Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2003, 10:01 PM   #151
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
I have a general D&D 3E question since I sold my player manual a while back... I think it would be really cool for my druid to wield a scythe (I don't even know if its a good weapon, but a druid with a scythe seems cool to me), but its an exotic weapon and druids can never get that proficiency. If I gain a level as a fighter, can I take that weapon proficiency and use a scythe or I am I forever limited to "druid" weapons no matter how I multiclass my character?

daim, you should be able to get exotic without doing that. First you must take the "martial" proficiency, then you should be able to take exotic.

better to take a level of figher though. You gain access to all regular weapons, and all armor and shileds right away
Old 05-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #152
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The other night I got Daim killed, and tonight it was critch. My rampage against the FOBL is on.

Dan, you're next.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:08 PM   #153
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

super dola

6th level is suck ass for a wizard
Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 PM   #154
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm going to be heading into Avlis now in case you're still around fritz.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:40 PM   #155
Critch
lolzcat

One minute I'm heading towards the mines with Fritz and Quik, Fritz talking about "protecting" me, next minute I'm running around heaven in my underwear having been ripped to shreds by a big kitty and some of it's skeleton friends.

The return journey to reclaim our bodies was much more successful though..

Definetly much more fun as a multiplayer game.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:02 PM   #156
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
The other night I got Daim killed, and tonight it was critch. My rampage against the FOBL is on.

Dan, you're next.

I was going to make a post about not being experienced at D & D, and that maybe I would be a liability, but I'm relieved now that I read this.

I'm sure I can get lots of people killed. Matter of fact, I bet I'm good at it.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:07 PM   #157
Calis
College Starter

Man, I might have to give this a go after all, I really enjoyed the SP mods and such for NWN, I've never got into MP yet, maybe this will be the push I need to start, sounds like a blast.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:14 AM   #158
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Wierdness

I was roaming the docks when I came across a body. I checked it out and it turned out to be Critch, but Critch was not on. Looking at the stuff on the body, I am sure that it is the missing critch body from the displacer mines. Of course I looted it.

Critch, I had to sell your stuff because I am not strong enough to carry it all for very long. I owe you about 500gp.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:52 AM   #159
Daimyo
College Starter

hmm.. looks like the server crashed almost as soon as we entered the sewers...
Old 05-03-2003, 01:49 AM   #160
Anthony
Banned

man, i can't wait for SWG. who here is planning on getting the game. i just don't know if Hell Atlantic is a nice Star Wars name, so i'm still thinking what it'll be.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 06:02 AM   #161
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think I'm going to start a thread in the dynasty section - for in-game discussions about things to do, and places to go in Avlis.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:27 AM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Dan, you're next.

Fritz,

The Gods know that I'd like to give you that chance, but I have not been able to get into Avlis or other servers since the time I briefly spoke to you in game. Get all the way to the point where the game is loading the starting area for my cleric and boom the monitor goes blank, and I have to reboot as mentioned in the post above.

I think the Gods don't want me to play in Avlis.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #163
KWhit
Coordinator

I've had trouble too. The last 3 times I actually connected to Avlis, I had a crash to desktop. This never happened in the singleplayer game, so I don't get it. I'm going to keep trying but it's getting frustrating.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:12 AM   #164
Daimyo
College Starter

For the people having troubles, did you install the extra files required for Avlis that Quik and Fritz listed above?

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/hakpack...79582033.shtml

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-03-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #165
Anthony
Banned

i broke down and picked up this game. submitted my application. i think i'm gonna try being an Elven Paladin. i'm gonna screw around a bit on the gamespy MP and get my feet wet.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #166
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey, this all looks pretty sharp. Wish I didn't avoid the thread for 2-3 weeks. I had a choice of Morrowind or NWN last year and went with Morrowind (I don't regret that decision, BTW).

But this sounds like a lot of fun, especially on a well-run server. I have never gotten into Evercrack or the other MMORPs, though, so if I did this it would be a completely new experience, if yoy guys can handle a total MP newbie.

Anyway, how much is this game going for now? I am working on a budget, of course.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #167
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Chief: The extent of my online experience is about two hours worth of Diablo I, so I'm in the same boat.

I got the game on Ebay for $23.50, including shipping. There are a lot of copies for sale there and it seems like they are going for about $20 plus shipping. I think GoGamer is selling new copies for $29.99, but every other place I checked was a disappointing $39.99.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:09 PM   #168
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Rum, Blitz

I had never done any of the "fantasy" online gaming. The ONLY thing I dont like about this one is the server crash ( a few times a night) and occasional bug.

Most folks will give you a hand when you need one.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #169
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Spent an hour tonight reading some of the Avlis forum threads. Some interesting discussions over there, especially for someone who hasn't played any pen & paper roleplaying. One of the things that I kept running into is the idea of truly "roleplaying" your character, in other words, playing your game character in line with his/her stats, alignment, and attributes, and not just wandering around playing as yourself.

I was wondering, how much does everyone here try to truly "roleplay" their character?

One of the discussions that I found interesting in this regard was about roleplaying intelligence, charisma, and wisdom. On example (taken from the the thread that I linked to at the bottom of this post):

If you character is a moron, but you the player, see a solution to a problem before other members of your party do, do you solve the problem for your party? The basic idea is that while you as a player may have made an insight into how to solve the problem, there is little likelihood that your character would, and if you solve the problem for your party, you are "playing out of character".

Interesting stuff, for a newbie, and I was curious as to how everyone else is approaching the concept.

This will take you to the Discussion on Role-Playing Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-04-2003 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:37 AM   #170
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

GB, I have seen discussions like that brfore. What becomes impossible to overcome is your natural limitations. Sure, you can dumb down to rolepaly, but you can not incease your RL abilities to match the ones you play. So I think it is a wash.

I have been in a party or two that seems to equate role with roll and they use the damn dice function all the itime. errrrrr

I have a character guideline for my gnone and I stick to that, mostly.

Last edited by Fritz : 05-05-2003 at 05:37 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #171
Daimyo
College Starter

In some regards I think that makes wizards a challenge to role play well because in general a wizard will be much smarter than the person behind the wizard. Same with charisma... if you're a naturally shy person or someone who lacks tact or "people skills" its tough to roleplay a character with lots of charisma.

Maybe that's why most people tend toward fighter types. Its extremely easy to roleplay STR, DEX, and CON.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-05-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #172
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I finally reached 2nd level thanks to Quik! I stupidly purchased the Medium Rat Pack and wasted 363 gp before finding out it is broken in the game. After that, I picked up a few of the working rat packs and they really give you tons of experience and a decent reward at the end. I can't wait until i am ready to "role" with the group.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #173
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Last night I noticed that all the rat packs seem to have been replaced with just one type.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #174
KWhit
Coordinator

Where do you find the ratpacks?
Old 05-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #175
Thomkal
Head Coach

You can buy them from the seller in the adventurer's guild in the marketplace-the building next to the boy who has the fire beetle quest-south central part of the map. The seller is off to your right as you enter in the bar/tavern area.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-05-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #176
KWhit
Coordinator

Cool. Thanks Thom.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:37 PM   #177
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Cool. Thanks Thom.

use care when selecting a location to launch them
Old 05-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #178
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Anyone have a clue why my characters do not show up? Is anyone getting this?
Old 05-05-2003, 04:52 PM   #179
Critch
lolzcat

I've just signed on and mine is showing up ok, so it's not affecting me. Or effecting me. Never remember which is right.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #180
Daimyo
College Starter

My character is gone as well. THey had a server crash this weekend. Hopefully it will be restored soon (although you have to ask them to do it for you).
Old 05-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #181
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Game arrived yesterday. Installed, patched, downloaded hak files, logged in, and walked around about in the inn for a few minutes. Everything seemed to work fine. Logged off and played the single player tutorial for a while to get a feel for the interface, which seems pretty easy to use.

Quick question:

Could someone tell me where and when it is considered proper etiquette to log off of Avlis? I imagine you're not supposed to just log off in the middle of a fight or a conversation, but are there only special places where you should log off? Can you just log off anywhere if you are alone? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey all,

I finally caved and went and got this today. I haven't installed it yet, or downloaded the patches or even applied for a password to the server yet, but I thought I would let you all know.

I'm going to go back to the beginning of this thread and find out how to apply, so I can get that apparently lengthy process started. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you? And is there anything I should avoid putting on this application (like "I like to kill other PCs for fun" or "I want to undermine the game's power structure", etc. )?

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:48 PM   #183
QuikSand
lolzcat

GB - The only warnings I have seen are not to log off during action... don't log off as a cop out to avlid dying when youre in trouble... play it out. Other than that, I just suggest being discreet, use common sense. Don't want people blinking in and out all the time.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:07 PM   #184
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

QS: Thank you, sir. I played about thirty minutes this afternoon and got a better sense of what's going on as well. Just walked around in the town for a bit. My first job was from a little boy. I got hired to go get some holy water. I feel like such a hero.

Now I have two errands to run, but can't seem to find anything. Game looks interesting, though.

Chief: I don't think they're picky, but claiming you are 15 years old and applying in leet speak are probably not the best strategy. I left a few of the answers blank. They got back to me in a day.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #185
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Despite my app being accepted, I'm having no luck connecting to the server(s) with the password(s) I was given...
Old 05-09-2003, 06:28 AM   #186
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm still waiting on the password.

How long does it take?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:39 AM   #187
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dunno, Bee - mine came after one day, but it seems varied.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:06 AM   #188
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bee,

Took me three tries at the application before I got a response. Did it through Internet Explorer instead of AOL, and that got me my password at last.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #189
Bee
Pro Starter

Well, it's been a few days...guess I'll try submitting the application again.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So can anyone give me a list of patches and what not to add to this game? I went to the NWN Community Web Page and found out about the Update button, so I am having that done right now (my guess is that is the main way to patch this).

But I am reading here in this thread about other things to download, too. What are these other things and where do I get them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Chief Rum

P.S. Still waiting on my password. Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Old 05-09-2003, 05:25 PM   #191
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
So can anyone give me a list of patches and what not to add to this game? I went to the NWN Community Web Page and found out about the Update button, so I am having that done right now (my guess is that is the main way to patch this).

But I am reading here in this thread about other things to download, too. What are these other things and where do I get them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Chief Rum

P.S. Still waiting on my password. Hopefully I'll get it soon.

the updater on NWN will get you to 1.29, that is the first part.

then, add all the "hak packs" linked here :

http://avlis.blackparadox.com/downloads.php