Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Puresim Revisited

I've been under some stress lately, and to try to give myself a little break during the evenings, I've reinstalled PureSim 2007. I had given it a short run last year, but got distracted by Oblivion and didn't make it back.

I'm really impressed with this game now. There have been a number of subtle improvements during the past year. It now feels like it sits firmly in between Baseball Mogul and OOTP: Not simple, not incredibly complex.

Some initial impressions...

Positives:

I love how quickly I was able to set up a league and get going. I had a graphic display issue on player cards that took some time to solve, but with that issue aside, I was able to download, install, create a league exactly the way I wanted it, import player faces, add team logos, and get started in about 30 minutes. Very slick.

There are some third party add-ins that allow you to add more record keeping functionality to the game. Very slick.

The games feel like baseball, with the exception being some minor goofiness with some of the advancing runner plays.

Negatives:

There are some places where the graphics/interface seems cramped and disjoint. In particular, when you sub players during game, you have to scroll to the right to see their ratings in the list, and for hitters you can't see their "eye" rating without pulling up their card. Stats on player cards and some of the tables, too, seem to have some display awkwardness, and there really isn't much of a design unity to the various charts.

I have noticed more triples than homeruns in my twelve-team league so far, but I'm only ten games in and I did set the start date to 1930, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Still, this is a refreshing change of pace. At this point, I don't think I have the time to figure out OOTP, and I'm not confident enough in the support to go back to Baseball Mogul yet.

I'm hoping to give this one a good run, although my Oklahoma City Academics are off to a last place 2-8 start. My pitching sucks donkey poop, my defense is sloppy, and I can't buy a hit with runners on base. After ten games, I have no starting pitcher with a win.

Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I've been under some stress lately, and to try to give myself a little break during the evenings, I've reinstalled PureSim 2007. I had given it a short run last year, but got distracted by Oblivion and didn't make it back.

I'm really impressed with this game now. There have been a number of subtle improvements during the past year. It now feels like it sits firmly in between Baseball Mogul and OOTP: Not simple, not incredibly complex.

Some initial impressions...

Positives:

I love how quickly I was able to set up a league and get going. I had a graphic display issue on player cards that took some time to solve, but with that issue aside, I was able to download, install, create a league exactly the way I wanted it, import player faces, add team logos, and get started in about 30 minutes. Very slick.

There are some third party add-ins that allow you to add more record keeping functionality to the game. Very slick.

The games feel like baseball, with the exception being some minor goofiness with some of the advancing runner plays.

Negatives:

There are some places where the graphics/interface seems cramped and disjoint. In particular, when you sub players during game, you have to scroll to the right to see their ratings in the list, and for hitters you can't see their "eye" rating without pulling up their card. Stats on player cards and some of the tables, too, seem to have some display awkwardness, and there really isn't much of a design unity to the various charts.

I have noticed more triples than homeruns in my twelve-team league so far, but I'm only ten games in and I did set the start date to 1930, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Still, this is a refreshing change of pace. At this point, I don't think I have the time to figure out OOTP, and I'm not confident enough in the support to go back to Baseball Mogul yet.

I'm hoping to give this one a good run, although my Oklahoma City Academics are off to a last place 2-8 start. My pitching sucks donkey poop, my defense is sloppy, and I can't buy a hit with runners on base. After ten games, I have no starting pitcher with a win.

I agree this is a great game if you stick to a set numbe rof teams era e.g after the expansion of the deveil rays and Marlins or after 1976 when the bluejays and whoever wer added to MLB. that is since there is no expansion you can't start in 1908 and run the game for some sim history with out getting 8 teams in 1901 and 8 teams in 2001 But othe rthan that especially fictional setups this is the best and yes it does fell like baseball I agree !00%
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I agree this is a great game if you stick to a set numbe rof teams era e.g after the expansion of the deveil rays and Marlins or after 1976 when the bluejays and whoever wer added to MLB. that is since there is no expansion you can't start in 1908 and run the game for some sim history with out getting 8 teams in 1901 and 8 teams in 2001 But othe rthan that especially fictional setups this is the best and yes it does fell like baseball I agree !00%
Um, the "Drunk Guy" thread is thataway --->

anyhoo, I'm pretty sure that expansion IS integrated into PS07...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Wow. that is sloppy That's what I get for trying to multitask, work, handle a baby and post And thanks for the expansion info as far as I knew it was taken out awhile ago to be added at a later date?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Ok as for expansion based on MLB history here is athe post from Shaun :
"If you mean based on historical expansion of MLB then, no, it will not. That's something I'd like to do at some point... "

So no expansion is not in historical leagues in Puresim.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Ok as for expansion based on MLB history here is athe post from Shaun :
"If you mean based on historical expansion of MLB then, no, it will not. That's something I'd like to do at some point... "

So no expansion is not in historical leagues in Puresim.

I haven't played PureSim in awhile, but I remember being able to manually expand any league I had, even historical leagues. It sounds like you are looking for automatic expansion, which isn't in there.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
JW
College Prospect

I like Puresim and played a pretty long fictional league on it a few months ago. It has some things I like. I prefer OOTP 6.51 though and am currently playing a fictional league with 6.51. Puresim is a good game, though.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I haven't played PureSim in awhile, but I remember being able to manually expand any league I had, even historical leagues. It sounds like you are looking for automatic expansion, which isn't in there.

Correct. No biggie just fired OOTP 2007.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been on a baseball kick lately.. any updates to PS?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote