Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2003, 11:01 PM   #51
ACStrider
High School JV

Dola...

Thanks for playin' guys...too bad it got cut a little short. We'll have to try it again. Tonight might not work for me, but it depends on how much energy I have after I get off work. I have some business to take care of, so we'll see. My character isn't much of a help until she starts acquiring some levels...then you'll really love having me around (don't know if you've ever played as a bard before). As the levels get higher, I can use the bard song more and more often (to the point of having it going non-stop) and the benefits keep getting greater. Fun fun. Same deal with the monk, I guess. Most of the benefits of a Monk come with the special feats that you get as you level. I guess the only characters that are solid early on would be the primary fighters (paladin, fighter, barbarian, ranger, and some clerics or druids). It should be interesting, and it will be nice once my roommate decides to sign up.

I think I know of a place where we can use the rat/goblin/other packs and not worry about it scattering to the four corners of the wind without worrying about breaking the spirit of the game. Next time we're in, I'll show you. Anyway, see ya'll around!

Last edited by ACStrider : 04-24-2003 at 03:48 AM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:44 AM   #52
ACStrider
High School JV

Double Dola...

I thought I would bounce my thoughts around since I was up.

Experience:
The experience factor is a bit of an issue, but it can be worked out in several ways. They recommend running errands until your character reaches a high enough level to sustain combat. I would suggest otherwise. Running errands will get you experience (most errands are in the government district unless you're lucky enough to run into a DM, which I havn't had that fortune). If you're having lag issues, it takes an insane amount of time. In addition, the errands are very dull. All you are doing is running from one building to the next and talking to people. This gets old very fast in my book and, while it may be a faster way of gathering experience, I would rather get it through fighting.

So if you decide that fighting is the way to go, there are several options available. I've found two places in the town area that are good training grounds. First there is the slums area. In the corners of the slums area, there is a respawning center for enemies. I believe you will find wererats in two of the corners and Goblins in the other two. It's easy to avoid the wererats corners, and Goblins are fairly easy picking for low-level characters. The slums area is also nice because a lot of the players for some reason don't frequent it there. The other area is the Crypt and the cemetary leading to the crypt. There is a lot of undead and the experience comes pretty quickly although the lower levels should only be frequented by stronger characters (or characters who can see hidden walls...don't get me started)

The second combat option is through critter-packs. I believe these can be purchased in the adventurers guild building for a reasonable price. You want to pick a pack that is the highest level difficulty that you can handle. Don't pick a pack that is out of your ball park. It isn't cool to see your entire team dead because you bite off more then you can chew. I learned that one the hard way.

The Team:
Ok, so we decide that we want to fight. Here's what I say you need. You need a few players who can tank, a few who can heal, and a few who are ranged/magic. Our greatest difficulty was that we were short a good healer and a good tank. The monk (especially early on) isn't exactly a tank, even though he is a front-line fighter. The Cleric can be a tank (if you decide that's the way you want to emphasise your character) but tanking and healing at the same time is very difficult. My character (bard) can heal, but that's not exactly her strong point. I'm also ranged/magic, but my role is more of support through buffs. My roommate is looking at being a rogue (not 100% on that). You can always use a rogue. I believe Blade said that he wanted to be a ranger. This will work well. KWhit being a figher would be very good to help round out the tank issues that our teams was facing, and if KWhit, Quik, and my roommate are the front line, Fritz could step back if he needs to to heal characters. It seems that all we would really need at this point is either a caster who heals and/or a combat caster or one who can do both. My character will try and throw out a healing spell or a combat spell, but don't expect much.

Combat Tactics:
As in warfare, concentration of force is a key. Fire scattered universally over an entire group is much less effective then fire centralized on one or two enemies at a time. Negation of an enemy trying to do the same is also key. So how does this work? When a fight starts, the front line must determine who the central focus should be. Most often, it's the closest enemy. The responsibility of the closest front line person is to choose the target. If we only have two front line, then the second front line must engage whoever threatens the first front line character. (I understand that sometimes this simply isn't feasible, but work with me a little). For example, a cleric, monk, or cleric, monk and rogue. the cleric is more of a tank (higher AC and hit points) then a rogue, so he will most likely be the tank of choice. In this scenario, the monk responsibility would be to ensure that the Cleric isn't double-teamed. If the rogue is in the picture, he's trying to get a sneak-attack in, but a rogue can never be counted on as a pure front-line character. Throw a fighter in and you now have a 2 target front. Also, if there is a 2-target front with the addition of another front-line fighter, the cleric can step back and focus on being primarily a healer if need be (and situation determining).

The second part is the ranged. The ranged plays the most pivital part of the concentration of firepower because ranged weapons are much easier to control then non-ranged. Simply put, the ranged characters are responsible for focusing the team fire on individual enemies.

General rules of thumb:
Front line characters should have cure potions while ranged characters should have heal kits. (While this is a general rule, all characters should at least have one of both). Reasoning...cure potions are for giving instant recovery while in combat. This is most needed by front-line fighters who are receiving the greatest pounding. Heal kits, however, can be used by a player on anyone (especially on a dying/dead individual) which is more often then not a front-line character.

Early on, healing is the most important factor in combat (level 1/2/3 characters have so few hitpoints) while later, spells and buffs play a greater role.

Teamwork is the name of the game. The longer a group can stay together, the more enjoyable the experience. Also, it seems that it is better to have a group of similiar experience levels. It's no fun being a tag-along or being the one doing all the work. If you can get a group together and keep it (as much as possible) it gives way to good role-play and makes the whole experience that much better.

Well, I'm sure that I've missed something...it is 4:30 in the morning after all. Yawn...I think I'm finally going to go to bed. If you have any comments/criticism/whatever, please post! I would like to hear what you have to say.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 AM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

Strider - do you have an easy way to get hold of the character who went by "Perik" last night? (Is that you rroommate?)

If so, I think my character is holding his belongings, including a key which seemed important. I don't know the best way to get it all back to him, but I "looted" with an intent to provide safe keeping.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:06 AM   #54
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I am unsure how I feel about a party as large as it got last night.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:32 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

Anyone find a reliable place to pick up healing potions? They seem very scarce, I only stumble across one from time to time.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:33 AM   #56
QuikSand
lolzcat

The lag was awful last night... and we also got in over our heads in terms of strength of opposition. Need to get most everyone over level one before we head into the crypts, I think.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:35 AM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

By the way, does anyone know... I'm carrying around not only Perik's things, but his corpse as well. I'm nearly encumbered, because the body weights over 100 units. Do I need to keep hauling this thing around?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #58
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
By the way, does anyone know... I'm carrying around not only Perik's things, but his corpse as well. I'm nearly encumbered, because the body weights over 100 units. Do I need to keep hauling this thing around?

Quik - If we can meet up I can loan you my magin bag (%40). that will help for a while.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 AM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

I am another of the many who played Neverwinter a bit and went on to other things. I didn't get that far in the game-the peninsula district with the prison is where I'm at now, and I've never done multiplayer. But I played the game again this morning for the first time in ages, and would like to try multiplayer now. If you are willing to let an inexperience NWN player join you, let me know which character class is most needed.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:18 AM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dan/Thomkal, feel free to join in. You need to aply for a password to the site - there's a link at the top of this thread. Our group could probably use another bruiser (fighter, paladin, barbarian, whatever) but feel free to play what you like.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #61
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Be good to have you with us Dan.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:38 AM   #62
Blade
College Prospect

Hey guys...sorry, I wasn't around much last night...I will try to get on tonight and hopefully meet up with you all.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #63
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm an occasional lurker here.. this looks like a good game setup so I've applied. I can't be online a lot, especially at night, but if I run into you guys I'll give a FOF holler. I usually play spellcasters, but may try a rogue as probably a more survivable character type.. I also like to play Paladins.

Dang, I've got to reinstall NWN now..
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #64
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidhe

Dang, I've got to reinstall NWN now..

be sure to patch it up.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #65
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I don't even have the game, but I just signed up. I will pick up the game tonight.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #66
Bonegavel

Dola,

I guess if things get out of hand (as far as too many players) why don't we split it up and get several groups going?

Oh, BTW, mind if I join in? :-)

Old 04-24-2003, 04:51 PM   #67
ACStrider
High School JV

Everyone - I will in fact be on tonight, so if you're looking for a partner, PM me. If I don't get back in touch with you, I might already be in the game, in which case, when you get into the game press [enter] (to send a message), type "/tp Jacylopes" and then the message, and enter again to send. My character name is Arena Helerin.

Quik - you can dump the body...it only applies to resurrection and as a "container" for the items until you do. I did run into him last night after the server crashed and was asking about his stuff (good to know that it didn't just disappear...I had that happen to me once, not fun). (that wasn't my roommie btw). Maybe I should hold onto his stuff because for one reason or another I'm running into him often.

Fritz - There are times where you have too many characters, so, yes, that is an issue. IMO, seven is a good number. It isn't very good in tight places like buildings, crypts, or narrow caves, but in conversation with other people, a lot of action occurs past the town in wooded areas. This is much more condusive to larger groups. Also, I'm the kind of person that gets bored quickly by running errands for experience. If I'm playing, I want to fight (ironic considering that I have a bard). The problem is that at the current level, the only way that we can survive is to have a large group. As a group, we need to get in the habit of casting the cure spells a lot quicker. Once we get some more hit points, it will be less of an issue.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #68
ACStrider
High School JV

Dola...

BoneGavel, Sidhe, and Thomkal - feel free to join...I'm positive that we won't have everyone playing at the same time, so we'll accept everyone (or at least I speak for myself). Just basing what I'm seeing from what we have so far, we could use a tank (Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Cleric*) or a combat caster of sorts (Wizard, Sorc, Druid, Cleric*). A monk, rogue, or bard probably will be overkill of those categories and counterproductive (especially a bard). The little asterisk is because a Cleric character can decide to emphasise either casting or tanking. Fritz, it would be good to know what direction you want your character to take.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:29 PM   #69
Bonegavel

Just installed the game and patched the hell out of it and I'm just waiting for the password to come from the site.

Old 04-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #70
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

you might be waiting a day...
Old 04-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #71
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Mine came right away, but I did apply this morning.

Now, waiting for the patch to finish over 56k.. *that* took some time!

So I'll try the game out tonight, though I think I'll try to figure out how it all works on a laptop before I try to join anyone. It's a bit different with this touchpad thing.

But between paladin and mage what do you guys wish for? Mages are real stinkers at first level. If it's mage, let me know what spells you'd want too, if it strikes yer fancy, before I go and load up on the fire magic like I always do..

If it's paladin, I'll probably do an undead hunter..

I'm not really leaning one way or the other at the moment. Though the though occurs to me I could go Elf mage and double class for more hitpoints. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:27 PM   #72
ACStrider
High School JV

Hey guys...just got done gaming a bit...(rather pathetic...didn't work as planned)

Wanna try and get together at 10 PM CST?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #73
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I will come back on if I can. Might role a new guy.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #74
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm still waiting for my password, as I also signed up this morning, so hopefully I'll be ready tomorrow.

Probably going to play a paladin or a druid.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:19 PM   #75
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

!

Well I got in there and saw some of you talking in front of the tavern. But I couldn't find the chat! I found "quick chat" but that didn't seem to be what was needed.. so I strolled around mapping the city. Then the server crashed..

But before it did, I found the chat bar, plain as day, under the windows I'd been reading..

Hey, at least I got a "quest" to find garlic root.

Anyway, I am a Sorcerer. This is the first time I've played one. I hope I'll see you guys again. This time I'll know how to talk to you.

My name was Sidhe Mansidhe. I didn't ever stop to save, so I am not sure I still exist..
Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #76
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

we saw you a few times, but you ran by

Last edited by Fritz : 04-24-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 11:59 PM   #77
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Well I couldn't just stand there! What would you have thought if I had stood there making faces? I was a little embarassed.. where's my dang manual..

I found the chatbar right as you guys were setting up to leave. You had asked that other female character to join you, but then she didn't, because I saw her later. If I had had my stuff together I'd have gone with, but we still would have crashed out, unfortunately.

You don't happen to know what happens to characters that haven't saved when that happens, do you?
Old 04-25-2003, 12:08 AM   #78
ACStrider
High School JV

Yeah, the chatacters are saved...don't worry. Simple way of talking...press enter, type the message, press enter. If you want to send a PM to someone, press enter, then tp "player name (not character name)", message, then enter.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:13 AM   #79
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

OK cool, thanks!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:06 PM   #80
Bonegavel

Nice! Just received my passwords.

What server is everyone on?

Old 04-25-2003, 04:36 PM   #81
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

the first
Old 04-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #82
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

I really wish I could join also, but I think my family would freak out if I started playing on-line Role playing again(former 37th lvl cleric in everquest).

I was wondering if someone would consider starting a dynasty for this. I would love to hear about your adventures and misadventures
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:10 PM   #83
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by superbama
(former 37th lvl cleric in everquest)

/crocodile dundee mode=true

Bah humbug, that's not an addiction.

55 enchanter
52 cleric
52 paladin
52 bard
51 magician
51 rogue
51 shaman
51 druid
51 wizard
38 beastlord
36 monk
23 shadowknight
22 warrior

THAT'S an addiction!

/croc

So, 'bama, what's real life like? I hear they have sunshine and everything...
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #84
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Sunshine? I'm from Seattle.

Yeah Everquest was pretty cool. I've been clean off it for 3 years now(ever since my child was born, his name is Bristlebane Superbama )
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:12 PM   #85
ACStrider
High School JV

As most of you know by now, my character is a bard. Today I participated in a bardic festival. I didn't win the competition, but did have a few fans cheer for me to win, and got personal praise from the festival director. (also got some experience for singing) I've gotten to team up with Fritz and QuikSand once, and have made contacts with some pretty cool characters. My best guess is that to have a successful gaming experience, you need to coordinate a time and place to meet (before entering the game) and have a destination agreed upon as well. Otherwise, you spend too much time trying to recruit a team together or don't have waste time running in circles.

To new players, I've found a good place to gather experience and gold rather quickly. The firebeatle quests is solid. If you go to the marketplace (follow the city gate where you start to the government district, keep going in the gov district to the market) and go to the opposite end, you come to an exit to the docks district. When you get in the docks, take a quick right and follow it around. The first sewers grate that you come across should have some city guards and some fire beetles that spawn from that location. At level 3 I was getting 6 experience for each fire beatle (better then most monsters). Worried about low hit points? No fear. THE CITY GUARDS KILL THE BEATLES! So if you want, you don't have to do any fighting at all...just sit there and soak up experience.

Ok, so the beatles are killed by the guards (2 at a time)...now what. Collect their bellies after they dissappear. A few minutes later, a few more beatles will come out. (respawning) process repeats itself.

Ok, you have a lot of fire beatle bellies...now what? Go back to the market. There should be two columns of markets. Go to the first vendor of the column not directly in front of you (a little to your right). There should be a little boy there who is looking for fire beatle bellies. EVERY FIRE BEATLE BELLY WILL GIVE YOU 25 EXP (so in essence, a 3rd level character is getting 31 experience for EACH kill), AND A FIRE POTION (excellent for low level casters who are looking for a way of casting). Have no need for fire potions? Sell them...good money. Well, that's my advice. I might be on late tonight...if so, I'll post here what time. Otherwise, have fun everyone!

Last edited by ACStrider : 04-25-2003 at 07:13 PM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:23 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Still no password alas.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:34 AM   #87
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

If NwN is good for anything it's the MP Mode but too many people on 1 server is no fun ...maybe I'll sign up anyway .
Old 04-26-2003, 01:53 AM   #88
Bonegavel

my first hurdle was my firewall. I'm too stupid to know how to add an ipchains entry for the right ports. So, I bypass my firewall and plug the dsl right into my windows box. Success. Pain in the ass, but I can play.

My second hurdle is my lack of play ettiquette. I found a guy's corpse and looted the hell out of it. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I found a set of full plate that I sold for 1300 gold. :-)

If I'm not banned, look for me under the pen-name Bone Gavel. As you can see, I thought long and hard over a character name.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #89
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

D'Oh! Yer a marked man, BoneGavel.

I won't be on for a couple.. draft stuff, ya know..

Thansk for the hints for levelups ACStrider.. a first level mage is about as useful as a tick..
Old 04-26-2003, 01:23 PM   #90
QuikSand
lolzcat

Glad to se a few familiar faces on board at this site. Has promise...

I may be on a bit this afternoon, with one eye on the draft.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #91
QuikSand
lolzcat

It appears that you now need a hakpak to play on the Avlis server. (Link below)

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpack...79582033.shtml

I have downloaded the file, but its format is something I don't recognize: *.rar

I don't know how to open this, or use it. Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #92
QuikSand
lolzcat

It apperas that you need this software to unlock the *.rar file... what a weird decision.

http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?lang=eng&aid=download&PHPSESSID=f6f38f1b145d441bd704a980c0dc7ceb
Old 04-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #93
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

It's a zipper, like winzip. A lot of people prefer it, though obviously it isn't "the standard". I think it works fine and you won't regret having the rar program, because this won't be the last rar you ever see.

What hack is that? I mean the name? I won't be going off to Avlis today..
Old 04-26-2003, 02:51 PM   #94
QuikSand
lolzcat

The hack apparedntly allows some special subraces, and some better representations of characters' images. Seems all good to me.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:56 PM   #95
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

anyone know how to access the subraces?
Old 04-26-2003, 03:00 PM   #96
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

this tileset is also needed

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpacks/data/1051379582033.shtml
Old 04-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #97
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fritz, there are instructions for using thee subraces on the site where the update pack is downloaded. Seems you need to use an outside utility.

Also, that tileset is only needed if you go into the wilderness areas... I haven't gotten it yet. That must be what we ran into back when we tried to go north of Mikona the other evening.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #98
ACStrider
High School JV

I have the rest of the night free, so I'll be in and out...I ran into HFP last night (he went out and bought the game at Walmart), so maybe we'll run into him too (I took a stab in the dark that Hornace Purpletoad was him...maybe it was a safe bet). Anyway, he's a half-orc barbarian. Anyway...see you all around!
Old 04-26-2003, 05:34 PM   #99
Anthony
Banned

how does this game rate among the other MMORPG's? i didn't know this game was a persistent world. how much per month?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #100
ACStrider
High School JV

HA - The game is free. I like it a lot, although at times it has problems with lag and timing out of servers.

A couple of notes - I would like to amend my earlier note on experience a bit. It seems that they have put things in place to keep people from doing an endless stream of activities (good call on their part). After a certain experience level, you no longer get 25 exp when you return fire bellies to the vendor in the market. You still get a fire potion (which sells for 50 gp each), but no longer the experience.

It's okay, though because after you have enough hit points, there is a better way to get experience. In the market, there is a store called the Adventurer's guild. There you can buy Packs of monsters (basically pay for experience), so somewhere, activate the packs, and fight off the creatures that spawn. Towards the end, you have to fight tougher characters, but it's easily the fastest way to gain experience. If you kill all the monsters, then you even get a chest of items that covers the cost of the pack (not bad, huh?). You don't want to try doing this, though, until you're around level 3, and you want to think easy on the difficulty.

Notes on the sub-races...
The avlis website says that in order to have an established character, and have to have demonstrated that you have rollplayed characters that you have used correctly. There are also a lot of files that have to be downloaded and permissions granted. (Basically, there is a screening process involved)