we expect Jamo to be, wouldn't you want to take him in the first regardless of the rookie contract? Especially compared to drafting someone you thought has a better chance of turning out like, say, (grabbing mid-first round names from 2020 so we see a little bit of trajectory) DT-Javon Kinlaw, DE-K'Lavon Chaisson, CB-C. J. Henderson, CB-Damon Arnette?

Given the trade that Lions made, I guess you’d have to compare Gibbs and LaPorta to, say, Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, or Bijan Robinson.

I really hope it works out!
Old 06-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #380
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

https://twitter.com/BSMotorCity/stat...711168/photo/1

Barf.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-21-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:33 PM   #381
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I wish I could reassure you and tell you that it gets better. But this is the Lions. We can only hope with each new day to be just a little less disappointed.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:01 AM   #382
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wide receiver depth addressed!

We got ourselves Denzel Mims for a conditional 6th rounder and a 7th rounder. A potential reclamation project of a former 2nd rounder or another waste of late round picks for a player who would have just been cut, because he’s not good (see, also, kicker Riley Patterson). Hoping for the former, betting on the latter.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:09 AM   #383
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think we should add some REAL lions on the field.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 07:24 AM   #384
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I think we should add some REAL lions on the field.
Then Chicago would have to add some real bears. They both would tear apart Green Bay with real packers.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:26 AM   #385
GrantDawg

I wonder though if anybody could then beat San Fransico with their undead 49ers.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:18 AM   #386
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Wide receiver depth addressed!

We got ourselves Denzel Mims for a conditional 6th rounder and a 7th rounder. A potential reclamation project of a former 2nd rounder or another waste of late round picks for a player who would have just been cut, because he’s not good (see, also, kicker Riley Patterson). Hoping for the former, betting on the latter.

Subscribed as #hopeful, I liked him a lot in his draft
Old 07-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #387
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I realize that I am probably underrating the value of 5th-7th round picks as special teams bodies, etc.

But I think that NFL teams in general way overrate the value of those picks. Every offseason, you see teams shopping players like Mims (former high pick who didn't work out), and it is like pulling teeth to get a conditional 6th rounder for them.

If I were a GM, I'd almost always be trading those picks for lottery tickets on guys who might just need a change of scenery.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #388
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I realize that I am probably underrating the value of 5th-7th round picks as special teams bodies, etc.

But I think that NFL teams in general way overrate the value of those picks. Every offseason, you see teams shopping players like Mims (former high pick who didn't work out), and it is like pulling teeth to get a conditional 6th rounder for them.

If I were a GM, I'd almost always be trading those picks for lottery tickets on guys who might just need a change of scenery.

I think the value in them late picks is financial. A 6th round pick is locked in for, what?, 4 years at nearly minimum salary? That's great for depth, special teams, or one-dimensional situational players.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #389
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Then Chicago would have to add some real bears. They both would tear apart Green Bay with real packers.

Would love to see the Bears and Lions vs the Commanders.

Commander: You there! STOP and surrender!
LION: RAWWWWR! (mauls commander team)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #390
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Would love to see the Bears and Lions vs the Commanders.

Commander: You there! STOP and surrender!
LION: RAWWWWR! (mauls commander team)

I would actually watch a game between the Titans and the Giants.

I would avoid watching the Browns at all costs.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #391
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Saints would be martyred, but they'd make the other team feel guilty for killing them.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #392
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We all spend so much offseason NFL time thinking and planning and speculating and predicting for all of the teams.

And the league is kinda sorta just an random number injury generator when it comes down to it.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #393
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

We all spend so much offseason NFL time thinking and planning and speculating and predicting for all of the teams.

And the league is kinda sorta just a random number injury generator when it comes down to it.

Luckily, it appears not to be serious and the MRI showed no structural injury. Hopefully, that remains the case.
Old 07-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #394
QuikSand
lolzcat

This kid cannot get to the Lions soon enough...
Old 07-27-2023, 07:37 AM   #395
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

This kid cannot get to the Lions soon enough...

Agreed! He’s the physical manifestation of Dan Campbell football.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:45 AM   #396
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Looking more and more like the inevitable trade for a mid-round pick to another team in a season or two with the hope that a "fresh start" can help get him "back on track."
Old 07-31-2023, 01:24 PM   #397
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I desperately want to give Jamo the benefit of the doubt, but he seemed disappointed to have been picked by the Lions on draft day & has seemingly been wrestling with himself ever since. The Lions have had more than their share of delusional young WRs which is probably coloring my judgment, but patience is wearing thin.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-31-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:26 PM   #398
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The vibes around Jamo have been pretty bad. I just hope it’s way too early and things turn around or that this is just a bunch of surface stuff. It’d be a tough blow for the organization for him not to work out.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:36 PM   #399
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions are signing Touchdown Teddy Bridgewater!

Hendon Hooker is still hurt and won’t likely be ready this year and Nate Sudfeld must not be cutting it in camp.

I like it.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:38 PM   #400
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Definitely seems like a good idea. A Goff injury would've put a quick end to whatever dreams this team has.