Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Windows 8

Looks like my laptop is finally done (7 years isnt so bad), and there are good sales on black friday weekend (costco) on laptops. so my plan is to buy a new one then.....

but....

they all have windows 8 now days. From everything I have read its another Microsoft abomination. has anyone tried it? is it really that bad? (Ive read tech blogs, but they arent real people....) in the end I know next to nothing about computers... so maybe it wont bother me as much (I did think Windows 7 was a HUGE upgrade over Vista)

Will OOTP work on it?

GIT R DUN!!!

claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have Windows 8. It's a great OS. Not sure where you are hearing abomination from.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have Windows 8. It's a great OS. Not sure where you are hearing abomination from.

this makes me feel better real peoples opinions count more than tech blogs to me

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have used it in a demo environment at work and I love it. The Modern UI (They can't call it Metro UI as they were sued by a company called Metro over it) is built for touch but it doesn't have to be pulled up the entire time, but the complete tie in with PC, Tablet and Phone makes it a brilliant move to me..
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I do not think it is an abomination. When I first tried it I didn't like it, though. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Is it better than Windows 7? I don't think so. But it's definitely not terrible. It just takes some getting used to. Most everything that irritated me, was because I wasn't doing it the "right" way. For example, I used to start programs by clicking start and then typing the name of the program. Well, there is no 'start'. What I should have been doing (and now do) is hitting the windows key and then typing the name of the program.

Once you get used to it, I don't think you will hate it. The familiar Windows 7 style desktop is still there. Windows 8 adds a 'second' OS. That OS is really optimized for touch and on a non-touch machine, it's not as smooth. But it works fine.

In the end, if you are willing to figure out a slightly different way of doing some things then it's fine.

I have not heard much about compatibility but I would expect anything that runs on Win 7 to run on Win 8.

I like Windows 8. Would I upgrade from Windows 7 just to get Windows 8? Probably not. But after the initial adjustment, I like Windows 8. Don't fear it.

Last edited by Castlerock : 11-19-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think that's the key. People hated it because it was a different way of doing things. Microsoft is trying to move forward and having one OS for PC/Tablet/Phone going forward rather than having them seperate (I think in the future having a seperate OS for PC and Tablet isn't going to work and there will have to be convergence - Microsoft is starting that convergence now).
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Ryan S
Quarterback

I hate the metro interface, but I like Windows 8 for the performance increases, plus my upgrade took me from the home premium Win 7 to the Pro version of 8.

You can get the Start menu back by using Start8 or one of the freeware Start menus. Start8 is much slicker, but I guess the freeware versions will do the job just as well. There was no chance of me not installing a start menu, as I spend 40+ hours a week with XP/7/Server 2008 and I really don't see the need to change the way I do things just to fit the OS.

I pretty much only use the Metro interface to look at the weather or news apps. Most of the apps in the store are very much version 1.0 at the moment. That will probably change in the coming months and years, but at the moment I have no real reason to use Metro.

I don't like what they have done to "maintenance". If you use Windows Defender, everything is tied into the scheduled or idle maintenance, and it drives me up the wall to have no control over what it is trying to do. I had to get rid of Defender and replace it with a different AV package, plus I had to cancel the disk optimisation task as it was trying to defrag my SSD every day! I have now set up a scheduled task to Trim the SSD weekly.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I like Windows 8, I don't find it so much different from 7 that it took me long to get used to the changes. A couple of keyboard shortcuts go a long way. This post will help any new Windows 8 user a lot: Windows 8 productivity: Who moved my cheese? Oh, there it is. - Scott Hanselman
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Ha! I was actually thinking of "Who Moved My Cheese?" when I wrote my post.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

The Modern UI is a mess if you're not using a touch screen device, I found it was much better after disabling it as the start menu.

How To Log Into The Desktop, Add a Start Menu, and Disable Hot Corners in Windows 8 - How-To Geek

Last edited by mckerney : 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

I made my wife beta test it for me (Chivalry is dead?) and she loves it. So I started messing around with it and it's different so *gasp* it's not natural, but I'm getting used to it and when ever I get stuck I just "Go to the desktop" which brings me back to my familar Win7 look.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

I thought the general rule of the thumb was to only jump onboard every second Windows release?

As for the interface change, well, after migrating to Office 2007 a little while ago in the office I still find myself scrolling through all the freakin' tabs trying to find the option I'm after. I have no issues what-so-ever with the Windows 7 layout as a mouse-driven OS and I don't really see the need to change for change's sake.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I have no issues what-so-ever with the Windows 7 layout as a mouse-driven OS and I don't really see the need to change for change's sake.

They're doing it to attempt to grow Windows Phone/Surface. It's to get more software for Windows Phone and Surface since there will be a larger customer base by bringing in desktop users. Microsoft hopes this will be an answer one of the reason people decided not to buy WP7 phones, lack of software compared to Android/iOS.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

so I got the laptop...... everything is going well! Windows 8 requires a password, and its an incredibly complicated one. That being said, I dont need a password, how do I disable it?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
so I got the laptop...... everything is going well! Windows 8 requires a password, and its an incredibly complicated one. That being said, I dont need a password, how do I disable it?

I use a start menu in Windows 8, so I can't tell you how to get a run command, but once you manage it type control userpasswords2 then untick "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My dad has a first generation i7 with 6GB of ram and Vista64. He doesn't game or anything but I was suggesting a 60gb SSD and win8 so that he can get several more years of good performance from his machine. Thoughts? The ram is in 6-1Gig chips and I wasn't going to upgrade that. He primarily watches MLB.tv on it and YouTube stuff for church.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My dad has a first generation i7 with 6GB of ram and Vista64. He doesn't game or anything but I was suggesting a 60gb SSD and win8 so that he can get several more years of good performance from his machine. Thoughts? The ram is in 6-1Gig chips and I wasn't going to upgrade that. He primarily watches MLB.tv on it and YouTube stuff for church.

Don't buy one of the Crucial V series SSDs. I found it performed worse than a HDD while using one as a system disk on a high spec PC. The PC went into 10 minute spells where everything would freeze if something was running in the background. There is a huge thread about this on the crucial forums, but no firmware update on the horizon.

I think the M series is far better, but I would be inclined to go for an Intel or Samsung SSD if I were you.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Any compatibility problems with software? I'm thinking of buying or building a PC for gaming only, here in a couple of weeks, and my main concern is games like FOF not working with W8.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If I wanted to clone the existing HDD and transfer that over to an SSD, and then install WIN8 that way, how would I determine the exact size of the present drive?

I'm guessing that cloning and transferring would probably be the easiest way to go about doing this? There's a good chance that he has less than 100gigs used on the current hard drive I'd think. The Crucial m4's are around 100 bucks.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I just built a new box a couple of weeks ago, but I chose to use Win 7. I did a clean install to a Samsung 840 128GB SSD. While using the cloning method seems like the simplest way, I am a firm believer in doing clean installs. Takes longer, but the results seem to end up...um...cleaner if done correctly. I used the Win7 version of this guide, but here's a link to a Win8 install guide: Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs Also, the Windows and game guides at TweakGuides.com are very good.

JK, as far as compatibility, I don't think that Win8 is that much of a change (behind the scenes) from Windows 7. I haven't had much of a problem with my games/apps and I upgraded from XP. You could first try the compatibility modes, or even install/use Virtual Box to run things that are problematic. That said, the last version of FOF I have is 4, and I haven't played it in years so I don't know if it will work.

Don't forget -- with SSDs don't defragment and make sure to turn off the scheduled defrag if it is enabled.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I just built a new box a couple of weeks ago, but I chose to use Win 7. I did a clean install to a Samsung 840 128GB SSD. While using the cloning method seems like the simplest way, I am a firm believer in doing clean installs. Takes longer, but the results seem to end up...um...cleaner if done correctly. I used the Win7 version of this guide, but here's a link to a Win8 install guide: Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs Also, the Windows and game guides at TweakGuides.com are very good.

JK, as far as compatibility, I don't think that Win8 is that much of a change (behind the scenes) from Windows 7. I haven't had much of a problem with my games/apps and I upgraded from XP. You could first try the compatibility modes, or even install/use Virtual Box to run things that are problematic. That said, the last version of FOF I have is 4, and I haven't played it in years so I don't know if it will work.

Don't forget -- with SSDs don't defragment and make sure to turn off the scheduled defrag if it is enabled.

Ah cool. Thanks weegee! That's good news then. I haven't looked much into it yet, but, I have pretty much zero experience with W7 and if there's not much of a painful upgrade to 8, I'll just probably end up getting 8. Now to try and figure out what components for the machine I want to get.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Now to try and figure out what components for the machine I want to get.
Yeah that's always the fun part. The actual build is a chore for me (pretty weak fine motor skills) but choosing the components is definitely enjoyable.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Yeah that's always the fun part. The actual build is a chore for me (pretty weak fine motor skills) but choosing the components is definitely enjoyable.

I agree, that's the fun part for me as well. Sometimes it boils down to...can I just run over and get that part or wait for it to arrive in the mail. Most times I'm just too impatient to wait for it.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I've got Windows 8 now and still figuring my way around. Biggest key for new folks: move the mouse to the edges or corners to move between the store, start page, and desktop. Right-click on the Start page to get a list of ALL your apps; that took me a few minutes to figure out since I don't have my desktop cluttered with shortcuts.

An annoyance: I bought the $40 download upgrade, which has a nice offer for free software. I don't care for most of it, but I was going to download Where's My Water and Where's My Perry. Both still want to charge me $1.49 for the download, though. Not sure why they aren't picking up the free offer...
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I had to search for how to shutdown my computer the other day. I'm not adverse to change but Microsoft totally fucked over desktop users. I'm sorry, there's no way around it.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Here's how if you want to know how dumb it is:

-hover to bottom right corner
-click settings
-click power
-choose shutdown or restart

There you go! We went from 2 clicks to a fucking hover and 3 clicks. Brilliant!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think you can also just hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and then choose shut down.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Mota
College Benchwarmer

On my wife's laptop I just hit the power button and it goes to sleep. Then it wakes up almost instantly. I think that's great, but my copy of Win8 for my desktop is sitting in the drawer for now, I am still scared to install it. It's not my time yet.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
On my wife's laptop I just hit the power button and it goes to sleep. Then it wakes up almost instantly. I think that's great, but my copy of Win8 for my desktop is sitting in the drawer for now, I am still scared to install it. It's not my time yet.

I think that is the 'expected' approach for every device now - you can do it through the UI, but people are expected to just close, power off etc. their device.

(far better imho than the old days when it threw a wobbly if you powered off before shutting down)

Within the games industry there are huge cries of 'end of windows' and 'doom' over Windows8 - personally I don't see it myself, my family have migrated without batting an eyelid or asking for help .... personally I haven't yet, but thats purely because some of my development tools aren't tested on it yet.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Marc, do you see games like FM ever making their way to the RT side of things? I'd like to get a new tablet (I have an iPad 1 that is dominated by the kids) and I'm torn between a new-gen iPad or a Surface RT.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
Drake
assmaster

I want to be British just so I can use phrases like "threw a wobbly" without people looking at me weird.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
Drake
assmaster

dola...

Of course, the advantage to being an American is that I can get away with adverbial abortions like "looking at me weird" without someone coming around to tell me that I've practically murdered the queen with my grammatical uncouthness.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Drake
assmaster

dola x2:

Ping: Quiksand.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

I don't think I'd still be using Windows 8 if I didn't have Start8, let's me completely ignore things like the Metro UI and Charms Bar.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My dad has an email through the cable company. I'm setting up 8 and I can't figure out how to access any old emails when I setup the mail programs. I can send new mails but it won't accept any POP stuff from the server. Is this possible to add them in from archive or something? He was using outlook in Vista. Is it easier to upgrade to 7, then to 8?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
My dad has an email through the cable company. I'm setting up 8 and I can't figure out how to access any old emails when I setup the mail programs. I can send new mails but it won't accept any POP stuff from the server. Is this possible to add them in from archive or something? He was using outlook in Vista. Is it easier to upgrade to 7, then to 8?

Download and install Windows Live Mail.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

if you are thinking about upgrading to Windows 8 you might want to at least purchase it before February as it will go up to $199.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Def buy it if you plan to build a system in the next year. Easy to burn a iso.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
cougarfreak
College Starter

My new HP laptop won't update windows 8, and my first try said I had 54 important updates......
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I don't think I'd still be using Windows 8 if I didn't have Start8, let's me completely ignore things like the Metro UI and Charms Bar.

If I install Start 8 is it basically the same as win7?

Last edited by stevew : 01-26-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #41
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
If I install Start 8 is it basically the same as win7?

The Start menu is basically the same as Windows 7 (though you can edit it if you want).
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
cougarfreak
College Starter

I wouldn't pay for one until you've tried:
http://www.classicshell.net/

This is what I'm using and it works fine.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The Start menu is basically the same as Windows 7 (though you can edit it if you want).

Yep, aside from Win+Tab not working the UI functions and looks pretty much just like 7. It boots right to the desktop skipping modern start screen and you can disable hot corners so you don't need to deal with the charms bar. You have several options for customization though.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Classic shell is really nice. Thx

Here's my issue. Installed 8 on a new SSD. Works fine when I have my vista drive plugged in. When vista drive is unplugged, the pc will no boot. Im guessing bios of some sort? Any idea where to start? Shitty dell bios hating SSD?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I just found a program that restores the start menu to a T. 30-day free trial and the full version costs 3 bucks for 2 PCs.

StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just a reminder, this is only cheap for another 2 days. Also, I've heard that it's relatively easy to obtain the $25 off promo code to get the upgrade for $15 if you're so inclined to do some legwork.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #47
Groundhog
Coordinator

I know from previous versions that upgrading the OS is generally not a great idea and it's better to start fresh with a clean install. Is this true with Windows 8 as well?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #48
Easy Mac

I've bee installing it on an older PC (2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram). My USB devices aren't beig recognized for some reason. Navigating windows with a keyboard is quite a chore. I've tried uninstalling USB drivers, disabling then reenabling, updating motherboard chipset. So far, no go. It worked right off, but it went to sleep and USB hasn't worked since. Anyone with suggestions?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Download and install Windows Live Mail.

Thanks. This worked well.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #50
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I know from previous versions that upgrading the OS is generally not a great idea and it's better to start fresh with a clean install. Is this true with Windows 8 as well?

It's always better to start fresh, as your OS accumulates crap over the years and this does also carry over. That being said, I upgraded my wife's laptop and it's running faster than ever.

I have my copy of Windows 8 sitting on the side though as I have over 200 games between my Steam account and all my sports text sims that are e-license. Always uncomfortable upgrading OS since a screwup could mean a LOT of hours fixing things.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote