Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #401
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Btw, I have been to games at Ole Miss. If it were just hot girls ready to put out that made the diffidence, they would be Alabama.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #402
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yup. Those Texas A&M girls are ugly prudes, which is why they spend so much more than everyone else without winning crap. That sounds realistic and logical.

Can't decide if you shaded/dissed the women of the teams/states that are perennially in the bottom half of the SEC.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:29 PM   #403
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Can't decide if you shaded/dissed the women of the teams/states that are perennially in the bottom half of the SEC.
It is not my contention that women putting out is that much of a factor in winning. There are very few college campus that don't have plenty of hot women willing to sleep with football players. I have been a game at Arkansas. That is not the reason they haven't won a championship. I could only think of one campus I have been on that would be a bit lighter on that, but I don't want to just slam a rival.
Old 10-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Btw, I have been to games at Ole Miss. If it were just hot girls ready to put out that made the diffidence, they would be Alabama.

Difference is, they're a) a lot hotter, and b) a good bit less football-centric about their "dates"

It's a cottage industry here, has been for decades. Hell, that's how they secured Herschel.

(And I say that with some confidence since I happen to personally know who was assigned to sleep with him)
Old 10-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #405
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Reiterate, it's time for something different in College Football if NIL is to continue (which it should). Yes, I know it will NEVER happen, but...

Just make it a U23 pro league. There are currently 128 FBS teams and 133 FCS teams.

Divide FBS in to 4 32 team "leagues", each made up of 4 8 team divsions, divided roughly by geography.

Teams play each other teams in their division once (7 games), and can play any other team in the league with their other 4-5 games (which are treated like non-conference games currently)

The top team in each division, plus four wild-cards (determined by highest poll rankings) advance to an 8 team championship for the league.

Promotion and Relgation: The 8th place team in each division is relegated to a lower division (except in the lowest divsion of course). The 7th Place team division plays the quarter final loser in the playoffs for the league below in a promotion/relegation game.

So, this is how it'd look:

League 1: The four division winners and four wildcards play for the National Football Championship. Last place team gets relegated to League 2, 7th place team plays League 2 QF losers to determine who's in League 1 and who's in League 2

League 2: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 1, losers will play the 7th place League 1 teams for promotion. 8th place relegated to League three, 7th place will play QF losers of League 3 for promotion/relegation

League 3: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 2, losers will play the 7th place League 2 teams for promotion. Last place teams fall to league 4, 7th place plays Division 4's QF losers to stay in League 3

League 4: League 2: Four Division winners and four wildcards play in an 8 team tournament. Quarter-Finals winners are promoted to League 3, QF losers play the 7th place team to try to go up.

As new teams get filtered into FBS, the League 4 divisions will expand to 9-10 team divisions.. after 8 new teams join, then a new fifth League 4 division is formed (and then start to look in expanding)

This allows teams to be judged against teams of roughly the same caliber, but gives a number of slots to keep traditional rivals. If teams want to book games against lower level teams, sure.. but remember, the voters may judge you for it, if you don't play top competition and don't win your division, you're at the mercy of the voters to get into the playoffs (which are the only way to get promoted)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:11 PM   #406
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Garrett Greene giveth, and Garrett Greene taketh away.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:25 PM   #407
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I could only think of one campus I have been on that would be a bit lighter on that, but I don't want to just slam a rival.

Oh com’on, don’t be coy. Everyone wants to know now …
Old 10-12-2023, 10:28 PM   #408
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Crazy walk off Hail Mary win for Houston over WVU.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:31 PM   #409
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Crazy walk off Hail Mary win for Houston over WVU.

Fire Neal Brown
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:37 PM   #410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh com’on, don’t be coy. Everyone wants to know now …

Ooh ooh, I know I know

And, to be honest, he ain't wrong.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #411
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Fire Neal Brown

This one is going to take awhile to get over. I'm not sure I have ever been so stunned by a relatively meaningless game. Neal actually showed some emotion at the post game press conference, so that was interesting. If we don't win Homecoming over a very beatable Okla St, the hot seat is going to be back up to a 10 in a hurry.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #412
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This one is going to take awhile to get over. I'm not sure I have ever been so stunned by a relatively meaningless game. Neal actually showed some emotion at the post game press conference, so that was interesting. If we don't win Homecoming over a very beatable Okla St, the hot seat is going to be back up to a 10 in a hurry.

I didn't like the hire from the beginning. I think he was hired mostly because he was the anti-dana. He was clean, organized, well spoken, and was big on team culture. However, I was willing to give him a chance.

He's still the same coach he was in the Sun Belt, nothing has really changed, and that's the problem. What wins in the Sun Belt doesn't necessarily work at the P5 level. Inefficient ball control, shorten the game, hope the other team makes mistakes, and then squeeze out a win just isn't a very good recipe for success in the Big 12.

The 4-1 start this year included a 3 touchdown loss to Penn State, a win over Duquesne, a win over Pitt and the worst P5 quarterback (who's now a TE) by a mile, and a win over Texas Tech and their backup QB. The TCU win was nice, but Sonny Dykes also just shit the bed for that game. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look as clueless on the sidelines as he did and I've been watching 5 years of Neal Brown.

What it comes down to is Brown is an awful offensive coach, which as an air raid guy is one hell of an accomplishment. The way he wants to win goes against everything analytics have shown is a way to win on a consistent basis, while claiming to be an analytics guy.

Dana outcoached him last night, which was a massive gut punch. Watching Dana, with a far less talented team, figure out our weak spots as the game went on and continually attack them while Brown tried to get cute with tons of motion, etc was embarrassing. He was forced to open things up in the 2nd half or Houston was going to run away with it, but the lesson he probably got from that was to back to what he's comfortable with and just pound Donaldson and Greene up the middle until he's forced to do something else and then hope that works.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What it comes down to is Brown is an awful offensive coach, which as an air raid guy is one hell of an accomplishment.

Y'know, that feels like an underrated solid point
Old 10-14-2023, 01:02 AM   #414
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The catch of the year just happened on a Saturday at 2 in the morning (eastern) in Colorado-Stanford.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:04 AM   #415
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The catch of the year just happened on a Saturday at 2 in the morning (eastern) in Colorado-Stanford.

I was wondering if anyone else was watching this. Crazy CU was up 29-0 at halftime and Stanford out scores them 36-7 in the second half. 43 all in OT. This is like the old WAC conference games in the 1980s.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:08 AM   #416
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/Hayesfawcett3/st...73062285889871

13 catches, 294 yards on the day,
Old 10-14-2023, 01:10 AM   #417
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow looks like Colorado blew it. That is a terrible loss for CU. They really will need to fix their line and oline for next year. I am not sure they win another game this year.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:11 AM   #418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Go Trees Go

Bwahahaha
Old 10-14-2023, 01:12 AM   #419
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

That was downright abusive lol
Old 10-14-2023, 01:45 AM   #420
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was downright abusive lol

I mean, what the hell is the defender supposed to do in that situation. And you KNOW despite that, it's going to be eating him for days to come.. he'll wake up from a nightmare, where the receiver's arms turn into tenteacles and wrap around his head to catch the ball.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:00 AM   #421
RainMaker
General Manager

That's some Randy Moss style stuff.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:13 AM   #422
bronconick
College Starter

Just abused the September Heisman winner all night long.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #423
Edward64
Head Coach

Looked up biggest comebacks.

So I'm guessing a 29 point comeback is in Top 10-15?

Quote:
35 points — Michigan State defeats Northwestern on Oct. 21, 2006
34 points — UCLA defeats Texas A&M on Sept. 3, 2017
32 points — UCLA defeats Washington State on Sept. 21, 2019
31 points — Maryland defeats Miami on Nov. 10, 1984
31 points — Ohio State defeats Minnesota on Oct. 28, 1989
31 points — Texas Tech defeats Minnesota on Dec. 29, 2006
31 points — TCU defeats Oregon on Jan. 2, 2016
31 points — Tulsa defeats Fresno State on Sept. 24, 2016
30 points — California defeats Oregon on Oct. 2, 1993
Old 10-14-2023, 08:10 AM   #424
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looked up biggest comebacks.

So I'm guessing a 29 point comeback is in Top 10-15?

Well it is college where most teams can’t spell defense.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:58 AM   #425
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I agree with Deion that these late night games are ridiculous. More of the country should get to see these implosions while we're awake.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #426
Ksyrup

Keon Coleman just made a leaping 1-handed catch that was absolutely amazing.

And then fumbled on the next play, of course.

Edit: Here it is.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-14-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #427
GrantDawg

Brock Bowers is coming off the field, and every Georgia fan just started praying.
Old 10-14-2023, 12:19 PM   #428
GrantDawg

Quote:
Brock Bowers is coming off the field, and every Georgia fan just started praying.
He had to have help to walk him back to the locker-room. He seemed mad when he went to the turf, like he knew something gave. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it seems, but not looking great.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #429
Ksyrup

I know it's a no-win situation for coaches of teams that are overmatched, but I don't understand not trying to win and going for the semi-blowout score loss. Dino Babers today is coaching for a kinda-bad loss instead of 35+ point loss.

FSU is up on Syracuse 24-3 about 4 minutes left in the 3rd, Syracuse has it 4th and 6 at about the FSU 15. Immediately sends out the FG team, yet somehow still gets a delay penalty (may have been some hedging on the headset but they clearly pulled the offense immediately). Kicker shanks it. So, you don't even get the 3 points that wouldn't have done anything to help you win anyway.

Then, FSU is up 27-3 12 minutes left in the 4th, 4th and 7 right around the 50. YOU HAVE TO SCORE OTHERWISE THE GAME IS OVER. They punt. WHY?

And guess what? FSU scored anyway. 34-3 now with just under 10 minutes left.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-14-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #430
GrantDawg

What a crazy sequence. Tip ball gets picked by Vandy, and it looked like an easy pick 6 until the defender got inside the 5 and Carson Beck comes at him like a bullet. He lowered his shoulder and nailed him to knock him out of bounds. Unfortunately the defender got his leg caught and might have ripped his knee.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:05 PM   #431
bronconick
College Starter

Purdue really had a student make a 40-yard field goal during a timeout, then the Boilermakers’ real kicker missed a 39-yarder
Old 10-14-2023, 02:12 PM   #432
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Purdue really had a student make a 40-yard field goal during a timeout, then the Boilermakers’ real kicker missed a 39-yarder

Ha! Guess we know who will be suiting up next week
Old 10-14-2023, 02:19 PM   #433
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I know one team was 2-3 entering the game, and the other was 4-2, but seeing Rutgers beating Michigan St is kinda "my how the mighty have fallen" in my head.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #434
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've watched more than my fair share of shitty QBs over a long lifetime but I swear I'm pretty sure that Joe Milton is in the top five of "guys I fucking HATE to watch"

He's like watching a North Korean missile. It may fire but nobody knows where the fuck it's going to land.
Old 10-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #435
bronconick
College Starter

As much as I hate the conference realignment, I'm going to love watching Oregon ripping the faces off of shitty Big Ten football teams. I'm looking at you, unwatchable Iowa and Wisconsin.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:12 PM   #436
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
As much as I hate the conference realignment, I'm going to love watching Oregon ripping the faces off of shitty Big Ten football teams. I'm looking at you, unwatchable Iowa and Wisconsin.

Probably shaking in their boots as they watch tape of their bowl game a few years ago against Michigan State where Hebert mustered one touchdown in the 4th quarter.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:14 PM   #437
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I've watched more than my fair share of shitty QBs over a long lifetime but I swear I'm pretty sure that Joe Milton is in the top five of "guys I fucking HATE to watch"

He's like watching a North Korean missile. It may fire but nobody knows where the fuck it's going to land.

I was explaining to Mrs. A the other day that hating a playing and him sucking are correlated, but the correlation isn't as strong as you'd think.

Some guys just have a way of sucking that makes you HATE them in a way that other guys don't
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #438
Ksyrup

I suppose if you justify everything by saying "we play aggressive" that it's supposed to mask a bunch of stupid decisions? What say you, Lanning?
Old 10-14-2023, 06:26 PM   #439
bronconick
College Starter

College kickers, man
Old 10-14-2023, 06:29 PM   #440
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

I remember Nebby saying the same thing.

Iowa Iowa's to the title game. Who needs offense?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #441
bob
College Starter

Quote:
College kickers, man

Maybe that's why they went for those other 4th downs instead of kicking the FGs.

Two weeks in a row with really fun games that I don't have routing interests in - Texas / Oklahoma and this one.

Last edited by bob : 10-14-2023 at 06:40 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:40 PM   #442
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I was explaining to Mrs. A the other day that hating a playing and him sucking are correlated, but the correlation isn't as strong as you'd think.

Some guys just have a way of sucking that makes you HATE them in a way that other guys don't

Reggie f'n Ball
Jordan f'n Ta'amu
Joe f'n Milton

I've had plenty of shitty QBs to endure but those are the ones that ended up with middle names.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:42 PM   #443
Ksyrup

What QB is everyone supposed to be tanking for?
Old 10-14-2023, 07:44 PM   #444
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not counting channel flipping, so far today we've seen 5 quarters of football as our primary game (UT-A&M and now Miami-UNC)

In those five quarters we've seen 33 penalties for 323 yards ... and could have easily added another 10 and 100+ if the refs were remotely capable.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #445
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What QB is everyone supposed to be tanking for?

I've had this same thought over the last couple of weeks. I was more impressed with the way Young played last year than what I've seen of Williams this year, but I'm not a QB evaluator, so what do I know?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #446
Ksyrup

Caleb Williams looks terrible. No discipline, bad footwork, throwing the ball up for grabs. Yikes.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:55 PM   #447
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Caleb Williams looks terrible. No discipline, bad footwork, throwing the ball up for grabs. Yikes.

Ok, let me start a conspiracy theory: Williams is playing poorly to lower his draft stock so bad teams won't want him. 6-D Chess, man.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:57 PM   #448
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Play six bad teams in a row, bad habits can form. Things you get away with against some teams, not so much against others.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #449
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He's got incredible talent, has a great feel for the game, and anticipates guys coming open pretty well, but he freelances a ton and Notre Dame is playing very disciplined football on defense.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:16 PM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, last week Cristobal made the dumbest coaching call in at least two decades.

Just now the DC runs onto the field for no actual reason, giving UNC a 4th & 1 conversion via penalty.

I don't think it's unreasonable to feel like drug testing the coaching staff in Miami is appropriate.