Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Alright boyz, here we go!!! Out of the Park Baseball 13 First Impressions

The pre-order emails were just sent out and this is now available to the pre-order people.

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think I am going to play with real rosters for the first time since OOTP3 or 4.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have it downloaded and ready to play, but I won't be able to play until probably after 7pm.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

For what it's worth, really quick download and licensing was no problem at all.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Ksyrup

Yes, I saw the email on my phone before I left for work and had it downloaded and licensed in about 5 minutes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Uh, if you use the MLB quickstart you may want to consider toning down the abilities of the created players before the draft pool is revealed. I count 14 starting pitchers with a potential of 70+ on the 20-80 scale and 12 more in the 60s.

For hitters, the entire first page (22 guys) have potentials of 77 or more (!) and 60 players have potentials of 60 or more.

I play with scouting off btw. I'll have to do some editing before I get to the actual draft.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-06-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Ksyrup

Did you turn off the steroids option?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I did turn off suspensions, maybe the players feel they have license to juice.

The up and down arrows on the team transaction screen is a nice addition, showing which players are improving/declining on a screen that you visit a lot anyway.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Going to import my league once the playoff start!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

I just created a league with the random historical players model. It was a blast just going through all of the lineups. The poor Cubs got a 36 year old Ryne Sandberg. The Brewers got a 38 year old Babe Ruth.

On the positive side, the Mariners ended up with a 23 year old Pete Rose and a 26 year old Sandy Koufax.

I think I'm going to probably start a career today with this model. Looks like it will be fun.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

I usually haven't played with real rosters probably since OOTP5. Usually I take a look at the Brewers roster and see how far off and out of whack the minor league system is and end up going all fictional.

This year I install the game and open up the Brewers roster and it's pretty damn good. Not perfect but that'd be asking too much.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
Comey
College Starter

I've spent the last week doing countless random debut replays. I love them.

One note of caution: Some stats will seem out of whack. For instance, last night, I had Babe Ruth enter in the steroid era. He hit 88 homers in a year, and produced 1,004 homers for his career. Deion Sanders in the Dead Ball era? He had 53 triples in a year (with only ten doubles, which actually falls in line with his real life stats).

The key here is to suspend your perception of reality, because that's exactly what's going on here. This isn't set in historical accuracy. This is merely a hypothetical test. What would Player X do in Year Y? So if you see someone who does something outrageous, don't fault the game. It sits pretty well in line with what could happen.

That said, it's also wildly addictive. I'm running a 1901-2012 sim again, but this time getting team pages from every year, so I can discuss the lineups, rotations, and craziness that goes on. In one sim last night, the Senators had this as a 3-4-5:

Don Mattingly (27 y/o)
Tommy Henrich (23)
Mickey Mantle (19)

The one thing I didn't get to see is Pedro Martinez in the Dead Ball era. I had it set up days ago, but I screwed something up in the initial process. I want to see that.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Ksyrup

How does that work for a multi-year sim? Is it only one version of each player, and it's just random as to how old he is when he enters the league? Each year, the game has random historical players at random ages available for drafting?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I just created a league with the random historical players model. It was a blast just going through all of the lineups. The poor Cubs got a 36 year old Ryne Sandberg. The Brewers got a 38 year old Babe Ruth.

On the positive side, the Mariners ended up with a 23 year old Pete Rose and a 26 year old Sandy Koufax.

I think I'm going to probably start a career today with this model. Looks like it will be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

One note of caution: Some stats will seem out of whack. For instance, last night, I had Babe Ruth enter in the steroid era. He hit 88 homers in a year, and produced 1,004 homers for his career. Deion Sanders in the Dead Ball era? He had 53 triples in a year (with only ten doubles, which actually falls in line with his real life stats).

The key here is to suspend your perception of reality, because that's exactly what's going on here. This isn't set in historical accuracy. This is merely a hypothetical test. What would Player X do in Year Y? So if you see someone who does something outrageous, don't fault the game. It sits pretty well in line with what could happen.

That said, it's also wildly addictive. I'm running a 1901-2012 sim again, but this time getting team pages from every year, so I can discuss the lineups, rotations, and craziness that goes on. In one sim last night, the Senators had this as a 3-4-5:

Don Mattingly (27 y/o)
Tommy Henrich (23)
Mickey Mantle (19)

The one thing I didn't get to see is Pedro Martinez in the Dead Ball era. I had it set up days ago, but I screwed something up in the initial process. I want to see that.

I had no idea about this feature. This could be the tipping point for me in getting the game. Thanks for the info!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
dfisher
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
How does that work for a multi-year sim? Is it only one version of each player, and it's just random as to how old he is when he enters the league? Each year, the game has random historical players at random ages available for drafting?

From what I understand, the players are randomly selected at a random age for the inital year of the league. From there, they are randomly selected to enter the draft at the age of their rookie year. Each player will only appear once.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
From what I understand, the players are randomly selected at a random age for the inital year of the league. From there, they are randomly selected to enter the draft at the age of their rookie year. Each player will only appear once.

This.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting.. I was going to hold off this year because it seemed to me to plateau.. but now ill have to look into buying this when the pre order exclusitivity period ends..
Old 04-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Comey
College Starter

I would. This game has rekindled my love of the series. Between Real-Time Simming, league associations, regional league formation, and random debut, not to mention the rather sizable tweaks and additions (seems to be more this year than in years' past), this game has blown me away. It's also very, very stable right out of the box. I don't remember a beta where I had next-to-no crashes.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

The new Team Home screen is money, baby.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Any chance to get the pre order lifted for FOFC?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've spent hours just looking over my imported league... it's beautiful and this interface is the best in any game I own.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Regional league formation? I've tried to do this manually many times in previous versions, but if this works like I imagine, that will be very exciting!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Any chance to get the pre order lifted for FOFC?

+1

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Where were you guys yesterday? You could have pre-ordered til noon on April 5th
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Work. And school. And mowing the lawn. And taking care of my kid. And appeasing the wife...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Work. And school. And mowing the lawn. And taking care of my kid. And appeasing the wife...

If I remember correctly he has opened it up early to the public previously so you might get lucky.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've spent hours just looking over my imported league... it's beautiful and this interface is the best in any game I own.

What part (time) of your season did you import?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

The best time is Dec 31st so you get to start the new season with all of the new features. A lot of things happen on Jan 1st in the game so its best to get it done prior to that.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
+1
+2

Yes, I'm late to the party, but money is paid. Hook a brother up.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

This is the first year I imported right before the playoffs started, I just had to play my playoff games with the new broadcast screen.

So far, so good.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Ksyrup

What's the definition of worthless? 32-year old Steve Balboni on a minor league roster in 1901.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #32
Ksyrup

This is fun just to set up and let sim. One team has 34 year old Jeter and 32 year old Pete Rose; another has Carlton Fisk and Yogi Berra.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #33
Ksyrup

Ha! Sammy Sosa lead the NL in HRs in 1901 with 12.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

Don Mattingly (27 y/o)
Tommy Henrich (23)
Mickey Mantle (19)

Are you using neutralized stats? I haven't seen this yet and this is what I am uusing, just curious.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #35
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ha! Sammy Sosa lead the NL in HRs in 1901 with 12.

This is the most fun I have had in a baseball sim. I could see myself playing with this feature for the entire year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
Ksyrup

I'm not sure I want to do anything other than sim results out, but it's pretty cool/fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how the stars are dispersed throughout 100 years, and whether some great players got buried and some no-names got an opportunity to star, just based on who was in the league at the same time.

Speaking of which, Robb Nenn played at the same time as his dad. And he lead the NL in saves one year... with a mighty 6!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

WTF, the key for PC and Linux isn't the same. Dammit.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

Can't someone get around the Pre-Order early release by just having the download link...?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #39
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
+2

Yes, I'm late to the party, but money is paid. Hook a brother up.

Same here. Pissed I waited until this morning to purchase.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Can't someone get around the Pre-Order early release by just having the download link...?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Same here. Pissed I waited until this morning to purchase.

+1000 I am actually pissed enough at myself that since I missed the pre-order I probably won't buy it. I am a impulse buy and heard the good feedback went to order saw it won't be out for the public till the 9th-10th by the then I am sure I will have lost the impulse buy. I already got Puresim 4 so that will have to do I guess.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-06-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Pre-orders don't get to wait for good feedback. That's why they're pre-orders. Some past customers trusted that this would be worth their time and money so much that they paid months in advance for the benefit of a few dollars off and a few days head start.

It's actually a pretty chickenshit move for anyone who waited until after the April 5 deadline to discover that there's some really cool features to decide that now it's safe to get the benefit of the three day headstart. I imagine Markus finds the income from January, February, and March pre-orders to be fairly critical dollars that help him bridge the sales gap in the game's crunch time. Nobody would be clamoring to bust in on headstarters' fun if the release turned out to be a dog (and we all know that the series has been capable of laying a turd), so those who took a risk and shepherded the game to release with pre-order dollars earned the three days headstart. The rest of you who waited for reviews and feedback didn't.

Besides, by Tuesday we'll all know that the financial model still sucks, trading is still too granular, and the aging algorithm is still borked, so all of you who want to plunk down money this weekend will wish you hadn't in 72 hours anyway.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
+1000 I am actually pissed enough that since I missed the pre-order I probably won't buy it. I am a impulse buy and heard the good feedback went to order saw it won't be out for the public till the 9th-10th by the then I am sure I will have lost the impulse buy. I already got Puresim 4 so that will have to do I guess.

How can you be pissed? The thing has been available for preorder at least since when I preordered it back on 1/20.

Good grief...

Btw, the financial model for modern MLB is fine, trading has been MUCH improved.. can't comment on the aging algorithm I applaud Markus for what he's done in just one year, the UI alone is worth the $$$.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

This is a lot of fun. I started out with a 27 year old Harmon Killebrew and a 24-year old Cal Ripken. I'm also grooming two young players in a 21-year old 1B named Kent Hrbek (for Twins fans) and an 18-year old 1B with a ton of potential named Jim Fregosi.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #45
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Gonna be a long year this year on the South Side...

Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Are you using neutralized stats? I haven't seen this yet and this is what I am uusing, just curious.

I am in this test run, and it's looking a bit better. Haven't gone through the records and such yet, but it's looking decent.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #47
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
This is a lot of fun. I started out with a 27 year old Harmon Killebrew and a 24-year old Cal Ripken. I'm also grooming two young players in a 21-year old 1B named Kent Hrbek (for Twins fans) and an 18-year old 1B with a ton of potential named Jim Fregosi.

Hrbek has destroyed in test runs I've had. Just killed the ball.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #48
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
How can you be pissed? The thing has been available for preorder at least since when I preordered it back on 1/20.

Good grief...

Btw, the financial model for modern MLB is fine, trading has been MUCH improved.. can't comment on the aging algorithm I applaud Markus for what he's done in just one year, the UI alone is worth the $$$.

Pissed that I didn't see this not pissed at Markus.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #49
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The random historical players league is worth the money. Seriously, best feature in text sims. This is amazingly fun.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Pissed that I didn't see this not pissed at Markus.