Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good enough for Joe Namath ...
I'm old enough to get that reference.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:32 PM   #352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Van Dyke has single handedly destroyed Miami.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:39 PM   #353
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I can only assume that the "officials" in the Ole Miss-Arkansas game have money on the Hogs. That's about a blatantly corrupt fucking officiating as I've seen in a single series.

How the SEC ended up with what is now by far the worst officials in the fucking country is a mystery but it's consistent week in and week out, a combination of incompetence and downright crooked.

The amount of money they must pocket off betting has got to be incredible.
Nah, PAC-12 still worse...

One brutally bad facemask call against ND when we would've got the ball back down 17-13, but been losing the battle of the lines all night. Louisville is bringing pressure and we don't have a #1 outside guy for the big plays over the top but even past that our tackles are supposed to be our best players and they're getting abused 1v1. Annnnnd another pick, game over, congrats to Louisville. ND's streak vs ACC teams finally comes to an end unless a miracle occurs.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:18 PM   #354
JPhillips
General Manager

Hard to see how Freeman stays on at ND after this year.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:26 PM   #355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Umm ... why did Miami hand the ball off there?

THAT might be as bad as clock management gets.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:30 PM   #356
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

USC looks less than inspired tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:32 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT wins on THAT

I'm dumbfounded.

If that's not the worst call in history I'm stumped at what's worse
Old 10-07-2023, 10:39 PM   #358
Ksyrup

So I turned it off after the 1st down with 1:57 left and GT had 1 TO. On that fumble, if they just took a knee, what was the time left?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-07-2023, 10:40 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So I turned it off after the 1st down with 1:57 left and GT had 1 TO. On that fumble, if they just took a knee, what was the time left?

It would have been over.

Clock was under, snapped with 0:33
Old 10-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #360
bob
College Starter

I think it’s pretty likely the elbow was down before the fumble, but replay couldn’t really confirm either way.

But that’s the dumbest thing I’ve seen. Again, your average Madden player is smarter than college coaches.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:41 PM   #361
RainMaker
General Manager

I wasn't paying attention but couldn't they have just taken a knee??????
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:46 PM   #362
Ksyrup

The ONLY thing Twitter has going for it is these types of moments.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:49 PM   #363
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Hard to see how Freeman stays on at ND after this year.
Huh? I don't think he's the best in game coach and not sure if he just needs more experience or he'll never get there (very young staff too), but I thought before the season ND was a top 25 team not a national title contender and they seem to be about that level. He's recruiting very well, seems like a breath of fresh air PR wise after Brian Kelly and Charlie Weis which isn't nothing. The two OT's who are supposed to be a top 10 pick and a 1st rounder got destroyed 1v1 tonight, either they're hurt, banged up after 2 wars, or the Louisville DE combo is very underrated, credit to the the Cardinals but I'm not sure who is trying to run Freeman out of town for losing on the road to an undefeated top 25 team. We just saw an inexplicably worse loss that is 100% on the coaches in Miami (ok 98% on them, 2% on the safety and deep corner who bit up on the route instead of staying in quarters or whatever it was.)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:50 PM   #364
Ksyrup

It gets worse - Cristobal did nearly the same thing at Oregon, running a play near midfield instead of taking a knee, except in that case it would have run the clock down to about 15 seconds before they would have needed to punt. Instead, Stanford recovered, got a game-tying FG and won in OT.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:52 PM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I wasn't paying attention but couldn't they have just taken a knee??????

Only if your coaching staff has a collective IQ in single digits.

There is literally zero reason for Cristobal to have a job by morning.

None. Nada. Zip.

Why would ANY recruit ever play for a staff THAT incompetent?
Old 10-07-2023, 10:54 PM   #366
BishopMVP
Coordinator

$$$?
Old 10-07-2023, 10:55 PM   #367
RainMaker
General Manager

It'll ger overlooked because of not taking a knee but what was that defense on the final play?
Old 10-07-2023, 10:57 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I will correct myself. One other moment was the equal in stupidity.

https://unlvrebels.com/news/1999/9/1...lor_27_24.aspx
Old 10-07-2023, 11:09 PM   #369
Ksyrup

Fortunately for them, there was no Twitter in 1999.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:10 PM   #370
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Only if your coaching staff has a collective IQ in single digits.

There is literally zero reason for Cristobal to have a job by morning.

None. Nada. Zip.

Why would ANY recruit ever play for a staff THAT incompetent?

I have no idea how Shannon Dawson continues to get OC jobs. He was attached to Holgorsen when he was a hot name, but those days are long gone. I'm sure Miami will let him go after this year, he'll go running back to Dana for a year or two and then someone else will give him another chance.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:47 PM   #371
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
How did Kentucky so completely break Devin Leary?

Actually, he was broken last year at NC State. Before he got injured midway through the season, he was about 80th nationally in passing efficiency.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 12:17 AM   #372
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey Double V, long time no type. Miss our poker threads (Before Black Monday took poker "officially" off line)
Old 10-08-2023, 12:18 AM   #373
RainMaker
General Manager

I would be curious if there is a team that had a higher win probability on one of those charts that ended up losing the game. Their win probability had to be like 99.9999%. Theirs been some dumb ways to lose but I can't think of a worse one in recent memory.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:20 AM   #374
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
$$$?

This is the right answer. Miami will continue to recruit at an elite level even if they go 0-13 with Cristobal taking a giant dump on the logo at half time every game, until the NCAA gets its shit together with NIL.

So in conclusion, Miami will continue to recruit at an elite level.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 02:50 AM   #375
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not at the same level (same galaxy really) as the Miami screwup.. how did Arizona State leave a guy THAT wide open in the last minute of the Colorado game? One thing if it was a short pass, catch and run for that big a gain, but there was like, noone within yards of the guy.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:19 AM   #376
Edward64
Head Coach

All I gotta say is I'm glad I've stopped watching the Hogs.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:52 AM   #377
Ksyrup

I could only make it until 1am before I cashed in. Looks like I missed triple OT. Too bad USC won but I have to imagine Penix puts up 700 total yards against that D.

Also, it appears a shipment of UK bud light cans was accidentally sent to Louisville for last night's game. Whoops! They never saw the light of day, of course.

And finally, FSU, Louisville and UNC are all undefeated... and none of them plays the other.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-08-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #378
Ksyrup

Cristobal doesn't take a knee at the end of any games. All 4 games before this one, they've run plays to end the game regardless of score. That's got to be someone looking to pad stats and avoid 2 or 3 (-2) yard attempts to hit his statistical bottom line right? I mean, I get it, I suppose. But 41-7 against Temple is not 20-17. What a maroon!
Old 10-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #379
bob
College Starter

I've seen lots of bad coaching decisions before, but usually you can understand what the upside is if the play works out.

Example, I thought it was dumb for ND to go for 4th and 11 from their own 35ish yard line with 11 minutes to go when down 11 points, but if they convert, they keep the ball. There is an upside.

I don't understand not kneeling for Miami. What's the upside? Even if you were trying to get to 100 yards for the RB, he got there on the previous play. They couldn't cover the spread with a garbage TD. What's the upside?
Old 10-08-2023, 09:39 AM   #380
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
And finally, FSU, Louisville and UNC are all undefeated... and none of them plays the other.
>12 team conferences are garbage for this reason alone, >10 team ones if you don't split into two divisions. I know it has as low a chance as Georgia Tech winning last night but I'd love to see one of them go undefeated and not even make their conference championship game to expose the charade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I've seen lots of bad coaching decisions before, but usually you can understand what the upside is if the play works out.

Example, I thought it was dumb for ND to go for 4th and 11 from their own 35ish yard line with 11 minutes to go when down 11 points, but if they convert, they keep the ball. There is an upside.
Based off who ND should be and how they played the first 6 games I wouldn't have liked it, based off what I was seeing last night I didn't have a problem with it. They were running the ball decently well on us, plus you have the new clock rules, you're running out of possessions. Defense even did it's job and held them to a FG too so it was still a 2 score game, Hartman just immediately threw another pick and the rout was on. 2 turnovers all season coming in for the team, Sam Hartman credited with 5 last night, credit to Louisville for causing them.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #381
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even if you were trying to get to 100 yards for the RB, he got there on the previous play.

Best I can tell from the box score today -- and this is what I thought in real time last night -- he was only at 99 on that fateful carry.

Box score (at CBS, espn one is oddly unavailable atm) shows him with 103 for the game, and 4 yards on the last carry, so 99.

He'd gone over a hundred earlier (per announcers in real time) but I knew he lost 2 yards two plays prior. I thought he gained only 1 back on his penultimate carry, tho pbp at cbs says 2

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-08-2023 at 09:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #382
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Cristobal doesn't take a knee at the end of any games. All 4 games before this one, they've run plays to end the game regardless of score. That's got to be someone looking to pad stats and avoid 2 or 3 (-2) yard attempts to hit his statistical bottom line right? I mean, I get it, I suppose. But 41-7 against Temple is not 20-17. What a maroon!

He's an idiot because it's burned him before

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #383
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
He's an idiot because it's burned him before

I don't think it's patently ridiculous to run it on 2nd & 2 when a 1st down wins the game and kneeling guarantees you have to punt with like 16 seconds left, we've seen that exact scenario lead to a different shocking loss. Was actually pretty impressed yesterday Alabama was able to pull off the "run around a couple seconds then launch the ball high enough and out of bounds" to kill off the last 7 seconds on 4th down instead of punting.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #384
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Huh? I don't think he's the best in game coach and not sure if he just needs more experience or he'll never get there (very young staff too), but I thought before the season ND was a top 25 team not a national title contender and they seem to be about that level. He's recruiting very well, seems like a breath of fresh air PR wise after Brian Kelly and Charlie Weis which isn't nothing. The two OT's who are supposed to be a top 10 pick and a 1st rounder got destroyed 1v1 tonight, either they're hurt, banged up after 2 wars, or the Louisville DE combo is very underrated, credit to the the Cardinals but I'm not sure who is trying to run Freeman out of town for losing on the road to an undefeated top 25 team. We just saw an inexplicably worse loss that is 100% on the coaches in Miami (ok 98% on them, 2% on the safety and deep corner who bit up on the route instead of staying in quarters or whatever it was.)

The ND fan base has changed a lot if hey are okay with the loss to OSU and the coaching screw ups and then losing to Louisville. I like Freeman a lot, but if he's not on the hot seat ND is basically at the Iowa level now.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:23 PM   #385
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The ND fan base has changed a lot if hey are okay with the loss to OSU and the coaching screw ups and then losing to Louisville. I like Freeman a lot, but if he's not on the hot seat ND is basically at the Iowa level now.

Oh that seat definitely has some warmth but I think demoting the OC would cool it some ... until they keep looking so-so
Old 10-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #386
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It was a known risk to hire a first time head coach, seat seemed a lot warmer after the way he lost the bowl game then the loss to Marshall (then Stanford). He bought some goodwill with the way the team improved on the field last year, and as devastating as the ending to OSU was that was the first time it felt like ND was outplaying a national title contender for a whole game (though now I think Holtz may have been more right and OSU/Ryan Day are just soft.)

Part of the sales job was that the recruiting wasn't there to actually win a title, he seems to be winning a lot of those battles and the biggest ones he lost on or near signing day (plus Tommy Rees) were known $$$ issues so the boosters can't really blame him there. Young and charismatic is also a nice breath of fresh air after Weis/Kelly, and while I was on board firing Willingham the optics of firing a 2nd African-American head coach while Weis got the full 5 and how Kelly's first 5 started would be pretty brutal. If they're uncompetitive vs USC and lose an additional game or two or Louisville turns back into a pumpkin sure maybe, right now they lost in competitive games vs two undefeated teams in a year no one had championship hopes coming in. Iowa seems vastly different because Ferentz seems to have the program playing near it's reasonable ceiling, the deadweight that is his brother is just the issue and with the contract stuff it seems like they're trying to find a way to fire him without firing Kirk or Kirk leaving.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:07 PM   #387
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina picks up a win against the always tough App State field where they have never won at before. They recovered a fumble on a long play, then drove the field to get a last second FG for the win 27-24.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-10-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:49 PM   #388
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina picks up a win against the always tough App State field where they have never won at before. They recovered a fumble on a long play, then drove the field to get a last second FG for the win 27-24.

That was a very good game. Congrats to Coastal on a tough win.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:47 PM   #389
bob
College Starter

"I can promise you -- Georgia, they bought some pretty good players," Mark Stoops said Monday in response to an upset fan on his weekly radio show. "You're allowed to these days, and we could use some help. That's what they look like, you know what I mean, when you have 85 of 'em. I encourage anybody that's disgruntled to pony up some more."
Old 10-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #390
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The funny thing is, Georgia is not even in the top 10 in NIL money. Heck, they are like 5th in the SEC. It is almost like it takes more than money to be successful.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2023, 11:09 AM   #391
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
"I can promise you -- Georgia, they bought some pretty good players," Mark Stoops said Monday in response to an upset fan on his weekly radio show. "You're allowed to these days, and we could use some help. That's what they look like, you know what I mean, when you have 85 of 'em. I encourage anybody that's disgruntled to pony up some more."

PJ Fleck said much the same. Unfortunately, he said it about two seconds after a terrible loss to Northwestern.

Quote:
"We had players that were here that are now gone, playing at another school that should be here playing right now. Because again, NIL. We didn't pay them. We didn't pay them enough," Fleck said Wednesday on his weekly radio show.

"That is the fact of life. And I know that we all laugh at it but that is a fact. So if we want to keep players, all these guys we have, they won't be here next year. Just making sure everybody understands. Our fans, [the good players] won't be here. We'll be a Triple-A ballclub for somebody else. That is the reality and the truth of the situation. So please, contact Dinkytown Athletes."
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:22 AM   #392
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa travels to Wiscy for the West title game. Iowa is a 10 point dog. Im not sure either team will score 10.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #393
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The funny thing is, Georgia is not even in the top 10 in NIL money. Heck, they are like 5th in the SEC. It is almost like it takes more than money to be successful.

I read it as NIL + "companionship"
Old 10-12-2023, 12:10 PM   #394
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wah Wah Wah.

These coaches crying poor as an excuse for losing is lame.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 12:26 PM   #395
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The amusing thing about Stoops is he only got his start because of his name. Then he only became a coordinator because of his brother. And then he left his brother to take a job at a bigger school for more money... the exact thing he's complaining about.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 12:37 PM   #396
Ksyrup

That quote had nothing to do with UGA specifically. It was a message to UK donors. UGA just happened to be the highly ranked SEC team they lost to.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:02 PM   #397
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I read it as NIL + "companionship"
Because no other college has hot girls on campus willing to sleep with football players.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:40 PM   #398
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Because no other college has hot girls on campus willing to sleep with football players.

Perhaps not many quite at the rate they do in Athens.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #399
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Old 10-12-2023, 02:51 PM   #400
GrantDawg

Quote:
Yup. Those Texas A&M girls are ugly prudes, which is why they spend so much more than everyone else without winning crap. That sounds realistic and logical.