Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #51
JPhillips
General Manager

Just amazing that no one is willing to hit Trump on his biggest vulnerability. He's a losing loser that spreads his losing to the whole party.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #52
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I actually agree with Trump here. At least the blurb, I didn't watch the video. I'm not sure "woke" has a set definition. What it means to you may be different than what it means to me. Therefore it makes it kind of hard to use it in a conversation. So I've been trying to avoid using it.

all it means is that everything Dems/liberals like and stand for is going to destroy our country and must be stopped. They are just lumping them all under one banner now.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #53
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He ramped up most of the culture war stuff and now that people have taken it to extremes, he's going to jump in and act like the "reasonable" one. Tiny Ron DeSantis wants to inspect your kids genitals before they start school after all. I'm just looking to bring prices down for your family.

Say what you want about the guy, but it's pretty fucking brilliant.

This is exactly what he will do. He knows he will NEVER lose his base, the mental gymnastics they will go through to convince themselves he said something but meant something else is astonishing.

So what we will see is him take the opposite stance of the over the top nonsensical things the GOP have trotted out in their endless culture war to appease moderates and independents.

It just may work.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:40 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I just texted with my brother in law. He is super high up with JPM. Reports directly to Jamie Dimon. Bloomberg monthly did an article about him. Google his name and tons of shit comes up. He knows Dimon like almost no one else.

My BIL absolutely thinks he should run.

My BILs exact words
Quote:
I would like him to run. I think he is a centrist that can get stuff done. He can appeal to common folk too if they get the time to know him. Out tellers in middle America love him.

But most don't know him and he is a billionaire so not starting from a great place to build a campaign.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:42 PM   #55
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Just amazing that no one is willing to hit Trump on his biggest vulnerability. He's a losing loser that spreads his losing to the whole party.

One of the biggest electoral losers in history. Never won the popular vote, lost the house, lost the senate, one of the worst, if not the worst, records for an administration in front of the SC and other federal courts. How many bankruptcies?

This is the guy the GOP attached their wagon to and continue to let him try to carry them to more losses.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-01-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #56
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
In a normal world, he'd run as a Republican, right?
He looks a lot like a Romney Republican. I just don't see a old white banker with a bad history with POC can come close to challenging Biden.

A good Biden challenger has to some how appeal to the moderate wing without losing the black or youth vote. Jon Stewart was a good example, though not one likely to want to run.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:47 PM   #57
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So my BIL just wrote me, he asked Dimon who said he would love the job but doesn't want to go through the campaign.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:03 PM   #58
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They'll counter that he won every election and it was just rigged. Other candidates can't bring it up because they'll lose that demographic that is into QAnon and election conspiracies.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

The Dimon stuff makes no sense. Bloomberg tried to do the centrist schtick and put a ton of money behind it and got nowhere. I don't see how someone who is even more tied into the financial world and was part of the great recession would fare better.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When asked to name something about Trump that I liked--really liked, not just a backhanded fake complement--I would say Operation Warp Speed and the First Step Act. Those were really good things that the Trump White House led on and did.

So, of course, DeSantis is picking both of those as areas for attack.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:02 PM   #61
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
They'll counter that he won every election and it was just rigged. Other candidates can't bring it up because they'll lose that demographic that is into QAnon and election conspiracies.

Trump is a great winner is no way to run a campaign.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:00 PM   #62
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
When asked to name something about Trump that I liked--really liked, not just a backhanded fake complement--I would say Operation Warp Speed

Yes, but as I recall the MAGAts were angry that their leader didn't get more credit for expediting the vaccine that most of them refused to take, for a virus they said was a hoax.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #63
JPhillips
General Manager

Running anti-vax may help in the primary, although I'm skeptical, but it definitely will hurt in the general. Even just anti-covid vax is going to be an anchor.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:08 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Yes, but as I recall the MAGAts were angry that their leader didn't get more credit for expediting the vaccine that most of them refused to take, for a virus they said was a hoax.

Well, they were skeptical of it because it came out so quickly because it was fast tracked and half the work had already been done when researching a potential common cold vaccine.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:14 AM   #65
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When asked to name something about Trump that I liked--really liked, not just a backhanded fake complement--I would say Operation Warp Speed and the First Step Act. Those were really good things that the Trump White House led on and did.

I did like it when Trump stood up on the primary debate stage and told the audience that George W Bush didn't keep us safe on 9/11. Cuz you know, thousands of people died.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #66
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good ol' Haley, the one candidate that might have gotten me to vote for HRC.

I'd pay for PPV to have seen this.

Quote:
I doubt Trump runs 3rd party, that's just too much work. He would, though, spend all his time trying to sabotage the GOP nominee so he could claim that if he was the nominee he would have won.

A legit 3rd party with any hope of succeeding would need to start now, in order to have a 50-state ground game, including getting on the ballots in states. Given those deadlines, dropping out of, or losing, a primary is too late to get on enough ballots, even with infinite resources.

So, I agree. If he loses the primary, he might run "3rd party" out of spite, and it's likely his true believers (or grifters) might get him on the ballot in a few states, and if any of those states are swingy enough, it would be plenty to give the election to Biden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So my BIL just wrote me, he asked Dimon who said he would love the job but doesn't want to go through the campaign.

If I had been on the board yesterday when this came up this would have been my guess. He's already in charge of JPM. POTUS is probably a lateral move with a lot of downside.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:06 PM   #67
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, except....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #68
GrantDawg

Definitely playing footsie with running.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #69
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What a miserable sack of shit, to call out a former President's love affair with a murdering bastard.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #70
GrantDawg

Jack Dorsey just endorsed RDK, Jr. if anyone needed more proof that dude is crazy.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2023, 10:22 PM   #71
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 06-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

More the merrier at this stage. But he should fire his advisors.

I don't see how Pence stands a chance. He is/was too close to Trump. His performance during the election was good but not enough to redeem him for the other 3.5 years of "guilt by association".

He'll be asked some critical & tricky questions about his 4 years with Trump. And I'm sure Trump will have extra special things to say about him. Why put yourself through that now? I'd tell him to find something else to do (and make money).

Quote:
Former Vice President Mike Pence on Monday filed the paperwork for his bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, setting up a clash with his running mate of elections past, former President Donald Trump.

Pence is set to formally announce his candidacy on Wednesday ahead of a CNN presidential town hall that evening.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #73
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The last thing the GOP needs is more candidates. I suspect they all think trumps legal woes will catch up to him and they will be the one who gets the scraps. That’s fine but if it looks like he’s going to get the nomination they need to all coalesce around one candidate. If we repeat 2016 he coasts to the nomination and they have to know he has little chance of winning the general.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #74
JPhillips
General Manager

There's no easier way to make money than raising money from right-wing millionaires.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #75
GrantDawg

Quote:
There's no easier way to make money than raising money from right-wing millionaires.
I do think there is money to be made both in the campaign and the speaker circuit after. A couple are also just trying to get on the ticket with Trump.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:46 PM   #76
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
More the merrier at this stage. But he should fire his advisors.

I don't see how Pence stands a chance. He is/was too close to Trump. His performance during the election was good but not enough to redeem him for the other 3.5 years of "guilt by association".

He'll be asked some critical & tricky questions about his 4 years with Trump. And I'm sure Trump will have extra special things to say about him. Why put yourself through that now? I'd tell him to find something else to do (and make money).

I still say Pence's best chance to become President if he had from Jan 6 on had turned into the best witness to Trump's crimes, and not fought against subpoena's/Jan 6 commission. Get the Christian nationalism part of MAGA to his side, and make Trump look like he was the Anti-Christ. Christians love to forgive sins after all.

Instead we got a book and no real condemnation of Trump other than Jan 6. Still going after the "woke" parts of America-now he has no chance.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:48 PM   #77
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see how that would get any part of MAGA to his side. It would have ensured that they would hate him forever. I think it's a terrible idea for him to be run, but from a purely personal political point of view, signing on to Trump was an in for a penny, in for a pound sort of deal. There's no going back after a certain point.

I know you're being partly sarcastic, but I'm all for forgiveness. I aspire to be like the Amish group some years back that openly forgave the culprit shortly after a brutal murder happened to someone in their community by an outsider. But there's a difference between forgiveness and voting for someone to be President.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-05-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:55 PM   #78
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Get the Christian nationalism part of MAGA to his side, and make Trump look like he was the Anti-Christ.

Trump has done this all on his own and they still love him like a savior. Like he's the second coming, you might even say.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pence is what he always was: an empty suit.

And I'm pretty sure most all the Trump supporters already hold him in such low regard that he had no chance to attract them. Hell, Trump is no better than my #2 choice and there's no chance I'd have wasted the energy to vote for someone as incapable and useless as Pence.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #80
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One important question is what percentage of the new Republican base is devoted to Trump in that manner.

We're all familiar by now with the Twitterizing of the media. Most stories now are about reactions. Reporters sit in their bedrooms and trawl the twitterverse for the most extreme commentary, then those reactions become the story.

The intent is to manufacture clicks out of nothing. No investment in reporting. The result is an industry that makes its money from the division of America. I think Alinksy's rules apply quite well to the media these days.

So when we see a story about the "other" side, whichever side, it's usually an example of Twitterizing. By no means representative of the majority of the people. The vast majority of Democrats do not dress up in drag and molest children. The vast majority of Republicans do not wish to return to a time when women and black people had no rights.

It's my hope that we have some items here that don't devolve into that, but I get accused of "bothsiderism" when I say that, so I try not to say that too much.

Primaries are designed by parties to protect those in power. Unfortunately for the Republicans, the apple cart was turned over in 2016 because Trump figured out how to beat the system. He tapped into voter frustration with the system. We talk about outsiders and populism all the time, but it almost never comes together like that. We get outsiders who remain at 2%. We get populists who simply repeat the party line. Perot is the only other person who even came close in my lifetime and he didn't have much interest in joining either party. He ended up being the guy who ended the Reagan run by splitting the Republicans more thoroughly than the Democrats. They never quite recovered.

Trump simply took a party (strangely enough, the party he didn't register with for much of his politically active life) and made it his own. He has no overriding political philosophy. He has governed... oddly. Sometimes he defers to the Republican core (his relatively new position on abortion rights being the most notable) and sometimes he doesn't. Maybe that appeals to a lot of people. His greatest political talent seems to be in understanding how to get voters interested in him - positively or negatively. He seems to benefit from both.

The numbers suggest one person would have a tough time beating him. One person divided ten ways... impossible. How people like Pence don't see this is a mystery. I guess in order to seek a major public office one must have a blind spot when it comes to not seeing the bigger picture. In order to beat Trump, someone has to inspire people, not slowly build a political machine that roams the Iowa countryside.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:33 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
In order to beat Trump, someone has to inspire people, not slowly build a political machine that roams the Iowa countryside.

And talk about a Pence weakness, yikes. He's a perfect example of starving dogs, fresh meat, etc.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #82
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I was just coming to ask if these candidates have to return any leftover donations once their campaign fails.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:16 PM   #83
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Sununu is out. I was intrigued by his candidacy, but he certainly fails the "inspire lots of people" test.

This decision is perhaps the best indication of his qualification for the job he'll never have.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #84
GrantDawg

"The vast majority of Republicans do not wish to return to a time when women and black people had no rights."
Just talking with the Trump flag flyers that I deal with every day, I think Twitter might underrepresent how badly they want just that.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #85
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I was just coming to ask if these candidates have to return any leftover donations once their campaign fails.

There are a few options, including return the money (which no one does).

Most form a "Leadership PAC". They have almost no regulation and can just be used as a personal slush fund.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:51 PM   #86
Ksyrup

They can return it all because the new play is cry "RIGGED!" and fundraise off of that.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-05-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #87
GrantDawg

Here is the calculus of the RFK jr. run. If he isn't enough of a fly in the ointment, the "No Labels" party will also help the chaos.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #88
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Chris Christie is in again. Not sure why, except to annoy Trump.

Doug Burgum is also in. North Dakota governor. Tech business background. Intriguing, but the whoest of the "whos". This type never passes the inspire test. I doubt he even gets a nickname from Trump.

Personally, I'd love to see someone like this become inspiring. I just don't think it will happen any time soon. We revere our geriatric slogan muppets.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #89
JPhillips
General Manager

We see with Asa Hutchinson what the RNC pledge is going to do. All of these candidates are, in essence, swearing loyalty to Trump when he wins the nomination.

How does Christie deal with a pledge that promises he'll support Trump?
Old 06-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #90
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Mike Pence Launches Presidential Bid With Scathing Condemnation Of Donald Trump

“President Trump endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol on that day. But it is important for the American people to know that he also demanded that I choose between him and our Constitution. Now, voters will face the same choice,” Pence said. “I chose the Constitution, and I always will.”

Rats are jumping ship, for whatever that is worth.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #91
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Mike Pence Launches Presidential Bid With Scathing Condemnation Of Donald Trump

“President Trump endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol on that day. But it is important for the American people to know that he also demanded that I choose between him and our Constitution. Now, voters will face the same choice,” Pence said. “I chose the Constitution, and I always will.”

Rats are jumping ship, for whatever that is worth.
That's a solid statement. Never expected it of him.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-07-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:45 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Chris Christie is in again. Not sure why, except to annoy Trump.

Wants to be DeSantis' AG. His job is to just attack Trump in a way that DeSantis can't. Kind of the same role he played for Trump in attacking Rubio.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:31 PM   #93
PilotMan
Head Coach

But if the R's really, in their hearts, believed that, they would have removed his sugar daddy from office and let him take over.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:39 PM   #94
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1666...Znv52YZTh9J2dg

if Pence cannot say that Trump should be indicted if he committed a crime, then what is Pence doing running?
Old 06-07-2023, 08:49 PM   #95
Ksyrup

Even better, Pence said he would support the GOP nominee.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #96
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1666...Znv52YZTh9J2dg

if Pence cannot say that Trump should be indicted if he committed a crime, then what is Pence doing running?

You can spot the moment that the 3 remaining brain cells in his head start kicking around. What a disastrous response.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:59 PM   #97
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
You can spot the moment that the 3 remaining brain cells in his head start kicking around. What a disastrous response.

He was legit caught off guard by the question. Who are his advisors? How do you not know that’s coming?
Old 06-07-2023, 10:39 PM   #98
RainMaker
General Manager

It was a great question. You spend a minute talking about restoring law and order and then later on talk about how law and order shouldn't matter if you're an elite.

Most candidates know how to deflect that stuff but Pence genuinely seems like a simpleton.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-07-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:31 AM   #99
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think your campaign is going well if you rush out immediately to defend another candidate that was just indicted.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:49 AM   #100
Ksyrup

It's particularly ridiculous for Pence to do so, since he's not winning over any of the people he thinks he's courting by not outright going after Trump. You can't play both sides when one side hates your guts.