Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #801
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
I think the most likely scenario is that RPI-Fan is clear. My reason for thinking so:
* Railroading Passacaglia is too bold of a play for a wolf. I especially don't like it for the cunning wolf, as the cunning attribute gives the wolves a shot at discrediting either the witness or the seer.

* He's not a great night 1 target for the wolves. Having just railroaded Passacaglia, he may work out to be a valuable player to leave alive -- one sowing confusion and misguided attacks. A safer target is someone like hoopsguy or Raiders Army, someone respected as an analyst and potentially dangerous as an opponent.

I think my second reason is weaker than the first (leaving cursed as a more viable possibility), mainly because the wolves have a tendency to not kill off the guy that I would choose to kill off if I were a wolf.

I disagree with your logic on point 1, since the wolves didn't use the cunning wolf in a logical way. I'm unclear how the seer could be discredited, since the seer ideally would not reveal his identity.

I don't quite follow point 2.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #802
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Did anyone find the voting activity stuff I posted last night mildly interesting or a factor in their thought process today? It takes quite awhile to collect that stuff and I'm not necessarily inclined to continue using it if people don't consider it useful.

It definitely helped me, quite a bit.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #803
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Did anyone find the voting activity stuff I posted last night mildly interesting or a factor in their thought process today? It takes quite awhile to collect that stuff and I'm not necessarily inclined to continue using it if people don't consider it useful.

yes and no, though i had already re-read the entire thread twice to formulate my own ideas at the time you did that...so i was already pretty set on mine, im sure it helped others
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #804
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I disagree with your logic on point 1, since the wolves didn't use the cunning wolf in a logical way. I'm unclear how the seer could be discredited, since the seer ideally would not reveal his identity.
We've been speculating about why they didn't use the cunning wolf in an ideal way to discredit the witness.

As for how the cunning wolf discredits the seer -- it often seems to be the case that subtlety fails and the seer must outright denounce the alleged wolf. The cunning wolf might frame an argument that the seer was a wolf trying to get a villager framed -- sometimes the seer is not believed and is lynched instead of the accused wolf. The cunning wolf would have an additional bullet when this happens -- in appearing to be a villager, the seer might be discredited, sowing doubt and possibly leading to us lynching him.

Quote:
I don't quite follow point 2.
Having played on the other side, I feel like I have a little more insight into the thought process that goes into picking a target. There are a bunch of different things that go into it, one aspect is that you may wish to leave loose cannons alive with the hope that they'll succeed in railroading another villager for you. Another is that you may wish to kill someone who is usually an especially insightful player.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #805
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What a frickin mess. I think it was way easier last night when we knew it was one or the other.

At this point, I'm really doubting the RPI vote, but it's too late to change it. I believe I was the first one to state that because he was pushing so hard on Day 1 it was obvious that he was a villager. His actions since then made me change my mind.

I'm pretty sure dubb is on the level. I think I explained that before, and I think there are a few who agree with that.

kingfc22 is the wildcard. I have a lot of doubt in my mind on him.

Now, what are the chances that all three are villagers out of 12 remaining players? I would say that the chances of at least one of them is a wolf are pretty good. It's just which one.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #806
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Having played on the other side, I feel like I have a little more insight into the thought process that goes into picking a target. There are a bunch of different things that go into it, one aspect is that you may wish to leave loose cannons alive with the hope that they'll succeed in railroading another villager for you. Another is that you may wish to kill someone who is usually an especially insightful player.
Very true on both points. I would also add that after playing a baddie a few times gives you the insight on what maneuvers they're trying to do...although each game is a little different.

Since it's too late to change votes, should we speculate on the lovers' twist?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #807
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Post #255 - thinks we are heading wrong direction, that Pass and RPI showdown may in fact be two warring villagers
Analysis: He knows if this is the case. Cronin has already made the case that SnDvls could be trying to remove RPI from the fray. Even though the wolves can communicate, I don't expect that every move is in lockstep. People are online at different times and they don't wait to post until getting approval from each and every teammate.
Could be a point in favor of RPI-Fan (as originally clear, at least), as SnDvls may have been attempting to curry favor should we also lynch RPI-Fan. Remember, at that time RPI-Fan was very prominently engaging Pass, so he may very well have looked like a likely lynch target.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #808
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Where's Neon? I want results! Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #809
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wednesday, I agree with your thought that if RPI is a villager then they would likely have left him around after Day 1 when he went berserk on the herbalist. But I speak from experience when I say that if that person is not lynched the next day then they eventually are able to assume a trusted position. The 'no one would be that stupid' defense starts to gain credibility when combined with rational play on the following days.

As far as the wolf decisions, I've got a number of thoughts on what would have been optimal play but I don't have any desire to post them as we come up on the night actions for them. But I thought yesterday's lynch was a pretty straight-forward call and they went another direction. So far the lynching of the herbalist is the best thing they have going for them.

Assuming that none of people under the microscope today held special roles I think that everyone did a great job of keeping their roles tightly wrapped. Of course, if we are lynching a villager who is also a lover/seer then I'll have to edit my post (j/k) to moan and complain about not saving us from our own stupid mistake.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #810
Raiders Army
Coordinator

There are at least two players conjoined and they know it. That could also explain why some players are "protecting" others. The problem is that a villager may be trying to protect his own hide by saving a wolf. I think we need to take this into account.

Would there be any harm in letting the rest of us know who the two lovers are? I would think that the wolves would know if one of them was connected to a villager, so in the reveal it would make it an even playing field.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #811
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Oh, and hoops, I found your analysis very helpful. Wednesday is in there now as well. I trust barkeep and blade, but they're in my valence circle of trust.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #812
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I see no benefit to conjoined villagers revealing themselves -- it gives the wolves a free bonus kill.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #813
Blade6119
Coordinator

NOOOO, lovers do not come out...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #814
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I see no benefit to conjoined villagers revealing themselves -- it gives the wolves a free bonus kill.
doh. I didn't think of that.

I guess I was looking at it as a villager/wolf thing instead of a villager/villager thing.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #815
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, on the other hand, if one of the conjoined is on the block, I would have to think that it would be revealed -- not because it does anything to clear the player (or the mate), but only because it should affect the math that the voters do in terms of where they cast their vote.

(If that makes any sense at all...)

I'm not as sold on this part, though.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #816
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, and I guess they can't come out because we don't know if they're a villager/villager or villager/wolf. Crap.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #817
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
doh. I didn't think of that.

I guess I was looking at it as a villager/wolf thing instead of a villager/villager thing.
Well, whether it's one of those really comes down to the luck of Foz's draw.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #818
hoopsguy
General Manager

Lovers impact:
1.) Players who are lovers have to be pretty tightly wrapped. Getting into a pissing match with someone that you do not know is a wolf is especially dangerous because you know you will be taking someone else with you if you incite your own lynching.
2.) Wolves would all know if one of their own is a lover, since they can communicate. They would also know which villager to avoid.
3.) Wolves would be incented to 'take a shot' at the lovers rather than collecting a sure kill, in the event that they have identified a role
4.) If a villager is a lover and their lover seems to be skating free and clear along with them they have to worry about their partner as we move towards end game. I'm still kind of thinking through the implications of this one ...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #819
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola, on the other hand, if one of the conjoined is on the block, I would have to think that it would be revealed -- not because it does anything to clear the player (or the mate), but only because it should affect the math that the voters do in terms of where they cast their vote.

(If that makes any sense at all...)

I'm not as sold on this part, though.
Makes sense to me. The problem is that it's all after the fact. Hmmmm....let me revisit something.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #820
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Basically, a villager/villager pair wants to stay hidden.

If a wolf is part of a pair, the incentive for hiding isn't there (no worries about free wolf meat), but because of the desire of the villager/villager pair to stay hidden, a reveal in itself casts suspicion.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #821
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Maybe my analysis of dubb making a play at kingfc wasn't too off:

(assuming 3 wolves)
9-3 villagers right now.
After a villager lynch, it would be 8-3 villagers.
Wolf kill tonight would bring it to 7-3 villagers.
Lynch a villager tomorrow, it would be 6-3 villagers.
Wolf kill would make it 5-3 villagers.

IF the lovers are both villagers, chances are that we will lose another villager in this process, making it 4-3 villagers at the end of tomorrow. That makes it a much closer game there.

I think the only conclusion is that if we fucked up today, we have to be very careful in what happens tomorrow (or the seer needs to come up big), because if we don't, that's pretty much the game.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #822
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm out for the night. See y'all in the morning.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #823
hoopsguy
General Manager

Don't forget a cursed, RA. Upon the death of SirFoz I interpreted that to mean that there is one blessed and one cursed remaining. I don't think it takes a particularly liberal interpretation to suggest that there is someone out there who could still be turned by the wolves.

Looks like Sir Fozzie's Night 0 action will go a long way towards determining the winner in this game.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #824
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Maybe my analysis of dubb making a play at kingfc wasn't too off:

I'm trying to figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing for me. What was your analysis of me making a play @ king?

And who is getting lynched? King or RPI?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #825
st.cronin
General Manager

I used to think I was a pretty smart fellow.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #826
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure kingfc22 wound up getting lynched by a single vote (without tiebreakers coming into play).

Old 11-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #827
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

KING-Dubb, Mr. Wednesday, Ardent, RPI
DUBB-Barkeep, St. Cronin, hoopsguy
RPI-KingFc, RA, McSweeny, Blade

I just went thought and counted it up as that.

EDIT: Assuming this is the count it comes down to a technicality. I voted King b/f King voted RPI(which would kill RPI), but I later unvoted that vote and re-voted for him(which could kill King). Should be interesting.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-18-2005 at 09:06 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #828
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Damnit. Sorry guys, I missed the vote. I was expecting to get out of the office by about 5:30 and make it home in time, but I didn't end up leaving until 6:45 and at my new office we don't have internet access yet. I have about 5 pages of posts to read through, but it looks like today was quite a day.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 PM   #829
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im headed out for a date...ill be back either late late tonight or tomorrow afternoon...
Demotivation
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #830
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Im headed out for a date...ill be back either late late tonight or tomorrow afternoon...

Hopefully its tomorrow!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #831
Poli
FOFC Survivor

hitting the hay. Not sure how active I can be tomorrow. I have college and UFC fighting championship on the tube. A bunch of guys from work will be over.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #832
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sorry for the lateness. I'm putting things on hold until the weekend blows over. Night actions can be sent in during the weekend and I will post everything as soon as I receive them. We resume on Monday, 8PM EST Voting deadline. BTW, can you guys find someone who would want to play in place of SackAttack over the weekend?

Vote Count:
kingfc22 - Mr.Wednesday, ardent_enthusiast, dubb93, RPI-Fan
dubb93 - Barkeep49, st. cronin, hoopsguy
RPI-Fan - kingfc22, Raiders Army, McSweeny, Blade6119

With RPI-Fan having the last first vote cast on him, he is the unfortunate lynchee tonight.

You grab RPI-Fan and accuse him of being a wolf. He says that he certainly is not one. You grab his arms and legs and bind them. You quickly hoist him up, despite his screams for mercy. A noose is tied around his neck. You lift him up... and wait. Nothing. You just killed another villager.

RPI-Fan was a Villager!

Player List:
SackAttack
st.cronin
kingfc22
Raiders Army
Passacaglia - Herbalist, lynched Day 1.
hoopsguy
RPI-Fan - Villager, lynched Day 3
ardent enthusiast
pennywisesb
SnDvls - Werewolf, lynched Day 2
McSweeny
Mr. Wednesday
SirFozzie - Villager, killed Night 2
dubb93
Barkeep49
Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #833
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Oops, I didn't read my own count right. And that answers the question about whether revoking a vote alters the tiebreaker, as well. RIP, RPI.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #834
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, and I was all set to be melancholy about not getting a wolf, but we really don't know that for sure because he could have been the cunning wolf (although I've already posted my own reasons for thinking otherwise).

Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #835
st.cronin
General Manager

well pfffffffffffftttt

sorry RPI
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #836
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'll update the post counts thread tomorrow morning. Since we have a fairly long weekend to digest the info I'm just going to get some rest tonight and come back at this with a fresh outlook tomorrow. Hopefully today's close results give us something more to look at than today's crapshoot.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #837
st.cronin
General Manager

Since it was a close vote, I will be looking most closely at those who voted FOR RPI-Fan. Although I will keep in mind that it is possible rpi was cunning wolf. Ugh ... you all might be better off if I get eaten, I'm just really no good at this.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 PM   #838
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Since it was a close vote, I will be looking most closely at those who voted FOR RPI-Fan. Although I will keep in mind that it is possible rpi was cunning wolf. Ugh ... you all might be better off if I get eaten, I'm just really no good at this.
It's not a werewolf game until you try to figure out what the heck is going on and realize you have no f***ing clue.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #839
hoopsguy
General Manager

If that is the case then this werewolf game started for me today.

Cronin, you ever read along with a game before playing this one? I remember the first game I read along with I was pretty dialed in. But that was probably the exception to the rule.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #840
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
If that is the case then this werewolf game started for me today.

Cronin, you ever read along with a game before playing this one? I remember the first game I read along with I was pretty dialed in. But that was probably the exception to the rule.

Nope. I opened one or two threads just to see what it was all about ... but never followed the actual gameplay. I was a werewolf virgin before this game. Although I think I may have played a parlor game with a similiar theme.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #841
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

There was one game (run by Neon) where I knew fairly early on what all of the players were. It was very unusual, though, because there was so much interlinking that very few people were playing completely in the dark. And I still wasn't able to leverage that knowledge into a strategy to win the game.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:50 AM   #842
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just got home and I can't believe the amount of activity that went on. Pretty crazy.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #843
McSweeny
College Starter

well damn

that was a bit unexpceted. i left tonight figuring that i'd be lynched and i come home to see a neck and neck race between king and rpi and dubb

as i was driving to providence tongiht i had this crazy theory that Blade is a wolf. it's probably just paranoia, but since Blade has been pretty much the villager ring-leader i figure the wolves would want him dead ASAP. i know that if i were a wolf he'd be the first one i'd target. If he doesn't get attacked tonight you have to wonder what the wolves are thinking. doesn't it make sense to take out whomever presents the greatest threat? could he be playing an amazing game as a wolf? could he really have us all fooled?

i dunno, that's just the crazy theory that popped into my head tonight, don't take it for anything more. i'm sure i'll be one of the front-runners for tomorrow's lynching and i doubt this crazy theory will do anything to help that... but we already lost the innocent RPI. we really don't need to lose another innocent
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #844
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Shiznit. Now we're down another villager, albeit somewhat of a loose cannon.

I see this: Blade, McSweeny and I should be the targets today. All three of us voted for Pass and RPI. Well, Blade didn't really vote for Pass, but he would've had his vote been properly formatted.

I know I'm on the level, but it's strange that McSweeny brings up doubts about Blade at this point. I haven't had any doubts due to the way he's "played the game," but now I do. On the flipside, is he bringing this up at this point to deflect attention from himself?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #845
hoopsguy
General Manager

Neon 5
Cronin 2
Hoopsguy 6
Ardent 5
SnDvls 3
King 1
Wednesday 2
Sack 1
RPI 1
Old 11-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #846
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well as far as lynching a villager goes that was about as good as it gets. The only thing better would have been to find the cursed.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:57 AM   #847
hoopsguy
General Manager

Post #520 - 783 (Day 2 Voting Deadline)
Hoopsguy 24
RPI 11
Dubb 37
Barkeep 15
Neon 2
Foz 1
Ardent 16
Wednesday 45
Blade 60
King 11
Raiders 19
Penny 1
Cronin 14
Sack 1 (leaving game)
JonInGA 1 (OOG)
McSweeny 7
Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 AM   #848
hoopsguy
General Manager

We may have lynched the cursed - I don't believe that role is revealed upon death.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #849
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
We may have lynched the cursed - I don't believe that role is revealed upon death.
If that's true that means we might have also lynched the blessed. I guess it wasn't as good as it first sounded.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #850
hoopsguy
General Manager

Villager? Or ...

Blessed
Cursed
Cunning Wolf

We really are playing with more incomplete information than normal at this point.