Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2023, 03:13 PM   #451
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
He isn't dead yet, and he might warrant his own thread when he does. Former President Carter as entered hospice care. They don't say his condition, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes soon.

Jimmy Carter is a good man who truly loved his country. Although many do not agree with his political philosophy, it's hard to find anyone who would disagree with that.

From time to time, I'll go back and watch the Carter/Reagan debate. It almost seems surreal watching these two guys debate the issues while remaining respectful toward each other. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #452
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

my first encounter with Belzer was....wait for it...as a stand up comedian on various late night comic specials .

I then Saw him in the Henry Winkler michael keaton comedy Night shift as a murderous pimp and then as a gay stage manager in Al Pacino's author author.

People were amazed I knew his name. I would see him pop up in so many of these little roles in movies and tv.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-19-2023 at 08:24 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:41 PM   #453
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

That first pic looks like the X-Files with Langley. I don't remember him in that but he does fit that world seeing as he is a lizard person.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-19-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Jimmy Carter is a good man who truly loved his country. Although many do not agree with his political philosophy, it's hard to find anyone who would disagree with that.

Not if they've paid attention.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:18 AM   #455
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh wow Richard Belzer was Henry Winkler's cousin
Old 02-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #456
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Tom Sizemore is going to be in this thread soon.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:01 PM   #457
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, gone. RIP
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:02 AM   #458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Sounds like Tom Sizemore is going to be in this thread soon.

While he played some great roles in some really iconic movies in the 90’s (at least for me), it sounds like he was a garbage human.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #459
QuikSand
lolzcat

David Lindley, RIP

David Lindley Dead: Guitarist for Jackson Browne and Others Was 78 - Variety

The 20 seconds or so he gets in the middle of the "Stay" bit here are just pure musical bliss, IMO. A little flat steel guitar, a little prominent falsetto, and some gentures and grunts to please the audience to no end. I love it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-09-2023 at 11:27 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:29 PM   #460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn Last surviving original member of the band

LYNYRD SKYNYRD Guitarist GARY ROSSINGTON Dead At 71 - BraveWords
Old 03-06-2023, 05:13 AM   #461
Edward64
Head Coach

Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama, Gimme Three Steps ...
Old 03-06-2023, 08:12 AM   #462
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tuesdays gone in the best.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #463
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He was the inspiration for the song "That Smell" after smashing his car into a tree, and he also survived the plane crash that killed the other members of the band.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:40 PM   #464
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Skynryd's music just hits my soul. Just such a tragedy what happened.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #465
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Goodbye to my weet childhood neighbor Joyce SIlvester. Her and her husband was the epitome of the charming soft spoken British couple. She was like a second mom. We've known them since before I was born. I hadn't spoken to her in ages and heard she was pretty senile for some time. But I remember her so fondly.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:40 PM   #466
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh this isn’t bumped for Mitch McConnell?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #467
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Oh this isn’t bumped for Mitch McConnell?

you got me excited.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #468
GrantDawg

Robert Blake, acquitted murderer, dies at 89.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2023, 07:45 PM   #469
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
you got me excited.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:47 PM   #470
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Robert Blake, acquitted murderer, dies at 89.

Baretta was not "acquitted murderer" but "acquitted of murder"
Old 03-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #471
GrantDawg

No, I was right the first time.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:07 PM   #472
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bud Grant, NFL Hall of Fame coach who led Vikings to four Super Bowls, dies at 95 | CNN

Not a huge surprise because guys did play in multiple pro sports leagues, I learned all of this today.

Quote:
Prior to his coaching success, Grant was drafted into both the NBA and NFL. He played two seasons in the NBA for the Minneapolis Lakers, winning the inaugural NBA Championship in his rookie season in 1950.

Grant left the NBA to join the NFL as a player for the Philadelphia Eagles. After two seasons, Grant headed to Canada, where he spent 14 seasons as a player and later a coach for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He coached the Blue Bombers to four Grey Cup wins before returning to the NFL to coach the Vikings.

RIP Coach.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:24 PM   #473
Critch
lolzcat

Dick Fosbury, inventor of the Fosbury flop high jump has flopped his last.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:26 AM   #474
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Dick Fosbury, inventor of the Fosbury flop high jump has flopped his last.

He might get one more chance if Corncob TV airs a final season of Coffin Flop.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #475
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dick Fosbury, the inventor of the Fosbury Flop high jump method, passed away at the age of 76.

Dick Fosbury, who won an Olympic gold medal with the ‘Fosbury Flop,’ dies at 76
Old 03-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #476
QuikSand
lolzcat

I know this is kinda open-ended, but Dick Fosbury occupies a specific place in history and people's knowledge/recollection of it.

-Fosbury, and specifically the "Fosbury Flop," is generally regarded as part of trivia canon, the sort of thing you are supposed to know if you are worth a damn as a serious trivia guy

-Even more specifically, by contrast I think that nothing else in the entire world of high jumping qualifies as such... no other athlete, record-holder, etc is really considered fair game for trivia... just this one specific guy and his innovation (by name)

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there who are noteworthy for one specific thing, and widely/well remembered for that and that alone. Fosbury just feels like a sports world shining example of this phenomenon.

We could call it the "Eli Whitney Award" perhaps.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:47 AM   #477
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there who are noteworthy for one specific thing, and widely/well remembered for that and that alone. Fosbury just feels like a sports world shining example of this phenomenon.

Would Buster Douglas qualify?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #478
cartman
Death Herald

To me, his being memorable was coming up with a new way of attempting something in a genre that had been pretty stable for millennia. Track and Field is seeing who can run the fastest, jump the farthest, jump the highest, or throw the farthest. The way to attempt all of those had been basically unchanged since ancient times. He not only tried a different way to jump, he fundamentally changed how everyone approached high jumping. Something similar was the introduction of spinning to throw a shotput in the 1970s, but that was an adaptation of the technique used for throwing a discus.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:26 PM   #479
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Would Buster Douglas qualify?

Buster Douglas beating Tyson was one of the first "where were you" memories that I have.

I was at a friend's house that weekend and I remember, since the fight was in Japan, waking up to sportscenter running the story and the still shots from the fight. To 10-11 year old kids at the time Tyson was unbeatable.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:27 PM   #480
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I know this is kinda open-ended, but Dick Fosbury occupies a specific place in history and people's knowledge/recollection of it.

-Fosbury, and specifically the "Fosbury Flop," is generally regarded as part of trivia canon, the sort of thing you are supposed to know if you are worth a damn as a serious trivia guy

-Even more specifically, by contrast I think that nothing else in the entire world of high jumping qualifies as such... no other athlete, record-holder, etc is really considered fair game for trivia... just this one specific guy and his innovation (by name)

Generally agreed, though in studying old Online Quiz League questions, these have also popped up concerning high jumpers:

At the 1948 London games, Alice Coachman became the first black American woman to win an Olympic gold medal by prevailing in what athletics event? (HIGH JUMP)

What Asian country won its first two gold medals at this summer's Olympics, including a shared gold medal between high jumper Mutaz Essa Barshim and his Italian competitor Gianmarco Tamberi? This country will make its first men's soccer World Cup appearance next year as the host country.
Spoiler

Which Bulgarian, who won a gold medal at the 1996 Summer Olympics, is the current women's world record holder in the high jump?
Spoiler

For our purposes, I don't think the last one would be asked (that might have even been an OQL UK question, they seem to put more emphasis on track/field sports). The second one was more a current events question. The first one...maybe worth filing away. (And yes, OQL has a good number of "WTF??" questions.)

------

Other examples...the Biellmann spin maybe? Though I don't know if that's as famous (and she wasn't actually the first to perform the move). Bannister and the 4:00 mile?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-14-2023 at 12:28 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:23 PM   #481
GrantDawg

Quote:

How quickly people forget "The triple Lindy"
Old 03-14-2023, 04:45 PM   #482
Critch
lolzcat

The film of the old ways of doing the high jump look like something out of Monty Python when you've grown up used to the Fosbury flop.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #483
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
To me, his being memorable was coming up with a new way of attempting something in a genre that had been pretty stable for millennia. Track and Field is seeing who can run the fastest, jump the farthest, jump the highest, or throw the farthest. The way to attempt all of those had been basically unchanged since ancient times. He not only tried a different way to jump, he fundamentally changed how everyone approached high jumping. Something similar was the introduction of spinning to throw a shotput in the 1970s, but that was an adaptation of the technique used for throwing a discus.

It is just insane to think that someone said to all the coaches, athletes, experts, etc, that you're doing this all wrong. I don't even know if I can find another sports equivalent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #484
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm shocked the old guard didn't attempt to outlaw what Fosbury did as against the rules to protect themselves from looking like fools and being one-upped by someone who dared to challenge the status quo. Or maybe they did and that isn't part of a 5 minute explanation of everything leading up to the Olympics or the aftermath.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:41 PM   #485
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It is just insane to think that someone said to all the coaches, athletes, experts, etc, that you're doing this all wrong. I don't even know if I can find another sports equivalent.

Close, though not exactly: Skate Skiing.

The wiki article doesn't mention it, but it was definitely a source of contention in World Cup and Olympic competition in the 70s & 80s, until eventually everyone agreed that you'd have separate "classic" and "freestyle" events. My source is that I skiied competitively in the 80s.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:01 AM   #486
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

RIP all those people that were left off the memorium of the oscars
Old 03-15-2023, 07:01 AM   #487
Edward64
Head Coach

Every year there seems to be someone that is left out that should have been included.

I wonder if those were intentional because "not important enough" or if they truly were missed by the research dept. If it was research dept, you'd think it's easy enough to fix.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:40 AM   #488
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

RIP to Bobby Caldwell. The smoothest white man to ever live.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:26 AM   #489
Ksyrup

His biggest hit is the theme music for SXM's Yacht Rock channel. I watched a video of him performing it about 10 years ago and he still had his voice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-16-2023, 01:18 PM   #490
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Every year there seems to be someone that is left out that should have been included.

I wonder if those were intentional because "not important enough" or if they truly were missed by the research dept. If it was research dept, you'd think it's easy enough to fix.

I can't think it's anything but a clique thing. People with the power to leave people off swing their **** around.

people left out: Anne Heche, Leslie Jordan, Paul Sorvino, Tom Sizemore, Gilbert Gottfried, Charlbi Dean, Tony Sirico, Barbara Walters, and Topol

Seriously no one cares if the oscars run long anymore. That's what DVRs with fast forward button is for. Contrarily what we want from the oscars is for them to be funny.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-16-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:23 PM   #491
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh yeah, *starts another fire* also ROBERT BLAKE!
Old 03-16-2023, 01:37 PM   #492
cuervo72
Head Coach

Should someone like Barbara Walters though? She wasn't in the film industry.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:40 PM   #493
Ksyrup

I wouldn't consider Gilbert Gottfried either. Paul Sorvino seems inexcusable though.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:31 PM   #494
GrantDawg

There is actually several on that list that wouldn't really qualify. It is not just a "dead celebrity" list. It is supposed to be a list of major contributors to the film industry. People famous for TV and barely worked in film don't fit.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:39 PM   #495
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Gilbert Gottfried is an icon!
Old 03-16-2023, 06:30 PM   #496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'll never forget his performance in Problem Child 2
Old 03-16-2023, 07:12 PM   #497
Ksyrup

Quote:

A comedy icon, yes.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:57 AM   #498
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'll never forget his performance in Problem Child 2

His performances in The Adventures of Ford Fairlane and Beverly Hills Cop 2 are legendary!
Old 03-17-2023, 02:52 PM   #499
cartman
Death Herald

the prolific actor Lance Reddick passed away at the age of 60.

Actor Lance Reddick from The Wire, John Wick, and Destiny dead at 60 - Polygon
Old 03-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #500
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

RIP Lt. Daniels.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote