Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #301
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thanks Doc, but that makes no sense to me.

Unlike PureSim, you need to download the database first. The game is looking for the historical database to get the 1975 players. Look in the mods forum on the OOTP site for a variety of options. The easiest is the Lahman database, but the Gambo database adjusts players so they enter when they were drafted instead of when they made the ML debut. Does that help?

When you go to start the historical league, tell the game where you saved your database and select the master.csv file.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

cool guys, I got it. Thanks for putting up with my stupidity. I'm sure there will be more.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #303
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm going to jump into the Fictional MLB quickstart and go from there. I did a draft with that quickstart, but my payroll was the highest in the league - so I might just do a random draft and take my team from there.

I could also wait for the 2007 roster to get finished and then go from there as I'm sure there will be a real MLB quickstart at some point. (kind of like I do in FOF)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-25-2007 at 12:57 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #304
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I decided I want to simulate 1977- 2006 to see how things work out. Any suggestions for what settings I should use?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #305
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I am trying to sim 30 seasons using the demo and I keep getting a pop up about buying the full version which interupts the sim. I don't suppose there is a way to turn that off?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #306
highfiveoh
Banned

Um, you can only sim up to 6 months of a season anyways, right?
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #307
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post
Um, you can only sim up to 6 months of a season anyways, right?

mmhmm. I just broke him the bad news on AIM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #308
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

This is interesting stuff! I skipped last year's version in favor of PureSim, but I'm thinking this might be a good purchase.

I'd be interested to hear more on the details, for anyone that is inclined...

How are the finances of leagues after a few decades of running?
How is the player development in fictional leagues? Are there breakout players and busts?
How is the AI doing with regard to managing finances and building teams?
Any glaring problems, like stars stuck in the minors, or too many free agents going unsigned, or teams cutting star players?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #309
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm in 1997 in my history replay league -- well, with some liberty takes on team moves, etc. -- but I have no idea where to start my dynasty. I need to figure out where I want to put a team. But then I'll go ahead and get started with players that are at least familiar to me.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #310
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I broke down and bought it...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #311
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So if I am simming multiple seasons does the AI handle all my minor league depth charts, etc...
Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #312
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or not. I'm still having fun with OOTP 6.5, but I keep hearing this whisper in my ear, "Actual expansion. CATO styo in game. Start in 1900 with non-deadball settings. Feeder leagues."

Then the whisper stops for a dramatic pause

...and says, "Save the cheerleader, save the world."

April 23rd can't come fast enough.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #313
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Anybody else trying to sim a decade or so of history with the Icy template? I can't sim more than a couple years without a crash. Only thing I've added is that I copied the parks.dat file over from my 2006 league that had every major/minor league park in there. That shouldn't be doing it. I'm wondering if it's an Icy issue, but I doubt it. It's possible my computer just doesn't like this game.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #314
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
This is interesting stuff! I skipped last year's version in favor of PureSim, but I'm thinking this might be a good purchase.

I'd be interested to hear more on the details, for anyone that is inclined...

How are the finances of leagues after a few decades of running?
How is the player development in fictional leagues? Are there breakout players and busts?
How is the AI doing with regard to managing finances and building teams?
Any glaring problems, like stars stuck in the minors, or too many free agents going unsigned, or teams cutting star players?

1) I started a fictional MLB in 1950 and simmed to 1980. Finances in 1980 are a bit inflated from what they actually were, but its not by any amount that breaks the game. Star players are pulling in $4-5 mil per year.

2.) Definitely seeing breakouts and busts. I have a guy in AAA that was rated as the 2nd best prospect in baseball and he's been slowly slipping because he just isn't developing. His potential is still there according to my scouts, but he's not getting any better right now.

3.) Hard to say because I haven't gotten too deep into this yet, but teams are making use of the 'focus' settings, which are "Rebuild", "Neutral", and "Win Now". I haven't had a chance to really check what kind of impact its having on team transactions, though.

4.) No, No, and No. At least as far as I've seen. Teams are actually looking at their minor league system first after a player gets injured instead of looking at free agency. I also haven't seen any good free agents available during the season yet.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-25-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #315
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Anybody else trying to sim a decade or so of history with the Icy template? I can't sim more than a couple years without a crash. Only thing I've added is that I copied the parks.dat file over from my 2006 league that had every major/minor league park in there. That shouldn't be doing it. I'm wondering if it's an Icy issue, but I doubt it. It's possible my computer just doesn't like this game.

