Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

What would you like to read about?

Hi, everyone.

I have a question I hope some of you will answer for me.

At any given time, I have four or five Football Manager saves going. If I tire of one of them, I simply set it aside and return to one of the others, rinse, and repeat. I haven't written about any of them in a while; I think the stresses of the world we live in took their toll this summer. When I had time to write, I didn't have the urge to do so.

The mood is returning, so I was thinking about beginning a new story here. I want to write the kind of dynasty report you'd enjoy reading and following, so I'll simply ask?

What kinds of Football Manager stories do you like?

Do you prefer stories set in more "conventional" countries like England, or stories that take place in other nations?

Would you rather I use real players, or create an alternate world of football with original characters?

Do you enjoy reading about events beyond the pitch, or do you prefer stories that stick to the action on the field? Would you like me to fill out the biography of my managerial alter ego, complete with family, friends, rivals, and a life away from the pitch? This question is connected to the one before. It's much easier for me to create personalities for "fake name" players and managers, especially when I need an antagonist.

When I ask this kind of question, I'm often told "Write what you want to write about. If it's good, we'll read it." That might very well be true, but here's the thing: I've written all these kinds of stories, based on several games, starting with Out of the Park Baseball back in the day. And I like all these "genres" of dynasty stories. When I've written stories that people have enjoyed following, their feedback has energized me, and I've ended up keeping them going for two or three years, even longer.

I have a few ideas about things I might do, so if you'd be kind enough to share your thoughts, I'll be able to follow the path that seems most appealing. Thanks, in advance.

P.S. I have one FM story that's semi-active now, my Florence-based story. I'm going to continue with it, but it's moving very slowly now.

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Honestly, this isn't a feedback-heavy forum. And you become energized by feedback to sustain a long-term dynasty. That's the crux of the issue.

I get that you're trying to resolve it with this survey, but it isn't going to work. That's just not what these boards are. If you're looking for a feedback-heavy forum where you can post FM stories, try Paradox's Off Topic boards: Log in | Paradox Interactive Forums

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I read them all, except the really heavy "story" ones. I prefer player-centric, English leagues. But honestly I'd be happy with a good long-term story. I want to be connected to the players (not really the manager) so updates on former players, milestones for the players, etc, are cool to read about...

But, like Izulde said... you won't get a lot of feedback. So do it the way that satisfies you...
Old 10-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Thank you both for the replies. I got the impression readers didn't offer too much feedback on this forum. It seems to have been different years ago, before I joined.

I think I'm going to go ahead and post a new story here anyway. I like the vibe on this forum; it's friendly and laid back, unlike some I've visited. I have an idea I think I'll enjoy very much, both as a career to play through and as a story to write about.

The other night, as I was reading this thread, my youngest child came up behind me and looked over my shoulder to see what I was doing. She's taken an interest in Dad's hobbies before, so I wasn't surprised by this at all. She gave me some impressively wise counsel for an 11-year-old.

"Write what you like best," she suggested. "If you're having fun, you'll probably write something really good. And then people will want to read it."

I'm taking Beth's advice. She's already promised me she'll read it.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote