Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

NFL weekly DFS contest?

I have a group of "friends" who play together in a special DFS setup - we play on FanDuel, but there's no reason why this couldn't be hosted on another site.

The basic idea is this: set up a "league" on the site (where they take a cut of the money) for the lowest possible stakes, but then settle the real winnings/losses off-site, manually.

Here's an excerpt from the season-kickoff for this year:

Quote:
Rules:

All entrants are expected to submit a roster every week of the regular NFL season (18 weeks) and the first two rounds of playoffs (2 weeks) for a total of 20 weeks.

Not submitting an entry results in a loss charge of $50 and automatic last place for the week.

Reconciling will happen after week 10 and after week 20. An updated points/dollars spreadsheet will be provided from time to time, (mostly on a weekly basis).

Weekly contest:

All games are played on FanDuel under the league name NAMENAMENAME

Your line up must be submitted in the league, no outside entries will qualify.
Your total points are the final tally by FD of your rostered team, finalized the following day of the last eligible game.

All substitutions, roster positions, eligibility , and scoring is determined by the FanDuel interface.

There is a small entry fee to play on FD, this allows us the flexibility for the league. The first three highest scores at the end of the season will win a small cash prize from FD.

Scoring & Payout

The first place team (most points scored) will receive $2.00 per point difference over each contestant. The difference is the winners score minus each opponents score.

The second place team (second most points scored) will receive $1.00 per point difference over each opponent, other than the winner. The difference is the second place score minus the opponents score.

In the rare event of a tie, money is split (ex winner tie, each will receive 1.00 p point instead of 2.00)

Places 4th – 9th will also pay a winner bonus of $25 to first place. No other bonus is in play.

So, this setup is enough to make it "worth the time." This year the group appears to be growing from 8 entries to maybe 11-12, so it's possible we reshuffle the prizes to award something for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... TBA (but unlikely I think). Regardless... it's not "big money" exactly, but winning a week is definitely worth something in the hundreds of dollars.

So... I like this setup a lot, I like it a LOT more than playing 150x entries into the $3 GPP tournaments in hopes of some yahtzee score here and there (though I confess to doing a bit of that, too).

Bottom line: if there were interest here in setting something up like this, I would be willing to be the treasurer and scorekeeper of a league/group of this nature.

Anticipating one likely response... I am willing to do the admin/legwork for a league at meaningful stakes like this, but to be candid, if there's only interest in something that turns dollars into dimes or whatnot, I'd play but not volunteer to run it.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I should say... given the nature of this being a remote site, if I were to run this I'm not doing it based on credit. I'd want each owner to rest funds with me in an amount enough to satisfy the window of your commitment, more or less. If you're not comfortable with that, and I'd fully understand if so, then we could either find some sort of online escrow service, or else this just isn't a fit. If I collected $500 from each of you participants for these purposes, I'm not changing my life over that, and not running out on you all, but if you're not comfy with the setup, take a pass.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-04-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

futile bump
Old 09-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Does this work with stakes less than 5K?

Last edited by Toddzilla : 09-04-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

The model works fine. I think, for the group that already does this, we put in $25 each for the season-long competition on FanDuel, so they take 10% of that. But the arithmetic of settling up on the side would work fine for any level of investment, obviously.

The weakness is it takes a bit of time and effort to manage it, track the scores, and comptroller the whole thing. I'm willing to do that myself, for a group here, if a good season might net me $2,000 in the end. I'm not willing to invest that time if a good season might net me $200 in the end. Just a realistic assessment of my labor and how much I want to do even more of this than I already do.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Rephrased the reference to money in post #2 above. A bad week in this system probably costs you $100 or so. A deposit of ~$500 would be what I'd expect from each player to get things started, and you'd draw down from that.

My mention of $5,000 was not per person, it was meant as an illustration... I'm not fucking running off to Mexico if I get $5,000 from a gaggle of FOFCers, nor am I even leaving the forum over it. I actually know a guy who did so for even less, and fuck him. I'm not gonna be him.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-04-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Totally doable - I'm in.

and about 20 years ago the guy holding the money for our league skipped town with it, we never saw a penny of it again.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fandual is running a 4 million dollar Thursday night single game tournament, 1 million to first. Just over 100K entries so far out of 900K. Wonder what kind of overlay it will have.

I plan on max entering the opening day 3.5 million. I have grinded out about 75 entries already through satellites.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

If you gather enough interest. Im up for it. 10+ teams
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

...just settled up with the '22 season crew (treasurer devolved to me this year). I ended up second best of the lot, up into low 4-figure territory on the year.

I would like to run something similar here... I get a lot more out ot competing against a familiar lot of opponents, rather than just against randos online.