Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #51
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I am actually sorry I missed the early discussion of this thread. Darned business trip to Bismarck. BTW, did anyone else realize there was a "c" in Bismarck? I completely misspelled it on a document I unfortunately gave to people who actually live there. In any case I have had several people correct me for using a couple of the usages listed on the Purdue site. Most often the apostrophe ending a plural ending in s. It seems that common usage allows for an 's in that case. At least I see it a lot, and I have had people try to convince me I am wrong to end those words with an apostrophe. I had several very good english teachers in grammar school apparently, because most of that stuff stuck with me. I remember being surprised in a highschool "college prep" english class that the only people who could diagram a sentence were the ones that had attended my tiny little K through 8th school.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 02-27-2004 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error. I decided to leave the others
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #52
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Did you know that the Dutch language does use 's for plural, especially if words are lend from foreign languages, making words like taxi's and baby's correct spelling?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
In any case I have had several people correct me for using a couple of the usages listed on the Purdue site. Most often the apostrophe ending a plural ending in s. It seems that common usage allows for an 's in that case. At least I see it a lot, and I have had people try to convince me I am wrong to end those words with an apostrophe.

I'm not sure that I'm following this correctly... are you saying that you are spelling properly, and people tell you that you are wrong?

Do you perhaps mean "possessive" above when you say "plural" instead?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Did you know that the Dutch language does use 's for plural, especially if words are lend from foreign languages, making words like taxi's and baby's correct spelling?

No.

This new fact probably doubles my knowledge of Dutch spelling.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #55
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

Do you perhaps mean "possessive" above when you say "plural" instead?

Yes that is it. The OWL page said roughly that you end a plural noun that ends in s with an apostrophe to convey possession.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #56
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, you're writing "the dogs' dishes" and people say you ought to be spelling it "dogs's" instead? Or do they suggest that you just spell it "dog's" indepent of whather it is singular or plural?

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-27-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #57
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So, you're writing "the dogs' dishes" and people say you ought to be spelling it "dogs's" instead?

Yes I would spell it dogs', but I often see, even in published works people using dog's instead. I am not actually sure if dog's is or has become an acceptable usage. One of my friends was an english major in college, and about a year ago he told me the usage of dogs' was incorrect. He had actually never heard of the rule allowing for ending a word with an apostrophe.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #58
QuikSand
lolzcat

Your English major friend is a dope. Trust QuikSand.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:12 PM   #59
QuikSand
lolzcat

And as recelty as this very day, we have seen the apostrophe used in an even more egregious manner, right here at FOFC. Droped right into a person's name. Not a possessive, not a plural... just a name that happens to end with an "s." What would make you want to spell a name like (say, for instance) Williams as William's? What is it about these elusive apostrophes? What is so hard about this?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #60
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And as recelty as this very day, we have seen the apostrophe used in an even more egregious manner, right here at FOFC. Droped right into a person's name. Not a possessive, not a plural... just a name that happens to end with an "s." What would make you want to spell a name like (say, for instance) Williams as William's? What is it about these elusive apostrophes? What is so hard about this?

Droped?

I always love grammar rants where the guy ranting can't spell. It's *dropped*

WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #61
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #62
digamma
Torchbearer

Did you play the Musburger drinking game tonight, Quik? You seem very chatty.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:25 PM   #63
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Your English major friend is a dope. Trust QuikSand.

Well I should have pointed out that he didn't actually graduate. He is actually working for me now as an application developer.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #64
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Well I should have pointed out that he didn't actually graduate. He is actually working for me now as an application developer.
Heh...um, yeah, in that case I think I'd go ahead and trust the Purdue University site over that buddy of yours.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #65
JeeberD
General Manager

At my fun little job at Olive Garden, one of the worst sins a server can make is not taking hot food directly to a table. As soon as hot food has been placed on a tray, it must go straight to the table. There's no stopping along the way for drinks, to get more breadsticks, nothing.

Well apparently we've recently had some guests complain that the breadsticks and/or soup they're getting isn't as hot as they would like it to be. To correct this problem, one of our managers put up the following sign in both of the side stations (aka the drink stations):

Quote:
Please remember, HOT FOOD GO!
This includes breadstick's and soup.
There is to be no stopping in the side stations.

Thanks,
Elsie

When I saw that I just rolled my eyes and crossed out the apostrophe. Of course, it is kind of fun to correct managment's spelling...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-28-2004 at 01:06 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #66
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
The Saints just signed Drew Bree's to be the offensive coordinator.

Posted without comment.

I thought there was another thread to dump stuff like this, but I unearthed this one, and it's a true beauty.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Man this is a gem of a thread.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

What else do you expect from the land where Velveeta is considered gourmet cheese?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #70
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sorry, forgot the
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #71
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Every time I teach apostrophes in class my kids go nuts and start putting them into every plural nouns they see. After subject/verb identification, it's easily my most reviewed topic throughout the year.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #72
Landshark44
High School Varsity

the commissioner of my fantasy football league thinks "until" is two words....

in till

"IT'S ALMOST TIME TO START LOOKING AT YOUR BILL.ALL MONEY DUE BEFORE ( FEB 8 ) NO MONEY WILL GO OUT IN TILL ALL MONEY HAS BEEN PAID..IF YOUR MAILING YOUR BILL MONEY HERE IS MY......."

"NO MONEY WILL BE GIVING OUT IN TILL ALL MONEY IS PAID...THANKS FOR GREAT YEAR. DOC"

copy and pasted from our website, cracks me up

he uses that combination quite often, and no one in the league has brought it up.. ...

Last edited by Landshark44 : 12-18-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #73
korme
Go Reds

His odd misuse of spacing and all capitalizations would drive me crazy. To the point where I couldn't stand it.

Last edited by korme : 12-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #74
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
the commissioner of my fantasy football league thinks "until" is two words....

Till is a valid word and is one I use myself. I'd guess he has Scottish ancestry as I believe its in 'more' common usage there than elsewhere ...

Till - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
Examples of TILL

We won't finish till next week.
The event doesn't start till tomorrow.
Origin of TILL

Middle English, from Old English til; akin to Old Norse til to, till, Old English til good
First Known Use: before 12th century
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Till is a valid word and is one I use myself. I'd guess he has Scottish ancestry as I believe its in 'more' common usage there than elsewhere ...

til yes, but not in til
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #76
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't know if the show does it, but I remember having a Family Feud video game that put an apostrophe in each family's name. Drove me batty.

Also, I think "HOT FOOD GO!" makes a good catchphrase.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife is an editor and I love whenever I see a sign like this. I cringe a little to myself but then I hear her voice in my head.

There's this yell of "breadstick's WHAT?!?" as she's exasperated, waiting for the noun that the possessive is referring to.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #78
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

I would hazard a guess that it's more that he's writing phonetically. He hears words but hasn't made clear connections with their written versions. This can be seen most often with contractions, where folks write "would of" instead of "would've".
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote