Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #601
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
What's a good place to start learning about tactics?

Tactics & Training Discussion

The stickies at the top have lots of good information -- it can take a while to get through and even longer to implement successfully. I learned a lot but still have problems making the right in-game adjustments.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #602
Karim
College Starter

In the FM Classic option, there are no youth squads. I'm still working through my first season in FM Classic so I'm not sure if I'll see new youth added to my reserver squad?

This part is a little disappointing although I can't say I miss the other things unavailable to me.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #603
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You will see new youth added to your reserve squad, but the number and quality of those players will vary depending on how good your Youth Facilities and Youth Recruitment Network are.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #604
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm getting very tired of watching my guys suddenly decide they don't like passing anymore, they just want to kick the ball directly into the feet of the opponent...over and over.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #605
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just had a player come out of my youth squad that is, according to my coach, the best player on my team. Sadly, it's in our strongest position of striker, and it's the position where I have a number of other youth options.

My other top quality striker is already capped at U21, and currently leads the league with 24 goals, 17 assists in 45 matches and 6 POM's at the age of 21. I can't imagine what this 16 y/o is going to do for our attack. Sadly I was looking forward to the development of some of the other guys. I guess they aren't going to get their chance now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #606
Karim
College Starter

Another FM Classic question...

In the full version, I can see how familiar my team is with a tactic (width, pressing, marking, formation, passing, mentality). It seems I can't see this anymore in FM Classic. I think this is a mistake if it was left out.

When I take over a team mid-season, how can I know what the team is already competent at?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #607
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

They don't have to learn tactics in FMC. You can use any tactic you wish, whenever you want. One of my favorite things about FMC.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #608
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I like most of the FM Classic options so far. I'm into Feb of the first season with Arsenal and the learning curve is manageable, whereas for the full version I was frustrated by December. Too much detail, not enough real help as to the effect of options.

I've been trying out the quick result option which is how I play all other sport sims. Perhaps I'm too old school, but coaching games and doing things the AI is incapable of is a lame way to win. So this option finally allows me to play my way.

However, there are deep problems with the quick result option, most of them well-discussed on the SI boards so I hope the programmers are coming up with fixes/improvements so this works as advertised next time.

First off, the names of the various options are cute and not actually clear. What does 'Smash and Grab' mean in the context of FM tactics? I do know what it means on a police blotter, but what is this doing match-wise? Nothing in the help file explains this, or the other options.

Second, the substitution options don't work at all. Most matches no subs are made, not even when a player is injured in the opening minutes and stretchered off. Example, Arsenal vs Chelsea for 1st place: Giroud scores in 3rd minute and is going in for a second when Terry fouls him, and is sent off with a red card in the 9th minute. Giroud is injured AND DOES NOT PLAY again. That is, he never records another stat and his km ran ends at 1.5 while everyone else is 7+ or so. Then, in the 80th minute, 3 subs come on for Arsenal! So the AI chose to go with 10 men against Chelsea's 10 men for 75 minutes before it decided to make three changes with 5 minutes to go. That so pissed me off I quit and didn't restart for nearly 2 weeks.

I like the team training and can see that the area I select does become the areas where players improve. Can't customize each player, but so what? These feels much more authentic.

Glad there is no team talks except for when the Assman tells me (for no apparent reason) that it is time to do so. Most of the time saving and reloading to pick each option produces the exact same 'that did not go as planned' response. Effect on morale: 2-3 guys respond well, the rest shrug. I don't get why this is in the game at all.

When they get the quick result option to work adequately, this will be a decent game.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #609
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I like most of the FM Classic options so far. I'm into Feb of the first season with Arsenal and the learning curve is manageable, whereas for the full version I was frustrated by December. Too much detail, not enough real help as to the effect of options.

I've been trying out the quick result option which is how I play all other sport sims. Perhaps I'm too old school, but coaching games and doing things the AI is incapable of is a lame way to win. So this option finally allows me to play my way.

However, there are deep problems with the quick result option, most of them well-discussed on the SI boards so I hope the programmers are coming up with fixes/improvements so this works as advertised next time.

First off, the names of the various options are cute and not actually clear. What does 'Smash and Grab' mean in the context of FM tactics? I do know what it means on a police blotter, but what is this doing match-wise? Nothing in the help file explains this, or the other options.

Second, the substitution options don't work at all. Most matches no subs are made, not even when a player is injured in the opening minutes and stretchered off. Example, Arsenal vs Chelsea for 1st place: Giroud scores in 3rd minute and is going in for a second when Terry fouls him, and is sent off with a red card in the 9th minute. Giroud is injured AND DOES NOT PLAY again. That is, he never records another stat and his km ran ends at 1.5 while everyone else is 7+ or so. Then, in the 80th minute, 3 subs come on for Arsenal! So the AI chose to go with 10 men against Chelsea's 10 men for 75 minutes before it decided to make three changes with 5 minutes to go. That so pissed me off I quit and didn't restart for nearly 2 weeks.

I like the team training and can see that the area I select does become the areas where players improve. Can't customize each player, but so what? These feels much more authentic.

Glad there is no team talks except for when the Assman tells me (for no apparent reason) that it is time to do so. Most of the time saving and reloading to pick each option produces the exact same 'that did not go as planned' response. Effect on morale: 2-3 guys respond well, the rest shrug. I don't get why this is in the game at all.

When they get the quick result option to work adequately, this will be a decent game.

I had issues understanding the various tactics until I realized you could hover over each option and a more detailed description will show up to help you out (on PC version).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #610
Karim
College Starter

Thanks, Marmel. That's pretty awesome actually -- one less thing to worry about.

I gave up on the quick sim option also. I find without all the other things to worry about, I can still go through each game quite quickly and substitute/change tactics as required.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #611
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Won a match 7-2 last night..game crashes shortly afterwards. Fml
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #612
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I had issues understanding the various tactics until I realized you could hover over each option and a more detailed description will show up to help you out (on PC version).

Yes, and even better, if you go to the tactics maker and save it as a renamed tactic, you can look at the whole thing. Finally figured that out today during the France match. Subs still odd.

There are also additional options that you can add and these seem to work better than the pre-made ones. At least I added a "If up by 3+ in second half" where I added things like 'take a breather' and that worked well once. Well enough so I got the "Parked the Bus" achievement to pop up afterwards.

Back to subs, it does seem as if they are only made if the player on the bench is 1) better and 2) you aren't winning. That is until I made my 'Park the bus' up by 3 when defensive subs went in at the 70 minute mark as planned.

So I'll experiment more.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #613
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's helpful, thanks for the tip. This game still has the best of me for the most part.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #614
Karim
College Starter

I took over a recently relegated Tamworth in the Skrill North. I offered a 23-year old Scottish DC a contract worth $88k/yr plus a couple of bonuses that would see it go up by an additional $20k. His role was set to Key Player.

He opted to stay in Scotland for $6.5k/yr. as a Backup. WTF?

Last edited by Karim : 06-16-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #615
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So I spent a bunch of time reading about tactics and trying to set my own with Toronto FC (using fake players). I lost 5 straight games, most of which I was heavily favoured to win. So I then went and pulled down this 'super Cobra' tactic from the internets (http://www.mypassion4footballmanager...-6-1.html?m=1), started a new game (again TFC) and followed the instructions on how to set everything up to a 'T'. First friendly against some squad I should trounce and I lose 3-0 while getting all of one shot off in the first half. It was terrible.

This pretty much has me wanting to stop playing, as it feels futile.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 06-21-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #616
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Randomly downloading tactics and trying to apply them isn't generally a winning recipe.

You'd have to have the players with strengths that matched the strengths that tactic needed.

People that post "super tactics" should be ashamed.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-21-2014 at 12:47 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #617
MrBug708
Head Coach

There have been tried and true super tactics in the past, but they seem immune to it. I generally "vacation" my results as I tend to do better consistently that way. I love everything about Classic other than actually playing out the games as I dont feel I get the same results. I'd switch to FMC, or whatever it's called, but I lose the immersion factor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #618
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
I took over a recently relegated Tamworth in the Skrill North. I offered a 23-year old Scottish DC a contract worth $88k/yr plus a couple of bonuses that would see it go up by an additional $20k. His role was set to Key Player.

He opted to stay in Scotland for $6.5k/yr. as a Backup. WTF?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was due to league prestige. Unless he was a Scottish 2 player he probably would choose to be a smaller fish in a bigger pond on the hopes that he would break through there rather than choose your team in a lower league. Sometimes money talks, but not always.

Like Steam?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #619
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
There have been tried and true super tactics in the past, but they seem immune to it. I generally "vacation" my results as I tend to do better consistently that way. I love everything about Classic other than actually playing out the games as I dont feel I get the same results. I'd switch to FMC, or whatever it's called, but I lose the immersion factor

You know I'm using Alavanja '14 Ultimate, and while it crashes from time to time, as long as I save it's alright and it's sweet. Anyway, it has an instant result option that the game doesn't have. So you wouldn't have to go on vacation to play out the games.

Like Steam?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #620
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
So I spent a bunch of time reading about tactics and trying to set my own with Toronto FC (using fake players). I lost 5 straight games, most of which I was heavily favoured to win. So I then went and pulled down this 'super Cobra' tactic from the internets (http://www.mypassion4footballmanager...-6-1.html?m=1), started a new game (again TFC) and followed the instructions on how to set everything up to a 'T'. First friendly against some squad I should trounce and I lose 3-0 while getting all of one shot off in the first half. It was terrible.

This pretty much has me wanting to stop playing, as it feels futile.

No super tactics. They only work if you have the right players exactly. The best you can do is just look at the team and make the moves that seem right for who you have.

Now each position has some basics that shouldn't be violated, but on the whole I find, that when things really start to go south head for the very vanilla 442 and rebuild from there.

Look at who your very best players are. They guys you really want touching the ball. Start there, and look for ways to build around them and for ways you can move the team through them. Take an honest assessment of where you feel the weakest and either improve or work to protect that area. You assistant doesn't always know best either.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-21-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #621
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You know I'm using Alavanja '14 Ultimate, and while it crashes from time to time, as long as I save it's alright and it's sweet. Anyway, it has an instant result option that the game doesn't have. So you wouldn't have to go on vacation to play out the games.

Im intrigued. Can I play out the games if I want?
Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #622
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, basically you go through the match preview and team selection just underneath the continue to match there is an instant result button. I haven't used it, it's not for me, but I know that it's there.

Like Steam?

Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #623
JPhillips
General Manager

I've had a lot of success in the lower leagues with a 4-1-3-2. The three center mids give me flexibility in singing and substituting. Not needing any wings allows me to spend money more efficiently.

My biggest tactical problem was assigning too many specialty roles. Keep things simple and don't have more than three or four specialty roles if you have a standard setup. If you play more fluid, one or two specialty players is enough.

Whatever tactic you settle on needs to be given time, at least ten matches.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #624
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've also had good success with the 4132 but with WM or wingers instead of plowing the middle. The deep DM seems to really support the defense and I successfully used him last season to negate the space that lone strikers up top were getting against my back 4.

Cautiously optimistic for this season with Larne.

This is my 8th season now and I still find myself tweaking tactics. That's well over 500 games worth. This is also the first time in 3 years that we failed to qualify for for the Euro Cup and we lost out best prospect to an English Championship team for what was really pennies for his age and value.

Last season I set one of my tactics quite different but didn't use it. I just let the team get some work with it. It's a 433 as I feel like our best talent lies up top. I have big concerns that our defense will be able to handle top teams as it is, but so far in the preseason we haven't allowed a goal with 1 game to go.

Our last game we won against a team 2 levels lower, 5-0, didn't allow a single shot on goal. It has me optimistic, but at the same time I wonder if it'll hold up. In the off season I went out and added a top drawer defender who will fill the LB role. This formation really relies on good WB's who can press up and give width occasionally, but not all the time.

I'm still worried about defending single strikers up top though. I may have to drop one of those mids back to DM, but I worry that it'll leave me without enough there.

Oh well, it's always something, and even after 500 matches in the LL, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Like Steam?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #625
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I find the best tactical success by just having a simple tactic and getting the players for it - 3-5-2 or my most recent 4-4-2 Diamond.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #626
MrBug708
Head Coach

My two starting center backs are jaded and in need of rest and refused to take time off. I'm thankful for their dedication, but their fitness is like 88% at kick off. Bah
Old 06-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #627
BYU 14
Coordinator

I like the 4-1-3-2 also, have a counter version and an attacking version.

Keep it simple on the roles, both strikers are complete forwards, middle mid-fielder is an attacking center mid and the two outside are both box to box support.

Backline is fullbacks either on support or attack depending on version and DC's and basic central defenders.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #628
MrBug708
Head Coach

I find an unusual lack of MC's in my game
Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #629
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I just finished a pretty special season - even by my standards I think it might have been my best ever.

38-0-0
114pts
Goal Differential was +100. 115 goals scored, 15 allowed.

Only drew 2 matches all year long, both in the CL. One against PSG (after a 2-0 win in the first leg), and one against PSV (after I beat them 5-1 in the first leg).

Still have the Champions League final against Barca and the Italian Cup final against Serie A runner-up Napoli to go. Of course I beat Napoli 2-0 about a month ago, and my last meetings against Barca were 2 years ago in 2020, and were a 2-2 draw and then a 2-0 win for me.

Update:

1-0 win in the Italian Cup Final against Napoli.

3-0 win in the Champions League Final against Barcelona (a Barcelona that still has Neymar & Messi btw).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #630
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here's a general question. Do you guys have a preferred personality type? I find that I try and mold the team to my personality which is professional. I prefer players that can handle the pressure and don't get overly excited. Has anyone else paid much attention to it, or tried to develop any other type?

Like Steam?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #631
flounder
High School Varsity

Professional, determined or resolute. I don't really like to deal with anyone who isn't one of those personality types.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #632
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I've had luck in past versions with ambitious squads when seeking promotion.

Seems to me that there are a lot more balanced players in 14 than earlier versions.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #633
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anybody have a lot fo experince with teh league add ones for FM2014 via Steam? I'd love to try out a league like, say, Cameroon, Nigeria, or Gibraltar or Canada.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #634
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am the thread kill master fo FM2014

Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #635
MrBug708
Head Coach

Just won the Champion's Cup in penalties, 19-18, vs Barcelona.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #636
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

One of these days I'll figure out why my team plays so amazingly well versus teams we should be losing to, and yet will turn in absolute stinkers against the cupcakes of the league.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #637
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
One of these days I'll figure out why my team plays so amazingly well versus teams we should be losing to, and yet will turn in absolute stinkers against the cupcakes of the league.
What's your team's personality?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #638
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Obnoxious little money grubbers?

Professional.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-27-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #639
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's because they hate you personally and like to see you suffer, CW.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #640
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I thought that was a game feature that everyone encountered.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #641
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's just you. I know because I asked them.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #642
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, shit.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #643
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You make them do too much physical training, they say.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #644
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If they've got time enough to talk to you, that's time they coulda spent running.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #645
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

A key point of complaint is your requirement of 25k per match worth of running, minimum.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #646
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So 30k, you think?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #647
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I lost a job due to a bad offsides call. Seriously.

Needed a win to avoid relegation in Skrill North. Was tied 0-0 in 88th minute. My veteran striker makes a fabulous run and bangs home the game winning goal..........except the flag is up. Shows the replay and my striker was clearly not offsides. Game finishes 0-0 and I'm out of a job. Ugh.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #648
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Just won the Champion's Cup in penalties, 19-18, vs Barcelona.

That's awesome. Did you do a victory lap? Have to pause after each shooter just to catch your breath? I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I've had the same problem. My guess is that you are too positive with them and they get complacent. Too accepting of half assed games when they should be kicking ass.

Quote:
I lost a job due to a bad offsides call. Seriously.

Needed a win to avoid relegation in Skrill North. Was tied 0-0 in 88th minute. My veteran striker makes a fabulous run and bangs home the game winning goal..........except the flag is up. Shows the replay and my striker was clearly not offsides. Game finishes 0-0 and I'm out of a job. Ugh.

Good god that's awful. Things like that get me so pissed that I end up struggling to get back into the game.

Like Steam?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #649
MrBug708
Head Coach

Only two misses for my side, three for them. Both goalkeepers scored ironically enough.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #650
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

wow! Man city just offered me the biggest deal ive ever been offered. i have this stud young striker, they offered me over 66 million for him! i only have 50 million in the bank! i love the kid and bought him for 3.1 million from a league 2 team when he was just 16 yo, but hes already been sniffed around from chelsea and wasnt happy when i turned them down, this offer is too large to be refused

Last edited by bulletsponge : 06-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote