Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

Were you upset when the NFL had the wunderlick test too?

That doesn't even show personality traits

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #52
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Good grief, why not get the player's DNA makeup as well? Isn't that way too much information on a player for a text sim? I mean, I remember having to judge a player solely based on a few reduced ratings and his on-field performance.

Is this a "get off my lawn" situation?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #53
Buccaneer
Head Coach

No, many of us used to play solo or in leagues with far less information on a player and still were able to manage a roster and do quite well. So is the need for all of that information due to immersion or something?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #54
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Good grief, why not get the player's DNA makeup as well? Isn't that way too much information on a player for a text sim? I mean, I remember having to judge a player solely based on a few reduced ratings and his on-field performance.

I guess my question would be what information is on the player screen that one wouldn't have in real life? As a GM or manager I think I would have an idea on everything on the card or I wouldn't be doing my job.

Keep in mind, at least with scouting on (the only way I play), there is a fog of war.

FWIW I'm not a fan of the 1-100 scale it appears this card shows. I prefer the 20-80 and of course one can still go to 2-8 or 1-10 to make it harder.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #55
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I use the 20-80 for those leagues where I am actually managing a team, but I don't usually do that - I just run in commissioner mode and follow the careers of the teams and players - so in those I use 1-100 and no scouting, so I know how good they are.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
No, many of us used to play solo or in leagues with far less information on a player and still were able to manage a roster and do quite well. So is the need for all of that information due to immersion or something?

If only you were in beta where they're demanding more of this shit.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #57
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It is a game and it should be a challenge. It should have nothing to do with what's available in real life. Gameplay > realism.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It is a game and it should be a challenge. It should have nothing to do with what's available in real life. Gameplay > realism.

Hehehe...yeah. If only they thought that way.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #59
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't get what information is on there that makes it 'too much' information.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So what are they thinking (since I have not kept up)? If I recall from playing in an old RWBL, we had 4-5 attributes for a hitter on a 1-10 scale, plus lots of good reports on results. Why the trend in thinking much more is better for a game?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

You know, you can avoid the screen that is shown in the screenshot. If you want to see things at a broader view, I think the Profile view is the one you want. Just don't click on the ratings view.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #62
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You know, you can avoid the screen that is shown in the screenshot. If you want to see things at a broader view, I think the Profile view is the one you want. Just don't click on the ratings view.

And you can also play stats only relying on your scouts view and the stats the player produces.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #63
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So what are they thinking (since I have not kept up)? If I recall from playing in an old RWBL, we had 4-5 attributes for a hitter on a 1-10 scale, plus lots of good reports on results. Why the trend in thinking much more is better for a game?

There's really not a lot more than that on the card in the screen shot. Keep in mind this a gut that can both pitch and hit (another Babe Ruth) so this card looks so full with all of the colored bars. If he's only a hitter then you see..
contact
gap
power
eye
avoid k

speed
baserunnig
bunting

All of this was in previous OOTP games even before the move to SI and the rewrite. Of course you had double, triple, ratings instead of gap power.

Pitchers are..
stuff
movement
control

stamina
hold
velocity
gb%

I think the only new thing here compared to old versions is listing the actual pitches.

Ability to play positions is nothing new.

I can hardly tell the difference in the amount of info I have now compared to v6.5 and before. Except pre-DIPS model pitchers were rated for doubles, triples, and hits allowed which is much more unrealistic and less challenging than the current stuff, movement, control of today's game.

Won't even bring up the old "clutch" rating

With the old "hard way(fewer attributes?)" of judging my players I never missed a playoff and never won my division by less than 15 games. I also was in 90% of the WS winning time after time.

With the new "too much information" way I have to judge my talent I have missed the playoffs 3 of the last 5 seasons (both wild card winners that lost in the first round of the playoffs) and haven't sniffed a world series in 7 years.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #64
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thank you, that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You might like Baseball Mogul...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #66
flounder
High School Varsity

So what's the verdict on 14? I'm pretty happy with 13. Any need to upgrade?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
So what's the verdict on 14? I'm pretty happy with 13. Any need to upgrade?

It's OOTP, upgrade that baby!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #68
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
It's OOTP, upgrade that baby!
+1
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #69
StLee
High School Varsity

I haven't upgraded yet due to lack of playing time overall, but I'm itching to do it soon. I really love that you can set percentages of foreign players by country. I tried a world league in past versions that had way too many players from countries where I just didn't want more than one or two professionals in the league history (places like India and Turkey and Bulgaria). It looks like 14 helps to control those types of players, giving me more of the results I want.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736

Last edited by StLee : 05-11-2013 at 04:48 AM.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #70
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can somebody tell me how the draft works in OOTP14 - do you still get foreign guys come through US high schools and colleges, or can you in essence turn that off and have the vast majority (if not all) foreign guys come through scouting and FA?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #71
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Most foreign youngsters now come through the International FA signing period, just like real life.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #72
fortheglory
Mascot

wow...not much excitement for this product on this boars compared to years past
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm actually having fun with current start MLB single player for the first time in a long time - international FA, the international complex where you can scout young players (and get more than 2 scrubs a year) and realistic point of origin for drafts are a huge immersion plus IMO
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #74
MrBug708
Head Coach

Speaking of which, the unofficial, official OOTP league of FOFC is looking for a few members

Peanuts and Cracker Jack Baseball League

OOTP in a month or so
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I really need to play this. I haven't done much since beta, to be honest. But it might be time to setup my own league or do my own continuing leagues into 14. It's been a while since I had an immersive OOTP league to call my own that wasn't online first.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post
wow...not much excitement for this product on this boars compared to years past

I think most of us are just really enjoying the game, more so than posting much about it.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #77
cougarfreak
College Starter

I wish there were some more good fictional quickstarts. With my grad classes I'm having a hard time making my own at this point.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #78
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
I think most of us are just really enjoying the game, more so than posting much about it.

I agree it's really good...I guess that's why I am a bit surprised by the apparent lack of enthusiasm here.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

Some of us finally cut the apron strings after several lackluster versions in a row. I have exactly zero desire to play OOTP.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #80
StLee
High School Varsity

I like ootp more and more every version. I play a lot and plan to start posting a dynasty thread here pretty soon.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #81
JPhillips
General Manager

I'll probably wait until the All-Star sale if I get it. How is the new draft/international setup?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #82
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'll probably wait until the All-Star sale if I get it. How is the new draft/international setup?

That was my biggest concern and honestly, it's great so far. Much more realistic and you actually get good young prospects from scouting that go into your international complex.

I also love the fact that you can customize which nationalities show up via different means (draft/international FA/scouting), that's a really nice feature for fictional leagues.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #83
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, easily the most complete version Markus and Co. have ever put out. But it's always been a polarizing game and honestly, there's only so many times you can say "look at what I did" when the game is basically the same baseball game we've played, just improved.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll say this. I ended up getting OOTP 14 and it is good, though I wasn't surprised by that as 13 was good. I haven't seen many differences between 13 and 14.

The last couple versions have been much better than the previous versions which OOTP had.

The addition of Random Rookies and League Associations alone are worth the price of admission.

I am putting to test the player naming in my new Dynasty which has leagues from around the world which are linked and at the champions (and runners up) compete for the true World Series.

Though I am longing for being able to watch games play out like the old BBPro days.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #85
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Markus said there would be some sort of graphical representation in store for v15, so I'm excited for that.

This years game seems as if the UI has been really cleaned up a bit and facegen looks almost life like. I'm getting ready for the international FA and I can't wait.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #86
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
Markus said there would be some sort of graphical representation in store for v15, so I'm excited for that.

This years game seems as if the UI has been really cleaned up a bit and facegen looks almost life like. I'm getting ready for the international FA and I can't wait.

Be that as it may, have you ever seen such little discussion on this forum about OOTP?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #87
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

People are getting old and doing other things. Just less time for text sims in general, I think. Moods change. It's not really a reflection of the game, as much as I just think shifting interests.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Plus, I mean, where can Markus go from here? It's iterations, not big leaps as we saw in previous games.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post
Be that as it may, have you ever seen such little discussion on this forum about OOTP?

I can be away from FOFC for a day or two and there isn't much in the way of posting like there used to be.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #90
Shepp
High School Varsity

I finally bought this game the other day to help pass the time while I'm stuck at home recovering from achilles tendon surgery. I'm using the MLB quickstart and it has been pretty interesting so far. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to search for trade targets? I may not have scouting set up right or maybe I'm not using the search feature correctly.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #91
Comey
College Starter

The On-the-trading-block page should help you out some.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #92
Shepp
High School Varsity

I noticed the page but it didn't seam like there were many players available. I could have been just when I was looking. I also noticed that I have the options to make players "available for trade" as opposed to "on the block". Does the AI use the available for trade? If yes, is there a way for me to see these folks all in one place?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #93
dfisher
High School JV

Available for trade pretty much means that they aren't untouchable. There are three options, I think one is untouchable, which means you aren't trading them, on the block, which is those that you are actively looking to trade, and then available, which is everyone else.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #94
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

From the OOTP Facebook...

"OOTP has something special in the works. Join us tomorrow for the announcement."

Wonder what it could be!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #95
spleen1015
Coordinator

My gut says something completely lame like a card game or something.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #96
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if they are going to finally fix the contract logic?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #97
TRO
College Prospect

I would bet it's a sale price through the end of the playoffs.

Last edited by TRO : 10-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #98
spleen1015
Coordinator

After doing some 'research', I think I know what it is. It might be cool.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #99
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Mind sharing with the rest of the class?
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #100
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I thought they already announced there would be a playoff sale of the game, so maybe this is something else?
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote