Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
HansMellman
n00b

Game CSVs and Interrogator

Anyone here familiar with the nuances of the additional CSVs produced by the GStelmack suite's Interrogator?

I'm pretty new to the game (less than a year) and even newer to CSV manipulation etc (the last couple of months) but there are a few things I'd like to try and do just for the leagues I'm in to share a bit of the story within the stats and add some colour.

For the most part I've been okay figuring some things out by I've hit a snag that I'd appreciate any advice on...I thought I'd try to figure out something like 'Pts per Drive' for the league...so using the 'drive_results.csv' I was able to get the total amount of drives per team for the regular season (once I'd eliminated the pre/post season thanks to the game IDs in the game_information.csv) and then took the 'Points_Scored' column from the standings.csv and thought that I was making good progress...then I realised that obviously that Points Scored column is including defensive touchdowns etc and isn't limited to offense. I needed to try something else.

I went back to the 'drive_results.csv' and assigned a 'Drive_Score' column to each drive based on the entry in the 'drive_result' ie. If drive_result contained a touchdown then drive_score would have 7 in it, FG would have 3 etc etc. However, when totalling that column, the numbers I'm met with are inaccurate and I'm failing to see where the discrepancies are being generated.

I'd deduced that the drive result codes are as follows

Code:
drive_result = { 9 : 'Touchdown', 10 : 'Missed FG', 8 : 'Field Goal', 1 : 'Punt', 6 : 'Interception', 2 : 'Downs', 4 : 'Game', 5 : 'Fumble', 3 : 'Half', 7 : 'Safety', }

For example in one of the leagues that I was trying to perform the calculation on, the team Montreal has a total points scored on the season of 253 according to the standings.csv however when taking the score from the method listed above they're generating a drive_score (should just be offensive pts scored) of 468 so they're something going seriously awry somewhere. I even just wrote that dataframe to a csv file so I could check it in Excel and the numbers were 468 which yeah, is just confusing.

I'm working in Python, my level in this, as well as FOF I'd say is still basic - so I don't think my problem is computational however, I've got a handle on moving the information around but it's just not translating as I'd expected. So I'm wondering if it's with the info and my understanding of it from the Interrogator CSVs. Either way, I've attached the drive_results for Montreal and the standings page just for further context should anyone need it.

Apologies for the lack of brevity on the post but I figured the more information I give now, the easier it may be for anyone passing this thread to get an idea of how best to offer any help!

Cheers in advance

Montreal Drive Results -
Montreal.csv - Google Drive

Default Game Standings -
standings.csv - Google Drive

HansMellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
tzach
High School JV

hey, i'd suggest debugging against individual html game logs -- see if the points you think you are getting for a single game match what the log gives you.

if that doesn't work, try applying your code to ihof (easier to double check against ben's or my results)
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #3
HansMellman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
hey, i'd suggest debugging against individual html game logs -- see if the points you think you are getting for a single game match what the log gives you.

if that doesn't work, try applying your code to ihof (easier to double check against ben's or my results)

Thanks a lot for the response Tzach, I'll take a look at some IHOF logs and see if I can tie things up, I appreciate the advice.
HansMellman is offline   Reply With Quote