Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #451
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Another monumental Miami coaching screw up. UNC has 4th and 2, Miami D has no clue who should be on the field but ref is holding up the snap while they substitute. Cristobal finally calls TO but not before his DC runs half-way onto the field yelling at the refs or his players - not sure. Either way, he gets a flag. So Miami loses a TO and UNC gets an automatic 1st down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:18 PM   #452
Ksyrup

Hey, you beat me to it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #453
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

How will watching other teams beat up on Iowa/Wisconsin be better/different than what Penn State already did to Iowa this year? It's not like either one of them have been winning the conference lately. Occasionally winning the division when they are on a good year and losing, usually badly, in the championship game. I don't see how it changes much re:them, they'll just have more losses but they'll still be what they are.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:15 PM   #454
Atocep
Coordinator

Cristobal makes some interesting decisions.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:18 PM   #455
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Could very well be the lowest football IQ of any coach in history
Old 10-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #456
Ksyrup

Damn, ND!

They got their asses handed to them last week against Louisville, who got embarrassed by Pitt tonight. And ND is destroying USC. Of course.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:30 PM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: ND

38 points on just 234 yards (as of my typing) is kind of impressive
Old 10-14-2023, 09:32 PM   #458
Ksyrup

Quote:

Like calling TO, sending 12 men onto the field, and still giving up a TD?
Old 10-14-2023, 09:35 PM   #459
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Like calling TO, sending 12 men onto the field, and still giving up a TD?

Or declining a penalty that would have made it 2nd and 30 and pushed UNC out of FG range and then giving up a TD on the next play.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:41 PM   #460
Ksyrup

I wish I had looked at tonight's schedule before cashing in last night at 11:30. I could have stayed up for Colorado's meltdown and gone to sleep at 10:45 tonight.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:45 PM   #461
bronconick
College Starter

L oh Fucking L USC
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:54 PM   #462
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

48 points on just 251 yards offense.

I gotta think that's at least in some sort of record territory
Old 10-14-2023, 10:05 PM   #463
bob
College Starter

“Caleb Williams makes awful decisions when he’s under pressure and doesn’t have 10 seconds to scramble around. Thank god that won’t happen when he’s drafted to a bottom 5 team with no talent on either side of the-wait a minute.”
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:44 AM   #464
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't get to watch the game, but I've seen Caleb Williams look a lot better than that description. Makes me wonder what changed.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #465
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Damn it. Brock Bowers is having surgery today for a high-ankle sprain. He will be out weeks.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #466
GrantDawg

Lol.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:42 PM   #467
cuervo72
Head Coach

Whatever he kicked it was probably more accurate than a Purdue FG attempt.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #468
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Damn it. Brock Bowers is having surgery today for a high-ankle sprain. He will be out weeks.

That sucks. Considering he's a top 10 pick, I wonder if he's back at all this season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #469
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That sucks. Considering he's a top 10 pick, I wonder if he's back at all this season.
The surgery suggests he will try. It is a way to make it the ankle heal faster. If he wasn't trying to get back, he wouldn't have opted for it and let the ankle heal naturally. As it is, the earliest he would be back is most likely the SEC Championship game if Georgia plays in it. He may could push it a couple of weeks earlier, but that is risky.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:59 PM   #470
Galaril
Pro Starter

Air Force is 6-0 after a bitter rivalry game against Wyoming. It was a great game that came down to the wire after AFA fell behind 14-0. We are ranked 21st. First ranking since 2018 and first 6-0 start since 2002. Next up Navy and the inter service games always battles no matter the record. IF Air Force can get past Navy and at home against Army they have a punchers chance maybe better of going 13-0 and a potential NY6 bowl.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:04 PM   #471
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

No one with that schedule should make a NY6 bowl.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #472
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
No one with that schedule should make a NY6 bowl.

Though I somewhat agree as far as a NY6 Bowl I assume that goes for Georgia too? There SOS is -5.61 and AF is -5.0
Both teams SOS will get better AF has a few teams at the end that will have good records and maybe ranked. Now if what you mean is no G5 team should be ever considered then just say that. I personally would love to see AF and Army and Navy as well drop to the FCS. I know we would do extremely well there.
I have heard from people in the AFA athletic program that they have a hard time getting big name schools to sign up for hone and away out of conference game week 1 or 2 game against them. Three reasons they said for this was first AFA does not have the home stadium size worth it. Second teams don’t want to. Waste time prepping in the off season for the wishbone offense. Lastly and related to number two wishbone can be problematic to deal with and the risk of losing is not worth it for big schools. Also, Air Force has two “mandatory” out of conference games each year and along with the Mountain west games needed they only have two slots open at the beginning of the season. I would like to see them do like big programs and have one cupcake game still but secondly get a top 25 team on the schedule. We did have in years past at least one but like I said most aren’t interested.
Also, it is worth mentioning Air Force has no scholarship athletes ( you have a military commitments like everyone else there) , no red shirt years, no NIL and no transfer portal.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #473
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Though I somewhat agree as far as a NY6 Bowl I assume that goes for Georgia too? There SOS is -5.61 and AF is -5.0
Both teams SOS will get better AF has a few teams at the end that will have good records and maybe ranked. Now if what you mean is no G5 team should be ever considered then just say that. I personally would love to see AF and Army and Navy as well drop to the FCS. I know we would do extremely well there.
I have heard from people in the AFA athletic program that they have a hard time getting big name schools to sign up for hone and away out of conference game week 1 or 2 game against them. Three reasons they said for this was first AFA does not have the home stadium size worth it. Second teams don’t want to. Waste time prepping in the off season for the wishbone offense. Lastly and related to number two wishbone can be problematic to deal with and the risk of losing is not worth it for big schools. Also, Air Force has two “mandatory” out of conference games each year and along with the Mountain west games needed they only have two slots open at the beginning of the season. I would like to see them do like big programs and have one cupcake game still but secondly get a top 25 team on the schedule. We did have in years past at least one but like I said most aren’t interested.
Also, it is worth mentioning Air Force has no scholarship athletes ( you have a military commitments like everyone else there) , no red shirt years, no NIL and no transfer portal.
Georgia has the 13th toughest SOS for opponents yet faced (not including the possible SEC Championship Game). Air Force has the 109th. Not exactly the same.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #474
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

While I'm happy to shit on the UGA schedule as much as anybody (and happier than most), not sure who has that calculation.

Using ESPN solely for easy to see (I've looked at three others already earlier in the afternoon, the sad state of the AF schedule was consistent across all of them)

Air Force has a current SOS rank of 131 out of 133 FBS, Georgia is currently 102 ... but the remaining schedules are 94th vs 19th. That'll balance out quite a bit if both are hypothetically unbeaten.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #475
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also probably worth noting that while only two FBS teams have a lower SOS than Air Force, one of them is Liberty ... currently 133/133 and with a remaining SOS that's just 122/133.

They're projected to remain unbeaten. There are currently only 3 non-P5 teams between them and Air Force, and one of those just lost to AF.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-17-2023 at 06:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:30 PM   #476
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Georgia has the 13th toughest SOS for opponents yet faced (not including the possible SEC Championship Game). Air Force has the 109th. Not exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While I'm happy to shit on the UGA schedule as much as anybody (and happier than most), not sure who has that calculation.

Using ESPN solely for easy to see (I've looked at three others already earlier in the afternoon, the sad state of the AF schedule was consistent across all of them)

Air Force has a current SOS rank of 131 out of 133 FBS, Georgia is currently 102 ... but the remaining schedules are 94th vs 19th. That'll balance out quite a bit if both are hypothetically unbeaten.

Obviously I don’t think it reasonable to compare the two one plays in the SEC and th3 other the MWC but was pointing out at this point they have very similar SOS. I don’t ow anything about ESPNs ratings I use the Sports Reference.com. Site . It has Air Force as having the 116 and a -5.00 and Georgia is 119 and a -5.61 at this point. As they have games against Bama and Tennessee among others there SOS will go up as will Air Forces. Air Forces won’t go up any where near as high as Georgia but from SOS numerical rating they may not be as far off as some might finish the season playing three ranked teams at the end which I suspect will I prove there SOS. My point is yes they probably don’t deserve to be in the Fiesta Bowl but neither did Tulane last year and they beat a Clemson
Old 10-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #477
Swaggs
Coordinator

It gets back into rewarding the best team versus rewarding the best season. If Air Force goes 13-0, that would be a pretty amazing season, regardless of the schedule. I would guess they'd have a tough time finishing over .500 in the SEC (if that), but I'd be more likely to watch a NY6 bowl game with a 13-0, wish-bone running Air Force team play a P2/3/4/5? runner up than to see the 3rd or 4th place team from one of those conferences play in it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:47 AM   #478
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It gets back into rewarding the best team versus rewarding the best season. If Air Force goes 13-0, that would be a pretty amazing season, regardless of the schedule. I would guess they'd have a tough time finishing over .500 in the SEC (if that), but I'd be more likely to watch a NY6 bowl game with a 13-0, wish-bone running Air Force team play a P2/3/4/5? runner up than to see the 3rd or 4th place team from one of those conferences play in it.

Agreed but now that Air Forces starting QB is out for a while with a knee injury they likely will start dropping some games so this is probably not going to matter.
I wouldn’t be surprised to if they lose to Navy this weekend.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #479
tarcone
Coordinator

B10 Championship game or Bowl game? Which one should I attend? One is a guaranteed blow out the other would be closer. One I will probably never get a chance to attend again, the other is every season.

What would you choose?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #480
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
B10 Championship game or Bowl game? Which one should I attend? One is a guaranteed blow out the other would be closer. One I will probably never get a chance to attend again, the other is every season.

What would you choose?

Probably the Bowl game. Whoever Iowa plays in the B10 Championship game will very likely destroy them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:37 PM   #481
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Iowa football has scored 4 more offensive TDs in the last 4 games than this board combined.

Iowa is 32/83 passing in those 4 games.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:00 PM   #482
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm feeling more confident than usual that the Gophers can actually beat Iowa on the road this year.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #483
tarcone
Coordinator

Minnesota will be lucky to score. This Iowa defense has an edge. It is as talented as any I have seen, but nastier.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #484
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Minnesota will be lucky to score. This Iowa defense has an edge. It is as talented as any I have seen, but nastier.

talk to the hand

Old 10-18-2023, 03:25 PM   #485
Swaggs
Coordinator

Iowa sitting with a 6-1 record and being only +42 in scoring is a really strange statistic to wrap your head around. Especially when you consider that they have only had one win where the margin was less than a touchdown (and even that was a 6-point win) and that they have a 31-point win on their resume. The math shouldn't work, but it does.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:20 PM   #486
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Iowa sitting with a 6-1 record and being only +42 in scoring is a really strange statistic to wrap your head around. Especially when you consider that they have only had one win where the margin was less than a touchdown (and even that was a 6-point win) and that they have a 31-point win on their resume. The math shouldn't work, but it does.

The offense has 1732 total yards while punter Tory Taylor has 2272 yards.

I have a NIL t-shirt from Taylor that says "Punting is Winning"

Old 10-18-2023, 06:23 PM   #487
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former Georgia football LB makes shocking confession in federal court

That'd be a UGA staff member "player development" who didn't know what to do when asked by police about his former roommate involvement in a senseless murder. Well, not until he called the program "fixer" anyway.

Hey, no problem with the guy covering himself with a lawyer and all.

Where this makes it impossible to justify this piece of trash remaining on staff is that he not only remained friends with the killer but actually went into business with him.

I wonder how they'll eventually remodel The Fulmer Cup into the Fulmer/Smart trophy?
Old 10-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #488
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I wonder how they'll eventually remodel The Fulmer Cup into the Fulmer/Smart trophy?

I'm starting to think Kirby paid off the Fulmer Cup guys to end it when they did in 2021.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:43 PM   #489
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm starting to think Kirby paid off the Fulmer Cup guys to end it when they did in 2021.

The fall from grace will be glorious ... I just wonder how many people will literally die before we get to that point.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:52 PM   #490
GrantDawg

Lots from jealousy. It is quite fatal.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #491
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lots from jealousy. It is quite fatal.

I called out GT for having a drug smuggler (though they suspended him, a judge ordered him back onto the team .. but they shouldn't have played him)

I called out UT for pretty much everything.

If you think I'm gonna avoid doing so when it's the most unlikable lowest class program in sports history, you're out of your fucking tree.

That I hold Hamas, Al Qaida, and North Korea in higher regard than UGA Athletics is not hyperbole in the slightest.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #492
GrantDawg

I don't care about calling out crap. Call away. I think Kirby goes down about the time Saban does, though. Never.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-18-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #493
GrantDawg

Anyone believing this Michigan cheating rumor?
Old 10-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #494
bob
College Starter

Are you talking about this?

"using unnamed individuals to attend games of both scheduled opponents and possible College Football Playoff opponents in an effort to gather information on the signs they use to call both offensive and defensive plays. "

I'd be amazed if EVERY team doesn't do that.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #495
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Are you talking about this?

"using unnamed individuals to attend games of both scheduled opponents and possible College Football Playoff opponents in an effort to gather information on the signs they use to call both offensive and defensive plays. "

I'd be amazed if EVERY team doesn't do that.
Sign stealing? Maybe, but I wouldn't think so. They heavily research tendencies, but I doubt everyone has a large sign stealing scheme.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #496
bob
College Starter

I assume that anyone with a large enough budget is doing everything they can to win. Too much money to believe otherwise.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #497
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Anyone believing this Michigan cheating rumor?

They've certainly established this reputation over the last several years.

Will Ohio State’s aerial attack shred Michigan’s defense? Was UM built solely for this matchup? - The Athletic

One other wrinkle in this matchup: “I think Michigan is really good at stealing your signals,” said one Big Ten running backs coach. “They got our stuff early and they got us on both sides.”
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 02:30 PM   #498
GrantDawg

Quote:
I assume that anyone with a large enough budget is doing everything they can to win. Too much money to believe otherwise.
Then there are many teams with lots of money really bad at it. Have to think USC's defense would be better if they knew the opponents play in advanced.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #499
bob
College Starter

I mean, I remember a few years ago ND making a big deal about sending in every play to the huddle against Clemson to avoid them since it was known that Clemson was really good at stealing signs.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #500
GrantDawg

Quote:
I mean, I remember a few years ago ND making a big deal about sending in every play to the huddle against Clemson to avoid them since it was known that Clemson was really good at stealing signs.
But generally those things happen when teams get lazy. The sign guy has a tell or such as that. I have sat in on a coaches meeting where they caught something like that before at the High School level. It didn't involve a vast conspiracy. Hiring the numbers you would need to have to do something like this just begs getting caught. That's why I question whether Michigan is doing it.