Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Following on that Valedictorian Lawsuit

It gets better and better...

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/5811678.htm

'Other' Moorestown valedictorian files suit
By JIM NOLAN
[email protected]

IN A school district where "Most Likely to Succeed" has become "Most Likely to Sue," it was only a matter of time.

Now Moorestown High's "other" valedictorian has filed legal papers, asserting his right to the disputed title currently claimed by Blair Hornstine - the uberachieving, special education student who sued last week to prevent the school from forcing her to share the valedictory honor, alleging discrimination.

Making matters more complicated, Moorestown School Superintendent Paul Kadri also filed papers yesterday alleging that if class schedules and course requirements had been equal, the academic challenger, identified in papers only as "K.M.", would actually have a higher grade point average than Hornstine.

Meanwhile, attorneys for Hornstine filed papers pointedly refuting defense claims made by the school district that Hornstine benefited unfairly from the specialized schooling she received as a result of her disability - an immune-system disorder similar to chronic fatigue syndrome.

"Defendant seeks to turn the protections afforded students with disabilities against them under the guise of 'leveling the playing field' for nondisabled students," Hornstine's team said.

So begins the second act of "As the Mortar Board Turns" this afternoon in Judge Freda Wolfson's federal courtroom in Camden.

Flanked by high-powered criminal defense attorney Edwin Jacobs Jr., Hornstine, 18 - the daughter of Camden County Judge Louis Hornstine - wants Wolfson to restrain the Moorestown Board from passing a proposed change in its academic policy that would enable officials to confer top academic awards to more than one student.

The policy change was prompted by Kadri, who said he received complaints from fellow students, parents and community members challenging the academic fairness of Hornstine's credentials as the only valedictorian.

Kadri claims that a review of Hornstine's home-tutored Independent Education Program revealed that "the accommodation of home instruction" gave her advantages over able-bodied students required to attend school.

They allege she was exempted from certain courses, was able to take Advanced Placement courses with conflicting schedules, and not subject to grading by the same teachers, but by her home instructors.

"...No MHS student, during the past three years, has been, or would have been able to take the program of studies taken by Plaintiff, unless classified and afforded the same accommodations," Kadri alleges.

The result was Hornstine's stunning GPA of 4.689, highest in the class. Kadri argued that if subjected to the same academic and schedule requirements, her GPA would have actually been 4.629 - some .005 below that of "K.M." at 4.634.

Jacobs argued that Hornstine's academic program was formulated on "the advice and approval" of school adminsitrators, who also had sole discretion in hiring and supervising the instructors who taught Hornstine.

He also argued that Hornstine's IEP stipulates that she should be graded in exactly the same fashion as her nondisabled classmates.

"Unsatisfied with the outcome that this produced, the Defendant now seeks post hoc to depreciate plaintiff's grades by claiming that she was graded more leniently than her classmates.

"This leaves only one conclusion - that defendant's efforts to depreciate plaintiff's grades is motivated by her special-education status. This is the essence of discrimination."

Yesterday, Moorestown attorney Frances Hartman filed papers that essentially align her client's interests with the school board's intent to dismiss the suit.

"We do not suggest that she should be penalized for the districts failure to properly monitor her IEP," said Hartman. "However, my client should not be penalized either.

"The real bottom line is, there is no harm to this young woman. She should be commended and applauded and the school board intends to do that. He deserves, as well, to be commended and applauded. I do not understand how that in any way dimishes the accomplishment."

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
there sure is a a lot of crap in some parts of Joisy
Old 05-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
clintl
College Starter

The lawsuit is silly, but so is the school district for changing the rules at the last minute.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

I wish I saved the article, but there was a story written on Hornestine in the Burlington County Times last week (Burlington County is where Moorestown is located) saying about Hornestine's father..."I was 2nd in my HS Class (the father). I don't want my daughter suffering the same embarassment as I did" Someone please tell me, how is being #2 in your class embarassing?? And after you're done with that, please explain to me what class rank means a day after graduation....Oh wait..that's right...NOTHING...

Sorry..needed to vent

BFleming
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

"Making matters more complicated, Moorestown School Superintendent Paul Kadri also filed papers yesterday alleging that if class schedules and course requirements had been equal, the academic challenger, identified in papers only as "K.M.", would actually have a higher grade point average than Hornstine."

This does it for me. She has no right to sole val now, imo.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

dola...

""The real bottom line is, there is no harm to this young woman. She should be commended and applauded and the school board intends to do that. He deserves, as well, to be commended and applauded. I do not understand how that in any way dimishes the accomplishment.""

Damn straight!

BFleming, apparently we have judges who do not understand that co-val means that there are 2 #1s, not that her daughter is #2...and what a pathetic little man that guy must be to beleive that.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

double-dola.

BFleming, here's the link to the Burlington Times story:
Hornstine is Pathetic
Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #8
Blackadar
Retired

Somebody bitch slap this c*nt and send the father to a "pound him in the ass prison" for a couple of weeks!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:51 AM   #9
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I was #2. I try harder.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Somebody bitch slap this c*nt and send the father to a "pound him in the ass prison" for a couple of weeks!

You better watch out, Bob Ryan got suspended over similar comments, and Skydog is more conservative than the Boston Globe
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:54 AM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

She's a HornstineManiac.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:27 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
She's a HornstineManiac.

already used that one.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #13
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Just so you guys know (maybe sabotai can help with the link)..she won her suit, and she will be alone as valedictorian...now I'm going to go vomit
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by BFleming
Just so you guys know (maybe sabotai can help with the link)..she won her suit, and she will be alone as valedictorian...now I'm going to go vomit

you have got to be fucking kidding me.......

this is almost as bad as the dumbass woman who spilled coffee on herself and sued mcdonalds and won....OI
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:10 AM   #15
Craptacular
College Starter

Disabled S. Jersey senior is ruled sole valedictorian
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:13 AM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
already used that one.

Damned attention defecit......
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:11 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

There is nothing wrong with ADD
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:11 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

I don't believe that dumb bitch won...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:01 AM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I don;t see why she should be called a bitch. I blame the father. He seems to be the one that has some sort of penis envy problem when it comes to class rank. But he is an embarrassment anyway, he was 2nd in his class, but maybe it was a class of 2.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote