KWhit
Coordinator

I guess he didn't think they were funny

Tell a lawyer joke, go to jail?

Pair arrested outside Long Island courthouse

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6818054/?GT1=6065

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:03 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2005

MEPSTEAD, N.Y. - Did you hear the one about the two guys arrested for telling lawyer jokes?

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 name=ebReportingFlash>

It happened this week to the founders of a group called Americans for Legal Reform, who were waiting in line to get into a Long Island courthouse.

“How do you tell when a lawyer is lying?” Harvey Kash reportedly asked Carl Lanzisera.

“His lips are moving,” they said in unison.

While some waiting to get into the courthouse giggled, a lawyer farther up the line Monday was not laughing.

He told them to pipe down, and when they did not, the lawyer reported the pair to court personnel, who charged them with disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.

“They just can’t take it,” Kash said of lawyers in general. “This violates our First Amendment rights.”

Dan Bagnuola, a spokesman for the Nassau County courts, said the men were “being abusive and they were causing a disturbance.” He said he did not have the name of the lawyer who complained.

Americans for Legal Reform monitors the courts and uses confrontational tactics to push for greater access for the public. The pair said that for years they have stood outside courthouses on Long Island and mocked lawyers.

On Monday, however, Kash said he was due in court to answer a drunken driving charge from a year and a half ago. The men are due back in court on the disorderly conduct charge next month.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Without knowing all of the details, this seems outrageous and an example of government tyranny. As long as the jokes were not violating a reasonable societal standard, I find it difficult to believe that they deserved to be charged with anything.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Methinks there's plenty more to this story. Like the phrase “being abusive and they were causing a disturbance" might be a better description of their behavior than "telling lawyer jokes." This organization clearly is there to stir things up -- it wouldn't shock me to find out that its members might sometimes get abusive, offensive, and disorderly.

I don't claim to have any facts -- but I just smell an empty story behind a clever headline here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I don't claim to have any facts -- but I just smell an empty story behind a clever headline here.

I thought the same thing. Of course, I'm a lawyer, so my opinion probably doesn't count. Most lawyers I know tell more lawyer jokes than non-lawyers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

What's the difference between a dead lawyer on the side of the freeway and a dead animal on the side of the freeway?

The lawyer has treadmarks all over him.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Most lawyers I know tell more lawyer jokes than non-lawyers.

I've known both kinds. It's too bad that the "lawyer joke" bunch weren't always the best, because that would make a nicer anecdote.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-13-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
What's the difference between a dead lawyer on the side of the freeway and a dead animal on the side of the freeway?

I agree. There has to be more to this story. These two clowns were probably showing their ass in public and got humbled for it.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn

I thought the punch line was:

"There are skid marks in front of the animal."
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
I thought the punch line was:

"There are skid marks in front of the animal."

Well that works too.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Methinks there's plenty more to this story.
This should probably be the standard response to any of the endless "everyday bystander/little guy/child does something completely innocent and is disproportinately and unfairly punished by the evil business/government/school board" type stories.