Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
lanruz234
Banned

Pointers on better data visualization and data analysis

PS: My programming experience tops out at intermediate-ish Python so feel free to correct/disregard if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

I play exclusively play SP with the Packers but I am interested in visualizing my league in an offline website manner (similar to GML HOME - and yes I know this is not an offline website). I not only like the visualization but also like it because it allows for more engaging additional data analysis compared to the default HTML exported from the game.

As such, I am curious:

1. Are there any pointers as to how I can move towards achieving this ‘website’? Maybe a new programming language to check out (e.g PHP, HTML)? Maybe there are scripts I can access/read up on?

2. If the above is not possible, I would appreciate pointers in generating additional data analysis like the ones on the GML website. For example, the GML website tracks data for “DBL Thrown Into”, “Interception pct”, “Runs for loss” which I am guessing are web scrapped from the log. Not sure how accurate this is but it is nice to include. Another thing I like is that the website even has its own award page, which I am assuming is based on an algorithm around stats. If I am able to figure this out, I would also like to include a Top 100 as well just for a bit of fun.

I hope whatever I blabbed up there makes sense. Happy to expand more.

lanruz234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I do an offline website for SP and for MP leagues that I don't commish. PHP is the way to go.

Those "extra" stats like Doubles Thrown Into and Runs For Loss are coming from Interrogator in the Stelmack Utility Suite.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
WilleB
H.S. Freshman Team

Never understood why that wasn't shared other than the nuts, go find the bolts.
WilleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:48 AM   #4
tzach
High School JV

you have some options -- in addition to php, i have used python + dash and julia + genie for web apps. either will allow you to produce offline stuff for visualizing fof output from csvs.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
joe the wanderer
n00b

Tableau has a public, free version:

https://public.tableau.com/app/discover
joe the wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote