Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

OT: Valedictorian case update

The Bitch won

If she actually gets any money out of this...

EDIT: Posted after I saw Crappy posted a link to a story on this as well...

EDIT 2: Why the fuck do you care so much 11 year ago me? Why so ragey emo at everything?

Last edited by sabotai : 03-17-2014 at 06:50 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

pay attention

Following on that Valedictorian Lawsuit
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

haha, I wrote that edit while you were posting your message...shut up
Old 05-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
the final sentence of the article sabotai posted:

'The third case, in Michigan, involves a student who wanted an A changed to an A-plus so he would be more likely to be valedictorian."

WTFO
Old 05-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

It's getting too fuckin out of hand...
Old 05-09-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Re: OT: Valedictorian case update

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai

If she actually gets any money out of this...

Hopefully the only money she'll get out of it is an appearance fee to be on Jerry Springer.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

From the article Crap posted in the other thread...

"Jacobs said Hornstine had been harassed in the week since she filed the lawsuit. She has received threatening notes, and her house was hit with eggs last weekend, he said."

What the fuck did she expect!?! I hope that at graduation they jeer her when she makes her speach (and from what articles have stated about the student's opinion of her, it's likely)

Oh, I doubt her daddy judge had nothing to do with this either...
Old 05-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

thats the first thing I thought

when you sue for an honor, it is no honor.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

"when you sue for an honor, it is no honor."

Like when you sue to become President.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

boot to the head
Old 05-09-2003, 08:11 PM   #11
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
From the article Crap posted in the other thread...

"Jacobs said Hornstine had been harassed in the week since she filed the lawsuit. She has received threatening notes, and her house was hit with eggs last weekend, he said."

What the fuck did she expect!?! I hope that at graduation they jeer her when she makes her speach (and from what articles have stated about the student's opinion of her, it's likely)

Hey sabotai, what are you doing the day of moorestown's graduation??
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:45 PM   #12
CAsterling
High School JV

Couldn't resist the temptation any longer - must use my favourite phrase.

"Only In America" !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:57 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll probably get ripped for it, but from the articles I read earlier today, it seems I had the same take on this case that the judge did.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

"Hey sabotai, what are you doing the day of moorestown's graduation??"

I do not know, but I have a feeling I might be in the area of Moorestown.

Jon, I think the judge is missing the point. I think she and some other people are not looking passed her disability. She has a disability and should be treated as equal to the other students. But that doesn't mean she should be given unfair advantages, like having a GPA calculation that inherently yields a higher GPA than what everyone else. IMO, this steps over the line of trying to level the playing field for disabled students and giving disabled students an advantage over nondisabled students.

Last edited by sabotai : 05-09-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:18 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Even if the other kid would have had a higher GPA had the grade for the gym class (that she did not have to take) been taken out?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #16
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
Even if the other kid would have had a higher GPA had the grade for the gym class (that she did not have to take) been taken out?

That is still not really a completely valid comparison, because presumably, that kid would have had to take something in place of the gym class, and there is no way of knowing how the kid would have done in this hypothetical other class.

I think there are plausible and defensible arguments for both sides, but like I said in the other thread, both sides have acted silly in this matter. It's not something that should have ended up in court, and the only way it could have ended up there is for both sides to have been unreasonable.

If the school's rules are that the student with the highest GPA is the valedictorian, the school should have stuck with that, and not tried to rewrite the rules just before graduation to cover a situation they didn't anticipate.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:14 PM   #17
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
If the school's rules are that the student with the highest GPA is the valedictorian, the school should have stuck with that, and not tried to rewrite the rules just before graduation to cover a situation they didn't anticipate.

If the schools rules are that students have to take gym classes that count on their GPA and she didn't take any gym classes, the school should not consider her for a GPA based award.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-10-2003 at 01:15 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

mckerney -- I think you've just hit on the problem here -- the school system established the IEP, not the student, establishing the curriculum established the guidelines and they don't seem to have addressed this at that time. And only when they realized they'd goofed somewhat by not anticipating this did they try to change the rules in mid-game. And that seems to be where she won in court, changing the criteria only after she was in front just screamed discrimination.

If they'd like to change them in some way in the future, I don't think that would be stopped, it's just that you can't change them in middle just because you don't like who's winning.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #19
NevStar
High School Varsity

But it wasn't like they were taking valedictory honors away from her, they wanted her to SHARE WITH TWO OTHERS!

It wouldn't hurt her at all to share the award... she could still put on college applications & resumes she was valedictorian. Hell, in 5 years nobody will care what you did in high school anyway.

The only purpose of this lawsuit was to try to ruin the chances of the two other people that deserved valedictorian as much as she did.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And that seems to be where she won in court, changing the criteria only after she was in front just screamed discrimination.

Yeah, this is what I took away from the case as well. It screams discrimination when you change the rules because a handicaped person is going to win out. HOWEVER, this should still be reversed on appeal, because there was a rational basis for this classification (handicap isn't a suspect classification).
Old 05-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

I think she did much more harm to herself by sueing that sharing the award.

She's already decided to go to Harvard. So college isn't an argument. And as NevStar said, she still puts valedictorian on her future applications if she shares it or not.

Now, the students don't like it, parents don't like it. She's not going to get received well at graduation when she makes her speach, IF she does. Everyone at Harvard is going to know she was the one that had to sue to me named sole valedictorian. (Note: one of the guy swho would have been named co-valedictorian is also going to Harvard).

She's going to put herself through all this grief and embarrisment...just so that she didn't have to share valedictorian honors.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #22
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by NevStar
Hell, in 5 years nobody will care what you did in high school anyway.

Replace years with months. The day she starts at Harvard, do you honestly think anyone will give two craps about her H.S. career, other than knowing she sued. The same goes for any level of education past HS ... once you get in somewhere, your HS accomplishments mean jack squat.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #23
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
I think she did much more harm to herself by sueing that sharing the award.

I agree with that, but it was still the school that screwed up in the first place.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

I agree that the school did screw up. Which is why if they tried to take valedictorian away from her (his GPA would have been higher), then I would have agreed with sueing (IF it was the ONLY option). But the fact that they were still going to give her valedictorian makes me wonder exactly what she would have lost.

I just don't get what the big deal is. The only thing that I see is that nothing happens to her and the people who really got screwed (the kid(s) that would have graduated higher than her) get what they would have gotten if the school didn't mess up. She's acting like they were trying to take it away, when all they were doing was acknowledging the accomplishments of the other students.