I think it must be the parks.dat that you copied over from ootp2006. Beore releasing the template, to make sure that it all was ok, i simmed in my computer 25 years and it all went fine. Try with the original parks.dat to see if the problem is gone.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #316
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I think it must be the parks.dat that you copied over from ootp2006. Beore releasing the template, to make sure that it all was ok, i simmed in my computer 25 years and it all went fine. Try with the original parks.dat to see if the problem is gone.

Maybe I'll give it a shot, although I don't think that's it, since I don't think it would get through 2-3 seasons before crashing if it were the parks. Most likely some little quirk in my computer. I'll have to wait for the patch and cross my fingers.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #317
molson
General Manager

This possibilities for custom leagues in this game are pretty incredible.

In about 10 minutes, I set up a 4 team Iraqi league, no playoffs, 15-man rosters, 60 game schedule, no financials, 50% foreign players (and everyone else has Iraqi names). Then I simmed out 5 years of history in about 20 minutes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #318
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This possibilities for custom leagues in this game are pretty incredible.

In about 10 minutes, I set up a 4 team Iraqi league, no playoffs, 15-man rosters, 60 game schedule, no financials, 50% foreign players (and everyone else has Iraqi names). Then I simmed out 5 years of history in about 20 minutes.

lol. sweet
Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #319
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So if I am simming multiple seasons does the AI handle all my minor league depth charts, etc...

If you put your GM "on vacation" and have the settings for AI to take over everything set, then yes it will.

Personally, I didn't do that though - least not for the back story simming of the league.

I created a placeholder GM with commish powers who was unemployed. Then, I simmed through all of my "back story years." I then created a GM where I wanted him, in my case controlling the Phillies. Then, I deleted the placeholder GM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #320
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

There is supposed to be an editor button at the end in the form of a tab on players pages. Is it because I am in a certain mode? How can I get in there and change a name or something?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #321
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
There is supposed to be an editor button at the end in the form of a tab on players pages. Is it because I am in a certain mode? How can I get in there and change a name or something?

You probably need to be acting as the commissioner.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #322
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Yeah, you need to be in commish mode to see it. I've been playing in commish mode so I can play around with the editor to find out what affect the ratings have on players.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #323
Senator

Thanks.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 03-25-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #324
Atocep
Coordinator

Manager - Manager Options. Then there's a check box that is "play in commish mode" You can turn it on and off any time you want.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #325
Senator

This caught my attention:

April 25, 1920:
The Cleveland Indians have parted ways with 29-year old shortstop Ray Chapman sending him to the Cincinnati Reds for 30-year old starting pitcher Lynn Brenton. The Indians general manager confirmed the deal in an announcement this morning.

Presently Chapman is batting .200 and has collected no home runs, 1 RBIs, 2 walks, a .273 OBP and scored 2 runs.

Brenton has made 7 career starts, tossed 66.2 innings, struck out 23 batters and walked 27. His record is 3 wins and 4 losses with a 3.51 ERA. He has limited other teams to a .283 average.

If only this had happened. IRL, Chapman only had 4 more months to live before being hit by a pitch from Carl Mays that killed him. Strange, what historical replays do.

Last edited by Senator : 03-25-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #326
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
1) I started a fictional MLB in 1950 and simmed to 1980. Finances in 1980 are a bit inflated from what they actually were, but its not by any amount that breaks the game. Star players are pulling in $4-5 mil per year.

2.) Definitely seeing breakouts and busts. I have a guy in AAA that was rated as the 2nd best prospect in baseball and he's been slowly slipping because he just isn't developing. His potential is still there according to my scouts, but he's not getting any better right now.

3.) Hard to say because I haven't gotten too deep into this yet, but teams are making use of the 'focus' settings, which are "Rebuild", "Neutral", and "Win Now". I haven't had a chance to really check what kind of impact its having on team transactions, though.

4.) No, No, and No. At least as far as I've seen. Teams are actually looking at their minor league system first after a player gets injured instead of looking at free agency. I also haven't seen any good free agents available during the season yet.

That sounds pretty good, thanks.

I might grab this one. Got vacation next week.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

in my present-day career i'm fiddling around with for fun (until updated rosters come out), the yankees traded jeter. To the A's.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #328
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
where do you find this option to change it??

I'm starting one last historical career before I really dig into a career (deciding to use recalc on after all) and under game setup, it says to disable the amateur draft if you want to keep guys on their real life teams when they debut. Otherwise, they are drafted and could end up with any organization.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-25-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #329
Fouts
College Starter

Playing out each game is a little slow, so I started a new league using Icy's mod pack and took a job in single A ball in the Cleveland organization to try some simming.

Since OOTP2k7 changes the minor league lineups each Monday, I now set my lineups on the 7 day lineups screen. It works pretty well as you can see who is tired or injured (I do have to click back to overview to see who is hot/cold). I wish I could copy-paste one of the 7 day lineups.

I have to reset my pitching staff every week, which doesn't bother me as much. Then I go to the schedule tab and click finish day, look at the box score and see how each player and the team did.

Just got to August 1st and the Cleveland GM took half my roster and gave me a bunch of new guys to mold. On top of this we're in the middle of a 3 team pennant race. Fun!!
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 PM   #330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I finally decided on the fictional MLB quickstart and after doing a redraft, my Cardinals are #28 in payroll, which is a good starting point for me to take over. Everything is set to "average" or "normal", so I'll see how the game plays pretty much "out of the box".

I'm going to play some games first to get a feel for my time, then it's time for some simming Skydog style.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #331
Fouts
College Starter

We won the division by 6 games (81-59), but lost in the first playoff round 3 games to 1. My score was 75/100 and I was quickly promoted to the double A Akron Aeros, who finished the previous season 69-73. It's good to see some of the players I coached last season made the jump with me. Here's to a great 2008 campaign!
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #332
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Almanac question: I simmed 30 seasons then I generated an almanac and now I don't really know what to do.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #333
twothree
College Prospect

I am to busy playing to write much, but this is a really good game and after the first patch should be a great game. I really like all the options that are available to customize your league in OOTP 2007. The quickstarts (especially the single ML league) and wizards, which I now no longer need to use, were great when first starting out with the program, as they provided an easy way to get to know the available functions. And, following that up with reading most of the manual has made learning the new game a rather painless transition from OOTP 6.5. Yeah, that took almost a day, but it was a good time to do a historical sim, which finished before I finished the manual.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #334
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Almanac question: I simmed 30 seasons then I generated an almanac and now I don't really know what to do.

Take over a team and play the game? Or, if it really is an almanac question, could you be a little bit more specific? Problems accessing it, looking for a specific piece of information, etc.?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #335
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well I am not really sure what the function of the Almanac is or where I can even access it.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #336
darkenigma510
n00b

The Almanac basically "freezes" up your history at a certain period of time. For example, you could see who the all-time home run leader was at a certain point in time.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #337
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Well I am not really sure what the function of the Almanac is or where I can even access it.

The function of the almanac is to provide useful facts and statistical information. It is refered to in game as the league history report. (See section 12 of the game manual.)

You can access it in game by selecting "history" from the league menu.

You can access it outside the game by opening "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\saved_games\League Name.lg\news\html\index.html" in a browser, replacing "User Name" with your log in (user) name on your computer and replacing "League Name" with the name of your league.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #338
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
The function of the almanac is to provide useful facts and statistical information. It is refered to in game as the league history report. (See section 12 of the game manual.)

You can access it in game by selecting "history" from the league menu.

You can access it outside the game by opening "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\saved_games\League Name.lg\news\html\index.html" in a browser, replacing "User Name" with your log in (user) name on your computer and replacing "League Name" with the name of your league.

Not quite. darkenigma has it up above. It takes that 'history' section and freezes it - it can also include box scores and such for the season the almanac is created after. To access it, I believe you use the Game menu, and then the 'Open Almanac' option.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #339
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

another question.

I did the draft in June and there were only 8 players available?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #340
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius View Post
Not quite. darkenigma has it up above. It takes that 'history' section and freezes it - it can also include box scores and such for the season the almanac is created after. To access it, I believe you use the Game menu, and then the 'Open Almanac' option.

Yep, your right. If you create an almanac at the end of the 1970 season then the game will make a copy of the history report at the end of the 1970 season and save it, which you can access under the game menu and then under open almanac in game.

Or outside the game you can open it from "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data\saved_games\League Name.lg\news\almanac_XXXX\index.html" in a browser, replacing "User Name" with your log in (user) name on your computer, replacing "League Name" with the name of your league, and replacing XXXX with the year of the almanac.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

did all that and when I open index.html I get the white IE screen that says I can't open webpage...
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #342
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
another question.

I did the draft in June and there were only 8 players available?

historical league or fictional league?
number of teams in league?
number of rounds the draft is set to run?

This would be found under the game menu selecting the fourth option game setup. Then select the last tab, league setup. The select the rules tab and look at what amateur draft rules you have set.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #343
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
did all that and when I open index.html I get the white IE screen that says I can't open webpage...

Then open it from within the game by placing your cursor over the "open almanac" option under the game menu. And, you will see some more menu options pop-up to the right, including an "Almanac XXXX" option for each year where you ran the almanac at the end of that year.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM   #344
twothree
College Prospect

If that still gets you a page in your browser that it can't open that file, you could try setting a different browser as your default browser. Also, it could be a firewall setting that is stoping the OOTP program from interacting with the browser.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #345
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

can anybody give a simple explanation for how to get the jerseys, caps, logos, etc. into the game.

I see Icy has something called a template, but it seems you can only use his stuff if you start a 2007 league with fictional players and the settings he likes, which I'm not interested in doing. I also see this "padresfan user mod site" has what appear to be cap, logo, jersey images, but they don't give you a readme or other instructions for what to do with them. that's the most bizarre site. They have all this stuff on there but they don't tell you what to do with it.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #346
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I had the same problem. Aside from my not understanding what the purpose of the Almanac was, the other issue is that even if you understand what you're doing with the Almanac, for some reason the default settings on the Almanac options (the edit profile button) leave history unchecked, so you won't get history unless you change those settings before generating the Almanac.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #347
Ksyrup

Some thoughts after simming a couple of 75-100 year careers with both Lahman and Gambo.

I greatly prefer Lahman to Gambo. Maybe it has something to do with not using the recalc option with Gambo as it suggests, but with Gambo, since it has the players coming in when they first signed a professional contract or appeared in the minors as opposed to the year they first appeared in the Majors like Lahman does it, I found that pretty much all of the decent players barely spent more than part of that first season in the minors before making their MLB debut. As a result, I ended up with a league history that felt like it was 2-4 years "ahead of its time."

What do I mean? Wade Boggs appeared in the Majors in 1976, Jim Rice in 1971, Ted Williams in 1937, Cal Ripken in 1979, etc. All of the players destined to be good who developed as they should skipped their minor league career for the most part and debuted the same year they first appeared in the minors instead of taking 2-4 years to reach the majors. And because they were good, most of them became immediate contributors. Dale Murphy had 6 full all-star seasons by the time 1982 rolled around - during the 1981 off-season, he signed a FA deal with the Angels. I hated the way the league played out with Gambo.

Again, I'm not sure if this would have been different with recalc on, but I'm not playing with that option, so I'm back to Lahman. It's unfortunate, because I could see where Gambo cleared up some things (Bruce Sutter (and several others) was a reliever with Gambo, not a starter as he was in Lahman because that's how he came up IRL, for example), but the early start for majority of good players was too much of an issue for me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #348
miked
College Starter

Might want to check the development modifiers. I noticed when it figures league totals for the season, it also adjusts the development modifiers. Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #349
Ksyrup

In the most recent career sim I have run (I'm up to 1968), Killebrew is having one of the strangest careers I've ever seen. He started as a great, high-average HR hitter, putting up several years in which he hit in the .340-.350s with 50+ HRs, culminating in the Triple Crown in 1961. Starting in 1963, though, without sustaining a single injury from 1961 to 1968, his contact numbers plummeted from 14 in 1963 to 5 in 1968. His eye has decreased slightly as well, but his power remains.

So now what we've got is a guy with a career that is half Lou Gehrig, half Dave Kingman. Starting in 1963, his highest average was .255, and since 1965, he has hit under .200 every year. He was finally traded by Minnesota at the beginning of 1967 after putting up a .132 average in his first 76 ABs. But he continues to mash. In 1968, he hit .159 with 39 HRs. It's as if this guy is Mark McGwire in his final season, except he has no shame and refuses to retire.

It's bizarre and a bit unrealistic, I think, for a team to continue playing a guy hitting in the .100s for 4 straight years, regardless of power numbers. His OPS in these 4 years barely reaches .600 (aside from one year where he almost got to .700 hitting a mighty .197), so it's not like his secondary numbers are making up for it. He flat-out sucks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-26-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #350
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Might want to check the development modifiers. I noticed when it figures league totals for the season, it also adjusts the development modifiers. Just a thought.

The game is supposed to be handling all of that. I wouldn't know what to do with the development modifiers even if I saw an issue. I think it's just that Gambo is designed for use with the recalc option, which I think would re-adjust these guys early on and keep them, by and large, from developing too fast. If a HoFer spent 2 years in the minors and you recalc him in those first 2 years using the 1 or 3-year options, he only has a small portion of MLB service time that gets factored in. With the recalc off and using the "remaining career" option I use, I think his MLB career as a whole gets weighed much more heavily, resulting in an advanced development and quick path to the majors.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-26-2007 at 07:55 AM.