Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2024, 11:43 AM   #901
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Ten percent means he can't come up with ~40M. Some billionaire.

But watch, he'll be allowed to weasel out of having to post a bond somehow.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM   #902
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Ten percent means he can't come up with ~40M. Some billionaire.

But watch, he'll be allowed to weasel out of having to post a bond somehow.

I don't think anyone is just accepting 10% from Trump on a judgement this large. My guess it's a combination of not feeling this number is ever getting reduced and him not showing enough liquidable assets to make anyone feel comfortable that they'd ever see the money back.

I think the president thing may be a negative for him too. You're not going to be able to sue him until he's out office and he's likely dead either by then or by the time any lawsuit to get money back comes around.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #903
miked
College Starter

The guy has made his fortune by not paying people what he's agreed to and suing them. That and the judgement is for inflating assets to get good loan terms. Would you lend a guy millions who has never paid anyone back and lied about how much he's worth?
Old 03-18-2024, 01:07 PM   #904
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

No. I wouldn't. But I'm not a Saudi Prince with billions lying around who might want to get in good with the possible future President.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:13 PM   #905
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
No. I wouldn't. But I'm not a Saudi Prince with billions lying around who might want to get in good with the possible future President.

They probably feel they already have more than enough leverage on him.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:31 PM   #906
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They already gave Jared $2 billion!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM   #907
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the problem is that actually giving him the money will actually lessen the chance that he'll be president, because the Dems will make so much hay out of a foreign power giving him so much money directly to pay his legal debts.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:52 PM   #908
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
the problem is that actually giving him the money will actually lessen the chance that he'll be president, because the Dems will make so much hay out of a foreign power giving him so much money directly to pay his legal debts.

You are giving the Dems way too much credit.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #909
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And the voters.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:49 PM   #910
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if the "Trump is corrupt" line works much anymore. I feel like after 8 years of this, people have made up their mind on that. It's worth noting I guess but you're either fine with what he is or you're not.

Still think they should focus almost exclusively on abortion. The IVF ruling in Alabama should be a HUGE talking point and mentioning how many other states have similar laws on the books. You can tell with how many Republicans came out saying they support IVF and their weird SOTU rebuttal that they're terrified of that issue gaining traction.

My entire campaign would be "They banned abortion in states and want to ban it nationally. They banned IVF in states and want to ban it nationally. They are trying to ban birth control too."

But for some reason they're more focused on immigration and TikTok. Maybe they have data we don't.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:10 PM   #911
Ksyrup

That might work down ballot but Trump seems uniquely positioned to toe the line between strict anti-abortion and some moderation. He gave the religious right what they wanted for the Supreme Court so sure, the Dems can use that against him, but he's religious in political name only and was quick to talk down the Alabama decision and doesn't really seem to have a hardline position he's wed to because of his (lack of) religious affiliation.

Similar to the Social Security issue - GOPers all over the country are talking about cuts or raising retirement age (like the dude from GA who claims all sorts of people come up to him to tell him they want to continue working well past retirement age) and Trump is basically playing above the noise and saying he would protect SS.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-18-2024, 03:13 PM   #912
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That might work down ballot but Trump seems uniquely positioned to toe the line between strict anti-abortion and some moderation. He gave the religious right what they wanted for the Supreme Court so sure, the Dems can use that against him, but he's religious in political name only and was quick to talk down the Alabama decision and doesn't really seem to have a hardline position he's wed to because of his (lack of) religious affiliation.

Similar to the Social Security issue - GOPers all over the country are talking about cuts or raising retirement age (like the dude from GA who claims all sorts of people come up to him to tell him they want to continue working well past retirement age) and Trump is basically playing above the noise and saying he would protect SS.

It was his judges that overturned Roe. He's on video bragging about it. Part of the Democrats job is to tie all that to him. It's their best issue.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:26 PM   #913
Ksyrup

I understand. But he really doesn't care about the issue, and he's not at all tied into the religious right personally. He's whatever he wants to be on the issue to whomever he's speaking.

I'm not saying they shouldn't hammer the issue. But focusing "exclusively on abortion" against a guy who's gonna say "ehh, whatever" and the religious right will be perfectly fine with it, is not a great tactic because (a) he already gave them what they want and (b) it's not like they haven't looked past a bunch of other supposed sins that should make him a non-starter. He's different. If Trump's the vessel to continue to allow them to move toward the America they want, they are perfectly fine with that.

So I kinda see it that abortion will only hurt Trump (specifically) so much. But I'll be interested to see how he handles the issue. He jumped all over the IVF issue before any religious right politicians could establish the GOP position. I could easily see him waffle some on supporting some reasonable abortion restrictions that undercuts the extreme position most of the religious right are in favor of.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-18-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:39 PM   #914
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
In short:

Someone gets a money judgment against you. You can appeal, but while the appeal is pending, they can start collecting from you (and would pay you back if you win the appeal). But if you post a bond, then they cannot start collecting from you.

To get the bond, you put up, like, 10% of the judgment amount and/or some collateral and the company puts up a bond with the court for the full amount. Then, if you lose the appeal and your assets have suddenly vanished overseas, they can collect their money from the bond company (who can then sue you for it, but if it has gotten to that point, good luck).

So you buy a bond from a company that sells bonds but it's only 10% of the rate and that COMPANY pays the full amount to the court?

WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT???????
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:39 PM   #915
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So you buy a bond from a company that sells bonds but it's only 10% of the rate and that COMPANY pays the full amount to the court?

WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT???????
They keep the 10%. Is is basically a ten percent loan. That's not actually as great a return as some investments, but it isn't bad. They only would do it if they feel pretty secure about getting the money back. That is the problem here. They don't feel like they can be sure they will get this money back.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:15 PM   #916
Edward64
Head Coach

I know they said bond/insurance companies don't take real estate as collateral.

Assuming the "bond agreement/contracts" are iron clad, I don't see why not? Trumps got some nice properties into Mar-a-Lago.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:24 PM   #917
Edward64
Head Coach

Coincidence? I think not.

I can see Trump cutting a deal with Musk for some sort of position if he wins.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/18/elon...for-money.html
Quote:
Elon Musk said his meeting with Donald Trump in Florida was not previously scheduled.

“I was at a breakfast at a friend’s place, and Donald Trump came by. That’s it,” Musk said in an interview with former CNN anchor Don Lemon.

Trump did not ask for a donation to his presidential campaign, said Musk, adding that he did not plan to loan Trump any money to pay his mounting legal bills.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:13 PM   #918
Atocep
Coordinator

SCOTUS rejected Peter Navarro's appeal and he'll become the first ever White House official jailed for contempt of congress sometime tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:24 PM   #919
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if they're going to still play around with Judge Cannon. She probably won't be able to stay on much longer with this kind of stuff if Smith fights it with the appeals court over and over. But maybe he doesn't care and just lets Cannon dismiss it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-18-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:47 PM   #920
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I know they said bond/insurance companies don't take real estate as collateral.

Assuming the "bond agreement/contracts" are iron clad, I don't see why not? Trumps got some nice properties into Mar-a-Lago.

He could still get a personal loan with the real estate as collateral. My guess is he is either lying to the court so he doesn't have to put up the money he never intends to pay or his real estate is so heavily leveraged that no one will touch it.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:36 PM   #921
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He could still get a personal loan with the real estate as collateral. My guess is he is either lying to the court so he doesn't have to put up the money he never intends to pay or his real estate is so heavily leveraged that no one will touch it.

Bet you a twinkle it is the first one
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:44 PM   #922
RainMaker
General Manager

Why not both?

Another arrest.

Pro-Trump attorney arrested after court hearing about leaked Dominion emails | CNN Politics
Old 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM   #923
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There is no way that Trump's real estate isn't highly leveraged. That's literally his way of doing business.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:05 AM   #924
Thomkal
Head Coach

Saw a funny tweet today:

https://twitter.com/DarrigoMelanie/s...90531784454306
Old 03-19-2024, 10:06 AM   #925
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Peter Navarro has until 2pm today to report to prison for his contempt of congress charges after going all the way to the Supreme Court to avoid it.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:09 AM   #926
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Peter Navarro has until 2pm today to report to prison for his contempt of congress charges after going all the way to the Supreme Court to avoid it.

I hope anarchy princess is there
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:14 AM   #927
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We'd all be talking about (high again) gas prices if Nikki Haley were the nominee.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:32 AM   #928
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Defiant to the end:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...09385727205537
Old 03-19-2024, 11:33 AM   #929
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Press conferences in the sort of sad strip-mall parking lots you pass on the way to prisons are not quite as impressive as those on the courthouse steps
Old 03-19-2024, 07:22 PM   #930
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure if they're going to still play around with Judge Cannon. She probably won't be able to stay on much longer with this kind of stuff if Smith fights it with the appeals court over and over. But maybe he doesn't care and just lets Cannon dismiss it.

This is insane. Legal folks are expecting Jack Smith to give Judge Cannon a chance to correct course here before he appeals. Assuming it hits appeal, it will be overturned 100%, and that would be her 3rd overturned ruling in this case already. That would very likely give him enough to get her off the case.

In other news, Trump is suing ABC because he claims he's legally a sexual abuser, not a rapist.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #931
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is insane. Legal folks are expecting Jack Smith to give Judge Cannon a chance to correct course here before he appeals. Assuming it hits appeal, it will be overturned 100%, and that would be her 3rd overturned ruling in this case already. That would very likely give him enough to get her off the case.

I don't know how hard it is to get a Judge off a case but every lawyer (left and right) I've seen read the ruling says it's insane. Has absolutely no legal precedent.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:39 PM   #932
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Trump gets out of the largest part of his bond for the civil judgement in New York, because of course he does. If I had to guess, the appellate judge reduced to what she basically thinks the judgement will be worth after appeal.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:30 PM   #933
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump also had his Stormy Daniels hush money case set for mid-April when the judge didn't buy his lawyers claiming there was prosecutial malpractice for the delay there was in some of the discovery getting to them. none too pleased on even having to rule on it
Old 03-25-2024, 03:36 PM   #934
JPhillips
General Manager

This Truth Social stock deal is maybe the single most corrupt action ever taken by a candidate for the presidency and it's barely even being discussed.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:41 PM   #935
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This Truth Social stock deal is maybe the single most corrupt action ever taken by a candidate for the presidency and it's barely even being discussed.

I don't understand how this is legal and the SEC isn't involved. I think the only potential good thing is maybe some investors get killed when the stock becomes worthless and they stop supporting him.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:39 PM   #936
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

SPACs in general are highly dubious, so of course it's not surprising that Trump's involved in one.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:40 PM   #937
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I wonder how many regular people get their bail reduced by half on appeal?
Old 03-26-2024, 11:30 AM   #938
JPhillips
General Manager

OMG Trump has a video out selling a God Bless the USA Bible.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:14 PM   #939
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Every time I think the bottom has been reached ...
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:33 PM   #940
molson
General Manager

I've seen a bunch of Trump-Jesus themed bumper stickers lately and I have no idea if they're supposed to be ironic.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:47 PM   #941
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've seen a bunch of Trump-Jesus themed bumper stickers lately and I have no idea if they're supposed to be ironic.

they arent...
Old 03-26-2024, 12:59 PM   #942
molson
General Manager

How exciting to be living in the time of the new Jesus!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:55 PM   #943
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
SPACs in general are highly dubious, so of course it's not surprising that Trump's involved in one.

FWIW, I don't believe SPACs are inherently bad or scam. Legit businesses have used this method to get into the stock market quickly.

Rocket Labs (RKLB) is a company I've been monitoring. They have cratered since their SPAC and many people have lost money. However, I've been checking out their forum, press releases etc. and they are executing with real products and satellite launches. SpaceX still dominates though.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:24 PM   #944
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How exciting to be living in the time of the new Jesus!

It's like how Coke created New Coke.
I guess that makes Democrats Pepsi...
Does that mean Biden will be Crystal Mohammed?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:47 PM   #945
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

SPACs were designed explictly to get around SEC disclosure rules. Rules exist for a reason. They're bad.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM   #946
Edward64
Head Coach

SPACs have been around and used since 2009. The rules have existed for a while (and just recently updated early this year).

I agree they are on average, a bad investment. But they are legal, following the SEC rules, and the SEC hasn't made a push to stop it.

Special-purpose acquisition company - Wikipedia
Old 04-01-2024, 08:58 AM   #947
Thomkal
Head Coach

Today would sure be a good day to let Donald Trump know that all the trials against him have been stopped and all charges dropped, wouldn't it?
Old 04-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #948
Kodos
Resident Alien

And that they found the missing votes in Georgia!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:46 AM   #949
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
And that they found the missing votes in Georgia!

sure why not? but then sadly we'd have to see/listen to all the Trump/MAGA/Republicans ad nauseum who believe its true
Old 04-01-2024, 10:50 AM   #950
Ksyrup

Yeah, we're long past the point where jokes about this stuff are just jokes. They're now the truth.