Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

OT: I've Got It (ESPN NFL 2K5)

I just picked it up from my local EB. I didn't preorder it and had no trouble getting it. Unfortunately I'm now hearing that I may have to stay here at work late. Sonofa...

I will post some impressions if I ever make it home and get to play it!

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Great. Where are you, so I can kill you and steal your game?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
RainRaven
High School JV

My local Eb said they would have the game in tomorrow..... damn
Old 07-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

yeah, I got the same answer. Looks like it's UPS tommorow.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Great. Where are you, so I can kill you and steal your game?

You said that outloud, Foz.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops. My bad.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Gamestop said that if you haven't already pre-ordered it, you better do so now. Apparently the phone has been ringing off the hook all day with people asking about this game. Good to hear.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't received a call from my local GameStop about it coming in! Pitiful! I am off to work now
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Preordered at gamestop and it's still "Processing"

At least I have overnight shipping for when they do finally send it out.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
FBPro
College Starter

I'll have mine at 6:00 pm tonight, just got the call.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 PM   #11
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Mine will be here tomorrow morning at 11 AM. I'll be snagging it when I get up!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

I'll probably swing by Walmart in a couple of days and pick it up. I need some practice time so that I can whup on mckerney when he gets back to school...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mine says "Shipped" on Gamespot, but the tracking shows it's been in Indianapolis since 1:19 PM yesterday and it's waiting for "Future pickup/delivery requested". They better have it for me tomorrow since I asked for overnight shipping! Grrrr
Old 07-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Jeebs, do you have a XBox?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:05 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What'd ya know... just a few seconds ago it said it's shipping! I should have it tomorrow... Weeee!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:24 PM   #16
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I had mine pre-ordered at EB, but all the St. John's Wal-Mart's got them today so I said screw EB. I'm playin it now and it's AWESOME!!!!!!!

David Arquette (sp?) just phoned me to challenge me to a game!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

What's with Best Buy and getting all of the big new releases 7-10 days later than everybody else?

btw my gamestop order shipped too. Can't wait to play it tommorow

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-20-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:54 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
David Arquette (sp?) just phoned me to challenge me to a game!

I'd hang up on that moron. He's just GOTTA be a cheeser...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #19
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
What's with Best Buy and getting all of the big new releases 7-10 days later than everybody else?

Must just be yours. I swung by my Best Buy last Tues. and got NCAA 2005. They had at least 50 Xbox copies and another 50 PS2 copies on a stand, and it was 5 pm.

Now Circuit City, I went by every day from Tues. to Thursday, and they had 0 copies.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I just got a call from the automated Gamestop call thing, saying mine would be in tomorrow. I will be pretty busy the rest of the work week, then going to Chicago on the weekend, so I won't have much time to play it until next week anyways.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Jeebs, do you have a XBox?

Yup

Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM   #22
Tigercat
College Starter

Got the game earlier today. Never played a 2k game before, thus far I am very impressed. I have been a Madden/NCAA player all my life, and I am stunned how the players in this game react more like actual real life players. In Madden and NCAA, it seems like the AI consisted of the computer player doing its pre assigned job(coverage to a certain area, blitz, ect) and then when the play suddenly comes to said player's area, the player instantaniously goes to a new sequence. There was no transition, and if you watch madden/NCAA players long enough you realize that they can often act like robots in that respect.

The players in this game are fluid in what they do. They really look like they are being controled by little humans(fuckin gnomes in my xbox). A computer AI player doesnt *Suddenly* realize the ball is coming his way, stop his old pattern suddenly, and try to make a play on the ball. In this game he gradually transitions from one action to another. This just makes for a much more realistic football experience. This game rocks. If you ever enjoyed football video games and have a console, buy this sucker.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #23
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Called gamestop @ 5pm and they said they will be there in a few minutes, but that they may go fast. The phone had been ringing off the hook. I got there about 530 and got the very last copy. Got it on PS2 and it rocks. Haven't played against the CPU yet, but my friend and I had one hell of a game. The passing game is great. Much more realistic than anything I've ever seen on a videogame. Instead of having all day to pass, you drop back and if they are rushing you, you better get rid of it. As I say that it may not sound like a good thing, but it is very realistic. I was the 9ers and Rattay was 7-11 for 142 yards when he got hurt. Was sacked for the 2nd time and it was a nasty looking hit that broke his arm. Dorsey came in and was 3-7 for 97 yards, 1 int, 1 td. My friend was the lions and Harrington was hit and miss. He made some bad passes. However they were not bad in EA senses. In an EA game the bad pass would have missed by 10 yards. These passes missed by a few feet or a yard making them ripe pickings. This seemed very realistic. Harrington was 14-21 252 yards, 1 td and 1 int. The running game takes some getting used to. We both thought it was kinda stupid, but then I figured out that you have to charge the red meter untill it was full and then press a button to do a job. The first half Kevan Barlow averaged 2.1 ypc. Obviously that had me crying foul. But in the 2nd half I adjusted the running sliders a little bit and figured out the above point and was getting 2-7 yards per. At the end his was up to 4.6 ypc. My friend busted a long 62 yarder for a td. This game is VERY realistic and I'm sold on it. College football will be hitting the shelf, this game is for real. However if I have one complaint it is the kicking meter. It seems WAY too easy to make field goals. btw I won 20-14.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've never tried an ESPN Football game, and I'm really excited to try this game tomorrow night. Thanks for the impressions.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:23 PM   #25
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

And to clear something up, during the post game and half time reports your game highlights are in still pictures(on PS2). However I simmed some weeks and ran a sports center. The CPU games actually have video highlights. I went to week 12 and saw mel kiper's section on sportscenter and it underwhelmed me. He only mentioned 2 players and they both had the same picture.

Last edited by Troll : 07-20-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

As I sit here at work waiting on HP to order a system board for a down server at SBC, I have to smile reading comments like these. Nothing against Madden, as I've had plenty enjoyment out of the series, but I really want Sega to succeed with ESPN 2k5 and from comments I've read on various boards, I'd have to say.. maybe just maybe, they've succeeded in their drive for this years version.

I can't wait until tomorrow!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:41 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
The running game takes some getting used to. We both thought it was kinda stupid, but then I figured out that you have to charge the red meter untill it was full and then press a button to do a job. The first half Kevan Barlow averaged 2.1 ypc. Obviously that had me crying foul. But in the 2nd half I adjusted the running sliders a little bit and figured out the above point and was getting 2-7 yards per. At the end his was up to 4.6 ypc. My friend busted a long 62 yarder for a td.

I hate the charge up meter. I may try to set the sliders so I can get a decent run average without using it. It's just such a stupid way to do it. Real life players don't charge up before making a move... RRRRRRgggh.

That being said, I am still very anxious to get my copy tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:44 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't they have kicking sliders as well? That should make the kicking game harder if you mess with those. Not sure if they do or not though. NCAA does.

Todd
Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 PM   #29
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Yup

Hopefully I can save up and get an Xbox then. I jut have to figure out how to justify spending the $300 on the system, games, and live to my girlfriend which will not be easy.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:49 PM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, I think that most Live enabled games come with a free trial. So get yourself a refurbished system and this game and that's way below $300...

Old 07-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep refurb is the way to go!

Todd
Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #32
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Can I trust a refurbished system and how much do they run for?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:16 AM   #33
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'll be snagging mine in about 12 hours, and I'll be playing it tomorrow night. Look for KingNeb on XBL, and PM me if you wanna play tomorrow night (after 1 AM EST). Also, Thursday night after 6-7 PM would be good too. Catch everyone there!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:24 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Can I trust a refurbished system and how much do they run for?

Mine's worked like a champ and although I traded in my ps2 for it - I think they go for $119 with a free game like Halo, Hitman, etc..

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 AM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

this post summed up my excitement for tomorrow..

Quote:
FootballForever said:
I've been playing the game more the last hour, and I must say that I can't be happier with my purchase of this amazing game. I can't put it down, the graphics are just great, really some times I can't believe what i'm seeing. The gameplay is tight, when playing on Allpro the game is really challeging, I didn't even touch the sliders. For those who don't have it yet, your gonna love it.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 04:22 AM   #36
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Mine's worked like a champ and although I traded in my ps2 for it - I think they go for $119 with a free game like Halo, Hitman, etc..

Todd

Sometimes you can get an even better deal than that. I ordered a refurbed unit off of Gamestop.com for $119, and it came with Splinter Cell, KOTOR, and Morrowind. I didn't even need to buy a game, those were plenty to keep me busy!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:19 AM   #37
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I'm a very, very loyal Madden fan. I wouldn't have even made a purchase of ESPN if it was the same price as Madden. But 20 bucks is basically nothing so I might as well. I always have this thought that Madden is made for the ps2 and ESPN is made for xbox. Why? usually, it seems those people who own ps2 give Madden higher marks, and those with the xbox give ESPN higher marks. Since Sony won't be coming out with their system late next year or even 2006 and xbox is supposed to come out before the new ps comes out. It will benefit ESPN. ESPN seems like it works better with a better system like xbox, while the ps2 and Madden fit together. My prediction is that ESPN will OWN Madden when the new xbox comes out, because Madden will still be friendly to the ps2. Of course, being a homer, I think Madden will easily kick ESPN ass this year. Madden was a better game last and it will be a better game this year.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 AM   #38
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Cool, my thread has caught on like the "Alright Boyz ..." threads.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:41 AM   #39
akw4572
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
I'm a very, very loyal Madden fan. I wouldn't have even made a purchase of ESPN if it was the same price as Madden. But 20 bucks is basically nothing so I might as well. I always have this thought that Madden is made for the ps2 and ESPN is made for xbox. Why? usually, it seems those people who own ps2 give Madden higher marks, and those with the xbox give ESPN higher marks. Since Sony won't be coming out with their system late next year or even 2006 and xbox is supposed to come out before the new ps comes out. It will benefit ESPN. ESPN seems like it works better with a better system like xbox, while the ps2 and Madden fit together. My prediction is that ESPN will OWN Madden when the new xbox comes out, because Madden will still be friendly to the ps2. Of course, being a homer, I think Madden will easily kick ESPN ass this year. Madden was a better game last and it will be a better game this year.

I had ESPN for PS2 last year, and I traded in Madden to get it. I got sick of winning against the AI with 65 yard bombs while sitting around waiting for the rush to get me. ESPN plays like a football game, not like an arcade game. To each his own I guess.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #40
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What is the procedure for calling places up to see if they have this in stock? If they give me some company line, how do I find out if I can drive there tonight, and pick up a copy?

I'm planning on calling up this afternoon and if I find anywhere that has it, heading out after work to get a copy.

Also, how likely is it that somewhere will have a copy?

Thanks,
~rpi-fan
Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #41
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Ok, here are my thoughts after an evening with the game. Now keep in mind that I'm a Madden guy. And when I say I'm a Madden guy I don't mean I'm a Madden guy, I mean I'm a NCAA guy. But same difference. I bought MAdden last year and didn't even play one stinking game - I jsut played around with franchise mode and kept on playing NCAA.

I would have to say that NFL 2K5 is probably the coolest sports game I've ever played as far as graphics and presentation goes. The weekly sportscenter highlights are something I've wanted in games for years. I find it really hard to stay abreast (har har) of the rest of the league and having the highlights helps to keep me in touch and not feel like an island. The franchise mode seems really well put together aside from a few disappointments relating mainly to console vs. pc limitations. It even has one feature that I've wanted in FOF for quite some time - a way to look down the road and see what your cap situation will be like in the years to come.

Having said all that, I just CANNOT get into the gameplay. Even if I were to get over the minor annoyances with the button differences between NCAA and this game, it just doesn't FEEL right. I don't feel like I am in control of the players as much as I am in NCAA. Also, some things feel a bit choppy and unresponsive. For example I play as the SS on defense, and when you move around before the snap it looks completely ridiculous.

I'm not giving up on the game yet as I'm sure a lot of my complaints stem from differences between EA and Sega, but overall the gameplay could be a killer for me. But for $20 it definitely has enough redeeming value to go out and pick up.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 AM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman

Your boy is on the box of ESPN! Show some respect!

I think you've made an assumption without even playing either game yet.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #43
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Your boy is on the box of ESPN! Show some respect!

I think you've made an assumption without even playing either game yet.

Todd

Damn TO! Is there a curse for being on an ESPN cover?

Also, I think a lot of people have been making assumptions without playing either game. Most of them have been pro-ESPN. My post is just my opinion, I might very well be totally wrong.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #44
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Heh...I went to Best Buy this morning and was told they wouldn't be getting the game in until around noon. After I told the salesguy that I wouldn't be able to make it back until tomorrow, he asked me to promise I'd come back.

I said we'd see. Then I drove over to the mall and got a copy at Babbages.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #45
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After 2 hours of sleep my daughter tells me the FedEx guy is here.

I had to play one game before going back to bed and well, I'm in awe. I think the gameplay is great. In fact, I wonder how much I can get for NCAA 2k5 at Gamestop on trade? I honestly don't think I can go back to NCAA's style of football after I really get used to ESPN's. They are totally different, as always, but NCAA was played immensly last year while Madden was traded in and ESPN was only bought because later on it was cheap. Enough Madden vs ESPN - I honestly think both games will be top knotch and well, for $20... yada yada..

The presentation is THE BEST of ANY sports game I have ever played. I thought 2k4 was a good start, but 2k5 is unreal. Getting into a franchise is going to be so easy for me. Can you say 'immersion'? Yes, only one measly game and the presentation has really made me wonder how they fit all of that onto a CD? I played Cardinals at Rams and on default AP - no slider changes - the game had everything I've wanted in a game (I know small sample, but if it plays like this, I'm happy).

Passing has never been so fun and real. I could pick apart the Cardinals secondary at first, until they started adjusting, but it just felt so right throwing the ball to Holt as he made his cut, hitting Faulk out of the backfield in stride, throwing a strike to Maulmalmaua for a TD on a play action. By far the best passing module in any game.

They show stats and more stats during gameplay, breaking down just about everything that has to do with your game. At halftime, Berman recaps the first half, which is really done well. I found myself calling my wife and saying, check out this TD to my tight end in the corner of the endzone.

Once I figure out how much time to make the quarters, my franchise is getting started. I also need to see if you have to adjust the time for simulated games.

Forget sleeping, I'm getting back to this game. I really don't see the need for anything else to be in my Xbox's CD tray but this game. I know I sound fanboyish, but so be it. I'm very happy with this game right out of the box. Running is also a blast as are the hits. Each team also has the VIP for the coach you are playing that week. (It would be neat if coaches got fired and hired so you could see different teams use different VIP's and change up their way of playing football - this is the wave of the future, I can see games having coaches who have VIP's for drafting players, signing certain types of guys, etc..) I played against Dennis Green and I could see his style of play with the Cardinals, which made me think to play a more wide open defensive attack against his passing game.

Off to play some more... I wish I had surroud sound, the hits/tackles are brutal.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 AM   #46
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Another complaint I forgot to mention. For those of us who hate some of the micromanagement aspects of TCY, FOF, etc. do NOT turn on the weekly preparation in franchise! The amount of options available for you to work on is completely insane! You can do all sorts of things from train players every day, to have the coach give a team meeting, to ahve position coaches review film, etc. and within each activity are tons of different options. There are about four or five different things you have to decide on when giving a team meeting. One of them is the tone of your opening comments. There are about seven levels from happy to yelling and screaming. When you train your players you can train a position group and/or select individual players within each group. You decide what muscle groups they work on and how many reps. You must decide all of this stuff EVERY DAY for the ENTIRE WEEK. Some VERY cool options, but I did not have the patience manage all of the crap. It was TCY hell all over again.

I could see myself MAYBE taking the time to do this if I didn't have to do it for every single day of the week! Luckily, you can easily turn this option off when you set up your franchise.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #47
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Dola - One of the cooler NCAA and ESPN comparisons I noticed. New to NCAA this year is the gatorade/water being dumped on the coach. Pretty cool little addition. But when ESPN does it, they do it in style! Once it hits the coach in the back he immediately tries to avoid the rest of it and run away. The players happily chase him down and give him a friendly pat on the back. They are laughing and having a gay ole time. NCAA's "gatorade celebration" seems pretty vanilla when compared to ESPN. And why are the players drinking jello that evaporates upon hitting the atmosphere in NCAA? Weird stuff.

Last edited by mrsimperless : 07-21-2004 at 10:40 AM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wonder if the FedEx guy has delivered it yet?

Being at work sucks.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #49
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I wonder if the FedEx guy has delivered it yet?

Being at work sucks.

hehehe, look at how quick they are, here's my tracking notes for my order!

Date/time

Status

Comments

Jul 21, 2004 7:36 am

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

BLOOMINGTON MN

6:42 am

Arrived at FedEx Destination Location

BLOOMINGTON MN

4:29 am

Left FedEx Sort Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN

4:13 am

Left FedEx Ramp

MINNEAPOLIS MN

4:11 am

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

MINNEAPOLIS MN
Old 07-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

mrsimperless,

I think once you setup your weekly preparation it stays the same, so you just have to tweak things from week to week. I haven't tried that option yet.

One more thing, did I say the passing game is beautiful? It is. Just hit Bruuuuuce.. on a nice strike when I noticed him in single coverage on a post pattern. They show him on the bench and the players are congratulating him. Also, about halfway through the 3rd quarter, they show a breakdown on the field of Bulger's passing stats inside boxes on the field. I also love how after the play, the field view zooms out, but continues on while you choose your next play.

Todd