Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Huckleberry
College Starter

OOTP Online League Questions

Hey guys, I'm going to be doing an online league just for me and my brother (he's in NYC and it's something to compete against each other in). I'm just trying to see if anyone can help me with the best way to do this. I have a 120 Mb disk quota for my website and a 1Gb transfer limit per month.

I've already uploaded the league file for him. I'd like to also post the website but will I have enough room to even think about doing that? I am guessing that we will just have to look at everything in game.

Are there any tips or tricks that make this process a lot easier on OOTP9? My bare bones initial league .tar.gz file is about 25 Mb. That gives me the transfer ability for about 20 upload/download combos, maybe a little less with his team exports. Either way, 3 per week is doable.

But once he loads the initial file, will the future files be a lot smaller as they only update certain .dat files and other information?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
cooleyvol
n00b

Subsequent files will be much smaller 'update' files. That being said, if you plan on upload a full set of reports, you're going to pop your disk limit very quickly.

Much larger hosting packages are available for around 5 bucks a month.

Gridiron Glory
British Baseball Society
cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleyvol View Post
Subsequent files will be much smaller 'update' files. That being said, if you plan on upload a full set of reports, you're going to pop your disk limit very quickly.

Much larger hosting packages are available for around 5 bucks a month.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going to be uploading the reports. It's not so much the money for a new host, but OOTP9 seems to take forever to generate and upload the report files. Is that just me or something others have complained about? I haven't done anything online since OOTP 6.5 I don't think.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm going to be uploading the reports. It's not so much the money for a new host, but OOTP9 seems to take forever to generate and upload the report files. Is that just me or something others have complained about? I haven't done anything online since OOTP 6.5 I don't think.

That is a common complaint that it takes a while to generate the game files as well as the reports (and to upload them). If it is something that you will be doing regularly, you likely will save yourself a good deal of time by using outside of game applications for the upload part.

ie: Have the game create the game lg.tar.gz file and have the game generate the reports that you want. Then use winzip (or some other archiving application of your choice) to pack up all of the report files and then use whatever FTP client you choose to upload both the league lg.tar.gz file as well as the reports zip file. Once on your server, make sure that the league file goes in the correct directory to be auto-downloaded to the game and then extract your report zip file to the proper locations for the reports.

For me doing that with outside applications saves nearly 1 - 2 hours of time each day. As for server usages, I currently use for an online OOTP league the following:

1.5 GB of web server space
4.2 GB of transfer thus far this month.

I am guessing that my league gets a good deal more amount of transfers then most however since we have roughly 20 sim days a month.

You probably are going to be ok with the amount of transfer space that you have per month if it is just you and your brother, but I don't think you'll be able to fit the league file plus the reports inside of the 120 MB disk quota unfortunately.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

Thanks a bunch for the info. Looks like no web page for us.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Huckleberry
College Starter

Okay, so I ponied up for web space (for a different purpose but now the league will tag along).

The league html reports file is over a gig, of course. I am currently trying to upload it and it's taking a long time, but I will now try to unzip on the server. We'll see how it goes.

My question, though, is what to upload between sims. Seems like the history folder doesn't need to be touched except between seasons. Same with the images folder. So is it just the box scores, coaches, game logs, leagues, players, and teams folders in the html reports? Any reason whatsoever to upload anything out of history or images during a season?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

You are using OOTP9 correct? In the Report creation settings, you can choose specifically which reports you want to upload and then choose the option to have it put them all into a zip file for you instead of uploading them individually if you want.

That likely will be a bit easier for you at start, and you can always open it up to see which files are needed if you want to do it manually in the future.

For some of your specific questions, yes you don't need to upload the history reports other than once a season (after the season is over). Images you -can- upload during the season if you want, but you have to remember to go in and re-create pictures for players that changed teams. To make things easier, unless it is a huge demand, you likely can just upload those once a season as well (perhaps at the start of the season with them in their new team's uniforms).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote