Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2024, 11:48 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

2024 oscars

Nominations came out this morning. A few years ago my wife and I committed to watching every best picture nomination and tried to watch every other major award.

Having kids we don't really get to the theater for many grown up movies so I have only seen 2 best pictures. Barbie and Oppenheimer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/23/m...nees-list.html

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:53 AM   #2
molson
General Manager

I saw American Fiction last night so I'm up to 5 of the best picture nominees.

I knew the premise of American Fiction going in, but it hit me harder than I expected with the other things it brought to the table too - family, connecting, extroversion.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I heard it was fantastic. I am looking forward to that and the holdovers. I'm sure Killers of the Flower Moon is fabulous but man, sooooo long. I've heard interviews with the author, and am currently reading one of his other books, The Wager, and its very interesting.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:01 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Flower Moon is one of those movies that's obviously excellent in all ways, but, not really a lot of fun to watch.

American Fiction was a better movie experience for me. I think I'd pick that one as my favorite of the nominated movies over Barbie, Oppenheimer, Flower Moon, and the Holdovers. With Holdovers second. That one has kind of the opposite issue of Flower Moon - it doesn't feel like a Oscar masterpiece, it doesn't have those sweeping societal stakes that the Academy loves (which is kind of what American Fiction parodies) but, when you break down the pieces, everything about it is great.

The more I think about American Fiction the more provocative it seems, I'm not sure it's really gotten the controversy/discussion it deserves. It basically mocks "wokeness", or, at least what society thinks is "woke" in way that could kind be mis-used in the wrong hands. And the movie is aware of that and has something to say about that too. I could see a Fox News analysis that American Fiction "bravely takes on the liberal elite", and, it kind of does and is not afraid of saying so.

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:08 PM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I heard it was fantastic. I am looking forward to that and the holdovers. I'm sure Killers of the Flower Moon is fabulous but man, sooooo long. I've heard interviews with the author, and am currently reading one of his other books, The Wager, and its very interesting.

I read The Wager for a book club. It was pretty good. I think that is also going to be Martin Scorsese's next movie starring Leonardo Decaprio.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:18 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I read The Wager for a book club. It was pretty good. I think that is also going to be Martin Scorsese's next movie starring Leonardo Decaprio.

i've heard that as well.

If you liked the Wager highly recommend In the The Heart Of The Sea, or really anything by Philbrick. It is the true story of Moby Dick but they use the actual journal of one of the crew to recreate the events. It is excellent.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:20 PM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Barbie being up for Best Picture is insane to me. I could see it being up for categories like costume design or something but Best Picture? Good grief.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:13 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Barbie being up for Best Picture is insane to me. I could see it being up for categories like costume design or something but Best Picture? Good grief.

It is insane.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:26 PM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can give you a billion reasons why The Barbie Movie was nominated. I really don't get why it is so crazy. It was a very popular and well-received movie. There have been many movies that did worse on both accounts that have been nominated.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:17 PM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Barbie deserved more nominations than it got.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:30 PM   #11
Schmidty
Coordinator

I still don’t get it. I’m not overly critical of popcorn movies, so it isn’t that. I understand that it also had a message that appealed to a lot of people. I raised a daughter, so I get that too. I just didn’t like the movie.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:17 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm with Team Oppenheimer.

Barbie was fun but that's about it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 02:28 AM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

there are a million movies a year put up for this award. it is no longer prestigiouis to be nominated.

and what I've heard about it it's grade A satire
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 02:32 AM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Also I've heard a LOT of bitching on facebook about ryan gosling getting nominated for an acting award yet Margot Robbie and Greta the director NOT being nominated for Barbie. Once I took a look at all the nominations, I DON'T think there are any shenanigans or ultrasexism going on. It's business as usual. The Best Actor/Actress/Director awards are usually filled with heavy dramas as the nominations while the comedy/satire nomintations are always somewhat full of the comedy/satire stuff. At least that's usually the only acting/directing nominations they get.

So Ryan Gosling and American Ferrara being nominated and no one else is kinda standard.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:44 AM   #15
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Barbie did well at the box office, but is it any different than Avengers Infinity War, or any Star Wars movie? They'll get a high IMDB rating, get huge box offices, and will never be nominated. Any genre stuff usually gets completely ignored. At best they'll be nominated for special effects, soundtrack or editing.

Same with horror movies. When Evil Lurks is one of the most original horror movies in years, or something like Hereditary, but the last horror movie nominated for Best Picture is Get Out in 2017. And it's the only one since 2010.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:59 AM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Same with horror movies. When Evil Lurks is one of the most original horror movies in years, or something like Hereditary, but the last horror movie nominated for Best Picture is Get Out in 2017. And it's the only one since 2010.

I’ll have to watch “When Evil Lurks”.

Hereditary was amazing. Amazing in a way that I am so glad that I watched it and it was a masterpiece, but it was so fucked up that I never want to see it again. I saw “Midsommar” by the same writer and didn’t think it was nearly as good.

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-25-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:21 PM   #17
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I’ll have to watch “When Evil Lurks”.

Hereditary was amazing. Amazing in a way that I am so glad that I watched it and it was a masterpiece, but it was so fucked up that I never want to see it again. I saw “Midsommar” by the same writer and didn’t think it was nearly as good.

I would say When Evil Lurks, Talk to Me and Speak No Evil would be my fave horror films of the year.

I actually didn't know that Midsommar was by the same writer as Hereditary!

We actually go to the After Dark Film Festival in Toronto every year and this year's big hit was Late Night With the Devil, which hasn't been widely released yet. It's like a 70's talk show where they're in sweeps week on the verge of being cancelled, and decide to run a live seance on air. Also VERY original and they pull it off perfectly.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:24 PM   #18
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Barbie did well at the box office, but is it any different than Avengers Infinity War, or any Star Wars movie? They'll get a high IMDB rating, get huge box offices, and will never be nominated. Any genre stuff usually gets completely ignored. At best they'll be nominated for special effects, soundtrack or editing.

The writing on Barbie was much better than the Avengers, and many times better than the Star Wars movies. Not even in the same league.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The writing on Barbie was much better than the Avengers, and many times better than the Star Wars movies. Not even in the same league.

What about “Guardians of the Galaxy”? I think that was as clever and heartfelt as “Barbie”. Why didn’t it get the same attention?

I just think these awards are about current culture as a whole, not simply quality. The culture that picks the winners, not some God-like arbitrator of Truth.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:10 PM   #20
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
What about “Guardians of the Galaxy”? I think that was as clever and heartfelt as “Barbie”. Why didn’t it get the same attention?

I just think these awards are about current culture as a whole, not simply quality. The culture that picks the winners, not some God-like arbitrator of Truth.
Who said they were picked by some God like arbiter of truth? Of course it is culture, or when they actually affect culture. The Barbie Movie was a cultural event, Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't.
Look, The Barbie Movie is not winning. It was nominated based on the cultural impact and it's success. I have no idea why this is such a big deal. All of these awards are "eye of the beholder" type opinions, and this group liked this movie. It is not some objective truth that is being ignored.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #21
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Also I've heard a LOT of bitching on facebook about ryan gosling getting nominated for an acting award yet Margot Robbie and Greta the director NOT being nominated for Barbie. Once I took a look at all the nominations, I DON'T think there are any shenanigans or ultrasexism going on. It's business as usual. The Best Actor/Actress/Director awards are usually filled with heavy dramas as the nominations while the comedy/satire nomintations are always somewhat full of the comedy/satire stuff. At least that's usually the only acting/directing nominations they get.

So Ryan Gosling and American Ferrara being nominated and no one else is kinda standard.
Of course it wasn't sexism in the case of Gosling and Robbie. They aren't even competing in the same category. It really more says this was a strong year for Best Actress that she couldn't even get a nomination, and a probably a somewhat down year for Best Supporting Actor and Actress. I think it was the symbolism that people are referring to. "The star of a movie that satirizes how women have a harder time being recognized and taken seriously doesn't get the nomination, but the male supporting actor does."

As for director, there is a long history there of women being snubbed. There is one female director nominated this year, but she is only the 8th female director nominee in the HISTORY of the Academy Awards. 96 years, 8 women. There is a long history of woman directed films being nominated Best Picture and the director getting snubbed. Meanwhile Martin Scorsese could direct a car commercial and get a nomination. He got a nomination for "The Irishmen" for Pete's sake, and that was over-bloated a steaming pile.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-25-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:18 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

The list of nominated documentaries is almost comical in its depicted misery. Maybe they should split the award up into happy and sad categories

I saw the Ukraine one online through Sundance last year.

Bobi Wine: The People’s President - Ugandan opposition leader Bobi Wine uses his music to fight the regime led by Yoweri Museveni, who's led the country for 35 years, and runs in the 2021 presidential election. In this fight, he must also take on the country’s police and military, which are not afraid to use violence and torture in a vain attempt to intimidate and silence him and his supporters.

The Eternal Memory - an elderly Chilean woman dealing with her husband developing Alzheimer's

Four Daughters - about a Tunisian woman whose two eldest daughters were radicalized by Islamic extremists

To Kill a Tiger - a father demands justice for his 13-year-old daughter, the victim of a brutal gang rape in India

20 Days in Mariupol - as the Russian invasion begins, a team of Ukrainian journalists trapped in the besieged city of Mariupol struggle to continue their work documenting the war

Last edited by molson : 01-25-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #23
GrantDawg

First award was a great one. The Holdovers overall was a good not great film, but Da'vine Joy Randolf was fantastic in that role.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #24
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Poor Things running away with it. It's gonna win bp
Old 03-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Boy and the Heron!
Old 03-10-2024, 07:19 PM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Please paul giamatti
Old 03-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Poor Things running away with it. It's gonna win bp

This would be insane.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #28
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Downey¡@@@
Old 03-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #29
GrantDawg

Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic in that role.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:49 PM   #30
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

There was another godzilla movie?
Old 03-10-2024, 07:56 PM   #31
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That other Godzilla movie was fantastic. Broke Rotten Tomatoes I think
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:04 PM   #32
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Did godzilla win the fight?
Old 03-10-2024, 08:10 PM   #33
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
That other Godzilla movie was fantastic. Broke Rotten Tomatoes I think

It was awesome, especially when you see the budget they were able to make it with.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Zone of interest looks creepy
Old 03-10-2024, 08:21 PM   #35
GrantDawg

Robert Downey Jr. win was the first Oscar ever won by a former Saturday Night Live cast member. Really crazy when you think about it. To think it was 32 years ago when he was nominated for Best Actor for "Chsplin." The thought was then he would be a regular for Academy nominations. Then, the drug thing happened. He finally got that Oscar.

Old 03-10-2024, 08:54 PM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Pail Reubens
Old 03-10-2024, 09:10 PM   #37
GrantDawg

This has been the most entertaining awards show in quite awhile.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:24 PM   #38
GrantDawg

No surprise it was Oppenheimer. What was a surprise was Emma Stone, who obviously didn't think she was going to win.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:30 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think anyone thought she'd win. She's a great actress but had no business winning this year. Also don't understand the love for Poor Things.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:04 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kimmel absolutely body slamming Katie Britt was amazing.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:32 AM   #41
Danny
Head Coach

I was curious and looks like the only movie nomimated for best picture in the last three years that I've seen is Dune. Ill probably see the new top gun at some point too.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:25 AM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic in that role.

+1

it wasn't until about halfway through the movie that I realized it was him playing the role
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:10 AM   #43
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Same cartman and I felt like a pretty big idiot when I did finally recognize him
Old 03-11-2024, 11:04 AM   #44
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think anyone thought she'd win. She's a great actress but had no business winning this year. Also don't understand the love for Poor Things.

Her and Lily basically split every Actress award leading up to tonight. Her performance and win was completely justified.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 AM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
+1

it wasn't until about halfway through the movie that I realized it was him playing the role

I didn't realize until after. We were in the parking lot and my wife commented on how great he was and I was like, what? He was in the movie?
Old 03-11-2024, 12:56 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Her and Lily basically split every Actress award leading up to tonight. Her performance and win was completely justified.

It might be my bias becuase I really thought Poor Things sucked as a movie.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #47
Schmidty
Coordinator

Ok. This will not be about the awards.

This will be about that little, fucking pile of human scum, Kimmel. Or whatever that fuck is named.

I get jokes. I love all of the best comics. Come at us as humans. Nobody should be canceled.

But I guess I’m just a guy who gives credit to my brothers and sisters struggling with a past. And this little fuckface jokes about one of my brothers who is obviously doing way better than said fuckface? I would have stormed the stage. I’d have knocked that fucking untalented, unfunny elitist out. And I wouldn’t have hugged it out after that either.

I’d have slept very well in jail that night too. And if I saw goofy fucking smirk again? I’d sleep well after lighting that fuck up after that too.

Don’t fuck with a brother doing his best. Or you will get it.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:02 PM   #48
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

que?
Old 03-11-2024, 03:52 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Schmity. I’m assuming you mean Robert Downey and I agree. I told my wife it’s never ok to mock addiction.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:03 PM   #50
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Schmity. I’m assuming you mean Robert Downey and I agree. I told my wife it’s never ok to mock addiction.

Absolutely correct. It sended me into a rage.