Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have no doubt the coding on things like Ks and cycles is difficult. I'm not sure how to improve the accuracy of the numbers. But the numbers don't seem to be in line with real experience.

I'm looking at a league I simmed through 1969 from 1901. There is 1 18 K game, 6 17 K games, and 6 16 K games. That's it.

Another league I simmed, this one through 2001 - 1 19 K game (Floyd Youmans LOL), 2 18 K games, 7 17 K games, and 13 16 K games.

A little nitpick with the listing of Ks on the Accomplishments screen - the "sorting" feature only sorts by IP, not by Ks, so there's no way to see a real list of the most Ks, you have to pick them out of the list based on either the most IP or the least IP.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #52
Huckleberry
College Starter

I used to think cycles were too frequent, as well. As recently as yesterday, in fact.

Then I looked them up and found that from 2000-2007, eight seasons, there were 33 instances. Right at four per year.

There were 71 in this 20-year sim that is presumably based on modern settings.

So I think the problem with cycles is not that they're too frequent in OOTP. It's that their importance and status in OOTP are elevated because they're listed in the historic accomplishments section. In real life you hear about a guy hitting for the cycle and it's neat. Then you forget about it.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #53
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
Actually, a friend of mine is the former Mayor of Easton, and he wanted to build it in Williams Township.(where I live) They actually started construction, and then stopped midway through, only to tear down what they had built (a half stadium) and start all over in the current location.(the old Agere site) Talk about a waste of tax dollars!!!

Damn, I hadn't heard that!

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #54
Nice Guy Eddie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Damn, I hadn't heard that!

Here you go Bonegavel.

http://blog.pennlive.com/lehighvalle...recurring.html
Nice Guy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #55
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post

What a waste. Well, I hope if I buy OOTP9 it won't be a waste.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #56
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have no doubt the coding on things like Ks and cycles is difficult. I'm not sure how to improve the accuracy of the numbers. But the numbers don't seem to be in line with real experience.

I'm looking at a league I simmed through 1969 from 1901. There is 1 18 K game, 6 17 K games, and 6 16 K games. That's it.

Another league I simmed, this one through 2001 - 1 19 K game (Floyd Youmans LOL), 2 18 K games, 7 17 K games, and 13 16 K games.

A little nitpick with the listing of Ks on the Accomplishments screen - the "sorting" feature only sorts by IP, not by Ks, so there's no way to see a real list of the most Ks, you have to pick them out of the list based on either the most IP or the least IP.

From 1901 to 1969 the simulated number match pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nning_MLB_game

I don't know about your sim up to 2001, by the few high K pitchers just did not turn into what they were in real life in that sim.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #57
RainMaker
General Manager

The stats and everything look great. Looks like a lot of areas have improved. Is there a way you could run a sim on the new MLB rosters? I know a lot of people are curious to see how they turn out. Would be the reason for my buying or not buying this version.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #58
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Second, on the player card, when a player plays for multiple teams in a season, it makes sense that it be sorted chronologically instead of alphabetically.

Does OOTP feature something like this?

The Baseball Reference website features a "hide partial seasons/show season totals" toggle. The default career history table shows you the season and the team and, by default, shows you "totals" in a year in which a player played on more than one team. Then, if you click "show partial seasons," it will show you the breakdown. Any way this little feature could find its way into the game?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #59
Ksyrup

That's not been in previous versions. Would be a great addition, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #60
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The Mac version does... under Windoes this is not that easy to code unfortunately.

ugh...I don't like hearing this....color me disappointed, these kinds of games really would benefit from this support
Old 06-12-2008, 01:34 AM   #61
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Does OOTP feature something like this?

The Baseball Reference website features a "hide partial seasons/show season totals" toggle. The default career history table shows you the season and the team and, by default, shows you "totals" in a year in which a player played on more than one team. Then, if you click "show partial seasons," it will show you the breakdown. Any way this little feature could find its way into the game?

The toggle is not there, but it shows you partial & total lines
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #62
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Is it possible that I can just play a MLB type league with real players and complete minor leagues? None of that other hoopla - Japan, France, etc.

I just want to be able to do what I could do in OOTP 6 without feeling like I have to take a OOTP 999 college course.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #63
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Is it possible that I can just play a MLB type league with real players and complete minor leagues? None of that other hoopla - Japan, France, etc.

Of course! It's just a single click of a button
Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #64
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Of course! It's just a single click of a button

Haha
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #65
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The toggle is not there, but it shows you partial & total lines

Yeah, but Markus, it is really irritating to read stats on lines like this-

2006 Cleveland....
2007 Boston...
2007 Cleveland...
2007 Total..

I shouldn't need to look at the history to see who he finished the season with. Logically in the above he finished with Cleveland, when in the game, he probably finished with Boston.

It should be-

2006 Cleveland
2007 Cleveland
2007 Boston
2007 Total

That is much easier, and faster when I am scanning stats. I play without very accuarate ratings, so scanning stats has to be important.

Thanks

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #66
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

2006 Cleveland....
2007 Boston...
2007 Cleveland...
2007 Total..

I shouldn't need to look at the history to see who he finished the season with. Logically in the above he finished with Cleveland, when in the game, he probably finished with Boston.

It should be-

2006 Cleveland
2007 Cleveland
2007 Boston
2007 Total

That is much easier, and faster when I am scanning stats. I play without very accuarate ratings, so scanning stats has to be important.

Thanks

I agree, that's why the subtotals have a different color in the player profile screen. The player HTML page/screen does hot have that though, sorry
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #67
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

2006 Cleveland....
2007 Boston...
2007 Cleveland...
2007 Total..

It should be-

2006 Cleveland
2007 Cleveland
2007 Boston
2007 Total

Thanks

Agreed. OOTP throws a lot of numbers at you, much more so than any other text sim (or sport). It would be easier if we could customize the player page appearance to include certain types of information and exclude other types of informatino which we deem superfluous. This would be one example, the "hide partial seasons" toggle would be another. OOTP is all about customization so I think this ability would only further act as a selling point for the game.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #68
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

I am a fairly computer savy person, and I owned OOTP 7, and I had a hard time getting started with the game, as I found it fairly intimidating, as far as managing day-to-day operations of the team.

Does OOTP9 include improvements for new users, such as tutorials, walkthroughs, etc?
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Traditional v. Sabermetric creation modifiers are the most confusion piece of gobbly-gook ever. No one has any clue what they're supposed to do clearly and it's never been stated definitively what they do. For instance, do the sabermetric modifier control the talent level of kids created in feeder leagues? What is their purpose? Why were they called Sabermetric? It doesn't mean anything to the 'average' person or even a more savvier mind who isn't really a student of sabermetrics.

Some clarity on that would be dandy.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #70
Ksyrup

I thought there were going to be some sort of "Road to Release" teasers leading up to next week? We got the initial announcement and Ben made a few posts, but then nothing out of the OOTP camp?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #71
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is it currently possible to create a 10 team fictional league in OOTP and then set the league to expand every few years?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #72
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Is it currently possible to create a 10 team fictional league in OOTP and then set the league to expand every few years?

You can schedule expansion manually exactly the way you want it (# of teams, expansion draft, protection lists etc.)
Old 06-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #73
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Traditional v. Sabermetric creation modifiers are the most confusion piece of gobbly-gook ever. No one has any clue what they're supposed to do clearly and it's never been stated definitively what they do. For instance, do the sabermetric modifier control the talent level of kids created in feeder leagues? What is their purpose? Why were they called Sabermetric? It doesn't mean anything to the 'average' person or even a more savvier mind who isn't really a student of sabermetrics.

Some clarity on that would be dandy.

Anytime an amateur is created, the PCM of the parent league is used for talent. The PCM of a feeder league is just used to calculate the current ability once the player is created, but his talent is calculated using the parent league PCMs.

PCM of affiliated minor leagues are ONLY used in intial league creation. All players created for the amateur draft for the major league use the major league PCMs, and then the current ability is adjusted by using stuff like age or if the players is from college or highschool.