Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2023, 06:58 PM   #251
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Also, how did Herm Edwards have Jayden Daniels, Johnny Wilson and Ricky Pearsall and still suck?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:40 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Also, how did Herm Edwards have Jayden Daniels, Johnny Wilson and Ricky Pearsall and still suck?

They were being coached by Herm Edwards probably covers it.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #253
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I didn't see it, but people are saying Marvin Harrison's ankle moved in a way that ankles aren't supposed to move.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #254
molson
General Manager

I don't watch a ton of college football, but when I do, the craziest thing is how wide open wide receivers are on good teams. It looks so easy to be a QB.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:12 PM   #255
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

There's a reason this board is still my favorite place on the internet.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-23-2023 at 09:12 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:21 PM   #256
Ksyrup

Quote:

I mean, he's no Deion Sanders, that's for sure.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-23-2023, 09:43 PM   #257
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One or two plays left in Notre Dame-Ohio State for the game winner to come?
Old 09-23-2023, 09:44 PM   #258
bronconick
College Starter

3 man rush and no one covers downfield. Brutal.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:47 PM   #259
Ksyrup

That was so obvious ND was going to blow that after the offensive series they had.

Meanwhile, Pearsall's amazing catch aside, I just saw that UF managed 1 TD and 5 FGs against Charlotte.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:48 PM   #260
bob
College Starter

I’m done. I didn’t even go to school at ND. So sick of almost wins and blow outs.

Last edited by bob : 09-23-2023 at 09:48 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:51 PM   #261
Ksyrup

OK, just a hypothetical here.

In this specific situation - TD with only a few seconds left and a 2 point lead - rather than kicking the XP, wouldn't the better decision have been to send the offense out to go for 2, but take a knee? 1 second left, there's really no chance at a FG to beat you and a TD wins it regardless of the XP. However, if you screw up the XP, they can tie the game with a return.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:54 PM   #262
cuervo72
Head Coach

Probably, yeah.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:09 PM   #263
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I’m done. I didn’t even go to school at ND. So sick of almost wins and blow outs.

Yup. They really need to accept who they are. They are not the ND of the late 80s or 1960s-70s. They basically are a very good MAC team. No disrespect meant to MAC team fans.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-23-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:26 PM   #264
bronconick
College Starter

10 men on the field for the last play. Genius.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:38 PM   #265
Ksyrup

Manti Te'o's GF is the 11th player.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:40 PM   #266
Ksyrup

Also apparently it was the last 2 plays.
Old 09-23-2023, 10:48 PM   #267
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'll never understand a three-man rush in those situations. OSU has the receivers to get open and fight for the ball. Leave McCord a clean pocket and an extra second or two, and you've made life a lot harder on yourself.

Given what Penn State just did to Iowa (Ferentz didn't get any closer to his points goal), Michigan might be #2 currently in the country, but they could be third-best in their own division. Hard to say since their style and the level of their opponents has led to four rather sleepy 3X-Y results.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:01 PM   #268
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa shut out for the 1st time since 2000

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:33 AM   #269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from RedditCFB twitter

And the Notre Dame fan said, “Lord, during most of the game I noticed 22 footprints in the grass, but during the most difficult times I noticed only 20, were you carrying us then?”

And the Lord sayeth, “Lol, no buddy your coach sent ten dudes out.”
Old 09-24-2023, 07:13 AM   #270
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Iowa managed 33 plays in a regulation football game. They possessed the ball for less than a quarter.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #271
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Iowa managed 33 plays in a regulation football game. They possessed the ball for less than a quarter.
Iowa fumbled on 18% of their snaps. That is a crazy stat.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:56 AM   #272
bob
College Starter

One thing that really stuck out yesterday after watching games all day - coaches are still terrible at managing the clock and timeouts.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #273
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa shut out for the 1st time since 2000

I mean they made money on the under tho
Old 09-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #274
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

In this specific situation - TD with only a few seconds left and a 2 point lead - rather than kicking the XP, wouldn't the better decision have been to send the offense out to go for 2, but take a knee? 1 second left, there's really no chance at a FG to beat you and a TD wins it regardless of the XP. However, if you screw up the XP, they can tie the game with a return.
Can you still return blocked XP's/pick 2's or fumbles on 2pt attempts for 2 points? I know they changed it in either the NFL or NCAA to where you couldn't for no discernible reason, but could never keep it straight which one.

Overall I'm happy with where ND is at despite how painful the ending was. Ohio State has like 10 of the top 70 NFL draft prospects, ND wasn't hyped coming into the season and lacks a gamebreaking WR or TE (would kill to have had Mikey Mayer come back and play with Sam Hartman for this year), and it wasn't a fluke. A playoff berth may still even be attainable with a primetime game at Duke next week, USC, and a couple other tough road games in Louisville and Clemson on the schedule.

The new clock rules are really noticeable and I think really beneficial to teams who play like ND (but not heavy favorites) and we have a better chance at a title under them. Saw it with South Carolina/Georgia the week before too, if you can pick up first downs you can really shorten the game vs a better team with an explosive offense. The ND team that lost to Clemson in the playoff semi's a few years back had a better defense, just broke eventually under the onslaught of chances Trevor Lawrence had to throw to elite WR's. I wonder if Saban will also make the move back to playing like that once he gets a real QB again, or if they stick with the high octane offenses because of how much space you can eventually find against college defenses.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:29 AM   #275
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:

You mean like this hypothetical from 20 years ago. No, I'm not still bitter about it.

the craziest college football ending that nobody talks about - YouTube

Fun facts: the Furman QB is current Florida head coach Billy Napier... so that should explain some things.

Also, the wideout who caught the TD is Bear Rhinehart, lead singer of Grammy nominated band Needtobreathe.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:27 AM   #276
BishopMVP
Coordinator

(I looked it up, does appear to be legal in NCAA and the NFL is where you can't return them.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #277
GrantDawg

The numbers just get better:
Old 09-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #278
Galaril
Pro Starter

This USC game might get ugly. It is only 14-0 with USC scoring again late 1st qtr but USC is able to do anything they want on offense with three of CUs starting secondary guys out.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-30-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 11:49 AM   #279
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Pat Forde tried to say Colorado isn't that bad because the teams they've beaten are undefeated since Colorado beat them.

Wins since being beaten by Colorado
TCU: Nichols State, Houston, SMU
Nebraska: Northern Illinois, Louisiana Tech
CSU: MTSU

Not exactly a murderers row.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 09-30-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #280
Ksyrup

Ray Davis has over 200 yards rushing for UK vs UF and there's still 9 minutes left in the 2Q.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:13 PM   #281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ray Davis has over 200 yards rushing for UK vs UF and there's still 9 minutes left in the 2Q.

AND he caught a TD pass

He tryin to get Billy Napier fired all by himself lol
Old 09-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #282
Ksyrup

Leary has continued to look underwhelming which is surprising. I thought he was a great pick up but he seems to be the weak link.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:34 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Leary has continued to look underwhelming which is surprising. I thought he was a great pick up but he seems to be the weak link.

Set aside games in 2022 against UConn and Chas Southern, he threw 3 TD/3 INT. And was around 60% completion rate.

The notion that he has plateaued, if not regressed, isn't entirely without merit.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:18 PM   #284
GrantDawg

Florida had 13 guys on the field, and Ray Davis still scored a touchdown.

Old 09-30-2023, 01:45 PM   #285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think at some point today there are legitimate questions being raised about the USC defense and whether it's good enough for them to be a real contender for anything.

Not sure if it can beat Washington and Oregon back to back near the end of the season.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Florida had 13 guys on the field, and Ray Davis still scored a touchdown.

Well, last week proved the ten on the field doesn't work, so 13 doesn't seem entirely unreasonable lol
Old 09-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The knives may not be entirely out in full view for Sam Pittman but they're definitely being sharpened.

Barring a sudden turnaround, a middlin bowl this year and a slow start next year and there might be a vacancy sooner than later
Old 09-30-2023, 02:08 PM   #288
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think at some point today there are legitimate questions being raised about the USC defense and whether it's good enough for them to be a real contender for anything.

Not sure if it can beat Washington and Oregon back to back near the end of the season.

Spoiler alert - it can’t. And a misplaced sense of loyalty to his buddy will cost Lincoln Riley a chance at a national title with the best college quarterback he will ever get.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:25 PM   #289
Danny
Head Coach

The Grinch who stole the BCS
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #290
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Well this is fun
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:39 PM   #291
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
One thing that really stuck out yesterday after watching games all day - coaches are still terrible at managing the clock and timeouts.

Just to repeat
Old 09-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #292
bronconick
College Starter

Lincoln Riley defense: 404 File Not Found.

As usual.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:56 PM   #293
bob
College Starter

If Colorado’s OC had the buffs covering and wanted to protect it at the end of the game, it would look like that. I mean just unbelievably bad clock management.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #294
tarcone
Coordinator

Another fun Iowa offensive stat; Army's top 2 WRs have 458 yards receiving before today, Iowa QB Cade McNamara has 459 passing yards. Yeah, I said Army.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:38 PM   #295
GrantDawg

Brock Bowers, man.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brock Bowers, man.

Right now more like a one man team.

But, ya know, covering him would be an idea. Not one that Auburn considered apparently.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:14 PM   #297
GrantDawg

LSU-Ole Miss getting scrappy. Fans are throwing things on the field.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:26 PM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LSU-Ole Miss getting scrappy. Fans are throwing things on the field.

SEC officiating has surpassed the Pac-10 levels that used to be a meme.

edit to add: I honestly feel bad for Oxford PD tonight, it's gonna be a rough one downtown after this game. And the $50 (and up) cover charges for every bar downtown mean a lot of people will be on the streets with two of the heaviest drinking fan bases around.

I hope the bail bonds people got plenty of sleep today.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-30-2023 at 08:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:37 PM   #299
bronconick
College Starter

Who put Big XII in my SEC?
Old 09-30-2023, 08:41 PM   #300
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Crazy ending forthcoming in Oxford
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote