Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #51
Franklinnoble
Banned

Can't the mods merge the two?

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #52
Riggins44
High School JV

Bought it last night and had fun messing around with a fictional league using 1982 players. I got assigned the worst team in the league. Ended up winning 40 games total!

I drafted Strawberry with the first overall pick after I simmed the initial season. Hope I can can get to .500 over the next couple of seasons.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #53
jbmagic
Pro Starter

News regarding the Demo.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1133644
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #54
BigMak
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak
I'm clicking the link. Forget the exact procedure but I think it was something like "More Options" - "Attempt to Pitchout". I can verify this in the everning after work. Time for me to go sit at a desk and write code for corporate America lol.

The problem is occuring everytime. Here is the exact steps - left mouse clock on "More" - left mouse click on the "Attempt Pitchout" checkbox. Exits program as soon as I click the checkbox.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #55
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Which is? I'm not exactly welcome there.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack

The news is there is no news - either good or bad. They're "evaluating."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #57
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Does it work OK if you hit the key on the screen assigned to pitchout? It should say it right on the screen on the same line. It should say "Pitch Ou[T]"

Does the T key work ok?

BTW, I have fixed your original issue, this is a workaround (actually it's a better way to do it anyway) Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the details.

Last edited by Shaun Sullivan : 05-16-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #58
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack

Shaun said
Quote:
I'm not sure if there are plans for a demo in the near future.
Developer, PureSim Baseball

Eric said
Quote:
We haven't decided one way or the other yet, the focus was to get the release out ASAP. One of us will post here as soon as a decision on the demo has been made.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations
Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #59
BigMak
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Does it work OK if you hit the key on the screen assigned to pitchout? It should say it right on the screen on the same line. It should say "Pitch Ou[T]"

Does the T key work ok?

BTW, I have fixed your original issue, this is a workaround (actually it's a better way to do it anyway) Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the details.

Yes, the T works. Looks like you found what I was talking about. It was no big deal to me, just wanted to let you know of the problem. I am new to this game and was just fooling around with it when I noticed the crash. Thanks for your time.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #60
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak
Yes, the T works. Looks like you found what I was talking about. It was no big deal to me, just wanted to let you know of the problem. I am new to this game and was just fooling around with it when I noticed the crash. Thanks for your time.

No thank YOU. I totally missed that, and it will be fixed for the first patch. Thanks for the report and I'm glad there is a work around.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #61
primelord
Pro Rookie

I didn't have much time to play today, but here are some issues I have seen after watching 1 game:

The game dialog said the player grounded into a failed 6-4-3 DP, but it still recorded two outs.

The game said a batter failed to get a sac bunt down, but then showed him popping up to 3rd on 0-1. I guess they could have called the sac bunt play off, but that seems pretty rare. Especially considering it was in the 7th in a 0-0 game.

The AI brought in a left handed pitcher with two outs iand no one on in the 8th to face a right handed batter when the pitcher was due up 3rd in the top of the 9th. If it were a lefty/righty matchup thing I would buy it, but the other reliver was cruising and was right handed. I see no reason for him to have been taken out of the game.

Three times there was a runner on second and the batter singled into the OF and the runner held up at 3rd. I also saw 3 times where a runner on first stopped at 2B with a single to right. I don't think I have ever seen 3 straight instances with a runner on a 2B and the batter getting a base hit and the runner failing to at least try to score.

Last edited by primelord : 05-17-2006 at 01:14 AM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #62
SackAttack
Head Coach

Ball hit to the right side just yielded a 5-4-3 double play.

Must've been one hell of a defensive shift.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #63
SackAttack
Head Coach

And there's a homer that appeared to land in straightaway right field.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #64
Bee
Pro Starter

I was tempted by this, but without a demo... I'll pass. I just don't understand the logic of not providing a demo...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #65
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Three times there was a runner on second and the batter singled into the OF and the runner held up at 3rd. I also saw 3 times where a runner on first stopped at 2B with a single to right. I don't think I have ever seen 3 straight instances with a runner on a 2B and the batter getting a base hit and the runner failing to at least try to score.

Regarding the three instances where the runner on first stopped at second after a single to right. The data I have shows he advances to second 57% of the time on a single to right and goes to 3rd 41% of the time. The odds of the occurring 3 times in a row is ~ 15%. Not out of the realm of possibility.

Also, with a runner on 2nd and a base hit to the outfield - how many outs were there? There's a huge disparity here - with 0 outs, the runner on 2nd stops at 3rd 48.6% of the time (and scores 38.9%). Probably easier to read this way:

0 outs: 48.6% 3rd, 38.9% home
1 outs: 34.9% 3rd, 48.9% home
2 outs: 15.9% 3rd, 66.2% home

Again, not outside the realm of possibility. I'll call sample size here, but if it continues, there may be a problem.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #66
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Also, with a runner on 2nd and a base hit to the outfield - how many outs were there? There's a huge disparity here - with 0 outs, the runner on 2nd stops at 3rd 48.6% of the time (and scores 38.9%). Probably easier to read this way:

0 outs: 48.6% 3rd, 38.9% home
1 outs: 34.9% 3rd, 48.9% home
2 outs: 15.9% 3rd, 66.2% home

Again, not outside the realm of possibility. I'll call sample size here, but if it continues, there may be a problem.

In all three cases there was 1 out.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #67
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The game dialog said the player grounded into a failed 6-4-3 DP, but it still recorded two outs.

This was a mistake on my part. The dialog actually said BUNT_FAILED and led to the double play. That makes far more sense.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #68
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I was tempted by this, but without a demo... I'll pass. I just don't understand the logic of not providing a demo...

The game sounds fun, but I can't open my wallet without being able to judge the interface and game pace for myself.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #69
primelord
Pro Rookie

I am playing through my second game and again have had two more isntances of a runner from 2nd not trying to score on a single. The first one was with two outs and the second one was with one out.

If it matters I am using the Lahman database and playing with the 87 Cardinals. On the second situation VInce Coleman was on second and failed to try to score on a single. He has a ton of speed so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

Edit: For the record that makes 5 for 5 on players on 2B who fail to try to score on a single.

Last edited by primelord : 05-17-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #70
moriarty
College Starter

Count me in as one of the folks who just doesn't buy games w/out a demo. No offense to Shaun, I'm the same with all developers/games.

I'm fairly certain OOTP will have a demo for their new game to, so I really think this decision on Matrix's (or is it Shaun's) part hurts. But then maybe the majority of the consumers don't think like I do.

Last edited by moriarty : 05-17-2006 at 11:43 AM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #71
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am playing through my second game and again have had two more isntances of a runner from 2nd not trying to score on a single. The first one was with two outs and the second one was with one out.

If it matters I am using the Lahman database and playing with the 87 Cardinals. On the second situation VInce Coleman was on second and failed to try to score on a single. He has a ton of speed so it shouldn't be a speed issue.

Edit: For the record that makes 5 for 5 on players on 2B who fail to try to score on a single.

Fire your 3rd base coach.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #72
primelord
Pro Rookie

OK I have played 5 games now and have seen a dozen or so situations where there was a runner on 2nd and the runner from 2nd has tried to score one time after a base hit. I think there is an issue here.

I am also concerned about Sac Bunts. I haven't had a single sac bunt be successful in 5 tries now.

Last edited by primelord : 05-17-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK I have played 5 games now and have seen a dozen or so situations where there was a runner on 2nd and the runner from 2nd has tried to score one time after a base hit. I think there is an issue here.

I am also concerned about Sac Bunts. I haven't had a single sac bunt be successful in 5 tries now.

Hopefully Shaun can check these issues out.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #74
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I've had several successful sacrifices, but the odd thing is with the pitcher hitting I generally have more success moving runners over when they swing away.

Something about the pitchers hitting .290, I dunno.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #75
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

12 Team Association

I must be missing something --- I would like to form a 1 12 team league with 3 divisions and use real rosters from 1901. I would like the players from the 16 1901 teams to be in a draft of the 12 teams in my league. I would then like to have the real life rookies each year from all teams be available for the 12 teams to draft. Depending on the reviews after the patch I may or may not expand. Can this be done? If so, how?
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #76
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Quote:
Did you have the Tarp Injury option setting on or off?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #77
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Did you have the Tarp Injury option setting on or off?

That was 85 not 87.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #78
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
I must be missing something --- I would like to form a 1 12 team league with 3 divisions and use real rosters from 1901. I would like the players from the 16 1901 teams to be in a draft of the 12 teams in my league. I would then like to have the real life rookies each year from all teams be available for the 12 teams to draft. Depending on the reviews after the patch I may or may not expand. Can this be done? If so, how?

We are beta testing a patch that should allow for expansion. But right now, you can set up a league to do what you want (without the expansion part) just as the game is.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #79
hukarez
College Starter

Probably a silly question, but I thought I'd just ask.

Is there anyone running this on a laptop/system that doesn't have a 32 meg videocard? Such as, perhaps only having 16 megs?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #80
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I've seen plenty of sac bunts be successful.

I believe that you can tweak how aggressive the runners are on the bases and how often they get thrown out in the XML if you are looking to maybe find a better setting for all of us.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #81
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Doh! The XML! Why didn't I think of that before? I'm concerned about the baserunning issue, but I'll see if there's something in the XML. This could work out nicely.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #82
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Doh! The XML! Why didn't I think of that before? I'm concerned about the baserunning issue, but I'll see if there's something in the XML. This could work out nicely.

Hopefully Shaun on next patch can make the stats, baserunner issue, etc good by default. I think some people rather not mess with the xml.

This way we can edit the xml only if we want something extreme.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #83
jbmagic
Pro Starter

dola

Maybe Baserunning issue can be because of the player rating. Maybe he is too slow to advance from 2b to home. Or the guy in the outfield has a good arm rating.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #84
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hopefully Shaun on next patch can make the stats, baserunner issue, etc good by default. I think some people rather not mess with the xml.

You are making the assumption that it isn't good now based on the feedback from someone who played a handful of games.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #85
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
You are making the assumption that it isn't good now based on the feedback from someone who played a handful of games.

No I never said that.

I have confident if there is any issues Shaun will fix it.

Todd said the same thing and you didnt make the same comment to him.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...1&postcount=73
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #86
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No I never said that.

I have confident if there is any issues Shaun will fix it.

Todd said the same thing and you didnt make the same comment to him.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...1&postcount=73

5 sac bunts means nothing. I don't care who posted or commented on it. Tood also is playing the game and contributing, not just posting a million questions and creating links to other peoples posts.

If you are so damn curious about these issues, why don't you try buying the game and helping everyone out by answering some of them.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #87
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
5 sac bunts means nothing. I don't care who posted or commented on it. Tood also is playing the game and contributing, not just posting a million questions and creating links to other peoples posts.

If you are so damn curious about these issues, why don't you try buying the game and helping everyone out by answering some of them.

There some of us here, rather try the demo out before we purchase it. What so wrong with asking questions in the meantime without no demo yet.

If Shaun or Matrix will release the demo, it will answers alot of our questions.

Just be happy you were a betatester and playing it now, But some of us here in this forum rather try the demo before we put our money down.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #88
primelord
Pro Rookie

Do the game logs get saved anywhere that is accessible outside of the game?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #89
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Probably a silly question, but I thought I'd just ask.

Is there anyone running this on a laptop/system that doesn't have a 32 meg videocard? Such as, perhaps only having 16 megs?

Shameless bump, especially since I see Shaun's viewing this thread.

My desktop's on the Fritz, and I've been playing off this archaic ThinkPad that's only got a 16 meg'er on it.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 AM   #90
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
There some of us here, rather try the demo out before we purchase it. What so wrong with asking questions in the meantime without no demo yet.

If Shaun or Matrix will release the demo, it will answers alot of our questions.

Just be happy you were a betatester and playing it now, But some of us here in this forum rather try the demo before we put our money down.

I actually agree with JBMagic. Every text sim developer puts out a demo don't they?

FOF, TCY did. TPF, Bowl Bound, TEW, WreSpi, TPB, TCB, FM and EHM.

I'm sure I'm missing a few....

After the debacle with Max Football, it is very poor form for Matrix to not put out a demo of their next sports game.

That and the fact that Shaun has put out a demo for EVERY OTHER VERSION he has ever released till Matrix.

I want to at least see the sim speeds and interface. I've always liked the game, but never really enjoyed the interface or simulation speed.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #91
Franklinnoble
Banned

I play on a ThinkPad T42 with a 32mb card.

My guess is that if you're not doing any in-game management, and just running a straight sim, you won't see much difference (aside from any performance hit as a result of running an older processor).

I don't have any trouble with the in-game such, but then again, I only spent time there out of obligation as a beta tester - I much prefer assuming a more "general manager" type role.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #92
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I'll pass on this too unless there's a demo.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He's got as much right to post questions as you have to try to defend the game.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #94
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Shameless bump, especially since I see Shaun's viewing this thread.

My desktop's on the Fritz, and I've been playing off this archaic ThinkPad that's only got a 16 meg'er on it.

It will work fine with that video card.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #95
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:

He does this with every game. I have learned to ignore him.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #96
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

He's got as much right to post questions as you have to try to defend the game.

Sure he does. He doesn't even really post questions though. He reads posts, then calls them 'issues' when there is not nearly enough information to call something an issue (for example 5 bunt attempts). From there he links back and forth to other threads. Sorry, I'm at my limit with him, I'm not the first.

As for a demo, Matrix is 100% bat shit crazy if they don't release a demo. With the blood on their hands from Maximum Football (of course anyone silly enough to buy it has their own issues), there isn't even anything for debate - not offering a demo would be the stupidest thing I've seen them do, and that includes the multitude of stupid things they did on Maximum.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #97
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
It will work fine with that video card.

Dove right into it last night -- had some weird Firefox issue with the initial download page, and was hoping that I didn't end up paying twice for it via PayPal. It's my first PureSim purchase, and I'm rather impressed.

I guess I ran into some weird issues with the 'add-in module' thing, a subscript out of range which I suppose you're probably aware of...especially with all those threads posted on the Matrix boards too, and the beta testers and all.

Really liking it so far -- to the point where I should've gone to sleep by 11 as opposed to midnight. :o

Time to get my ass out to that meeting I'm going to be late for.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #98
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
We are beta testing a patch that should allow for expansion. But right now, you can set up a league to do what you want (without the expansion part) just as the game is.

How exactly would I do this? When I try Pure Sim Classic it gives me the size league I want, but with fictional players. When I use Real Major League Players - Career Mode, it does not give me a single 12 team league.

Any help here is very much appreciated!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #99
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally Posted by Franklin Noble

How exactly would I do this? When I try Pure Sim Classic it gives me the size league I want, but with fictional players. When I use Real Major League Players - Career Mode, it does not give me a single 12 team league.

Any help here is very much appreciated!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #100
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Anyone purchased the download and physical game?

I purchased them last night and tried to install the download version, but I can't find my serial number anywhere on the order page (in fact the order page said Serial #: None) or emails from Matrix. I checked the support site for recovering my serial number, but all it does is show me my order. So do I have to wait for the physical copy to arrive? Or is DR supposed to send me a serial number?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote