Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #251
Easy Mac

The last article was posted an hour ago. Did they not bother to tell anyone there before then?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #252
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

He makes it sound like they are fulfilling their legally binding contractual obligations out of the goodness of their hearts.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #253
Subby
lolzcat

Fuck ESPN. What a fucking clown show. Way to reward horseshit idiots like Bayless and SAS and snuff out the good stuff about your stupid brand.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #254
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
The last article was posted an hour ago. Did they not bother to tell anyone there before then?

No, this was a "people found out via Twitter" kind of deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol
Grantland was always supposed to be 'prestige programming' for ESPN, but it's definitely eye-opening/sad to see the share of their traffic that's from Simmons as opposed to everyone else. It will be even more of a money pit now, but it'll be interesting to see how far ESPN goes in order to passive-aggressively 'win the breakup.'

Six months was the answer there.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #255
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #256
Subby
lolzcat

Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #257
Subby
lolzcat

Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #258
MikeVic
Head Coach

Well, I haven't really gone voluntarily to ESPN for a year or two now. But have been going regularly to Grantland. I liked the columns and would have the podcasts blaring while doing stuff around the home.

Are there any decent sports podcasts elsewhere, other than The Bill Simmons Podcast and The Starters (on NBA.com)?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #259
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry to Maple Leafs but I'm sure he'll end up somewhere very good once his deal is up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #260
Easy Mac

Yeah, I'm more sad that the podcasts are/will be gone. Mays/Barnwell and Ryan/Greenwald have been missed.

It's more that I'm going to miss having so many good writers no longer being in one place. Having to track them down is more effort than I'm really willing to put in at this point in my life.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #261
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Well, I haven't really gone voluntarily to ESPN for a year or two now. But have been going regularly to Grantland. I liked the columns and would have the podcasts blaring while doing stuff around the home.

Are there any decent sports podcasts elsewhere, other than The Bill Simmons Podcast and The Starters (on NBA.com)?

Nate Duncan and Danny LeRoux have my favorite basketball podcasts but they get more in-depth and nerdy than Simmons or even Zach Lowe. Here is an archive of Duncan's podcast and a good starting point would be to check the season preview of your favorite team; he recorded 30 of them with different writers associated with each team.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from the LA Times
Quote:
Grantland was still up and running as of 11:30 a.m. PDT, featuring articles on interim head coaches, horror-movie monsters, the World Series, Taylor Swift, Todd Gurley, a rock band called Beach Slang, "The X-Files" and lumberjacking.

Unless I'm misremembering things, uh, The National it wasn't.

Honestly, the stuff worth keeping really can be folded into the other properties pretty seemlessly ... IF there's a market for it. Having a separate brand for it at this point doesn't make a whole lot of sense that I can see.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-30-2015 at 02:10 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #263
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from the LA Times

Honestly, the stuff worth keeping really can be folded into the other properties pretty seemlessly ... IF there's a market for it. Having a separate brand for it at this point doesn't make a whole lot of sense that I can see.
Like I said, couldn't care less about the brand, just want to be able to read clean articles. I think Zach Lowe and Sean McIndoe are the only two I'd fight through the regular ESPN interface to read.

Btw, it is a little weird that there's no link to the press release on Grantland's front page. If you just go straight to grantland.com you really would have no idea this happened.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #264
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Nate Duncan and Danny LeRoux have my favorite basketball podcasts but they get more in-depth and nerdy than Simmons or even Zach Lowe. Here is an archive of Duncan's podcast and a good starting point would be to check the season preview of your favorite team; he recorded 30 of them with different writers associated with each team.

Cool, was looking for something like that. I'll check it out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #265
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Gonna miss reading McIndoe, Rembert Browne, and Lowe. They must have known this was coming a bit before this morning though, right? The Rembert Explains article from the 28th states it is his last one, which had me wondering if he was leaving, but they must have known.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #266
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Gonna miss reading McIndoe, Rembert Browne, and Lowe. They must have known this was coming a bit before this morning though, right? The Rembert Explains article from the 28th states it is his last one, which had me wondering if he was leaving, but they must have known.

Rembert was already planning to leave.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #267
Easy Mac

Today was Rembert's last day. It's somewhat funny, on twitter you can see Grantland people tweeting about his last day, then maybe 20 minutes later, tweeting about Grantland shutting down.

The sad thing is, ESPN's handling of this will in no way negatively impact their brand in any measurable way.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #268
APC
Mascot

I enjoyed Grantland as much as the next person, but people are already laying on the hyperbole in remembering the site. There was plenty of good to great stuff on Grantland. There were also Reality TV leagues and Carles.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #269
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
I enjoyed Grantland as much as the next person, but people are already laying on the hyperbole in remembering the site. There was plenty of good to great stuff on Grantland. There were also Reality TV leagues and Carles.

Yes. The great stuff was great. But not all the stuff was great. Or even good.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #270
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It was a nice change of pace from the Stephen A/Bayless/Jemele Hill/Lebatard "gotcha/hot take" programming we normally see from the site. I think it's funny that Jalen and Jacoby were the only real acts from grantland to be formally endorsed/supported, as they were the thing on Grantland most like the tripe normally found on ESPN.

I hope guys like Lowe, Keri and Barnwell go off to other sites - as trying to track them down on ESPN's crap website will be quite the chore. The men in blazer's left and I watch/listen to them more than I did on Grantland. I don't think any of these guys leaving will impact my ability to read/listen to them.

Last edited by Arles : 10-30-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #271
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey guys...

I fell behind on this thread. Anything new? We're still talking about sideline reporters, right?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #272
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hey guys...

I fell behind on this thread. Anything new? We're still talking about sideline reporters, right?

{hug}
Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #273
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I wasn't even aware of the tie with ESPN lol. I have "liked" like a half-dozen things on Facebook and Grantland was one of them, so I would read a couple of articles on it daily at work. Really enjoyed it, so naturally ESPN would fuck it up.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #274
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from the LA Times

The problem I have with espn.com since the redesign is that they're folding everything I found interesting into other properties. This means I have to search to find the stuff that was a click or 2 away. Every single item on the website that I've read regularly for the past couple of years takes more clicks to find than it did in the past. That's an issue that will eventually drive me away from the site.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #275
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #276
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I hope these guys don't wind up behind the insider paywall at espn. I'd miss Lowe, Mapleleafs, Barnwell/Mays and Keri.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #277
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Lunch sucks without Grantland
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #278
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Lunch sucks without Grantland

I know what you mean. It was so nice to have one site where I could access a bunch of good sports columns. I'm sure these guys will all work in the near future again, but it'll be split up among 10 sites and I may not end up reading some of them because I'll just forget. It was nice to be able to go to grantland.com and click on all the various podcasts as well.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #279
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Deleted the bookmark from my browser today. Sad feeling.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #280
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yeah. It's weird, the last couple of days I just click on ESPN from my bookmarks by instinct more than anything, scroll down looking for Grantland, remember it's gone, and then move on to another site.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #281
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Are there any other sports websites you guys enjoy reading? I used to really like SI but once Peter King got his own site and they had the redesign I've found their writing to be a bit of a tire fire.

Also great tip with the Dunc'd on podcast, I'm working through the team previews and it's just the type of analysis I like to here.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #282
Logan
Head Coach

Can't remember the last time I went to the main page of a sports site. I just go directly to articles from Twitter or links on boards like this one.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #283
molson
General Manager

I don't read a lot of long-form sports columns, so I use the sports websites for quick work-break checks on scores, standings, what games are coming up this weekend, bullet-point breakdowns of playoff races and trade rumors and free agents, etc. ESPN still seems to be the best for that purpose, but they're all pretty similar. But, I don't have the same eye for poor web design most others here probably have. I can get what I'm looking for at ESPN and that's enough.

Last edited by molson : 11-04-2015 at 10:35 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Can't remember the last time I went to the main page of a sports site. I just go directly to articles from Twitter or links on boards like this one.

And simply to prove that we still exist, I'm more in the line of Molson. I check primary sites 2-3 times during the day, accounts for at least 95% of my sports-related web activity.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My biggest beef with ESPN is that it insists on throwing the most garbage mobile player cards. They have virtually no stats or info for the player.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #286
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Detroit Lions have been broadcasting their games on the radio on the local FM sports channel, 97.1, for over a decade now.

They recently announced that next year they are switching stations and moving to an AM channel.

It turns out the reason the Lions are making the move is because they demanded that one of the sports talk radio personalities, Mike Valenti, be fired because he's wildly critical of the team. Valenti is part of the afternoon drive talk show and is pretty much the most popular sports radio guy in Metro Detroit. Some people hate him, but it's a pretty popular show.

It's really embarrassing and shameful. The Lions are such a stupid organization. If you don't want to be criticized so badly, stop sucking. In the last 58 years, it's been one playoff win and a great big bag of dicks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #287
cuervo72
Head Coach

Isn't that the AGAIN guy?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #288
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Like I said, couldn't care less about the brand, just want to be able to read clean articles. I think Zach Lowe and Sean McIndoe are the only two I'd fight through the regular ESPN interface to read.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #289
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Isn't that the AGAIN guy?

Yes!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #290
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'll just leave this here.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM   #291
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Huh.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #292
korme
Go Reds

i like that
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Sports media in one screenshot:

From [UPDATE: Silver didn’t say this] Adam Silver to North Carolina: Repeal law within 30 days or lose Charlotte All-Star game – ProBasketballTalk
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: that last version of the link

Quote:
No Posts Found
It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for.

Which, for some reason, made me LOL

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-11-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And while not entirely a sports media indictment, this seems to fit somewhere in the story. That hoax story about Silver's alleged threat?

It prompted this response
Atlanta City Council makes pitch for 2017 NBA All-Star Game | 11alive.com

edit to add: Point being, I guess, is that if we're electing officials who can't tell the difference (or can't be bothered to verify information) between real & fake, maybe the problem isn't the media but rather the audience.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-11-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #296
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uh... the Atlanta City Council made their pitch for the game before any fake news story about Silver's comments arose.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Uh... the Atlanta City Council made their pitch for the game before any fake news story about Silver's comments arose.

I thought (think actually) the two were in very close proximity.

I find articles citing Silver (allegedly) threatening Charlotte as far back as March 25th.

The Atlanta city council pulled their little grandstand ploy back on March 30th

Is the distinction here -- which I missed if so -- that the initial reports about Silver's threats didn't include an apparently phony quote?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #298
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What Atlanta cited is something the NBA actually did say. The fake quote part was the "You have 30 days to repeal the law" aspect. So the officials of the City of Atlanta actually did use the real information. So no indictment of audience is warranted by this example.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #299
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN fires analyst Curt Schilling over anti-transgender post - Apr. 20, 2016
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #300
oykib
College Starter

A reporter got what was coming to him after he asked an insensitive question to Draymond Green.

Quote:
After the game, during Draymond Green's press conference, a reporter seemingly tried to get Green to compare the Warriors' performances in Houston to the recent floods in Houston.

The question became garbled before Green interrupted the reporter, and he said, "You asked me about the flood in practice the other day, and I said I pray for the city of Houston, because you don't want to see anyone go through that."

"I feel like you keep trying to get at, like, us hitting threes or something, you're trying to get a controversial statement out of me," he went on, "but you're not, because I feel sorry for the people of Houston."

Green continued, saying: "Stop trying to do that. That's not cool, man. You keep asking me this same question about this flood. These people are losing their lives, losing their homes — don't ask me that, no more."
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote