Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Would you give Daunte Culpepper 100 million dollars?

Big Red says yes

bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
LMAO
Old 05-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
vtbub
College Starter

Big Red is dumb.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

That is way to much money for Culpepper. After the season he had last year I would have expected him to get a contract much similar to the one Aaron Brooks signed during training camp last year, around 6 years 36 million- with half the signing bonus after this season just to make sure he is worth it. That is just way to much money to give a QB who only threw 18 TDs and a lot more INTs last year.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
That is way to much money for Culpepper. After the season he had last year I would have expected him to get a contract much similar to the one Aaron Brooks signed during training camp last year, around 6 years 36 million- with half the signing bonus after this season just to make sure he is worth it. That is just way to much money to give a QB who only threw 18 TDs and a lot more INTs last year.

Not to mention they were on the verge of benching him last year and he's showed absolutely no leadership qualities as half the time he's the one throwing the fits with moss.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #6
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Daunte's agent must be a miracle worker. This is waaaaaay too much money to be throwing at a quarterback whose learning curve has resembled a two-humped camel back. This deal will tie up a good chunk of the Vikes' cap for years and years.

And speaking as a Packers fan, I can say that I am pleased to see this development.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

I definately think they could have gotten him cheaper... but I'd be interested to see the particulars of the deal... It's a 10 year contract, and I'd bet my left nut most of that $100 million is backloaded in the last 4-5 years.

For that contract length, $16 million "in guarantees" (I'm assuming that means "signing bonus") isn't really that much. There's a better chance of the Cardinals winning the Super Bowl this year than there is of Daunte playing out that entire contract.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

He'll get most of that money.

This has been a test of the Emergency Sarcasm Network. Had this been an actual bit of truth, the attention statement you just read would have been followed by a picture of the thermometer in hell.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #9
kid_dynamite
Mascot

as i bears fan i can happily say this was a great move
Old 05-09-2003, 02:15 PM   #10
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Once he reaches 30 yrs of age, he will be cut.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #11
FBPro
College Starter

Ouch.....can you say waste or is it waist?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:36 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Worst....Contract Extension....Ever
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
cmp
Pro Rookie

Just like the rest of the NFC North, Lions fans like the signing to.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:15 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You can't give that kind of contract to anyone except a proven guy. He's not a Bret Favre or Donovan McNabb and until he plays like one, his contract extension should look like second tier QBs like the Aaron Brooks and Trent Green's of the world.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

Wow. I'm giving him another year before determining wheather or not I'll keep him on as my fantasy quarterback and the Vikings are giving him 100 million?

Having said all of that. . . I'm not sure I'd call it the worst ever or even THAT far out of line. Culpepper has been a starter in the league for 3 seasons. Go look up your favorite QB's first three seasons and compare the statistics of him vs. Culpepper.

Career completion rate of 62%+, all three years his yards per pass attempt number has been above 7. He needs to learn to hold onto the football. He needs to become a bit more of a team leader (though he did show some signs of that as last year progressed). Still, there are signs there that he could explode into one of the best QB's in the league. What happens if he does that this year and he hits the market next year?

Besides, from what I hear about the deal, only 16 million is going into Daunte's hands for sure. A lot of that 100 million is backlogged. He'll be a proven superstar by the time he's getting the big money, or he'll be a backup somewhere else after having been released.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
You can't give that kind of contract to anyone except a proven guy. He's not a Bret Favre or Donovan McNabb and until he plays like one, his contract extension should look like second tier QBs like the Aaron Brooks and Trent Green's of the world.

SI

I wouldn't even give McNabb that kind of money. I don't think there are too many QB's out there in the league right now that I'd consider proven and "top tier" - meaning 4+ years playing at an outstanding level. Favre is the only active QB that comes to mind.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #17
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
It's a 10 year contract, and I'd bet my left nut most of that $100 million is backloaded in the last 4-5 years.

Are you exhibiting testicle favoritism, or did you select that nut at random?
Old 05-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #18
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'd agree with what is stated above that this contract is heavily backloaded, much like the contract McNabb signed. McNabb has a very resonable cap number in I believe the first 4 years of his contract than it gets ridiculous, so they will either cut him or re-negotiate. I would imagine Dante's contract is very similar. Because a 16 million dollar signing bonus is 1.6 million per year plus a salary around 3 million per for the first 4 years than it goes through the roof. I'd bet in his last year his base pay is near 15 million.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #19
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This may be the best move of the offseason for us Packer fans.

Arlie
Old 05-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #20
CAsterling
High School JV

I wouldn't give Culpepper 10 million let alone 100 Million (even if it is a backloaded contract).

They should have let him be a free agent next year and signed Brunell when he becomes available - or got Griese/Lucas this year (I really don't rate then very highly, but I think they are better than Culpepper).
Old 05-09-2003, 05:58 PM   #21
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I think he will surprise a lot of people (again) this year because he will have a decent line and the D is much better. 100 mil is probably a bit much, but he will do good things IMHO.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

CA,

Wow. I disagree 100%. I'm not one of Culpepper's biggest fans, and I'm one of Griese's biggest supporters. Yet there is no way Griese or Lucas are even close to the Culpepper class.

Brunell's performence the last couple of years is also inferior to Culpepper's. (Yes, even with the bad year he had last year)

I know a lot of people want to shred Daunte (and I've been one of them), but to make those type of statements is absurd IMO. For comparisons sake, Brunell has 3 seasons of over 7 yppa and 60%+ completion in his 8 years as a starting QB. Griese did it in 2 of his 4 years as a starter. (we won't even get into Lucas)

Culpepper is three for three. Granted, the turnovers have to be cut down on. (far and away his biggest problem) Still, only Brunell has did a heck of a lot better in that category over his career of the players you mentioned.

This is one of those 50/25/25 deals. If Culpepper cuts down on the turnovers and has a big year, the Vikings made a brilliant move here. If he's average, they still get decent value for the first couple of years of the deal. The only way it is horrific is if he gets worse. I don't think that is likely to happen.

TroyF
Old 05-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #23
CAsterling
High School JV

TroyF,

I can't argue thats stats wise Culpepper looks good, but I have never been able to consider him as a good QB.

My problem with him is he plays in a system that made Jeff George and Randall Cunningham look great, and yet he hasn't looked that brilliant (even Todd Bowman (sp?) looked good during his starts).

Culpepper should be with his skills a dominant player in the NFL, yet he is IMO one of those players who will always be described as having great potential, yet never actually achieves much.

I look at Culpepper and he reminds me too much of Cunningham in his days with the Eagles - looked good, superstar qualities, but the team was better off without him.

Brunell and Griese even though they may have lessor individual skills will IMO help the team more - Lucas I threw in for comedy value.

You may be right, but only time will tell.

CA.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:45 PM   #24
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Folks, it's a football contract. The total dollar value is meaningless. All that matter is the cap impact over the next few years. As people have said, it's almost surely backloaded. I'll never understand why these agents insist on these huge deals that everyone knows will lead to a release... ego, maybe?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #25
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Regardless of the cap impact, he's being overpaid. He doesn't appear to handle pressure well and makes some questionable decisions. Some media types like to put him up there in the elite class of QBs, but he's not.
I wonder how much of that is guarenteed money?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Colt,

What media types have put him among the elite?

CA,

I think it's just a bit quick and a bit harsh to throw the book at Culpepper yet. Again, he's struggled, but look at most 3 year veteran QB's. Most of them do a heck of a lot worse than Daunte.

We'll see what happens this year, he may well indeed fail. Still, he's accomplished more than Brian Griese ever has (repeat, I'm a Griese supporter) even in team performence.

The Vikings still need to get the guy a #2 WR. Moss is great, but there is no reliability anywhere else in the WR department. A healthy Chamberlan all year will help.

TroyF
Old 05-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #27
kid_dynamite
Mascot

i agree that we cant say that culpepper is a rediculous QB to sign, he is young and has time to learn. but worth 100 mill? i dont really know about that. maybe he will be, maybe he wont. so i guess if the contract is backloaded and they can cut him if it doesnt pan out, then this negotiation works for minnesota. to be honest i dont see him becoming a 100 million dollar QB though!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:30 PM   #28
tucker342
Pro Starter

Stupid...
Wow the Vikings are looking good, with a WR that only plays when he wants to, a QB that's getting 100 million and a front office that can't even get their draft pick in on time...

PATHETIC FRANCHISE!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:38 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
Are you exhibiting testicle favoritism, or did you select that nut at random?

Completely random - I could just have easily bet my right or middle nut...

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 05-09-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:56 PM   #30
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Troy,

I guess it's actually the league....and the networks. Culpepper seems to be hyped up by most of them. Moss gets his press time, of course, but Culpepper seems to be right with him. That could be, in part, to a lack of other talent the Vikings have to promote. At least to a casual NFL fan.

I agree you can't be too harsh on him considering his age, but they proclaimed him the next great QB a little too soon, and he definitely took a step back last year. People seem to forget how good Moss, Carter, and Smith, can make a QB look.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #31
TroyF
Coordinator

CC,

Agree, BUT many of those same people forget how tough it is to play with a WR who doesn't try half the time (remember, at lest 5 of Culpeppers INT's were a direct result of Randy not trying), and a coach with suspect play calling. Right?

TroyF
Old 05-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

Looks like someone want to dispell the rumors that he's cheap...

This doesn't have much affect on this year. If Culpepper is able to cut down on his turnovers, the defense is improved at all levels, offensive line should be better, and Bennett should have another good year, Kleinsasser should help anchor the blocking again. Only really big question is who will step up and be the #2 reciever on a team that seems to have plenty of guys who'd be good #3 recievers.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #33
bbor
Pro Starter

Can he play a hundred years

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote