Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

OT: Advice (NL-only fantasy)

My friend is very weak at middle infield. (Craig Counsel, who is now injured, was one of his stars) Besides Vladimir Guerrero and Mark Kotsay (if you even count him) my outfield sucks. I split time between Grissom, Tim Perez and Todd Hollandsworth. What do you think about this trade?

I give up: Jeff Kent & Mark Kotsay

In exchange for: Luis Gonzalez & either Mantai or Dejean

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #2
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

When I look at this deal I see the deal as being Kent for Gonzo. Pretty fair offer. The deal really depends on who you can replace Kent with. If the backup is suitable then you might want to pull the trigger. Also if a RP is a big need, the deal will help you.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the problem is with the back-up. I have Luis Castillo as my starting 2nd basemen, but Kent is my middle-infielder. I would have to play Andy Fox or pick up a free agent MI to fill in. But my team is pretty good offensively (top 3 in every catagory) it is my pitching that needs help. I was counting on Alfonseca, so right now I have zero saves and the one point for saves is driving me towards the bottom of the league.

I am leaning towards Mantai (I have Schilling and am a big fan on the 1-2 punch) but DeJean would give me a Brewer and keep me from being too dependent on the Diamondbacks. Your thoughts are most definitely appreciated.

Last edited by panerd : 05-08-2003 at 10:56 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I don't think Andy Fox would be a great soulution. You may want to take a look at the free agents, and try to pick someone up like Ceasar Izturis or someone that you know will play everyday. You really do need that RP, so the deal is pretty even. Alfonseca finally has come back. He hasn't gotten his closer spot back from Joe Borrowski yet though!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

At first glance, I tend to think that you might be giving up a bit too much. A player of Kent's caliber in the middle infield is tough to find in the NL, and really not all that common in the majors to begin with. Your shortlist would have Soriano, Rodriguez, Kent, and perhaps Alomar when he's putting up his 'normal' numbers. Jeter and Garciaparra are remarkably consistent, and very good players in their own right, but I tend to look at them as more upper-2nd tier players at their positions.

The flip side of that coin is that while solid outfielders are in greater abundance, and Gonzalez is nominally one of the best of the bunch, he's also getting up there in years. I don't see him as a Bonds-type who can put up sick numbers year in and year out. He's got the bat speed to be a consistent producer, but I'd still expect him to lose a step or two over the next couple of seasons, inclusive.

If your bullpen is a need, then it might be worth making that exchange to pick up a solid reliever. However, the knock on DeJean from where I'm sitting is that I can't see him getting very many save opportunities in Milwaukee. It'd be a little like going after the Tigers' closer - he could be Eric Gagne, and he still wouldn't be a favorable risk when it comes to putting up the numbers you need.

I'd almost hold out for a better deal. Kent is too valuable, especially in Minute Maid Park, to trade him for Gonzo and DeJean, IMO.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote