Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Action! PC Golf: Available

For those that enjoy a good PC golf strategy/simulation game, Action! PC Golf is coming out Saturday 4/13, even possibly tomorrow night. If you haven't heard of this game, you'll want to check it out if your a golf fan, especially with the Masters going on. I had the opporunity to test the game and it is fantastic! I would highly recommend you check it out.

Until it comes out, check here for more information.

Official Forum (I did some write-ups explaining the game)
Golf Forum

Official Game Page (pictures and details)
Action! PC Golf

If you are interested in it, they have special pricing through 4/14, so you will want to jump on it.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 05-12-2013 at 06:17 AM.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

bumping up since coming out this weekend.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
path12
Coordinator

I didn't notice anything about a demo on the website. Do you know if there is going to be one? Looks old school but kind of interesting.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I didn't notice anything about a demo on the website. Do you know if there is going to be one? Looks old school but kind of interesting.

I don't believe there will be one. However, if this game's policy is the same as the other games they sale (hockey, football, baseball, basketball), they offer a 30-day money back guarantee...you can return without any question which is better than a demo. I am assuming this will hold true for the golf game. Here is a link to refund policy.

http://shop.dksports.com/return-policy.aspx

As for this game, I would not classify it as old school. Sure, it is not an arcade game, but it is a really well done golf strategy/simulation game. On release, there will be 25 courses available and 4 seasons. When you play a tournament, it really feels like an actual tournament. Take some time to read through the forum, you'll gain a better understanding of what it has to offer. I personally believe it is a great golf game.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
path12
Coordinator

I don't want an arcade game. By old school I meant more that it reminded me of some of the Sports Illustrated board games back in the 70's.

Hard to pull the trigger on a game that has an AAA game cost without a demo but I know Dave Koch has been doing this for quite awhile, I remember seeing something about the football game back in CGW like 20 years ago.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Maybe this will be good.

TPG2/3 is such a shitty mess, the inability to modify your game really ruins it for me.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Maybe this will be good.

TPG2/3 is such a shitty mess, the inability to modify your game really ruins it for me.

Game has now been released.

In my opinion, this golf game is far better than TPG...it is a fantastic game that folks should try.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I don't want an arcade game. By old school I meant more that it reminded me of some of the Sports Illustrated board games back in the 70's.

Hard to pull the trigger on a game that has an AAA game cost without a demo but I know Dave Koch has been doing this for quite awhile, I remember seeing something about the football game back in CGW like 20 years ago.

But remember, money back if you don't want to keep before 30 days so much better than a demo....you get to try the full version. And the cost is up to you on how much you want to buy. You can get the base game, 1 season, and 10 courses for only $34 (sale price, regular $44) so pretty much inline with other sport games. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just a heads up the extra 10% off ends today (4/14). Also, if you were unaware, the company gives an additional 20% off your order if you spend more than $100 during checkout.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
path12
Coordinator

Pulled the trigger. Hoping to put a dynasty together on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Kevin
High School JV

Would like to buy it, but......

Quote:

Doesn't Dave know many PCs come with a very small C: partition on the hard drive for OS type files only? D: is the new standard for installing programs, (although Windows 8 still will try to force you to your small C partition.)

Won't buy until this is properly addressed.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Let me know how it goes....would be curious about your impressions. I personally really like it.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
path12
Coordinator

So I've been playing this the past couple days. Just casual rounds, I created a golfer but haven't played a tournament yet. I also have not used the swing meter and don't think I will, I don't think it would play to the game's strengths. This isn't Tiger Woods 20xx.

It plays like a board game, how you feel about that probably will have a lot to do about how much you like it. I grew up on the old Avalon Hill/3M/Sports Illustrated board games so that isn't a minus for me.

Your golfer is rated for driving distance/accuracy, long mid and short irons, wedges, putting, etc. To make a shot you choose your club, target, swing strength and bend and then hit the "SWING" button. Results seem to be a combination of course conditions, wind, terrain, your ratings/shot settings and likely some RNG. There are times you will have a shitty shot, just like real life.

Chipping and putting are more abstracted, you have four options for chipping but select your target accordingly. There is a line that shows you where you are aiming for the chip to hit and a gap to where you have set your target. Putting gives you three options, Lag, Putt and Aggressive. Each approach increases your chance of making the putt, but also increases the average distance you'll have coming back if you miss.

On the easiest setting the game tells you exactly how far your club will go in the current shot, and that makes it too easy. But uncheck some of the preferences and it turns a lot more challenging. I finally was able to break par at a couple of the courses, but it took a little while and at least so far the game has a fun level of challenge. Wind can be a bitch.

The graphics are the weakest point. You have actual top down aerial views of the courses, and while those are pretty at first, they are not very usable as far as making you feel the terrain. There is a meter that tells you slope and an option where the game will (way too briefly) show you terrain slopes, in a fashion. It's hard for me to get a good read on. An update that came out today keeps it on screen longer, but it is still too brief.

Anyway, this pretty aerial view at St. Andrews makes it really hard to see where the rough is, for just one example, or OB on 16 for another. You have a tiny dot that is your ball and the current flag superimposed on the photo but that's about it. A ground level view, while I'm sure significantly increasing the cost of the game would do wonders for immersion, or at least a better delineation of where out of bounds is.

My other nitpick has to do with the frustration of random number generation. I swear I'm missing way too many 99% two foot putts.

Bottom line, I like it for what it is. And I did find myself wondering just a little bit at work about whether I should have played a little more fade on my tee shot at Pebble Beach 18th that cost me double bogey and a +1 for the round.

Last edited by path12 : 04-16-2013 at 12:02 AM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Doesn't Dave know many PCs come with a very small C: partition on the hard drive for OS type files only? D: is the new standard for installing programs, (although Windows 8 still will try to force you to your small C partition.)

Won't buy until this is properly addressed.

He did release a patch yesterday which allows you to have the game on any drive you want.
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #15
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Path12,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and seems like you have a good handle on the game. For me it is the best golf sim available (not comparing to arcade games) but will always have room to grow as future versions come out, but even at version 1, I think it tops the competition that I know of. Couple comments.

1) I was wondering why you thought the short game was more abstracted then the long game. You still have the options that make sense for a short game which is different then the long game. You still need to read the course conditions, choose a shot type, aim for the target, etc. long game has other options for fade/draw and such, but those aren't used in the short game. I would be interested to know what more you think should be added in this area.

2) as for terrain, although you may not be able to see every detail of it, if you place your mouse all around the hole, there is a terrain display at the bottom that tells you what terrain your mouse is over (I.e fairway, rough, sand, trees, etc)

3) not sure if you meant to include a photo to show your comments on St. Andrews , but doesn't display when I look at it. As for ob, as you place your mouse over parts of the course it will tell you it is ob. Although not likely exactly what you want, at least available. Also, you mention the tiny ball, there is a preference setting that does allow you to increase ball size if you want to use it.

4) hard for me to comment on the putting since dont know the situation. Putting depends on the ratings of your golfer, position on the green, and course conditions. Since the game does track putting stats, would be interesting to compare your golfers short putts to what the golfer your using did in real life. But I do understand your frustration if your really missing a lot of very short putts. Continue to monitor and track the data and maybe that can be given to the developer to look at.

Again, thanks for sharing and as you play more would like to continue hearing your perspective.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 04-16-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
path12
Coordinator

Sly, I guess that the added choices for fade/draw and the power makes it just feel a little less abstracted but your point is valid, the whole game is sort of an abstract and the short game isn't much different that way than the long game.

Putting is definitely abstracted more though and I'm fine with how it is done in Action Golf. I've been playing golf games on a computer on and off for a long time and rarely see putting implemented all that well. And especially with the top down view it's the best choice for this engine. Mainly tried to mention the differences to let those who might be interested in the game know a little more about the mechanics.

To your terrain comment, true, I can scan everywhere with the cursor and discover where exactly the rough/ob is. But my point is that you (OK, me) don't do that with every shot. In this case I set up my line to try and finish on the edge of the fairway in order to get the angle I wanted to the green. I figured what looked like bushes would have been like trees or something. If I'd have known how close I was cutting it I would have made a safer shot more into the middle of the fairway to give myself a bit more of a margin of error.

The point is, present me with the most information possible in the easiest way to find. A yellow line to delineate OB for example would seem to be a pretty easy thing to implement and not require me to scan the course with my cursor. For me the graphics are definitely the weakest part of the game.

The RNG complaints are just randomness at work I'm sure. If you've ever played a roguelike like Angband and gotten a great drop early on you know the feeling of "the RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away" and fully expect some crazy out of depth monster to come after you soon.

Didn't get a chance to play last night, plan to try a tourney tonight.

Last edited by path12 : 04-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Sly, I guess that the added choices for fade/draw and the power makes it just feel a little less abstracted but your point is valid, the whole game is sort of an abstract and the short game isn't much different that way than the long game.

Putting is definitely abstracted more though and I'm fine with how it is done in Action Golf. I've been playing golf games on a computer on and off for a long time and rarely see putting implemented all that well. And especially with the top down view it's the best choice for this engine. Mainly tried to mention the differences to let those who might be interested in the game know a little more about the mechanics.

To your terrain comment, true, I can scan everywhere with the cursor and discover where exactly the rough/ob is. But my point is that you (OK, me) don't do that with every shot. In this case I set up my line to try and finish on the edge of the fairway in order to get the angle I wanted to the green. I figured what looked like bushes would have been like trees or something. If I'd have known how close I was cutting it I would have made a safer shot more into the middle of the fairway to give myself a bit more of a margin of error.

The point is, present me with the most information possible in the easiest way to find. A yellow line to delineate OB for example would seem to be a pretty easy thing to implement and not require me to scan the course with my cursor. For me the graphics are definitely the weakest part of the game.

The RNG complaints are just randomness at work I'm sure. If you've ever played a roguelike like Angband and gotten a great drop early on you know the feeling of "the RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away" and fully expect some crazy out of depth monster to come after you soon.

Didn't get a chance to play last night, plan to try a tourney tonight.

Thanks...I can see your point on some of the visuals being drawn on the map....maybe in the next version
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

path12, just a heads up. Although not specifically addressing your needs for making OB and other things more clear on the course, it seems some modders have been able to make easy edits to the course graphics file to give it a little more "pop" visually. They have some before/after pictures over at the forums which look nice (although I am fine with originals). To make the changes, just have to increase the color saturation on the photos by about 50% and things get more enhanced. Pretty nice.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

Just to follow up, having fun with this game and with the right settings it is pretty damn tough.

I have created my own golfer and am four tournaments into the season so far. Two missed cuts (one where I finished dead last after the first two rounds), and two made cuts, though my ending finish was nowhere near the leaderboard.

Don't know if it is for everyone, but if the previous posts in the thread had you wondering about it I'd suggest giving it a shot.

Last edited by path12 : 05-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

It is a great game....anyone that enjoys golf from a strategy/simulation perspective should really consider trying this out.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #21
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Thought I would include some game screenshots to give folks a view of the game based on the conversation in this thread.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
RainRaven
High School JV

If you create a golfer do you gain skills over a career or are they just set from the beginning?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
If you create a golfer do you gain skills over a career or are they just set from the beginning?

The game allows you to play through multiple years, however this is not a career sim at the moment. When you advance to a new year, your stats and world rankings carry over, but your golfer's ratings and things like that remain the same.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
RainRaven
High School JV

Thanks, still is intriguing. Heck, the football game sounds interesting as well due to the depth of play calling.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks, still is intriguing. Heck, the football game sounds interesting as well due to the depth of play calling.

If you like golf, this is the best non arcade golf game out there in my opinion. And your right, the other games are good too. My next best is the hockey game, followed by the football game. Baseball and basketball good too.

If your not aware, the company offers 30 day money back if you end up not liking so no risk in trying. Don't believe many other game company stands by their product like this.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So far, I'm not feeling it, but I'm going to give it every chance before I turn it in.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So far, I'm not feeling it, but I'm going to give it every chance before I turn it in.

Turn off all the options except showing lie % and carry to green on short shots. (Those are aids that the game doesn't show well but you would be able to tell on a course). I thought it was way too easy with all the options checked and that made it tougher. BTW I haven't even tried the swing meter.

Next step is to take a non-star golfer or create your own and try a tournament. I might just suck but I can only make the cut every third tournament or so.

But I get why it might not be for everyone.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trying to set up a season shouldn't take 2 hours and/or $200.

And honestly, I have no fng clue how hard to hit or any of that, there should be some help for newbies that you can turn off.

When Tiger goes +24, you know you're not holding newcomers hands enough
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Trying to set up a season shouldn't take 2 hours and/or $200.

And honestly, I have no fng clue how hard to hit or any of that, there should be some help for newbies that you can turn off.

When Tiger goes +24, you know you're not holding newcomers hands enough

There are a number of newbie aids that can be used in the game that shows you pretty much how far your shot will go, although you still have to take into consideration course conditions and such. Once you get the hang of the golf strategy and core concepts, it works well.

Why does setting up a season take 2 hours? If your creating your own custom schedule and your creating a ton of events maybe, but out of the box it comes with a default schedule already created. As for cost, the base game is $34 (1 season and 10 courses)...but if you want all the add-ons it certainly can add up. Compared to its competitor, it is cheaper (not considering Tiger Woods golf the competitor).

As for +24 with Tiger, I have never seen that and he is pretty much who I use exclusively. In fact, my best score with him is in a major shooting a -33...but that was a pretty unique tournament for me that was certainly a once in a life time thing. I consistently shoot under par with him, but not at that level. Once you take all the factors into consideration and practice, the game really does simulate golf very well.

But certainly it might not be for everyone.....
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
There are a number of newbie aids that can be used in the game that shows you pretty much how far your shot will go, although you still have to take into consideration course conditions and such. Once you get the hang of the golf strategy and core concepts, it works well.

Why does setting up a season take 2 hours? If your creating your own custom schedule and your creating a ton of events maybe, but out of the box it comes with a default schedule already created. As for cost, the base game is $34 (1 season and 10 courses)...but if you want all the add-ons it certainly can add up. Compared to its competitor, it is cheaper (not considering Tiger Woods golf the competitor).

As for +24 with Tiger, I have never seen that and he is pretty much who I use exclusively. In fact, my best score with him is in a major shooting a -33...but that was a pretty unique tournament for me that was certainly a once in a life time thing. I consistently shoot under par with him, but not at that level. Once you take all the factors into consideration and practice, the game really does simulate golf very well.

But certainly it might not be for everyone.....

Because "You do not have the course for round 1". The schedule I had had all the real courses, not just the 10 with the game.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-14-2013 at 08:45 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Gotcha now....if you don't own the course you can choose to skip the event or change the course for the event. If you do change the course than you are right that it will take a little time to change them but should only be for 15 or so e r ts that shouldn't take too long. It is also only a one time setup per season assuming you don't ever delete the season.

Again I understand if the game is not for everyone
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
path12
Coordinator

I changed the events to match the courses I had. Didn't take that long, but the game should adjust to the courses it has on file. The additional course prices are way higher than I care to pay.

I'd also like to be able to take my created golfer and automatically have him added into every field instead of doing it manually. But once done it's done. Just started replaying a season and as usual, missed the cut by 2 strokes that I wasted on a stupid shot on Augusta 15th. Grr.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just curious what golfer are you using for your season?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Just curious what golfer are you using for your season?

New guy. Path Twelve.

Modeled the ratings after my own game so straight and decent off the tee, good putting/short range, poor long irons and sand.

Of course I made him way better than me but still just a 7.00 rating overall so pretty average in the bigger picture.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

That's cool to use your own created golfer. It adds to the challenge by not using the superstars.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, my thoughts:

Season Setup: Would love easier season generation.

It already knows what courses you have installed, so, a season generation screen should be doable.

A) Number of Events (Sub question: How many A field/B field/C field/Exhibition Events?)
B) Number of Majors
C) Playoffs? (Y/N) (sub question if yes, how many playoff events)
D) Qualifiers for Majors? (Y/N)

Then, using some variables (for randomizing green speed, course firmness and rough), generate a number of events assigned to random courses, with purses slightly randomized (A field events are worth 5-8 million total purse, B field 4-6, etcetera)

Small thing would make it so much easier

Also, fictional golfer generation would be great.

How about an option "Play until TV time") (meaning, sim till certain events happen, say, show golfers who are in the lead or within two shots of the lead, starting at hole 15). That gets us down to the nitty gritty and makes it feel important.

When showing a tournament's results, showing the money for each position would be nice.. add a factor (one shot back cost him 65,000, for example)

That, combined with some newbie help on shot power and the like..

There's a core there to the game that I'm trying hard to like, but it's very.. user unfriendly.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
path12
Coordinator

I agree with almost all of those suggestions. Personally I think all the aids available make it too easy, but don't have an issue with there being more as long as they are optional.

Last edited by path12 : 05-14-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
path12
Coordinator

Hey Foz, are you using the swing meter? If so what do you think of it?

Doesn't seem like the kind of game engine that is suited for that so have not tried it but just wondering if you have. Sly, I think you have been using it right?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

You do have option to watch or play golfers who are in the lead. It's under settings in tournament called dynamic coverage.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Hey Foz, are you using the swing meter? If so what do you think of it?

Doesn't seem like the kind of game engine that is suited for that so have not tried it but just wondering if you have. Sly, I think you have been using it right?

I have used it a liitle but primarily use the normal swing process.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just using target click and swing
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Also, how about Ryder Cup like events, (USA vs the World?)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #43
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Also, how about Ryder Cup like events, (USA vs the World?)

Currently not available but something that will hopefully be added in a future version.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You do have option to watch or play golfers who are in the lead. It's under settings in tournament called dynamic coverage.

Yes, but you have to interrupt the sim to do so. I would love to get to Round 4, hit play round after telling it.. "At Hole 15 or later, show me the golfers who are in the lead or within two shots of the lead" and then it pops up the first time someone within two of the lead gets to 15, while I do other things.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yes, but you have to interrupt the sim to do so. I would love to get to Round 4, hit play round after telling it.. "At Hole 15 or later, show me the golfers who are in the lead or within two shots of the lead" and then it pops up the first time someone within two of the lead gets to 15, while I do other things.

Correct, the level of settings is currently not available. I am sure over time all of these types of items will eventually make it in the game since this is the first release.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

If anybody interested, I did a real quick video playing the game. Might give folks an idea of what the game is like. Warning, I am not a great video maker but hopefully suffices

SlyBelle's Quick Gameplay Video in Golf Forum
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #47
RainRaven
High School JV

Thank you for posting the video. It was very nice seeing the game in action and it does make me more likely to buy it at some point here in the future.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you for posting the video. It was very nice seeing the game in action and it does make me more likely to buy it at some point here in the future.

Ditto. Thanks for the video.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #49
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Sure guys, no problem. Really is a good game, especially if you enjoy golf. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #50
RainRaven
High School JV

Sort of a follow up question from my RPG question from earlier. Is it possible to edit your golfer at the start of the next year? I wonder if a simple house rule system of improving your own golfer would add a bit of realism and career feel to it.