Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #851
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

THAT IS AWESOME!!

Where from? I need to send it to someone.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #852
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Right-click, copy image URL

Not "from" anywhere as far as I can tell.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #853
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL! That is quite amusing!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #854
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah. Duhhh.

Brain broken today apparently.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #855
JPhillips
General Manager

Really funny.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #856
Groundhog
Coordinator

Finally caught up last night. Episode 4 was definitely the best of the 2nd season so far IMO. I can't believe we are nearly halfway through the season though.

I like Baelish too, in that the actor suceeds in making me dislike him as much in the show as I do in the books. Joffrey, even more so.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #857
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

HODOR.

Also, did anyone see South Park's GoT reference last night? There was a bit where Mr. Garrison starts describing the world and kingdoms in Game of Thrones. Cute interjection into the episode..

Boneritus (Season 16, Episode 7) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #858
MrBug708
Head Coach

I love jaqen h'ghar
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #859
whomario
Pro Starter

The scenery north of the wall was breathtaking last episode, those location scouts sure know what they are doing (not that you can ever go wrong with Iceland, but still)

I thought that the shadow was the first really forced/selfserving bit of magic imo, felt awfully like Martin was thinking "oh wait, i canīt have theese 2 have a long standoff, iīll never get ahead in the sory that way and itīll take long enough as it is" and took a short cut.

I heard a couple of people complaining that there are no big battle scenes and would like to totally disagree. I donīt see the point of theese at all in the concept of the story. Who cares how a side won or lost ? It happened and they tell me, thatīs all i need. Iīd rather have them continue to spent fight time on smaller stand-offs between character and or small parties of characters.

One complaint i have (so far) is basically anything to do with Daenerys, i just donīt "buy" her motivation and also the way the actress is portraying them. I dunno, but her angry "iīll burn you all" speach felt really weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I love jaqen h'ghar

me too, even with how many character there are in it anyway, i think itīs fun to have theese relative "outsiders" come into the story as well to sort of remind us that there actually is a world outside of Westeros and outside of the civil war going on, like Aryaīs instructor in season 1.

I must shamefully admit to have never read the books despite being a decently avid Fantasy reader. Actually i tried multiple times but didnīt get into it really and stopped. So itīs a huge compliment for the show when i say that i love it, to me the story seems almost better suited for this format than for a book. It seem they are shortening it just enough by getting rid of some "unimportant" stuff for me to enjoy it immensely now I realize they stay really close to the material, what i mean is more in the way itīs presented, much more direct with less going round-about the point)

I am having a super tough time not reading ahead now though (bought the books for the kindle half a year ago), i will try my hardest to resist that urge as this series is just so enjoyable and i have few enough story-drive shows i like that i donīt want to spoil this one for myself.

Is season 2 going to finish in line with the book btw ? (complete book 2 = complete season2?)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #860
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I was talking about this with my dad earlier this past week - the pacing of the TV show is really great. They're able to cut out/compress a lot of things in the book that took pages and pages, and really move things along.

I'm sure there's places where it will harm them, but so far I think it's been great.

As far as your question at the end about S2=book 2...the answer is "more or less" basically. There are a few things that are reshuffled/accelerated/etc, but more or less.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-04-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #861
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't think the actress that portrayed Daenerys was particulary strong in season 1. I think she's doing better, but that's likely just a combination of the material and a bar already set too low.

That said, she isn't ruining it for me, she's just the weakest in a very strong lineup. Peter Dinklage is amazing.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #862
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

dola,

I also loved Jaqen H'Ghar, though more so in the book.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #863
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
she's just the weakest in a very strong lineup

Book Spoiler/Opinion

Spoiler
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #864
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

I'm glad for all you guys who like the streamlining, but it's killing me. There's multiple people who I'm waiting for to show up. That being said, The Arya/Tywin scene, which is quite a divergance from the book, is incredible.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #865
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
I'm glad for all you guys who like the streamlining, but it's killing me. There's multiple people who I'm waiting for to show up. That being said, The Arya/Tywin scene, which is quite a divergance from the book, is incredible.

Well yeah - there are people I miss, that's for sure. It's not a replacement for the books in that sense. But I mean...in the sense of like...telling the main storyline it's an improvement.

You do definitely miss a bunch of the peripheral characters though, I agree. And I miss some of them (and expect to miss a bunch more as it continues).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #866
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I do think (just watching season 1) that they did cut out a lot of backstory that may come and harm them. Not necessarily characters, but stuff that happened during Robert's Rebellion... like stuff about Rhaegar that may be important.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #867
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well I do think (just watching season 1) that they did cut out a lot of backstory that may come and harm them. Not necessarily characters, but stuff that happened during Robert's Rebellion... like stuff about Rhaegar that may be important.

I don't see the issue with them incorporating this information when it becomes relevant.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #868
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

you can allways have character go back and tell those stories i suppose. Of course, most guys directly involved have now died one way or another, so that might be a problem But i suppose a well-read character like Tyrion (or even Sam) could take that role.
Personally, not having read much of the books i actually canīt imagine it to be that important. It was a rebellion long ago, the main protagonists from that are mostly dead and we allready know how all the houses feel about each other.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #869
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post

There's a difference between liking the streamlining and understanding the necessity of it. They only have 10 hours within which to pack the entirety of a massive book with hundreds of characters. It's simply not possible. Cuts and streamlining have to be made.

I really see the TV show and books as two separate entities to be enjoyed in their own way. Sure, if the show deviates wildly from the book in some way I would be annoyed, but so far it's stuck very true to the main source while being different. I am totally fine with this.

Slavishly sticking to a book in making a movie based on it is rarely the best course of action.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #870
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Reading this thread just reinforces my decision to watch the show first and then do the book. I think that the show is a great piece of entertainment in its own right and without knowing about the book I don't recall ever thinking that I was missing something (except perhaps the battle scenes).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #871
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I heard a couple of people complaining that there are no big battle scenes and would like to totally disagree. I donīt see the point of theese at all in the concept of the story.

Not too mention, they are wildly expensive and there's no way they are able to pay for them in their budget. Rome only had 2 battle scenes that I can think of, and both of those were close up "in" the battle so there wasn't a need for a lot of people or scenery. The major ones were simply talked about.

GoT could get away with a few of those "close up, in the battle" type scenes. But you're not going to get Braveheart like battles scenes in an HBO tv series. Not one where a lot of money needs to be spent on creating sets, costumes and CGI dragons and wolves.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #872
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know there is going to be at least on sizable battle scene this season. I am goin to be interested to see how well they pull it off.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #873
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Not too mention, they are wildly expensive and there's no way they are able to pay for them in their budget. Rome only had 2 battle scenes that I can think of, and both of those were close up "in" the battle so there wasn't a need for a lot of people or scenery. The major ones were simply talked about.

GoT could get away with a few of those "close up, in the battle" type scenes. But you're not going to get Braveheart like battles scenes in an HBO tv series. Not one where a lot of money needs to be spent on creating sets, costumes and CGI dragons and wolves.

and the books skip a lot of the battle scenes as well. I think I'll be able to survive without them
Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #874
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Could any of you give an example of character missing from the TV series? Its been a year since I read "clash of kings" and I can't think of anyone absent...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #875
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
Could any of you give an example of character missing from the TV series? Its been a year since I read "clash of kings" and I can't think of anyone absent...

Spoiler
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #876
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Oh... thanks. My memory is getting bad. I barely remember reading those things....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #877
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Spoiler

I don't really think any of those characters are really necessary the way they are telling the story in TV except for the first two, and they can still be introduced.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #878
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't really think any of those characters are really necessary the way they are telling the story in TV except for the first two, and they can still be introduced.

Spoiler
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #879
bronconick
College Starter

I kind of wonder if HBO has a rough draft of how the story ends and remaining major plot points. It'd make knowing what to cut infinitely easier. The early Harry Potter movies ran into a similar issue when they started before the series finished. Rowling had to step in once or twice and say "Yeah, don't do that."
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #880
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #881
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #882
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I kind of wonder if HBO has a rough draft of how the story ends and remaining major plot points. It'd make knowing what to cut infinitely easier. The early Harry Potter movies ran into a similar issue when they started before the series finished. Rowling had to step in once or twice and say "Yeah, don't do that."

I would say they don't have a draft or anything close, but Martin is there and would probably stop them if they are going too far from how expects the series to end (that is, if he is just not sort of thinking of changing the series ending by what the television show does. Quite possible with him, though he'd never admit it).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #883
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #884
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Well, they mentioned one of those guys tonight, so seems like he'll be there.

Loved the episode tonight. I'm really, really enjoying the Tywin-Arya scenes.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #885
cschex
High School Varsity

There were a lot of changes in tonight's ep, but I honestly thought they worked fairly well, especially the Winterfell scenes and at Harrenhal. Poor Dany, her story still feels like filler in this season just like in the book.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #886
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I have a question about episode 5 (one before last night), but it is in comparison to the books so I will spoiler it.

Spoiler
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #887
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Re: BrianD

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #888
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Well, they mentioned one of those guys tonight, so seems like he'll be there.

Loved the episode tonight. I'm really, really enjoying the Tywin-Arya scenes.

Yes, I liked they mentioned him. Hopefully he'll be in it.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #889
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Book related question:

Spoiler

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #890
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Book related question:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #891
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
you can allways have character go back and tell those stories i suppose. Of course, most guys directly involved have now died one way or another, so that might be a problem But i suppose a well-read character like Tyrion (or even Sam) could take that role.
Personally, not having read much of the books i actually canīt imagine it to be that important. It was a rebellion long ago, the main protagonists from that are mostly dead and we allready know how all the houses feel about each other.

It has... ramifications, which are very important. It may seem too jarring to go back and "fill in" the backstory (almost deus ex machina like).

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #892
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Book related question:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #893
spleen1015
Coordinator

Does anyone know of a good website that compares the show to the books week by week?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #894
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I read something somewhere that was like "Don't view the show as a literal transcription of the books or it'll drive you mad. Think of it as another series of looks at the events of the same time - some of which are familiar from the books and others of which are new."

Things like that make me feel better about stuff like say...the dragon-napping last night. I just try to think to myself "well maybe that happened but we didn't get it in the book" sorta.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #895
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Does anyone know of a good website that compares the show to the books week by week?

westeros.org does a book to screen analysis with a detailed list of changes after each episode.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #896
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I would say they don't have a draft or anything close, but Martin is there and would probably stop them if they are going too far from how expects the series to end (that is, if he is just not sort of thinking of changing the series ending by what the television show does. Quite possible with him, though he'd never admit it).

i could be wrong but i thought i read that martin told the producers how the series will end in case anything happens to him.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #897
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola:

According to an interview Martin gave last year with Entertainment Weekly, he has already told the ending of the series to the producers of the TV show "in case I get hit by a truck."
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #898
Grover
Pro Starter

Anyone else expecting Finchy to crack a dick joke and have a laugh rather than talking about the Iron Price?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #899
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just finished reading a Storm of Swords. not only is it my favorite of the series (so far) I think it might be the most interesting to see on the screen.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #900
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
just finished reading a Storm of Swords. not only is it my favorite of the series (so far) I think it might be the most interesting to see on the screen.

I agree.