Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Workers Lose $3 Billion a Year in FSA Contributions (and Employers Get to Keep It)

Story

Quote:
Flexible spending account (FSA) holders forfeited an estimated total of $7.2 billion in 2019 and 2020, a much higher amount than previously estimated, according to new data obtained and exclusively analyzed by Money.

FSAs allow millions of employees to use pre-tax dollars for approved health-related expenses, including copays, prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines. The catch: If you enroll, IRS rules require you to spend the money you contribute into your account by an annual deadline. In other words, if you don’t use it, you lose it: the money is forfeited.

More than 40% of workers with FSAs forfeited at least part of their account contributions in recent years, according to new data that the nonprofit Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) shared with Money. On average, they lost between $339 and $408 a year by not using up all of their FSA money by the spending deadline. All that forfeited FSA money isn't tracked closely by the federal government, and it's likely those billions of forfeited dollars ended up going right back into employers' pockets.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-21-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

I've always hated FSA "use it or lose it". I never understood the rationale for this other but there must be some arcane deal/rationale for this.

You'd think it would be like ... you can roll over what did not use for up to a max of $X.

HSA is better but needed a high deductible plan.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:56 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

Workers Lose $3 Billion a Year in FSA Contributions (and Employers Get to Keep It)

The rationale is that capitalism in America is not real capitalism

It’s a lie based on politics and votes (dog whistle) but the fact is that capitalism is a construct enabling the higher ups to tease the plebes while keeping themselves in power and lining their pockets.
still the best wealth creator in the world can mitigate world wars when used correctly so it’s not all negative. It’s certainly been identified as such within the last 30 years by the manipulators and thus they’ve gotten really really good and protecting and playing the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 12-22-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:23 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
It's a lie based on politics and votes (dog whistle) but the fact is that capitalism is a construct enabling the higher ups to tease the plebes while keeping themselves in power and living their pockets.

That's what capitalism is for sure. You can't have the rich without creating tons of poverty.

I'm going to take a big hit this year with my FSA. I see an out of state psychologist (from north carolina before i moved to indiana) and she has always been out of network, so I pay full price, the FSA helps make that a little less bad. New insurance this year, my shrink is in network, but I already maxxed my FSA before I knew that, as a result I'll probably lose out on $2000 or so.

Last edited by Radii : 12-21-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno buy a ton of extra contacts or some tens machines or even certain fsa approved footwear rather than give it up?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm annoyed that most over the counter meds were excluded a couple of years ago. If we were a couple hundred short, it was fairly easy to make it up. You could just redo the medicine cabinet and replace the expired stuff, replace a worn out heating pad or arm brace - that sort of stuff. But most aren't in ours anymore.

Also, agreed - the use it or lose it aspect is just stupid. Again, should be rolled over - businesses can take the tiny hit tax-wise rather than having employees play guessing games with what they might need.

We had one for daycare and that was really nice while the kid was small. It had a $5K max and the reimbursement process was really wonky. But we figured that saved us at least $1K per year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-22-2022 at 07:57 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I unintentionally gamed the system back when I got LASIK. I used an FSA to pay for it, and you could use your yearly total at anytime. So if you had a procedure you knew was going to cost say $2400, you could have it done in January, and just pay in $200/month and not make any more FSA claims for the year. I had LASIK done in January of 2000, and changed jobs in March. At the new job I told them I still had a balance, and if their FSA would cover the amount I still owed. They said unless I signed something saying I was responsible for the balance, that I was home free.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-22-2022 at 10:52 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That's what capitalism is for sure. You can't have the rich without creating tons of poverty.

I'm going to take a big hit this year with my FSA. I see an out of state psychologist (from north carolina before i moved to indiana) and she has always been out of network, so I pay full price, the FSA helps make that a little less bad. New insurance this year, my shrink is in network, but I already maxxed my FSA before I knew that, as a result I'll probably lose out on $2000 or so.

If you take any meds that are costly, you could try to get 3 month supplies before the end of the year. Or see if over the counter medicines and medical supplies are covered.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:46 AM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Contacts and glasses are a great idea. Good call!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #10
henry296
College Starter

Also, most plans give you through March of the following year... at least mine does.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

Prescription safety glasses are great for the yard work type tasks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #12
evil homer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm annoyed that most over the counter meds were excluded a couple of years ago. If we were a couple hundred short, it was fairly easy to make it up. You could just redo the medicine cabinet and replace the expired stuff, replace a worn out heating pad or arm brace - that sort of stuff. But most aren't in ours anymore.

Also, agreed - the use it or lose it aspect is just stupid. Again, should be rolled over - businesses can take the tiny hit tax-wise rather than having employees play guessing games with what they might need.

We had one for daycare and that was really nice while the kid was small. It had a $5K max and the reimbursement process was really wonky. But we figured that saved us at least $1K per year.

SI

OTC meds are now eligible for HSA/FSAs again. the 2020 CARES act restored it.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:57 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil homer View Post
OTC meds are now eligible for HSA/FSAs again. the 2020 CARES act restored it.

Ooh. Good to know

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

This is a great point, I am due for an eye exam this year and likely new glasses. I'll save that for April/May (our FSA "year" starts June 1) and get something fancy.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote