Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and some wonder why young athletes have a sense of entitlement

Delta bumps passengers for Florida's flight to UConn - ESPN

This disgusts me. Why should the average Joe trying to get home to his family, or back to work Monday, be displaced? Just absurd.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Agreed.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Delta bumps passengers for Florida's flight to UConn - ESPN

This disgusts me. Why should the average Joe trying to get home to his family, or back to work Monday, be displaced? Just absurd.

Off-hand, I'd put that on Delta rather than the athletes. And it seems reasonable to think that it was more of a business decision than anything else. I mean, Delta IS in the charter business after all.

Charter Flights | Delta Air Lines

Likely more money to be made renting UF the plane as a charter than there was on a short-hop for 35 people from G'ville to Atlanta and if so I doubt Delta gave a damn whether it was a load of college athletes or a bunch of rich jetsetters from Monaco.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you may be right, but it still doesnt change the way these kids will likely perceive it that they are more important.

And if your scenerio is correct, and likely is, we really need some governing body to fine Delta for running a bait ond switch. The immorality of airlines is already horrible, especially the fact that it somehow is legal to oversell flights on purpose.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
you may be right, but it still doesnt change the way these kids will likely perceive it that they are more important.

And if your scenerio is correct, and likely is, we really need some governing body to fine Delta for running a bait ond switch. The immorality of airlines is already horrible, especially the fact that it somehow is legal to oversell flights on purpose.

While I agree with your point about Delta, on the kids, I'm willing to bet that when their college careers end, they will think much more upon the hundreds of thousands of people who, in aggregate, cheer them on every night, follow them on Twitter, post about them on team message boards, read interviews about their potential college landing spots while they're in high school, etc...when it comes to growing their sense of entitlement.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

Ya, hasn't society kind of decided that these kids ARE more important than everyone else? How much money and time is spend following their exploits? People give millions of dollars to these programs so these kids can be wined and dined so the teams can be good.

Last edited by molson : 12-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The way the article was worded, they didn't oversell it that flight.... they cancelled it.

Quote:
Delta Air Lines canceled an Atlanta-bound commercial flight

That's what made me start thinking about the possibility/likelihood they simply repurposed the plane entirely.

The headline seems to be misleading, I don't think anybody got "bumped", looks like their flight ceased to exist period, i.e. nobody but the team was on that plane & the destination of the flight was probably changed from Atlanta to Connecticut.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But no different than anybody else with money to rent a plane.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

I think it's time for those passengers to file Involuntary Denied Boarding compensation claims with the airline. Given the delays, Delta owes each passenger 200-400% of the ticket price (up to $650/$1,300) depending on the delay.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

It's not clear to me the players would have even known that the plane they were on was originally intended to be used by another set of passengers.

For them, it was just flying to their game on the team charter. Is that still an issue?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
DougW
High School Varsity

Who are these "some" that wonder that ? There are reasons all over the place, why would anyone wonder why ?
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's not clear to me the players would have even known that the plane they were on was originally intended to be used by another set of passengers.

If this had not been picked up by the press the players likely would not have had a clue.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This has happened to me and it wasn't UConn kids with whom they were cancelling it for, but simply airline economics. And I was flying to a job interview when it happened. It's not their fault the airline made the decision, place the blame where it belongs, with the airline.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
This has happened to me and it wasn't UConn kids with whom they were cancelling it for, but simply airline economics.

Yep, the airline most likely made the decision that would lead to the least compensation payments or future lost business.

I am guessing Delta would rather have handful of passengers mad at them and booking other airlines next time than risk losing a charter customer.

Last edited by Ryan S : 12-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Likely more money to be made renting UF the plane as a charter than there was on a short-hop for 35 people from G'ville to Atlanta and if so I doubt Delta gave a damn whether it was a load of college athletes or a bunch of rich jetsetters from Monaco.

This was exactly my thought as well.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote