Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #101
RichW
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Marc: I own OOTP2006, but I didn't get a discount email. What can I do to get the discount? Thanks.

Go to the site http://www.ootpbaseball.net/index.php#home and attempt to register. If it tells you that your E-mail is already registered then you will eventually get the E-mail. Apparently it is taking some time.

If that doesn't work, contact Marc. I'm sure he will take care of you.

FWIW as someone who was mildly disappointed in v2006, in Beta this time I am excited by the historical league accuracy and ease of use. The entire package has improved.
RichW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #102
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Marc: I own OOTP2006, but I didn't get a discount email. What can I do to get the discount? Thanks.
PM me your order ID for 2006
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #103
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW View Post
Go to the site http://www.ootpbaseball.net/index.php#home and attempt to register. If it tells you that your E-mail is already registered then you will eventually get the E-mail. Apparently it is taking some time.

If that doesn't work, contact Marc. I'm sure he will take care of you.

FWIW as someone who was mildly disappointed in v2006, in Beta this time I am excited by the historical league accuracy and ease of use. The entire package has improved.
We're targetting (and mailing out) to our user base in stages.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 AM   #104
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Surely it wasn't that easy to tempt you
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #105
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I honestly can not believe how many people are falling allover themselves to pre-order for an $8 savings.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 02-03-2007 at 08:10 AM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #106
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I order it every year. Why not save $8?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #107
JPhillips
General Manager

I haven't decided whether or not I will purchase, but if I do I want the discount.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #108
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I order it every year. Why not save $8?

Those people sure, but there are so many that complained about 2006 that said they were going to need to see actual improvement in 2007 before they purchased. Many of them seem to be buying. Based on what? $8? You have to pay 7 weeks ahead to save $8?

Nothing has changed, great screenshots, beta testers telling us how great it is. It was pretty far away from great last year, I'm just suprised how many of my fellow skeptics will jump at $8.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #109
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Those people sure, but there are so many that complained about 2006 that said they were going to need to see actual improvement in 2007 before they purchased. Many of them seem to be buying. Based on what? $8? You have to pay 7 weeks ahead to save $8?

Nothing has changed, great screenshots, beta testers telling us how great it is. It was pretty far away from great last year, I'm just suprised how many of my fellow skeptics will jump at $8.

The difference is that we have many people who disliked OOTP 2006 in our beta team, and the positive response from them probably makes the difference for some.

And for $8 you can buy some soda that will help you through the sleepless nights because you can´t stop playing.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #110
andy m
High School Varsity

please offer people who's currency is neither the euro nor the dollar the option to pay using either.

it works out cheaper for me to order in dollars than euros, yet i would be forced to pay using the latter. i don't understand why.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #111
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy m View Post
please offer people who's currency is neither the euro nor the dollar the option to pay using either.

it works out cheaper for me to order in dollars than euros, yet i would be forced to pay using the latter. i don't understand why.

Same here, and I've stressed this before. Marc did say though that they've at least reviewed and adjusted their pricing policy (i.e. €29 and $34.95 instead of €1 = $1 which was just atrocious). I don't think it's real fair, but at least it's better.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #112
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
We're targetting (and mailing out) to our user base in stages.

So I got mine but WTF, it only mentions 10% off which is the same as every year! I have purchased every version of OOTP 4,5,6, 6.5 and spent alot of time discussing OOTP 2006 on here and wasted more than enough time with the demos from last year as well waiting for this game to get playable which didn't happen until october, 5 months before the next release. Anyways, I guess the 25% dicount is only for those who bought, 2006? So, it has nothing to do with being a preorder
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's only 20% for those who bought 2006, but apparently it's 10% for the rest of us (got my 10% email today too.) I'll wait and see, which is what I was leaning towards anyway.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #114
Swaggs
Coordinator

A savings of $3.50 doesn't do much for me.

I'll hold out and see some reviews before deciding this year. Prior to last year, I had bought all versions of Marcus's games since OOTP2, but I did a wait and see last year and it ended up saving me $35 bucks, I suppose.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #115
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't decided whether or not I will purchase, but if I do I want the discount.

I'm with you, $8 is well.. $8.

I waited a LONG time to finally get v2006 and I didn't even play it much at all - but that doesn't mean I won't continue to support Markus and OOTP.

The only way I would get this game site unseen is with a discount and with all the crap about last year's version, I believe this beta testing crew.

The historical simplicity REALLY makes me want this game - I hope FOF can go in this direction at some point.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #116
dime
High School JV

I hate to beat a dead horse, but head to head play is what really interested me and apparently it's an impossibility. That feature would excuse the poor bullpen/lineup AI that makes online leagues hard for me to stick with.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #117
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So, it has nothing to do with being a preorder

Are you sure? My email said the deadline for my discount was Feb 14.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #118
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Are you sure? My email said the deadline for my discount was Feb 14.

My point is the 20% discount is to give something back after last years train wreck of a release , for those who purchased it and the 10% is the usual 105 preorder like always. So what I meant is the 20% discount isn't a preorder reward as SI tried to make it sound. But, I ould be wrong and it doesn't matter if people HERE give the game thumbs up and I like the demo I will buy if it is like last year I will pass on it.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #119
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The difference is that we have many people who disliked OOTP 2006 in our beta team, and the positive response from them probably makes the difference for some.

And for $8 you can buy some soda that will help you through the sleepless nights because you can´t stop playing.

It's hard to believe that people have already forgotten the road to release from OOTP 2006.

Never has a game so invoked Yogi: "I will believe it when I believe it".

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 02-03-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #120
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
I honestly can not believe how many people are falling allover themselves to pre-order for an $8 savings.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

now the game itself is worth every penny and more but you would be hard pressed to get me to so much as stand up for 8 bucks - what is that one trip to Starbucks with the wife?
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #121
AgustusM
College Prospect

the proof is in the pudding and I understand the naysayers being a little gun shy after last year

However, I have played every just about every card, board, computer, dart, coin, slot machine what have you baseball simulation game produced in the last 40 years and OOTP 2007 is the best one.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #122
Bee
Pro Starter

I got a question about the historic sim thing...

So if I understand correctly, you can have the game adjust a player's ratings each season based on their actual historic performance. For guys who had their careers cut short, will it just automatically retire them after their last "real" season?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #123
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
the proof is in the pudding and I understand the naysayers being a little gun shy after last year

However, I have played every just about every card, board, computer, dart, coin, slot machine what have you baseball simulation game produced in the last 40 years and OOTP 2007 is the best one.

No offense to you, but there were beta testers who said the same thing about OOTP 2006.

I hope y'all are correct, but I'm going to be strong and make sure they deliver this time.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #124
Drake
assmaster

I enjoyed OOTP2k6 and more than got my money's worth out of it. *shurg*
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #125
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
No offense to you, but there were beta testers who said the same thing about OOTP 2006.

I hope y'all are correct, but I'm going to be strong and make sure they deliver this time.

for the record - I was not a beta tester in 2006 and I HATED 2006 at release - I was extremely critical of it on that board. I thought it got better with patches, but I still think 2007 is light years better.

I also am very surprised at how critical the beta testers have actually been - there isn't a whole lot of fanboy stuff going on in the beta forums - things that don't work are being called out and corrected.

also for the record I have not been involved in the testing for on-line leagues and as an original member of the UBL I do think that piece is very important. the guys that are testing online say it is much improved, but I honestly haven't even looked at that portion - so I can't really say one way or another how much that part has improved.

having said all that, wait for the demo, try it out, I would be very surprised if the majority of the people who give it a chance are not pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #126
miked
College Starter

Quote:
for the record - I was not a beta tester in 2006 and I HATED 2006 at release - I was extremely critical of it on that board. I thought it got better with patches, but I still think 2007 is light years better.

I also am very surprised at how critical the beta testers have actually been - there isn't a whole lot of fanboy stuff going on in the beta forums - things that don't work are being called out and corrected.

also for the record I have not been involved in the testing for on-line leagues and as an original member of the UBL I do think that piece is very important. the guys that are testing online say it is much improved, but I honestly haven't even looked at that portion - so I can't really say one way or another how much that part has improved.

having said all that, wait for the demo, try it out, I would be very surprised if the majority of the people who give it a chance are not pleasantly surprised.

That was the thing that drove me nuts about the previous 2 versions, the testing for online leagues. I know lots of people who just play online, and it seems every version, huge bugs squirt through. Still, even in 6.5 and earlier, there are tons of bugs (I've even posted some, but the support section is defunct). I wish I wish for a commish override button, would be tremendous!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #127
AgustusM
College Prospect

what would you want a commis override button to do?

there is a new "comish - what do you want to do today" but to be completely honest I haven't checked into that part yet.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #128
miked
College Starter

Quote:
what would you want a commis override button to do?

there is a new "comish - what do you want to do today" but to be completely honest I haven't checked into that part yet.

Well, for example, when I try and do post-deadline trades, it won't let me. Even if I place both players on waivers and they clear, it continually tells me that the players have to clear waivers. So I have to edit their contracts, release them, re-sign them with the new team, then edit the league transactions (for CATO). I would love just an override button to force the trade. There are probably 20 other things like this that don't work correctly that I would love to override.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #129
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, for example, when I try and do post-deadline trades, it won't let me. Even if I place both players on waivers and they clear, it continually tells me that the players have to clear waivers. So I have to edit their contracts, release them, re-sign them with the new team, then edit the league transactions (for CATO). I would love just an override button to force the trade. There are probably 20 other things like this that don't work correctly that I would love to override.

There is a "force trade" button in OOTP 2006. Isn't it?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #130
evil homer
n00b

miked's UBL still runs 6.5, so there is no force trade button.

oh, by the way: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=138387
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #131
Capital
High School Varsity

Will you be able to sim a week or a month like 6.5? I'm not a huge fan of FM continue 1/3 day feature. I'm more of a play multiple seasons as opposed to play out every game.

Also, love the expansion feature. One question, can we expand using current day rosters?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #132
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Will you be able to sim a week or a month like 6.5? I'm not a huge fan of FM continue 1/3 day feature. I'm more of a play multiple seasons as opposed to play out every game.

Yep
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #133
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've got a preliminary preview of the game up, just something that sort of collates the new features and talks about them a little bit.

We're having some temporary server issues (site's running a little bit slow), but it's there. I'm going to attempt to go more in-depth with a second preview later in the week.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #134
SunDevil
College Prospect

thanks for the preview.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I've got a preliminary preview of the game up, just something that sort of collates the new features and talks about them a little bit.

We're having some temporary server issues (site's running a little bit slow), but it's there. I'm going to attempt to go more in-depth with a second preview later in the week.

Nicely done!

In fact, reading your preview made me realize I'm going to wait until after release before picking this one up - yet again. Nothing in particular that was made to look bad, but I'm starting to wonder if OOTP isn't getting to deep for me.

I love the simplicity of Jim's games and ootp is starting to sound to me like there's just too much to mess with for my liking (yes I know they have a built in league creation wizzard). Plus, I miss my High Heat days and I'm hoping MLB 2k7 is a playable game on the 360.

I'm not going to use my 20% off, so if someone would like it, by all means send me a PM and I'll send you the code. (I assume that's ok?)
Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #136
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Nicely done!

In fact, reading your preview made me realize I'm going to wait until after release before picking this one up - yet again. Nothing in particular that was made to look bad, but I'm starting to wonder if OOTP isn't getting to deep for me.

I love the simplicity of Jim's games and ootp is starting to sound to me like there's just too much to mess with for my liking (yes I know they have a built in league creation wizzard). Plus, I miss my High Heat days and I'm hoping MLB 2k7 is a playable game on the 360.

I'm not going to use my 20% off, so if someone would like it, by all means send me a PM and I'll send you the code. (I assume that's ok?)

Really, the game is only as deep as you want it to be. I for example like playing 16-team leagues with the default set of options. It is easy to do, I get to know the players fast and it is lots of fun. And I don't have to worry about lots of other leagues in my universe.

Of course, there are people who prefer having 20 leagues in their universe, nut I am not one of them.

Historicals is a snap to set up too. Just import a season and start playing. The default options work very well, there is no need to tweak anything reallyJust my .02
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #137
Capital
High School Varsity

Markus,

What about scouting...in most of SI games, you are required to send scouts all over the universe to find info about players for signing and drafting purposes. This is oftentimes a weekly occurrance. Will the player be required to do that or is the information (mostly for the draft) be given based upon the scout you sign?

That part of it became too micro for my tastes in SI previous games (even though I bought most of them).
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #138
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Markus,

What about scouting...in most of SI games, you are required to send scouts all over the universe to find info about players for signing and drafting purposes. This is oftentimes a weekly occurrance. Will the player be required to do that or is the information (mostly for the draft) be given based upon the scout you sign?

That part of it became too micro for my tastes in SI previous games (even though I bought most of them).

You can assign task lists to scouts, which makes this pretty easy. However, you can also turn scouts off which is not possible in FM...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really, the game is only as deep as you want it to be. I for example like playing 16-team leagues with the default set of options. It is easy to do, I get to know the players fast and it is lots of fun. And I don't have to worry about lots of other leagues in my universe.

Of course, there are people who prefer having 20 leagues in their universe, nut I am not one of them.

Historicals is a snap to set up too. Just import a season and start playing. The default options work very well, there is no need to tweak anything reallyJust my .02

I appreciate your thoughts and I'll definitly be reading both sites to see if it's indeed a purchase from me. Thanks Markus!

I wish the 20% off lasted till at least a month after release, but since it's it expires in 8 days, someone else that is going to buy could use it.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #140
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

From your preview:
"You set a few key metrics, and every time you start a new career, you can use your previously created manager to jump right in. For a diehard Dodger fan like myself, the ability to do something like that in baseball game would be greatly appreciated. Alas, no such luck. Maybe next year."

You have luck. I just coded this When you create a manager, the selections you make (name etc.) are saved as the default and come up next time you create a new game.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #141
SackAttack
Head Coach

Thanks for the kind words, all. I intend to do a few more of these before launch, so I can really delve into some of the new features.

And Markus, does that mean that other thing I've been pestering you about will get coded if I just mention it in my next preview?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #142
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, all. I intend to do a few more of these before launch, so I can really delve into some of the new features.

And Markus, does that mean that other thing I've been pestering you about will get coded if I just mention it in my next preview?

Sack,

Nice preview especially on the MP side of the game. But, don't forget about all us single player fans. I think alot of us are very interested to here about some of the ways the foreign non-major league leagues/feeder leagues are implemented and playout. So, seeing something like a major league universe with feeder leagues in south america , asia and the carribean.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-07-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 AM   #143
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Sack,

Nice preview especially on the MP side of the game. But, don't forget about all us single player fans. I think alot of us are very interested to here about some of the ways the foreign non-major league leagues/feeder leagues are implemented and playout. So, seeing something like a major league universe with feeder leagues in south america , asia and the carribean.

Honestly, I'm more a SP player than an MP player to begin with, so I don't mean to ignore y'all, but I just find myself seriously excited about some of the MP features that are truly NEW to the experience, like the news articles.

My next preview will definitely focus more on the other side of the coin.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #144
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Maybe
Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #145
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe

Oh, it's comin', then.

Let's see if you can get it addressed before my next preview.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

7 Days left to use my 20% code if anyone wants it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #147
Marc Duffy
SI Games

5 new screenshots up http://www.ootpbaseball.net/screensh...6&&m=02&y=2007
Old 02-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #148
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This looks like it might be a winner.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #149
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This looks like it might be a winner.

Speaking of which, you should head over to the Chan Ho Park thread to wish Mets fans well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #150
Icy
Pro Starter

The auto faces creator is awesome for fictional leagues, every player has a face now, the face changes with the morale (angry, happy), if the player gets more fat, the face gets fat too, and the caps and uniforms are auto updated when the player changes team etc. This is huge for the immersion factor.

Last edited by Icy : 02-09-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote