Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
yonkovim
n00b

College Basketball Sim for the IOS

Hello everyone, about 6 or 7 months ago I posted on the boards about a new college basketball sim we were developing for IOS, we just got it approved on the app store (Happy Thanksgiving!). A few people from the board helped out in testing the application and I wanted to say thanks to those who helped, and give a shameless plug for Tournament Glory College Basketball Always interested in feedback and bug fixes and would love to keep on making the game better.

yonkovim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Interested.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Jon
High School Varsity

Purchased
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome!! Will purchase.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'll check this out on the iPad at home tonight, but any plans on an Android version?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

Good luck with your app. I can't wait to read reviews from FOFCers.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
SegRat
High School Varsity

I just purchased
Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
yonkovim
n00b

Thanks for buying! We are open to releasing for android at some point, but we want to see what sort of interest their is in the game before we go off in that direction. In fact I have a huge list of features I would love to do ( Or that we may have already started ), but I would rather let feedback drive further development.

New Features we are looking at:
* Cross Loading games between devices
* Expanding the number of teams/conferences
* Multi-player leagues
* Setting Game strategies ( I.e. tempo, primary offense, etc )
* Improved Player Development
* Academics and real life troubles
* More detailed history of players and league

Those ones are on the road map now, but a lot depends on if people like the game and see potential. Also want to hear about awesome ideas, because like I mentioned we want to let players drive development.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

Looks interesting. Do you have a feature list for the current version?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would also be interested in a feature list.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is it a design decision or a bug that when I click on the Great Lakes region I cant pick Minnesota? Not a huge deal but sort of confused me.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

I will throw $5 at pretty much any legitimate text sports sim offering on the iOS platform. Glad to have you working on this, I hope it's a step forward for both you and the genre.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
yonkovim
n00b

jbergey22, It wasn't designed to not allow you to select them Its a bug, I added it to our bug forum.

tournamentglory.com • View forum - Bugs
Old 11-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
SegRat
High School Varsity

I can't pick a team in Wisconsin
Old 11-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
yonkovim
n00b

Segrat,

Yep confirmed several states are now missing from the great lakes region. Will get it fixed.

Matt
Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
yonkovim
n00b

In terms of features right now, the basic game play consists of:

* 5 divisions, each with 16 teams, 32 games a year, a conference and a national tournament
* Multi-year play, Players do leave early and enter the Pro Draft, or leave for academic or personal reasons.
* Set the starters and backups for your team and the percentage each plays
* Recruiting is done via first scouting states, then individual players. You can then call or visit players and choose which type of recruiting pitch you want to use with the player.
* You have the ability to set how much practice time a player spends on which skills ( you can then choose what sort of team you want to build )
* Games are simed a week at a time at this point
* Your team can be upgraded to different levels as you play the game. So you start as a community college level program and can move to division 1. The better the school the easier it is to get top players, and the tougher the competition.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
henry296
College Starter

I bought it this evening and here is some feedback and questions.

Pennsylvania is another state that can't be selected.

On the first screen the pick mascot and pick coach picture text is reversed.

I have seen some spelling issues in the scouting reports. Definitely and horrible are misspelled. The grammar can also be improved.

What is the scouting scale? I have seen ratings over 100, so what is the max?

Is vision the same as passing?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
yonkovim
n00b

The not being able to select all states is fixed, and a release is up to apple pending approval.

The Picture selections are also fixed in that version.

Thanks for the catches on typo's will get them fixed.

Vision is an aggregate of a couple of skills, on of which is passing. But really its a measure of ability to see the floor and create opportunities for others on the team. Vision is very important for your point guard to effectively run the offense.

On scale, this is a bit of a interesting discussion and debate we had internally. We decided to leave skills uncapped, which means theoretically you could have a player with hundreds of points in a specific area. Realistically you will probably never see a player over 200 in college. Their is a diminishing returns on the value of skills over 100. So a player moving from 90 to 91 will experience a better return then a player moving from 100 to 101 (not that much). The reason for this decision was we wanted to allow for players to have greater flexibility in training their players. If you want to set your development to be a completely defensive minded team, you can. This experimentation I think could lead to some interesting developments in the future. But if I was going to realistically give you a scale:

1-50 skill level is a scrub
50-75 skill level is below average
75-90 skill level is average
90-110 skill level is above average
120+ skill level is super star

One of the interesting things is this scale can change depending on the league. If your league is filled with 120 level guys, that will become the new average.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
henry296
College Starter

Thanks for the response. The skill levels is helpful when I'm just starting out.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
samifan24
Pro Starter

For anyone that has the game, how does it play? Honestly it sounds like a work in progress from this thread. I'd love to support any text sim on iOS.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
henry296
College Starter

Here are some initial impressions after playing about 1.5 seasons. It takes maybe 2-3 hours to play and might get shorter once I get the hang of it.

I like the recruiting processes. The first week you can pick 3 states to recruit from and then select players to scout and then recruit. Each additional week you pick another state and can scout and recruit more players. Before scouting, you see a "fit" score that I've been using to gide which players to recruit.

After each recruiting pitch the percentage that recruit signs with you increases. If your pitch matches their biggest priority the percentage is bigger. Once you get the percentage close to 100% they will commit. You can also see the percentages of the other schools when recruiting. I'm still trying to get a handle on which players are worth pursuing.

From a gameplay perspective, my initial division is filled with a variety of different levels of teams, so I think it will take some time to make the tournaments. As opposed to thinking about it as a community college, I think of it as starting with a low prestige team in a major conference instead of starting in a 1 bid NCAA league.

As mentioned you set your starters and bench. Right now it seems straightforward in that there is one backup for each position, so you can't have your backup PG also backup your SG or have 2 backups for the SG/PG. The playing time seems to follow the slider very consistenly. I haven't noticed any foul trouble where my starters play less than 30 minutes.

The stats are pretty straight forward. From memory it is PTS, REBS, ASTS, STLS, BLKS. I don't see any shooting percentages, turnovers or +/- type stat to help judge if my back-up should be starting.

So far, it is a good solid game that just needs some clean-up around the edges.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
yonkovim
n00b

Quick question, did you happen to start playing with the practice time percentages? Curious if they make sense or we should try something else there.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonkovim View Post
Quick question, did you happen to start playing with the practice time percentages? Curious if they make sense or we should try something else there.

I haven't messed much with practice. I would prefer the ability to enter a specific number instead of moving a slider so I don't get the exact result I want.