Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will the results be of the mid terms?
Red Wave- take control of both house and senate 23 50.00%
Blue Wave-keep control of both house and senate 4 8.70%
Split- Dems keep senate, lose house 19 41.30%
Split- Dems lose senate, take house 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #551
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Newsmax has called it for Warnock, so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #552
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NBC just called it for Warnock.

Joe Manchin can now eat a dick
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #553
Edward64
Head Coach

CNN has Warnock as projected winner.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #554
Ksyrup

CNN as well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #555
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The only counties that are still in the 80% votes in categories are the juse ones that vote blue
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #556
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

with sauce
Old 12-06-2022, 09:33 PM   #557
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
with sauce

Or he can just lick some ketchup off of the walls
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #558
Ksyrup

I saw a tweet that said, I can't wait to hear Herschel's concussion speech.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #559
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

or ksyrup and smother him in his sexy syrup
Old 12-06-2022, 09:46 PM   #560
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Yep, Manchin is tonight's biggest loser.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:01 PM   #561
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to Warnock.

Herschel, you still had surprising support (currently) at 49.3%. Come back and live in GA, publicly make amends with your kids & their mommas, learn the issues vs vampires/werewolves, and I do think you'll have a shot at the next one. But I'm going guess that you won't/can't and the GA GOP party won't support you next time.

Maybe run in Texas?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:08 PM   #562
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Congrats to Warnock.

Herschel, you still had surprising support (currently) at 49.3%. Come back and live in GA, publicly make amends with your kids & their mommas, learn the issues vs vampires/werewolves, and I do think you'll have a shot at the next one. But I'm going guess that you won't/can't and the GA GOP party won't support you next time.

Maybe run in Texas?

Edit: Removing the Cruz joke in light of his daughter's suicide attempt

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-06-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #563
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man am I glad I don't have to say Senator Walker for the next 6 years
Old 12-06-2022, 10:12 PM   #564
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

warnock's term is 6 years?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #565
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

i love this joke SO much!
Old 12-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #566
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
warnock's term is 6 years?

I thought so. It isn't?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #567
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yep he and Mark Kelly were special elections which are 2 year terms, and now they are 6.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:50 PM   #568
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 12-06-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #569
Thomkal
Head Coach

heh
Old 12-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #570
Edward64
Head Coach

I did a cursory google but did not find anyone else other than AZ Lake & Hamadeh not conceding their mid-term loss. Anyone else?

Opinion: Arizonans aren't buying what Kari Lake is peddling | CNN
Quote:
Hobbs defeated Lake by 17,117 votes, or a 0.6% difference. Kris Mayes, the Democratic candidate for attorney general, edged out Republican Abe Hamadeh by a mere 511 votes, triggering an automatic recount.
:
Still, neither Lake nor Hamadeh have conceded, a fact left unmentioned in the certification ceremony.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:04 AM   #571
Ksyrup

Laxalt conceded but with the recent Twitter files thing, is back to throwing out there that his election probably wasn't on the up and up.

So far, the post-mortem that I've seen on (or through) Twitter from Trumpers is that the establishment GOP led by McConnell and Never Trumpers joined forces with Dems to beat Walker. I mean, they have demonstrated that they are going to go down swinging, so this is not exactly a surprise. This whole thing feels like watching a bad, real-life psychology experiment. I could only get about a half-dozen comments deep into some of the Twitter threads before I felt my mental health start top nose-dive at the drivel some of these people post.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-07-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:27 AM   #572
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fun fact: six years from now Stetson Bennett will be old enough to run for a Senate seat.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #573
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fun fact: six years from now Stetson Bennett will be old enough to run for a Senate seat.

Wonder if he is a Democrat or Republican? If he really wants to & doesn't do anything stupid, he has a good shot.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #574
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Laxalt conceded but with the recent Twitter files thing, is back to throwing out there that his election probably wasn't on the up and up.

So far, the post-mortem that I've seen on (or through) Twitter from Trumpers is that the establishment GOP led by McConnell and Never Trumpers joined forces with Dems to beat Walker. I mean, they have demonstrated that they are going to go down swinging, so this is not exactly a surprise. This whole thing feels like watching a bad, real-life psychology experiment. I could only get about a half-dozen comments deep into some of the Twitter threads before I felt my mental health start top nose-dive at the drivel some of these people post.

I think election denial has crested.

Even with Trump running and (fair chance) losing, I doubt it'll get back to that 2020 craziness level. Everyone is too aware.

I will say for 2024, all the states Secretary of States better make sure they are all buttoned up and have full transparency.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-07-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #575
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think election denial has crested.

Even with Trump running and (fair chance) losing, I doubt it'll get back to that 2020 craziness level. Everyone is too aware.

I will say for 2024, all the states Secretary of States better make sure they are all buttoned up and have full transparency.

Its political usefulness has waned so it's time to move onto grooming kids or whatever the next windmill is. Sure, there were and will always be some true believers. And there still will be grifters and opportunists - we'll be hearing for decades about stolen elections because everyone loves the greatest hits. But it's just another tool in the fascism toolbox and a particularly dangerous one.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #576
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
So far, the post-mortem that I've seen on (or through) Twitter from Trumpers is that the establishment GOP led by McConnell and Never Trumpers joined forces with Dems to beat Walker.

Did they say anything about the reverse vampires, Rand corporation or saucer people?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #577
Edward64
Head Coach

Nothing wrong with believing in saucer people
Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #578
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

That is hilarious.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #579
Edward64
Head Coach

Have been thinking about the new (I think) paradigm shift.

We've been saying "it's about the economy stupid" since the Bill Clinton days. I've taken this to mean how well or not the economy is doing is the primary driver of overall election results.

But it looks as if the mid-terms has shown that it's not all about the economy or, at least, it's no longer "the" driving force.

I do wonder if this will hold true for Presidential elections.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #580
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the economy is still a major driver, and what voters said were important issues bears that out. But I think that applies more in 'normal' political times. I.e. times when one party isn't as completely and obviously off the deep end as Republicans currently are. They found a way to make enough voters fear what they are doing even more than they fear inflation problems etc. If you had Bush-style 'country club' Republicans running, there's little question in my mind it would have been a GOP wave.

Always possible that it's just 'no the economy isn't that important anymore', but I don't think you can look at what's going on in the country and view it through a normal lens when you have significant elements in good standing of a party openly opposing our system of government .
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #581
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

"It's the economy, stupid" is not about how well or not the economy is doing, it's about how economically secure/prosperous (or not) people feel. That's why it worked - Bill Clinton got people to think that he knew how they felt when the economy wasn't working for them.

It's pretty amazing that the GOP have managed to engineer several culture war issues that have overshadowed this basic concern in the electorate, but I don't think for a minute that it won't continue to be a major influence in elections going forward.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #582
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think the economy is still a major driver, and what voters said were important issues bears that out. But I think that applies more in 'normal' political times. I.e. times when one party isn't as completely and obviously off the deep end as Republicans currently are. They found a way to make enough voters fear what they are doing even more than they fear inflation problems etc. If you had Bush-style 'country club' Republicans running, there's little question in my mind it would have been a GOP wave.

Always possible that it's just 'no the economy isn't that important anymore', but I don't think you can look at what's going on in the country and view it through a normal lens when you have significant elements in good standing of a party openly opposing our system of government .

Like so much, this is all about Trump. If he doesn't stick his nose into this, the GOP gets a wave like you said. If he doesn't hand pick a number of candidates, we aren't debating Dr. Oz's residency, Kari Lake's voluminous crazy crap, or werewolves vs vampires instead of economy, economy, economy. Plus, the GOP can try to mute some of the litter boxes in schools type crap. If Jan 6 doesn't happen, the Dems are more frustrated that stuff didn't get done instead of energized because it's the first time in most people's lifetimes here that it feels like democracy in this country sits on a knife's edge.

Also, there's some weirdness about this economy. Prices and inflation are high. But employment is still also running high, even as wages can't catch up. Things seem more affordable when they're a few dollars out of reach versus when you're bringing in 0.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #583
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Like so much, this is all about Trump. If he doesn't stick his nose into this, the GOP gets a wave like you said. If he doesn't hand pick a number of candidates, we aren't debating Dr. Oz's residency, Kari Lake's voluminous crazy crap, or werewolves vs vampires instead of economy, economy, economy. Plus, the GOP can try to mute some of the litter boxes in schools type crap. If Jan 6 doesn't happen, the Dems are more frustrated that stuff didn't get done instead of energized because it's the first time in most people's lifetimes here that it feels like democracy in this country sits on a knife's edge.

Also, there's some weirdness about this economy. Prices and inflation are high. But employment is still also running high, even as wages can't catch up. Things seem more affordable when they're a few dollars out of reach versus when you're bringing in 0.

SI

The only way we were going to see that red wave was if the GOP just sat back and did nothing, which goes against their playbook of engagement based on divisiveness. Nearly all of their major policy viewpoints are unpopular and every time they're in the news pushing policy it's a reminder to the public about Roe, gay marriage, student debt, ect and they've done nothing to try to get the stink of Jan 6 off their party for fear of turning away a portion of their base.

Complaining about the economy is only going to go so far when you're not offering a single solution and, as you said, unemployment isn't the issue here.

This should be a wake up call to the GOP that they need to rethink policy, stop trying to sell everyone on Biden being senile and incompetent, and move on from Trump. The only one they seem to even be considering is dumping Trump, though, and it's like everyone is dipping their toe in water waiting for someone else to have the balls to dive straight in.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #584
Ksyrup

The big issue they have is that I doubt they'll all agree on one candidate as THE one, and if you have another dozen candidates going up against Trump in winner-takes-all primaries where Trump could easily win with 25%, then they're stuck with him again - plus a bunch of people who consider themselves future candidates are now screwed for daring to go against Trump.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #585
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
The big issue they have is that I doubt they'll all agree on one candidate as THE one, and if you have another dozen candidates going up against Trump in winner-takes-all primaries where Trump could easily win with 25%, then they're stuck with him again - plus a bunch of people who consider themselves future candidates are now screwed for daring to go against Trump.
And that absolutely does feel like it is were things are going. The only thing that could possibly derail it is an indictment and/or conviction. The way they have drug their feet on that says that isn't likely to happen before the next election. I also don't know if Trump might still win the Republican nomination from jail. Heck, it might win him more votes.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #586
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Okay, I'll take it as a one-off in a weird time in our history.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #587
Flasch186
Coordinator

Serious question:

Why didn’t the Jan 6 Committee just give everything to a newly created senate committee to keep the investigation going? (Applicable to all investigations)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #588
Edward64
Head Coach

538 survey on top priority. See below link with graphic about 1/3 down.

We Asked Americans To Explain Their 2022 Votes — And How They’re Thinking About 2024 | FiveThirtyEight

The top 3 issues (can only pick one) are below but were different priorities if you were Dem, Rep or Independent. For Reps, #1 was Inflation. For Dems, #1 was extremism.
  1. Inflation or increasing costs
  2. Political extremism or polarization
  3. Abortion
Some good news.

Quote:
In fact, 69 percent of Americans agreed that they trusted the results of the midterms, compared with only 16 percent who disagreed. Democrats were more likely to say they trusted the results (88 percent), but a healthy majority of Republicans (65 percent) said the same — a change from what we saw two years ago.
Miscellaneous notes:

Quote:
Regarding other issues, Americans’ desires largely rested on which party they belonged to. Unsurprisingly, Democrats were far more likely to prioritize enshrining in federal law the right to an abortion, while Republicans were much more inclined to prefer Congress focus on stopping immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Quote:
On fiscal issues, Democrats much preferred Congress raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans, whereas Republicans wanted cuts to federal spending.

Quote:
When asked if they supported up to $10,000 in student loan forgiveness for Americans making under $125,000, 4 in 5 Democrats supported the proposal, compared with only 1 in 5 Republicans.
Be interesting to know what they think Biden did that is an impeachable offense. I'm thinking "impeachment" will be normal going forward with whoever has the House.

Quote:
Conversely, 3 in 5 Republicans supported impeaching Biden, which only 1 in 20 Democrats backed.
Not sure I believe this but good early sign I guess.
Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis led with 42 percent among these respondents, followed by Trump with 24 percent and former Vice President Mike Pence with 5 percent.9 No other candidate cleared 5 percent, and 15 percent said they didn’t know who they would support.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-12-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:04 PM   #589
Ksyrup

Re impeachment, the GOP has to impeach as many Biden admin people as possible to put them on level terms as far as Trump goes, PLUS one or two more to show that the Dems are so much worse than the GOP. It serves to normalize it (and excuse Trump) so that there's never a legitimate impeachment going forward.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-12-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:19 PM   #590
Edward64
Head Coach

Unfortunately, probably true.

My guess is the only real shot at impeachment is if the GOP finds some serious Biden culpability in the upcoming Hunter investigations.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:05 AM   #591
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
In fact, 69 percent of Americans agreed that they trusted the results of the midterms, compared with only 16 percent who disagreed. Democrats were more likely to say they trusted the results (88 percent), but a healthy majority of Republicans (65 percent) said the same — a change from what we saw two years ago.

That is indeed good news. If Trump is emphatically defeated, preferably in the primary, and it is similarly accepted then the Big Lie can die. I think that's a first step towards a sane Republican Party. It's also one of those weird questions where we don't really to my knowledge have a long several decades of data on how people's views have changed, because it wasn't even a question that seriously needed to be asked until recent elections.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-13-2022 at 12:06 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote