Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #4501
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Wait, was the point of that Varys scene with the little girl that he was trying to poison Daenerys? I thought he was just getting updates about how she was emotionally unstable and acting irrationally, and deciding he had to approach Jon Snow when he arrived on Dragonstone.

Yeah, it was a little too subtle, I think. He was dismayed Daenerys wasn't eating, then told the little girl to get back to the kitchens or she would be missed. Mentions as she's leaving that the greatest sacrifices earn the greatest rewards.

Anyone know what the significance of Varys taking off the rings was?

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-13-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #4502
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Anyone know what the significance of Varys taking off the rings was?

Presumably so they wouldn't be melted when he was burnt to a crisp.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #4503
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think it was so the audience would know that Varys understood he was about to die.

Though I wonder how many messages he got out telling the lords of Westeros that Jon is a Targaryen.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #4504
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I think it was so the audience would know that Varys understood he was about to die.

Though I wonder how many messages he got out telling the lords of Westeros that Jon is a Targaryen.
Did he send them out? I thought he wrote them, but then burned then after he met Jon on the beach & Jon (again) rejected the chance at the throne.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #4505
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Did he send them out? I thought he wrote them, but then burned then after he met Jon on the beach & Jon (again) rejected the chance at the throne.

Well he burned the one he was writing at the moment, but remember he was also writing a message at the beginning when his little bird came in to tell him that Dany wasn't eating.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #4506
spleen1015
Coordinator

And he had many that were already rolled up sitting on the desk.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #4507
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I just didn't really like it. Hard to explain I guess, I didn't think Dany's turn was unearned or anything. But I guess it just sort of bummed me out that it was the direction they took so that was the feeling I was left with for pretty much the rest of the episode.

My wife was falling asleep 20 mins in so I'll rewatch it tonight and maybe feel differently this time around.

I rewatched. No change in opinion.

People think Dany's turn was earned. I thought it was way too extreme. I'm not going to try and convince those people that they are wrong or that they shouldn't like the episode/series because of it. But I definitely did not and that's just how I feel.

This last season was a real disappointment for me beginning with the Battle of Winterfell. I'll give it some time of course but I really don't see myself revisiting past seasons like I typically do for some of my other favorite shows. The whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I do think I'll give the books a shot a few years down the road when I have some more time on my hands.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #4508
Izulde
Head Coach

I think they could have set it up differently so that she didn't experience the break after the bells and quiet had settled in, or provided some more immediate emotional impetus to put it on firmer ground - One place I read suggested that Rhaegal doesn't die in the previous episode, but instead dies during this one as a much better setup for the turn.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #4509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Loud chanting by the Northmen in favor of Jon Snow, King in the North, may have also accomplished similar.

Though the real issue is that obvious there was some interior dialogue going on at that moment and the showrunners decided not to let us in. Even a "They aren't going to get off that easy" may have helped.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #4510
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I wonder if a part of Dany's genocide was because she felt no one in King's Landing wanted her - so the more "locals" she killed, the more she could replace with outsiders who followed her (dothraki, northern army) or new children who didn't have the built in bias. Basically, if she leaves 100,000 Lannister armymen and 800,000 King's Landing locals there is a better chance of a revolt than wiping out the Lannisters and leaving only around 300-400K in locals.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #4511
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I wonder if a part of Dany's genocide was because she felt no one in King's Landing wanted her"

I agree with the part i quoted but I don't think the rest fits for me. She just wants and expected to be welcomed home to her rightful throne and beloved by all. She's not and she's reacting... poorly to say the least. That's my read on it at least.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #4512
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Or maybe she just had a little bit of Khal Drogo in her.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #4513
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
People think Dany's turn was earned. I thought it was way too extreme. I'm not going to try and convince those people that they are wrong or that they shouldn't like the episode/series because of it. But I definitely did not and that's just how I feel.

I feel like everything is making sense, but in a fast forward kind of way. Dany's character has been working in this direction since the beginning, however I think that moving from the lust for power to complete madness did happen too quickly.

It also is somewhat of a perspective thing. She's slagged many people before with her dragons. But they didn't show the children running away, with sad music playing.

I think she had to burn the entire city to get to episode 6 and tell the story that they need to tell us. However, something a lot less extreme is probably what should have happened, and a slower journey to madness. Which we will probably get in the books. (which will never come out)
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #4514
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Or maybe she just had a little bit of Khal Drogo in her.

The ghost of Drogo is offended.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #4515
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
However, something a lot less extreme is probably what should have happened, and a slower journey to madness. Which we will probably get in the books. (which will never come out)

I heard via a podcast I was listening to that he has the next 2 books completed and was told to hold off on them until the series finished. I hope that's true, but I haven't heard it anywhere else.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #4516
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRM View Post
All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet… do I need to say that too? It boggles me that anyone would believe this story, even for an instant. It makes not a whit of sense. Why would I sit for years on completed novels? Why would my publishers — not just here in the US, but all around the world — ever consent to this? They make millions and millions of dollars every time a new Ice & Fire book comes out, as do I. Delaying makes no sense. Why would HBO want the books delayed? The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.

So… no, the books are not done. HBO did not ask me to delay them. Nor did David & Dan. There is no “deal” to hold back on the books. I assure you, HBO and David & Dan would both have been thrilled and delighted if THE WINDS OF WINTER had been delivered and published four or five years ago… and NO ONE would have been more delighted than me.

so, no
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #4517
thesloppy
Pro Starter

False flag!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 AM   #4518
PilotMan
Head Coach

"It's absurd that a writer would ever be expected to write! Why do I have to keep telling people, I don't write? I just talk about it, use it as my title, and promise that I am not doing a god damned thing! I would be delighted if I had written more books, but for god's sake, I don't have to write if I can't!"

Like Steam?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #4519
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
"It's absurd that a writer would ever be expected to write! Why do I have to keep telling people, I don't write? I just talk about it, use it as my title, and promise that I am not doing a god damned thing! I would be delighted if I had written more books, but for god's sake, I don't have to write if I can't!"

My thoughts exactly. Earth is round, water is wet, GRRM is incapable completing a novel now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #4520
Izulde
Head Coach

Another fun, stupid, and illogical fan theory is making the rounds: Bran warged into Drogon and was responsible for the King's Landing wipeout.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #4521
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bran warged into the horse that appeared suddenly to help Arya escape is a believable theory
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #4522
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Another fun, stupid, and illogical fan theory is making the rounds: Bran warged into Drogon and was responsible for the King's Landing wipeout.

People are grasping at straws trying to explain the terrible writing this season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #4523
Swaggs
Coordinator

People are suggesting that Jamie may have survived because he did not do post-episode interviews (I guess the actors that play Cersei, Sandor, and Varys all did) and none of the other cast members recognized him on social media.

Almost believable.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #4524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really happy these assclowns(B&W) are doing the next Star Wars
Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #4525
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'd still take them over Rian Johnson
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #4526
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Only bit I didn't like about Cleganebowl: That unmasked The Mountain was a dead ringer for unmasked Darth Vader. I'm like, really? You couldn't go with something more original?

Glad I wasn't alone on this thought. Also the scorpions all of a sudden turning utterly useless also caused an eyeroll.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode and thought the end of Cersei and Jaime was very fitting for them to go out together.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #4527
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

people gonna be hella pissed
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #4528
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well? Having read the spoilers and knowing this was where it was going made it a little better for me. I wish the next series was that King's council.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #4529
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Well? Having read the spoilers and knowing this was where it was going made it a little better for me. I wish the next series was that King's council.

I hope it is the adventures of Arya out west
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #4530
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the cheap seats I will say that I thought the execution of the spoilers played out better on camera than they did when I read them.

Doesn't make them good, but I thought they came off better than I expected.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #4531
JPhillips
General Manager

A live look at Martin answering questions about the finale.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #4532
sabotai
General Manager

The bit with Edmure Tully during the dragon pit meeting was pretty hilarious.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #4533
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hope it is the adventures of Arya out west

This is what I thought as soon as she said where she was going.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #4534
Atocep
Coordinator

Jorah died for this.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #4535
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don’t think I’ve laughed louder in a very long time than when Dany got shanked and then the dragon melted the iron throne.

That was an apt ending for this season, let’s just leave it there.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #4536
Logan
Head Coach

Bran the Broken

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #4537
Atocep
Coordinator

Without getting too deep into discussion about this episode, is Bron as Master of Coin the stupidest thing in the entire series?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #4538
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I did like how Drogon can destroy walls with one blast of Dragonfire, but the Iron Throne takes sustained blasts.

The election of Kings seemed a decent compromise (I did how they laughed out loud at Sam's democracy).

Bran as King would have been literally no one's guess at the start of this season. It looked like Bronn, Sam, and Brienne (and Pod!) got happy endings. Tyrion not being in the Song of Ice and Fire was hilarious (on a meta way as well because he has the most POV chapters in the books).

It also seems like "Bran the Broken" would be a historic nickname, not what you fucking call him to his face!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-19-2019 at 10:07 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #4539
bhlloy
Coordinator

Should have been Bran the Creeper, first of his name
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #4540
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So Westeros now has...

As their King, an emotionless cripple who has a history of not using his abilities to help anyone.

As their Hand, a man who pretty much everyone hates, and has spent the last few years making terrible decisions and being out-maneuvered at every turn.

As their Master of Coin, a murderous sellsword with precisely zero experience in how to manage anything.

As their Grand Maester, a coward who has pretty much zero training as a Maseter.

With the North gone, and the Unsullied/Dothraki armies gone, no military to speak of.

Ruinous debts about to be incurred trying to rebuild the capital, not to mention nobody left in the city to rebuild it in the first place.

Let the people rejoice!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #4541
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

As their Hand, a man who pretty much everyone hates, and has spent the last few years making terrible decisions and being out-maneuvered at every turn.

The response to his suggestion on who should sit on the Iron Throne should have been some variation of "ok we know who not to pick now".

Why on earth would anyone listen to Tyrion in that situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
As their Master of Coin, a murderous sellsword with precisely zero experience in how to manage anything.

The most bribable person in Westeros and I seriously doubt he can read.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #4542
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Bran as King would have been literally no one's guess at the start of this season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you follow betting markets he was the favorite since before the season started
Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #4543
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The response to his suggestion on who should sit on the Iron Throne should have been some variation of "ok we know who not to pick now".

Why on earth would anyone listen to Tyrion in that situation?

Got one better. Why on earth was anyone giving two shits what Grey Worm thought?

Quote:
The most bribable person in Westeros and I seriously doubt he can read.

He can't. And even better, Tyrion once explained to him how borrowing money works.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #4544
Izulde
Head Coach

I’m on mobile only until next Sunday, so I’ll limit myself to the following until then:

1. That was one of the top 5 stupidest episodes I’ve ever seen in all my television watching history.

2. I felt gross and in need of a deeply cleansing shower after that disgusting Starksturbation.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #4545
bronconick
College Starter

You figure Yara wants her independence after Sansa gets hers?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #4546
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nothing is perfect and life goes on. It was always prophesied that the Starks would rise and Lannisters fall. I'm satisfied. I'm not going to pick at it to death, but I like to accept the arc as it falls, and this holds solid in a story rich with history. That things don't end, or have clean lines from which to build on, that it's changed, as the end of one novel and the beginning of another. It's a reasonable arc of thought that is fine to finish on.

Like Steam?

Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #4547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I loved how they continue to spawn more Unsullied and Dothraki every episode.

I’m pretty much going to forget this show ever happened by Thursday or so.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #4548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Game of Thrones series finale recap told only in Twitter reactions
Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #4549
MrBug708
Head Coach

Enjoyed it. Have no problems worth it and will miss it going forward. Can't wait for spinoffs
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #4550
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, for me that was maybe the best episode of a shaky season. Lots to fault, but they stuck the landing overall. Just enough throwbacks to earlier episodes without hitting Star wars territory, and redemption for Tyrion. I liked Jon's ending in particular, heading north with the free folk.